Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Fair enough.

My wife is trying to transfer her old contacts to her new phone. She did the accounts and sync > google > contacts thing, and it says it synced, but it's not showing up in contacts.google.com or on the new phone. Google quite helpfully says it works automatically. If we have to we can just go to Best Buy and get them transferred, but it seems like it shouldn't be that hard. I did it on my phone, but I don't remember how.

1. ... Sync Now

2. It can't sync SIM contacts.

3. If the old phone is a Samsung or something it might not be syncing from the old phone. Samsung prefers itself or your carrier to Google for contacts sync because loving Samsung. Check it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

3. Samsung prefers itself or your carrier to Google for contacts sync because loving Samsung. Check it too.

This isn't true at all. Maybe that's different in the US?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah in the US, at minimum, the S3 and S5 both default to not syncing contacts to Google. You can enable it, but obviously random rear end people will usually not know to.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Apparently it does it very fast/seamlessly too, to the point where you don't even notice that it's on. I can't wait for mine.

It does and it's fully legit.

Source: I got a Pixel y'all. Returned the 7+.

We always come home, eventually. :newlol:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DemonMage posted:

Yeah in the US, at minimum, the S3 and S5 both default to not syncing contacts to Google. You can enable it, but obviously random rear end people will usually not know to.

This is how we end up in a 2016 with people still losing their contacts.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The camera on the pixel is good enough that I wish I could use their processing instead of canon's on my dSLR. Its *very* good.

Does Google do their magic if you upload through photos?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ziji posted:

My Droid Turbo rules but I am in the market for something newer. I went to the Verizon store today and checked out the Pixel and Pixel XL, and I think I like the feel of the Pixel better. It was way faster and more responsive than my Turbo, and the Daydream VR headset looked pretty cool. Is there any reason to get the XL over the regular Pixel aside from personal preference on the size of it?
Battery life is reportedly slightly better on the XL but is fine on both. Otherwise, as above, they are identical.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunga posted:

Battery life is reportedly slightly better on the XL but is fine on both. Otherwise, as above, they are identical.

I mean even slightly worse than this ain't bad.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

How do Android phones as a navigation device stack up against dedicated solutions like a Garmin or a TomTom? Can I expect better accuracy/routing improvements with a dedicated device?

I've used Google maps occasionally and had the feeling that the instructions were lagging behind a lil on occasion.

This doesn't matter for most people, but I thought it was interesting: My in-laws RV full time and they have a special GPS unit that knows the size and weight of their truck+trailer combo and routes with that in mind. Really handy knowing you aren't going to be surprised by a low bridge.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.

Ziji posted:

My Droid Turbo rules but I am in the market for something newer. I went to the Verizon store today and checked out the Pixel and Pixel XL, and I think I like the feel of the Pixel better. It was way faster and more responsive than my Turbo, and the Daydream VR headset looked pretty cool. Is there any reason to get the XL over the regular Pixel aside from personal preference on the size of it?

I came from a turbo to the Pixel. Go for it. I am extremely happy. It's nice having a phone that's not as thick with a way better screen and camera.

The battery for me is better then my turbo (but mine was not holding a charge as much as it used to). The only thing that I miss is the wireless charging.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RZA Encryption posted:

This doesn't matter for most people, but I thought it was interesting: My in-laws RV full time and they have a special GPS unit that knows the size and weight of their truck+trailer combo and routes with that in mind. Really handy knowing you aren't going to be surprised by a low bridge.

This is cool but there must be a good gps app with the same features.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There definitely is, the only time I could see a need for dedicated GPS would be in countries that didn't allow road mapping. Two years ago in Costa Rica I know Google maps was poo poo there and you had to rent a GPS unit. Of course no one should drive there since their idea of road signs are maybe we put a picture or some words with a estimated distance pointing in a vague direction.

Finally saw good SoT with 6 hours 9 minutes yesterday. 18 hours later had 15% battery left. Night and day difference between my N6 and XL

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My truck driver brother in law uses an app designed with trucks in mind (takes into account road restrictions and bridges and the like).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

dont be mean to me posted:

1. ... Sync Now

2. It can't sync SIM contacts.

3. If the old phone is a Samsung or something it might not be syncing from the old phone. Samsung prefers itself or your carrier to Google for contacts sync because loving Samsung. Check it too.

