Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

I didn't know it was even possible to fail flying high unless you had full body nerve paralysis.
There's a 10 minute timer on the mission, and if you don't finish in time the mission fails and you have to start it again. I've run into it a few times when real life decided to interrupt in the middle of the mission. Outside of interruptions, I don't get the complaints unless people are mixing it up with the summer races, which do actually require a slight amount of skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

g0del posted:

There's a 10 minute timer on the mission, and if you don't finish in time the mission fails and you have to start it again. I've run into it a few times when real life decided to interrupt in the middle of the mission. Outside of interruptions, I don't get the complaints unless people are mixing it up with the summer races, which do actually require a slight amount of skill.

I can see it maybe if you've just got the lovely free floater to work with and haven't heard about using the mouse to steer.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lagomorphic posted:

I can see it maybe if you've just got the lovely free floater to work with and haven't heard about using the mouse to steer.

I use the lovely free floater and usually finish in about six minutes.

You would have to be either brain dead or so high / drunk that it's functionally the same. And maybe have two broken arms and be using the keyboard / mouse with your feet.

Even then even money that you accidentally complete it.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
What is the highest the DILEX has ever gotten to date?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It caps at 500 and its hit that a handful of times, but not in a long while.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Some of the new vanity shields are nice

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

That's a sex toy.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Moon Slayer posted:

That's a sex toy.

yup, and up until they started doing the phoenix packs, it was also the single most expensive item in the game believe it or not

i got mine from the phoenix packs

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

pleb

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh drat those vanities look pretty dope.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Moon Slayer posted:

That's a sex toy.

It has a glowing urethra at the tip of the glans that spews out rainbow-trailing fighters.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

FuturePastNow posted:

Lag or latency or whatever it is manages to bounce me off the track a couple times each winter. If you've got an especially lovely connection that leads to lots of rubber-banding, it can be extremely frustrating. And I can see how people with some physical impairments just wouldn't be able to do it.

It's not hard but it does have an unforgiving fail condition. Flying High has far less pressure, yet I see just as many, if not more people complain about it.

I've got a really lovely connection and a computer so old somebody in this thread offered to send me computer parts to upgrade it and the winter race is still trivial.
Every year people post stupid guides to show their method of winning the race and it's always some complicated bullshit either about jumping to end sprinting or doing dodge-rolls. You absolutely do not need to do a bunch of complicated bullshit to win the race though, those people are just making it harder on themselves. Slot the two move-speed traits and you can literally WALK the course. Next winter we'll even have the 5% move-speed tribble to make it easier! Plus any perks they've picked up along the way! Jumping and rolling just makes the thing even harder for people with a lovely framerate/lag: it introduces even more places to gently caress up.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

timjin posted:

I miss the cover shield trolling on Risa. Anyone find anything fun to do so far?

The Triolic Pattern Enhancer can still be used on Risa, as long as you get the timing just right. They have a random chance of summoning an NPC that will murder people. It's a painful process, but the rewards are well worth it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Moon Slayer posted:

That's a sex toy.

Admiral, USS Bad Dragon has successfully penetrated the enemy defences. They're requesting our support.

Admiral: Uhhh *crosses legs uncomfortably*

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume you can't get Disco marks from Summer Monkeys or Birds.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

MikeJF posted:

I assume you can't get Disco marks from Summer Monkeys or Birds.

There's like a 2 month period until they start dropping them in choose your mark boxes. I'm saving mine from endeavors hoping they will appear in them when they start rolling it out.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Nice.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

:69snypa:

So, the next event for making progress on the free T6 token is when? And will it be the last such event?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Blacula posted:

:69snypa:

So, the next event for making progress on the free T6 token is when? And will it be the last such event?

End of the month i think, maybe will be one more after that, dunno. Will probably start a new cycle of them afterward

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Do the summer event for the Risa corvette T6 in the meantime.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
How much of Risa "should" I play to get the fun good stuff out of?

I've got the basic hoverboard and basic hover pack, and the baseball buff.

Should I get that on all toons, or is that just fine for one?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

How much of Risa "should" I play to get the fun good stuff out of?

I've got the basic hoverboard and basic hover pack, and the baseball buff.

Should I get that on all toons, or is that just fine for one?
The expensive hoverboard and floater are a lot more fun, but that's a lot of lolnut grinding if you're not rich enough to buy them off the exchange. There's some nice space barbie stuff available, but it's not necessary at all. Graviton spike is decent for tacs. And there's the new audio emotes for annoying entertaining pubbies in STFs.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Get the graviton spike module for sure, it is one of the best ground powers in the game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I tried a single space battle thing, defence of starbase one. Good to know the immense rubber banding where you teleport around maps for 10 minutes is still there. Never change cryptic.

It's not a bug its a feature.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

g0del posted:

And there's the new audio emotes for annoying entertaining pubbies in STFs.

Where do you get those? Haven’t found a vendor.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Where do you get those? Haven’t found a vendor.

Summer event token shop via your character menus.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Do even pubbies have the sound still on in this game?

Dick Bass
Feb 22, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Do you?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

STO has sound?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tribble posted:

Hangar bays can now be set to autofire, in addition to ship weapons.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
How does that even work? I mean, it makes sense if you've got those super-traits that make launching have additional effects, but otherwise....

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Bloodly posted:

How does that even work? I mean, it makes sense if you've got those super-traits that make launching have additional effects, but otherwise....

If you don’t have one of those traits, your pets are likely dying regularly anyway, so it’s good to have autofire on.

This is a nice quality of life change that doesn’t come anywhere near close to addressing the problems of flying a carrier.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If your hanger pets are the suicidal ramming speed variety then you're all good anyway.

Good to see the autofire implemented. Would be even better to see that for PC space BoFF skills like on the console version.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

DancingShade posted:

If your hanger pets are the suicidal ramming speed variety then you're all good anyway.

Good to see the autofire implemented. Would be even better to see that for PC space BoFF skills like on the console version.

BoFF skills are autofire on the console? That would be amazing and would mean I could get rid of my ahk script spacebar spam.

As an aside, the Jem'Hadar warship is absolutely amazing. I love it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Saul Kain posted:

BoFF skills are autofire on the console? That would be amazing and would mean I could get rid of my ahk script spacebar spam.

As an aside, the Jem'Hadar warship is absolutely amazing. I love it.

They had to as the console players can't make spacebar macros or map 30 boff skills & clicky consoles to a single d-pad.

I thought it would come to PC shortly after but nooooooo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The console UI is obviously way worse to use because of being controller-based which is always awful for an MMO, but irritatingly it does look so much nicer than the PC UI's LCARS.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh by the way apparently they've changed it so that your ship XP only gets updated on map warp-out, for performance reasons. (As usual this game's code is mind-bogglingly awful, I guess)

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I gain 100+ fps with the UI turned off. Yeah it's garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

VectorSigma posted:

I gain 100+ fps with the UI turned off. Yeah it's garbage.

IIRC most of that is the minimap