Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ceodore's USB is okay but unimpressive - a self-buff, Sentinel (which is more or less useless in the NAT-dominated endgame) and enholy. It's basically slightly-better-than-SSB tier.

Ceodore is from The After Years, which is a flaming trash fire that could've been rushed out through RPGMaker for the high levels of quality on display, and thus he and everything else TAY touches is indelibly tainted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Ceodore's USB is okay but unimpressive - a self-buff, Sentinel (which is more or less useless in the NAT-dominated endgame) and enholy. It's basically slightly-better-than-SSB tier.

Ceodore is from The After Years, which is a flaming trash fire that could've been rushed out through RPGMaker for the high levels of quality on display, and thus he and everything else TAY touches is indelibly tainted.
...I was making a joke about Ceodore's dumb catchphrase.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NGDBSS posted:

...I was making a joke about Ceodore's dumb catchphrase.

Oh. :saddowns: Shows how long it's been since I've gone anywhere near TAY. I suppose I'm better off that way, but still.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Oh. :saddowns: Shows how long it's been since I've gone anywhere near TAY. I suppose I'm better off that way, but still.
At least it was only being mildly revisionist and stupid, rather than offensively so like some of the garbage in the FFX collection.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

At least it was only being mildly revisionist and stupid, rather than offensively so like some of the garbage in the FFX collection.

You will not speak ill of X-2 in this house. The actual percentage system and its flaws are balls, but that game is a delight in so many other ways.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

LornMarkus posted:

You will not speak ill of X-2 in this house. The actual percentage system and its flaws are balls, but that game is a delight in so many other ways.
Oh no, X-2 was fine. A bit goofy at times, but earnest and understanding of FFX's core themes.

Instead I was referring to later bullshit like FFX: Will or X-2.5: Eien no Daisho.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

Oh no, X-2 was fine. A bit goofy at times, but earnest and understanding of FFX's core themes.

Instead I was referring to later bullshit like FFX: Will or X-2.5: Eien no Daisho.

. . . I had forgotten about those. Woof. :smith:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just downloaded this back after playing for a month or so a couple of years ago, and there is a lot of new poo poo. Never got very far, just a couple lvl 50 characters and not even 5* stuff.

Apparently I have a free Relic draw from the first 2 book of trials, which besides the pull let me choose a single relic. Any must have stuff from there?

Also, are the 50% off pulls from the newbie banners (FF VII, X and XIII) worth it? I have enough gems for 2 of them right now.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

They're infamously bad banners which are thankfully going to be put out to pasture in a couple of weeks.

At the same time we're going to get discounted banners for every realm (15 myth for a full pull), which are a much better bet. The current half-price Dungeon Update Lucky Draw is also not a bad one.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ripley posted:

They're infamously bad banners which are thankfully going to be put out to pasture in a couple of weeks.

At the same time we're going to get discounted banners for every realm (15 myth for a full pull), which are a much better bet. The current half-price Dungeon Update Lucky Draw is also not a bad one.

I swear I've read the OP :v:

Thanks.

Anything for the Book of Trials Relics?

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Books 1 and 2 are both full of very dated relics - you're probably not going to get a huge amount of use out of any of them, honestly.

I think Bartz's dagger is most often recommended from Vol 1, just because it's a +Wind element boost on a dagger, which comes in handy.

Somebody else might be able to steer you right on Vol 2 - the Discord is also a good place to ask.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Scrounged up enough gems to pull on the lucky.

Might be my best pull ever (only been playing since summer though) in terms of number of disco relics and 5*s
Ceodore usb
Rydia usb + burst
Cid Raines osb
Rem osb

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 12, 2018

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

bartz dagger was volume 2, the only notable relic on book 1 was agrias' shield

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Here's an oddly laid-out but helpful spreadsheet with the selections for each book, whether they're +Element, etc.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I think Fujin's dagger was 2, Bartz's dagger was 1, Bartz's Cloak was 2, and Kaiser Shield was both.

I think Agrias's Kaiser Shield might be the better Book 1 pick with ATK and MAG caps getting their boost eventually, so element boosting armor should pay off better in the long run, and the SB itself is actually a little useful for debuffing early bosses.