I'm not sure what you mean by Sync Now. The old phone says everything was synced at the right time, the new one says it was synced at the right time.

If the contacts are SIM contacts, they would have come over when the old SIM was put in the new phone, right?

It's an LG to a Motorola. Motorola Migrate apparently was retired for Marshmallow, though.

I tried plugging the phone in and navigating to com.android.providers.contacts or whatever that folder is called, but it didn't show with the rest of the com.android.providers folders. When I tried typing it in on the file path bar, it couldn't find it.

Would going from KitKat or Lollipop to Marshmallow cause some sort of compatibility issues with contacts on the same SIM card?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

How does google contact syncing work on android? If I want to have my contacts synced am I going to see a giant list of everyone I've ever emailed when I make a phone call?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Incessant Excess posted:

How do Android phones as a navigation device stack up against dedicated solutions like a Garmin or a TomTom? Can I expect better accuracy/routing improvements with a dedicated device?

I've used Google maps occasionally and had the feeling that the instructions were lagging behind a lil on occasion.

I use my note 3 for driving too and from work every day. It tells me the best route to take and will suggest faster routes if you get stuck in traffic. It is a life saver. I wouldn't want to go without it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

DuckConference posted:

How does google contact syncing work on android? If I want to have my contacts synced am I going to see a giant list of everyone I've ever emailed when I make a phone call?

You can usually tell your phone to only display contacts with phone numbers. I was wary of setting it up, but after some merging and using that option it's been fine.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

I came from a turbo to the Pixel. Go for it. I am extremely happy. It's nice having a phone that's not as thick with a way better screen and camera.

The battery for me is better then my turbo (but mine was not holding a charge as much as it used to). The only thing that I miss is the wireless charging.

Thanks for all the replies guys! The Verizon store near me only has the 32gb version and I wanted the 128gb, so I think I'm just going to order it online. Looking forward to getting it in the mail!

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

effika posted:

You can usually tell your phone to only display contacts with phone numbers. I was wary of setting it up, but after some merging and using that option it's been fine.

Having to manage that sounds kind of annoying, especially if some generated contact ends up having a phone number.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DuckConference posted:

Having to manage that sounds kind of annoying, especially if some generated contact ends up having a phone number.

It's not annoying, it's super easy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yup, perfectly happy with Pixel battery. 20 hours off charge, 4hr SoT, at 23% left.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So, assuming that the Pixel doesn't turn into a garbage fire 3 months in, it's the Android phone to beat right?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Luchadork posted:

So, assuming that the Pixel doesn't turn into a garbage fire 3 months in, it's the Android phone to beat right?

Or a lithium fire.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Luchadork posted:

Absolutely.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

All USB-C to USB-C cables are safe, right? It's the A to C cables that you have to be careful with? If so, what are the good choices right now?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IuniusBrutus posted:

All USB-C to USB-C cables are safe, right? It's the A to C cables that you have to be careful with? If so, what are the good choices right now?

Look in the OP

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Luchadork posted:

There were a lot of people really pissy in this thread about it not having giga insano specs but hoshit it turns out specs aren't all there is to performance at the end user level.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

FAUXTON posted:

There were a lot of people really pissy in this thread about it not having giga insano specs but hoshit it turns out specs aren't all there is to performance at the end user level.

I actually thought the consensus was that the specs were exactly what was expected, but it was missing other features, notably waterproofing, that other phones in the price bracket have.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Nobody complained about the specs. The 821 is brand new, the RAM is fast and plenty of it, the storage is fast, the camera spec is good, the screen/resolution is great, etc. As Mr. Powers said, the complaints are about qi and waterproofing, not hardware specs.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
Somewhat more technical today:

Replaced the battery in my Nexus 5. It gave me eight red LED blinks, pause, repeat. This indicates low charge on the battery. After trying and failing to charge overnight pressed on the back near the battery connection a bit. At this point it could charge.

Can't boot. Normal boots (don't press anything) get to the boot animation and sit there forever. Cache wipes and factory wipes fail related to cache partition .Enter recovery and I'm told the cache partition can't mount. Try formatting, etc., get told about a remote write failure through adb.

