Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dackel posted:

Why is this game not out yet, what did I, personally, do to deserve this fate

you shouldn't have sung the forbidden song, jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah i did it twice to test and it's this. Theres a part where Alexandre asks the MC what she expects to find at the castle. And depending on which dreams you saw it'll either be positive or negative at which point you'll get one scene or the other.

To complicate things further it seems theres also different dreams people can have. Like the woodsman and the younger miner guy can have a pro or anti emperor dream, probably depending on who you talked to before them. I'm sure there's some secret 3rd option at the end if you pick the exact right choices.

There is! Alternating between the two sets of frozen people leads to a different outcome. The boss fight is the same as the one when you thaw all the people having nightmares but the plot wraps up in a much different way.

I've played through the demo three times. I'm starting to poke around in the files to try and figure out how some systems work. Send help

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Does Scarlet Grace Ambitions have battle/game speed controls? I like my JRPGs fast these days. Very fast.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

bees x1000 posted:

Does Scarlet Grace Ambitions have battle/game speed controls? I like my JRPGs fast these days. Very fast.

Yeah, there’s fast options for the battles and overworld. And the game itself already strips out most of the fluff from rpgs so it’s pretty snappy in general.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The animations for the fast running speed in Emerald when you are in the hub are really good and i like how diva has multiple ones...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i suspect that the monster skill compendium will last between playthroughs, thus making monsters more useful with each playthrough.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
The Scarlet Grace guide on GameFAQs got reformatted and has pictures now to go with its very thorough content. Give it a look!

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I cannot believe how much the demo sold me on everything about this game. The plot, especially the witches, feels like a fever dream and I am here for it. I enjoyed Scarlet Graces well enough, but I dropped off sometime after getting out of that egg.

Very glad I tried the demo out on the steam deck, the menus feel upsettingly sluggish on the switch. I mean, it was fine but noticeably unresponsive. After playing on the deck and seeing how much better everything looks and feels, don't think I could ever go back.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Snake Maze posted:

Same reason people call it the Game Boy Advanced and call the strategy game series Advanced Wars, I assume.

But, "Advanced" is a pretty common word. "Graces" is much less common than just "grace". It doesn't seem like the sort of mistake that this many people would make on accident.

I can't find any evidence that Square ever officially referred to it as graces, even in other languages.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Scarlet Grace sounds like a romance novel Scarlet Graces sounds a bit more like a rpg game. Like if there is one Scarlet Grace that is like a blushing nun or priest. On the other hand, drat there are multiple graces??? Must be some fantasy thing.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tales of Scarlet Graces

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Snooze Cruise posted:

Scarlet Grace sounds like a romance novel Scarlet Graces sounds a bit more like a rpg game. Like if there is one Scarlet Grace that is like a blushing nun or priest. On the other hand, drat there are multiple graces??? Must be some fantasy thing.

There's only one Scarlet Grace in the story! Gosh, it's like you people don't even remember the title drop, which only happens if your main character dies during a specific phase of the final boss and you might need to be on a specific route?

"Haha, there it is! The Scarlet Grace!"

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

There is! Alternating between the two sets of frozen people leads to a different outcome. The boss fight is the same as the one when you thaw all the people having nightmares but the plot wraps up in a much different way.

I've played through the demo three times. I'm starting to poke around in the files to try and figure out how some systems work. Send help

Welp thanks to this I went through that world for a 3rd time and yeah That's definitely pretty different. Though it does make me wonder how "canon" the different variations are supposed to be. Cause if they are all supposed to be a different side of the same story, then this ending definitely has some implications for the other two.

Unless it's supposed to be a parallel worlds sort of thing, where you have versions of the story that are similiar but distinct from one another.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 10, 2024

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

JuniperCake posted:

Welp thanks to this I went through that world for a 3rd time and yeah That's definitely pretty different. Though it does make me wonder how "canon" the different variations are supposed to be. Cause if they are all supposed to be a different side of the same story, then this ending definitely has some implications for the other two.

Unless it's supposed to be a parallel worlds sort of thing, where you have versions of the story that are similiar but distinct from one another.

It's SaGa. Don't worry about it.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you shouldn't have sung the forbidden song, jerk.

Im about to sing enyS gnaL dluA to get us back on track

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

JuniperCake posted:

I think it's that the prior action of the scenario- was the Emperor an rear end in a top hat? What happened to him? Was Alexandre secretly the Emperor the whole time?- is determined by your choices to make sure the conclusion is satisfying, rather than there being a fundamental Truth that you're seeing different perspectives of. The last game pulled this trick a few times and it led to some of it's more memorable moments, so I'm happy they seem to be doubling down on it here.

(I guess it's also possible the heavily implied revisit, which may involve going back there on a subsequent playthrough in the full game will explain everything. Who knows!)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I was planning on starting the PS5 demo a week before the games comes out, but wondering how much gameplay there is. Is there at least 10-14 hours in the demo? Or should I just wait until the game comes out to start playing in case things change from the demo?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Your save transfers over so I wouldn’t expect any big changes, although it sounds like maybe in the full game you won’t necessarily always go to the same world the way you do in the demo?

Biggest difference is probably just that the demo locks you in to a single character.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i went long enough to get a taste and then quit. i'm not gonna put too much effort into a demo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, lock into a character, some of the randomness in world selection, and no repeatable fight areas are the big differences from the full game it seems.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i went long enough to get a taste and then quit. i'm not gonna put too much effort into a demo.

