Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emron
Aug 2, 2005

In theory you can just roll your dude up to all 9s, since there's no level cap, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Holy gently caress, defend settlement missions do not gently caress around. There's about 10 super mutants attacking a settlement with a population of two people, including a guy with a fatman lobbing nukes at everything.

I'm sorry, settlement, but I guess the minutemen might not be there this time.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Does Survival get any less bullet spongey? I don't know why I expected anything less

Yes, but enemies around your same level will always take a shitload of hits.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm laughing at everyone bitching about character motivation. I thought the agreed upon method for playing bethesda games is when some story npc is like "Follow me!" the first thing you do is jump over the first bush you see and hare off into the wilderness, only going back to see him when you've run out of other poo poo to do.

It really only matters to me in as much as it affects the structure of the game's quests. I liked New Vegas's quests a lot because they could be a lot more open-ended--there was much less of an assumed path or assumed outcome, and you weren't forced into this sort of "I have to find my son!" thing.

Maybe a better way to put it is: yeah, I mean, that is a fun way to play Bethesda games, but it's harder to swallow when we've seen this type of game built in such a way that encourages you to play that way and, in fact, rewards it, rather than simply allowing it and just letting you come back to your supposedly urgent main plot whenever you want to.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Is there such a thing as an RPG plot that isn't urgent? Is it good not to be urgent? Mass Effect is all about stopping evil mind control spaceships from destroying the galaxy, but you still are expected to do sidequests and stuff and will get bad endings if you don't grind resources.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Dunno if this is a weird question but is the combat in Fallout 4... action-y? Intense?

My biggest problem with 3 and NV is all the animation felt like everyone was wearing a suit of armor underwater.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if i make power armor material mods, then make a different one on the same piece, is the old mod lost?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

New Vegas isn't too urgent.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's not really "just lying around" it's located by a crashed Vertibird that you just happen to run into early on and I'm not sure how getting one suit early makes it less rare or valuable. If it's ruining your immersion so hard you can just not use it until you're 20 hours in or whatever. You have the power.

More info?

It's meant to be used to kill that deathclaw. I on the other hand completely forgot about it and ended up killing that motherfucker through a mix of grenades, molotovs, and lots of .38 ammo.

I eventually went and snagged it, but I've yet to use it at all.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Harrow posted:

It really only matters to me in as much as it affects the structure of the game's quests. I liked New Vegas's quests a lot because they could be a lot more open-ended--there was much less of an assumed path or assumed outcome, and you weren't forced into this sort of "I have to find my son!" thing.

Maybe a better way to put it is: yeah, I mean, that is a fun way to play Bethesda games, but it's harder to swallow when we've seen this type of game built in such a way that encourages you to play that way and, in fact, rewards it, rather than simply allowing it and just letting you come back to your supposedly urgent main plot whenever you want to.

Witcher 3 had the same problem re: the supposed urgency of the main quest, but the storytelling and characterization were both so good that I learned to relax and forget about it. This game, so far...not so much.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's not really "just lying around" it's located by a crashed Vertibird that you just happen to run into early on and I'm not sure how getting one suit early makes it less rare or valuable. If it's ruining your immersion so hard you can just not use it until you're 20 hours in or whatever. You have the power.

That's not the point.
It's the fact that it's there at all, just lying around.

Even FO3 took its time before giving you power armor right out of the gate.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Does anyone know if joining the BoS locks me out of anything? I have two saves, one where I didn't join and another where I did. I mean a free second set of power armor sounds like a pretty easy sell.

Deakul posted:

That's not the point.

On the other hand power armor isn't an "Always Wear This" thing like in previous games. I wouldn't even think of it as armor, think of it as a limited use vehicle to power you through poo poo you couldn't deal with otherwise.

I've yet to use mine except as a test drive. Eventually I'll run into some poo poo I can't deal with, and I'll armor up for that. But power cores are limited so it behooves me not to do that on the reg.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 10, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, because I'm paralyzed with choice:

Has anyone made a build that goes heavy on Luck? How's it going for you? Do perks like Better Criticals, Grim Reaper's Sprint, and Critical Banker feel worth it? Do you pretty much only use VATS? I really can't decide if I want to go 3 Luck (just grab Bloody Mess) or all the way to like 8 Luck for crits everywhere.

Alternatives would be leveling up Strength to grab Strong Back and maybe Heavy Gunner, or Endurance/Charisma to basically become immune to the negative effects of chems and alcohol.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 10, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deakul posted:

That's not the point.