Presumably this is a hardware fault around the cache partition? Is there a way to create a new cache partition and use it instead?

Assuming the phones pooched I'm tempted by the Oneplus 3, or waiting to see if the rumours are true about the Oneplus 3T. Any thoughts on either of these phones?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

All this Pixel hype is making me feel real bad I can't shell out 700+ dollars on another phone at the moment. That's like, more than 3 months of my car payment. Here's to hoping the 6p goes on a fire sale on Black Friday the same way I bought a brand new Nexus 6 last year for $199 on Amazon.

Anyways, Moto M(?) possibly coming out in the next week or so? Aluminum unibody, Snapdragon 625, rear fingerprint scanner, 5.5in display and 5,100mAh battery? Or are those specs of the Lenovo Vibe P2? Could be something interesting coming here to bridge the gap between the G4 and Z.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Mental Hospitality posted:

All this Pixel hype is making me feel real bad I can't shell out 700+ dollars on another phone at the moment.

If it wasn't for the financing option, I likely wouldn't have dropped $750+ on a new phone either. Seeing as how I kept my N5 for 3+ years, I don't think I'll have any issue at all keeping the Pixel for at least two years and $32/month is a lot easier to swallow. Especially since I switched to Google Fi at the same time which is saving me a little bit of money and the financing payment is bundled together with the service charge so it will all just auto-pay every month and I don't even have to think about it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

Nobody complained about the specs. The 821 is brand new, the RAM is fast and plenty of it, the storage is fast, the camera spec is good, the screen/resolution is great, etc. As Mr. Powers said, the complaints are about qi and waterproofing, not hardware specs.

There was plenty of complaining about the specs for the price, but I stand corrected on it mainly being in the Pixel announcement thread and not this one.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Mental Hospitality posted:

All this Pixel hype is making me feel real bad I can't shell out 700+ dollars on another phone at the moment.

I'm hoping it gets a price drop by tax return time next year

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Went to an air show with my son this weekend and finally had a phone that I didn't feel like I had to fumble with to make it work. Even with the hustle and bustle of a large public event.

The double press for camera is so fast and so useful. I was able to snag pictures and videos at a moments notice and every single one of them look fantastic. In the past, I just didn't have a shortcut to the camera like that or the camera app took more than a few seconds to start and be ready to use. Not the case at all with the Pixel.

edit:
Decided to go back through the pictures to see if I got flare'd... Of the 27 pictures I took, 1 got the flare.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 31, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

FAUXTON posted:

There was plenty of complaining about the specs for the price, but I stand corrected on it mainly being in the Pixel announcement thread and not this one.

Despite the revisionist history around here, there were pages and pages of bitching about the pixel up until people actually started getting their hands on them in this thread too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Khisanth Magus posted:

Despite the revisionist history around here, there were pages and pages of bitching about the pixel up until people actually started getting their hands on them in this thread too.

I was admittedly part of the cadre who originally said it wasn't blowing anything out of the water while asking for a flagship level price. Granted, flagships aren't always supposed to be "we are in a new age, gentlemen" things but in hindsight I think a lot of people were expecting something similar to the Nexus where concessions were made in the build but without the Nexus pricepoint that makes it a worthwhile buy.

Once in hand, you get to feel the build quality and see the end user performance and picture fidelity and all that and it turns out that yes indeed the price fits the performance. It's just that skepticism is easy when you're expecting a Nexus and not a Pixel.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I haven't owned a real flagship phone since the iPhone 3G, but holy poo poo this Pixel loving owns. God drat.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

It's just that skepticism is easy when you're expecting a Nexus and not a Pixel.

Skepticism is pretty much the correct approach to new Android hardware in general. But I've got to say, I'm pretty much convinced (mostly by the folks here) that my next phone will be a Pixel if financially possible.

I'm in no rush though, long as my N6 holds out. (Which is a good thing since I gather that if I ordered one today I'd get it in 2033 anyway!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Oh Google.

Notification LED doesn't work for missed calls or voicemails. Apparently this has been the case since last year's Nexus devices and they still haven't fixed it. Fantastic.