My Book 2 recommendation might be FF2 Gordon's Flame Shield - Medium Fire Resist on an armor piece makes it very unique (non-accessories are normally limited to minor resists) and can be useful while waiting for a full set of five resist accessories or when you want to resist multiple elements.

I would also try to complete Book 3 before choosing your Book 1/2 picks, just because the random relic pools from the draw do include relics on the Book 1 and 2 selection lists, so it might make choosing easier.

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock
After THREE loving YEARS of pulling religiously every single day, I get something:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tony Sorete posted:

After THREE loving YEARS of pulling religiously every single day, I get something:

I got a 4* the other day, I’m getting close!

yes I’m aware it doesn’t work that way :negative:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Tony Sorete posted:

Congrats! Now go murder Behemoth King.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

So, another probably stupid question.

According to the Realm Dungeons chart thingy, I should have Cecil on my roster, but I don't. The only people I have from IV are Rydia and Kain. Both Cecils and Rosa appear as "collected" in the stage information, but don't appear as available party members. Am I missing something obvious here?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A while back they changed the rewards for realm dungeons. Any dungeons you did before the change will still be flagged as completed, so you can't get the new rewards, which in this case would be hero records for Cecil and Rosa. Don't worry about it though because hero records and generic hero souls are handed out like candy nowadays.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Fat Samurai posted:

So, another probably stupid question.

According to the Realm Dungeons chart thingy, I should have Cecil on my roster, but I don't. The only people I have from IV are Rydia and Kain. Both Cecils and Rosa appear as "collected" in the stage information, but don't appear as available party members. Am I missing something obvious here?

Might be a bug. DENa revamped the realm rewards a while back and I wouldn't be surprised they missed something. Email them and maybe everyone will get an apology mithril thanks to you!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Hey I'm super casual trash that forgets this game exists for long stretches of time but I did hit the Kingdom Hearts event that happened last winter and was wondering if there is any chance they'd do another like it for the release of KH3? I want to dump a bunch of mithril on my probably not worth it half disney boys.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 13, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know what? I really hate the magic magicite battles, and it's mainly because there are so few options for magic damage. There are 20 different ability schools, but only 6 of them can even do magic damage, and only 2 of those have decent elemental coverage. For fighting Quetzalcoatl, I can use spellblade, monk, heavy, knight, and ninja abilities, and spellblade and monk have 6* options. For fighting Behemoth King, it's literally just black magic and summoning, and only black magic has 6* options.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Just to confirm, if I have a unit whose dive boosts black magic and a double-dark (not darkness) RM, such as Exdeath, there's nothing to take advantage of both parts of that that isn't single-hit and BSBs, correct?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I think sources of +black magic damage that don't specifically say "black magic abilities" work on everything that's coded as BLK, which magical darkness and witch abilities are. I won't 100% swear to it, though.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Caidin posted:

Hey I'm super casual trash that forgets this game exists for long stretches of time but I did hit the Kingdom Hearts event that happened last winter and was wondering if there is any chance they'd do another like it for the release of KH3? I want to dump a bunch of mithril on my probably not worth it half disney boys.
Nothing confirmed yet but it's possible!

Bruceski posted:

Just to confirm, if I have a unit whose dive boosts black magic and a double-dark (not darkness) RM, such as Exdeath, there's nothing to take advantage of both parts of that that isn't single-hit and BSBs, correct?
I believe Darkness magic skills do fall under the Black Magic umbrella, as do Witch skills, but I'm not 100% sure on that

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
BLK damage covers Black Magic, Darkness, Witch, and Bard (heh, it's just Requiem).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Well that's both useful and confusing. Thanks.

What's the proper darkness abilities anyway? Memento Mori/Dark zone if doom-friendly, Dire Heal if not, and Crimson Cross/Dread Weapon for physical? It feels like I should know this, I got a handle on all the other abilities easily enough, but every time I set up a darkness guy I need to figure all this out again.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 13, 2018

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Bruceski posted:

Well that's both useful and confusing. Thanks.

What's the proper darkness abilities anyway? Memento Mori/Dark zone if doom-friendly, Dire Heal if not, and Crimson Cross/Dread Weapon for physical? It feels like I should know this, I got a handle on all the other abilities easily enough, but every time I set up a darkness guy I need to figure all this out again.

That's kind of what I'm going with for Siren.