Same here. Even though there is carryover from the demo, I’m still not sure which protagonist I’m going to start with, though Diva was more fun than I expected.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
prolly tsunanori for me. he's the supposed tutorial character. the similiarities to sg kept throwing me off, so it'll take me some time to get used to all the new systems.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm confused. All the characters but Tsunanori were grayed out for me when I played the demo.
Also I thought the game came out on the 21st. I'm even sadder now.

I'm playing Cat Witch in the full release. This is not even a question.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
different platforms got different characters for the demo.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Alright, thanks for the thoughts. I think I'm gonna stay strong and wait for release and then choose who my first playthrough will be then.

One thing I haven't seen: am I going to get to see BENISON! pop on my screen in this one?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm confused. All the characters but Tsunanori were grayed out for me when I played the demo.
Also I thought the game came out on the 21st. I'm even sadder now.

I'm playing Cat Witch in the full release. This is not even a question.
Playstation 4/Playstation 5 demo users can only play Tsunanori. Switch demo users can only play Ameya. Steam demo users can only play Diva No. 5. Your demo save can be continued in the full release.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Cool, thank you. I'm not gonna download the Demo on Switch just to play a different character.
That having been said, I remember something coming out on the 21st but I don't remember what.

Also: It took me 3 tries to beat the last hard spirit (effectively the boss) of the demo but I had only fought like 3 battles before that. If I had chosen more combat would it have been easier or would the fight have scaled to me? (I went Metal Spirit if that answers anything). Also, was the recommended path recommended for any particular reason?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 16, 2024

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ChrisBTY posted:

Cool, thank you. I'm not gonna download the Demo on Switch just to play a different character.
That having been said, I remember something coming out on the 21st but I don't remember what.

Eiyuden's on the 23rd, could you be thinking of that?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Prism posted:

Eiyuden's on the 23rd, could you be thinking of that?

Yes, thank you for anticipating my bad memory.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
As a note, for folks getting the Steam version of EB, Green Man Gaming has it up for preorder for 20% off.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Tortolia posted:

As a note, for folks getting the Steam version of EB, Green Man Gaming has it up for preorder for 20% off.

Thanks for mentioning the website. I haven't used them before but I noticed they have a 20% sale on Eiyuden Chronicles so i'm gonna get that.

Though I couldn't find the sale for EB. Could it be a region thing?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

JuniperCake posted:

Thanks for mentioning the website. I haven't used them before but I noticed they have a 20% sale on Eiyuden Chronicles so i'm gonna get that.

Though I couldn't find the sale for EB. Could it be a region thing?

Green Man Gaming is legit. Been using them for years and they usually have great deals on newer games. The downside is that for some bigger releases, they sometimes may send out their keys a bit later than usual if you want to preload early and play the minute it unlocks.

Another thing is that that some of their deals is behind their XP Loyalty system. It looks like the EB deal is behind that.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 17, 2024

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Another thumbs up for GMG here. When Square Enix decided to release about 8 games in 3 months in 2022 I picked most of them up on GMG because they were mostly 20% off at release too. I don't remember S-E games being much bother at release but Bandai Namco and Capcom are often a bit relaxed in their attitude to releasing keys in time so you might have to wait a few hours or stay up late if you pick up the Elden Ring DLC.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ah, didn’t realize it was a discount for folks who have used them before. Still nice if you apply though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It is very funny how you can tell Minstrel Song is a remake of an SNES SaGa game by how bizarrely terse its dialogue often is. I mean, I don’t hate it, just an observation. Anything noteworthy that isn’t in an ingame tutorial resource?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
yeah I've used gmg for years; they don't always have a deal but it's often enough to be worth checking on spendier releases

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

It is very funny how you can tell Minstrel Song is a remake of an SNES SaGa game by how bizarrely terse its dialogue often is. I mean, I don’t hate it, just an observation. Anything noteworthy that isn’t in an ingame tutorial resource?

There’s a lot not there, including the three different lead ups to the ending depending on your favor with the gods. ER going up pretty fast can lock you out of quests, though the remaster seems more lenient about this than the original remake version did.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Grinding battles is often detrimental and its a good idea to run from maybe like half the fights you find. You'll miss stuff on the first playthrough no matter what. But I've seen people progress like 40% of the ER going back and forth between two areas killing everything looking to complete like 1-2 side quests. It goes up pretty fast when you don't know where to go and you're just like half completing areas/getting lost/etc. Definitely pick the slow pace for it too.

Also always go to taverns and talk to everyone there. Not just for recruiting but also certain side quests. If you need to open up the map, recruiting one of the other protagonists will teach you all the areas they know even if you boot them out right after that. So it's worth doing.

When you're short on people early on, the minstrel is a good person to recruit too. They will leave your party when you enter a tavern but if you spam talk to them a while you can get them to rejoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Avoiding mobs on the map is fine, but actually running from fights is overkill - it wasn’t even possible to run from more than a handful on the PS2 since it took 1 lp from all party members in that one. The vast majority of quests in the game have no MR cap, so I think a new player shouldn’t worry about it too much on their first run. Just don’t grind aimlessly early on, it’s better to stick to doing sidequests since the money and gems will do more to boost your strength.