You could get a set within an hour if you walked to DC or the Outcasts, the difference is you couldn't use it without the power armor training.

e: Or instantly, if you hit the random encounter that had raiders looting a dead Outcast.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Emron posted:

In theory you can just roll your dude up to all 9s, since there's no level cap, right?

I would also like to know this, as it seems like it should work just fine. Is there a downside I'm missing?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Day Man posted:

I would also like to know this, as it seems like it should work just fine. Is there a downside I'm missing?

Your character would massively suck, and you should roll til 10 because bobbleheads boost you to 11.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emron posted:

Day Man posted:

There is a limited amount of quest XP available in the game, and XP from kills will level you very slowly. In theory you could max everything out by just leveling eternally, but eventually that'll just become an awful grind. Apparently you can reasonably expect to end up somewhere between level 50 and 60 playing the game normally, so most people plan their builds around that assumption.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Harrow posted:

Okay, because I'm paralyzed with choice:

Has anyone made a build that goes heavy on Luck? How's it going for you? Do perks like Better Criticals, Grim Reaper's Sprint, and Critical Banker feel worth it? Do you pretty much only use VATS? I really can't decide if I want to go 3 Luck (just grab Bloody Mess) or all the way to like 8 Luck for crits everywhere.

I have gone heavy on luck. You bank Criticals very quickly in VATS (make sure you use VATS a lot) and the Luck-10 Ricochet doesn't kick in often, but it has saved my life a few times. The Idiot Savant perk is really awesome sometimes, I had it proc on a quest finishing, got 3X the exp for that quest and leveled up twice on the spot. Just know that it doesn't kick in hardly at all once you have high intelligence (but intelligence magnifies all EXP you get to make up for that). Finding more money and ammo is useful, naturally.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Day Man posted:

You can absolutely do that. The downside is many other perks are massively useful so you'd almost certainly be worse off. Seeing as you can level forever, with enough time I guess it'll happen anyway.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

smoobles posted:

Dunno if this is a weird question but is the combat in Fallout 4... action-y? Intense?

My biggest problem with 3 and NV is all the animation felt like everyone was wearing a suit of armor underwater.

The movement system is clunky, and to make things worse, I think AP is both your VATs meter and Sprint meter. Your AP is rather restricting but you can get more with perks or stats. That said, sometimes it is intense.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Harrow posted:

There is a limited amount of quest XP available in the game, and XP from kills will level you very slowly. In theory you could max everything out by just leveling eternally, but eventually that'll just become an awful grind. Apparently you can reasonably expect to end up somewhere between level 50 and 60 playing the game normally, so most people plan their builds around that assumption.

If you take intelligence as your primary stat you should wind up around level 100, maybe, so there is that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

seventimessix posted:

I've played about 4 hours on Xbox and have yet to see that hard stuttering, but I'm playing the digital version off an external hard drive. If you watch the Giant Bomb quick look you can see some of it in the video and they're playing on PS4, so I wonder if it's an issue with playing with a disk copy or something.

This is 2015. All game consoles now fully install to hard drive. Some of them stream from disc when you start but that's just to avoid taking forever to install, once you're a couple hours in all the game is running off the HDD. Discs are only used for install and to verify purchase on PS4 and Xbone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speedball posted:

I have gone heavy on luck. You bank Criticals very quickly in VATS (make sure you use VATS a lot) and the Luck-10 Ricochet doesn't kick in often, but it has saved my life a few times. The Idiot Savant perk is really awesome sometimes, I had it proc on a quest finishing, got 3X the exp for that quest and leveled up twice on the spot. Just know that it doesn't kick in hardly at all once you have high intelligence (but intelligence magnifies all EXP you get to make up for that). Finding more money and ammo is useful, naturally.

Hm. I don't think I want to VATS constantly. I want to VATS sometimes, but not all the time, if only because the non-VATS shooting actually doesn't completely suck this time. Still worth it then, or would my points be better spent elsewhere?

Fish Fry Andy posted:

If you take intelligence as your primary stat you should wind up around level 100, maybe, so there is that.

Whoa, Intelligence is that strong in its XP boosting? I'm planning on going for around 6-7 Intelligence (before bobblehead, so ending up at 7-8). What'll that do for my leveling rate?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Is there such a thing as an RPG plot that isn't urgent? Is it good not to be urgent? Mass Effect is all about stopping evil mind control spaceships from destroying the galaxy, but you still are expected to do sidequests and stuff and will get bad endings if you don't grind resources.