Garland/CSB/Death Throes/Reaping Scythe,
Raines/BSB/Memento Mori/Dark Zone,
TGC/USB/Lifesiphon/Dread Weapon.

I can't justify the kickback of Crimson Cross on TGC Ability Doubling. It's hard enough to keep up the healing anyway.

I wonder if I might not get more out of Seymour USB than Raines BSB though.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Hogama posted:

BLK damage covers Black Magic, Darkness, Witch, and Bard (heh, it's just Requiem).

Just to add to this, here's a pretty decent post on Reddit that goes into the difference between ability schools (eg Black Magic) and action /damage types (eg BLK).

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Is this new arcane over strike banner worth pulling on if I’m just trying to build up a team after being away forever or should I save my mythril for upcoming stuff?

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
The latest banner, FFXIII? It's not amazing, but if you like the characters featured (Lightning, Noel, Snow, Vanille), you could do worse.

Aside from that, a lot of the answer would depend on what kind of relics you have at the moment, what level of content you're working towards, and how you're doing for mythril. Did you have a chance to pull on Realms on Parade (the 5 mythril draws) before they closed this week?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ripley posted:

Just to add to this, here's a pretty decent post on Reddit that goes into the difference between ability schools (eg Black Magic) and action /damage types (eg BLK).

Huh, apparently all RMs that deal with magic damage are just keyed off BLK/WHT/SUM, even the ones that do say "abilities" in the description. I was wrong in the opposite direction I was expecting to be.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Cattail Prophet posted:

Huh, apparently all RMs that deal with magic damage are just keyed off BLK/WHT/SUM, even the ones that do say "abilities" in the description. I was wrong in the opposite direction I was expecting to be.

OK's dive would double witch/darkness? Testing...

E: nevermind, he can't use either of them.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 13, 2018

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Caidin posted:

As said earlier, nothing confirmed, but if I’m remembering right they did pretty well with the KH event so I’d be shocked if they didn’t do something when KH3 comes out. Hopefully it won’t be a super wet fart like the Octopath Traveler ‘event’.

Also Sora and Riku are pretty good if you have their tech. Assuming they don’t just rerun the old items I imagine they’d be given Awakening SBs which have all been crazy good so far.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Ripley posted:

The latest banner, FFXIII? It's not amazing, but if you like the characters featured (Lightning, Noel, Snow, Vanille), you could do worse.

Aside from that, a lot of the answer would depend on what kind of relics you have at the moment, what level of content you're working towards, and how you're doing for mythril. Did you have a chance to pull on Realms on Parade (the 5 mythril draws) before they closed this week?

Luckily, I did get all the Parade banners.

My team right now is Lightning, Luneth, Laguna, and Sarah, all who I pulled Ultras for in the parade, and then Ramza with shout and unsung hero.

I’m working my way through the year of dungeons I missed and then will have to go back for elites. My general goals right now are just get through all the story content and elites I’m behind on and get enough orbs to create the 5* and 6* abilities I need for the current meta, although I’m still trying to figure out what exactly those are.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Aerox posted:

Luckily, I did get all the Parade banners.

My team right now is Lightning, Luneth, Laguna, and Sarah, all who I pulled Ultras for in the parade, and then Ramza with shout and unsung hero.

I’m working my way through the year of dungeons I missed and then will have to go back for elites. My general goals right now are just get through all the story content and elites I’m behind on and get enough orbs to create the 5* and 6* abilities I need for the current meta, although I’m still trying to figure out what exactly those are.

I believe within a few weeks we'll be getting some banners to replace the newcomers banners, one for each realm in the game, and the first pull on each is 15 mythril so that's another chance to get a good spread of stuff to start with, for like ~200 mythril

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Indecisive posted:

I believe within a few weeks we'll be getting some banners to replace the newcomers banners, one for each realm in the game, and the first pull on each is 15 mythril so that's another chance to get a good spread of stuff to start with, for like ~200 mythril

Ah, awesome -- I"ll save up for that then. Thanks!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Share in my joy, friends. I have finally finished all of the 4* magicites! I am a big boy now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Congrats! Been lazy about them myself the past 3 months, recently got my first few kills on isgebind + tiamat so need to level those up to 99 before finishing up. Well, I could probably make attempts without but it's so much easier with proper magicites, and I'll need them for 5*'s anyway