Skyrim and New Vegas both felt like something you should do eventually but not super urgent. Which worked really well for this type of game.

"You need to find your lost baby" feels like you're a douche if you don't do it RIGHT NOW which really doesn't fit a TES style game at all. But whatever.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Basic question, but I'm guessing that workshop mode doesn't apply to all locations. Like, can I break down broken stuff out in the wilderness, or smash up raider huts?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
anyone know where to find different power armor parts? tryna get past that t45 tech

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

smoobles posted:

The combat plays out pretty much exactly like 3 warts and all, dumb AI and all, although the shooting itself feels slightly better and VATS is a little different.

Animations still not great.

Colgate posted:

Basic question, but I'm guessing that workshop mode doesn't apply to all locations. Like, can I break down broken stuff out in the wilderness, or smash up raider huts?

I'm wondering the same because that'd be awesome but its not the impression I'm getting. Like there'll just be several pre-made settlement places you can work on and only those.

Course somebody'll probably mod it before long so you can just smash down anything.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Anyone else kind of bummed that power armor seems to be a limited time power up, and not real armor you get to wear full time? Does this change later in the game at all?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I was pretty unhappy with melee on Survival difficulty until I found a bunch of legendary disarm chance armor and the gear in Hubris Comics. Everything still deals stupid amounts of damage but at least I also do that much damage now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Hm. I don't think I want to VATS constantly. I want to VATS sometimes, but not all the time, if only because the non-VATS shooting actually doesn't completely suck this time. Still worth it then, or would my points be better spent elsewhere?

Yeah I'm doing a non-VATS gunslinger and I haven't bothered much with luck at all. It seems like a pretty go/no-go stat depending upon your VATS usage.

There's a ton of great perks in perception and agility, even endurance.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

"You need to find your lost baby" feels like you're a douche if you don't do it RIGHT NOW which really doesn't fit a TES style game at all. But whatever.

The game does this, and also somehow manages to completely avoid acknowledging that on the face of it, he is almost certainly gone forever (which would of course have helped to alleviate many of the concerns being voiced here)

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Anyone else kind of bummed that power armor seems to be a limited time power up, and not real armor you get to wear full time? Does this change later in the game at all?

If you go high enough in INT and get Nuclear Physicist you should be able to use it pretty much all the time.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Colgate posted:

Nope. Only to 'allied settlements' (Anywhere that has a workshop that you've done a mission for. There'll be a wide green barrier in workshop mode to show you the limits of where you can salvage.)

Note that some locations require you to just clear the place out, and people will only come if you set up the radio tower. You can use those locations as your personal fuckoff forts if you want.

It's also worth talking to the Abernathy's, and getting the perk to have a 'general trader' as the former will sell you straight up shipments of materials (Like concrete) and the latter will always have assorted junk for parts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I dunno that's not entirely the impression I got, although if you can wear power armor 24/7 that's pretty loving powerful, so it should take awhile to get to that point.

This game actually lets you customize your power armor, so I think its going to be a huge deal just more late-game obviously. I wonder if you can kit your power armor to use less energy or if its just making it stronger or what.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Can't believe my piece of poo poo PC is running this game. Everything on low, but the computer is 5 years old and has 6GBs of RAM.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

rap music posted:

-sensually removing pants from corpses breaks the game and is completely loving my immersion

Funny enough the skeleton corpse with vault jump suit literally have a formed body and full rear end, Bethesda is just that lazy.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Harrow posted:

Whoa, Intelligence is that strong in its XP boosting? I'm planning on going for around 6-7 Intelligence (before bobblehead, so ending up at 7-8). What'll that do for my leveling rate?

Each point of intelligence is worth 6.66% bonus experience, so you can have up to 73~% bonus XP. It's absurdly good, I've gotten two levels off of a single quest before.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'm doing a non-VATS gunslinger and I haven't bothered much with luck at all. It seems like a pretty go/no-go stat depending upon your VATS usage.

There's a ton of great perks in perception and agility, even endurance.

So many of the coolest perks are so VATS-centric that I can't help but feel like I'm playing the game wrong for not using VATS constantly. It seems like almost any perk that isn't "do more damage with X" or "Y consumables are stronger/last longer" is something that only works in VATS. :smith:

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Randomzx posted:

Funny enough the skeleton corpse with vault jump suit literally have a formed body and full rear end, Bethesda is just that lazy.

nothing at all!

stupid sexy skeleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So is there a primer anywhere on how armor crafting and parts works in this game?

• Locked thread