Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
more tiger trouble

https://my.mixtape.moe/nlfmcq.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'm the 3 guys kan renao'ing at close range from behind the impenetrable safety of a scooter.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Known Lecher posted:

I'm the 3 guys kan renao'ing at close range from behind the impenetrable safety of a scooter.

I'm the guy who thought that was a brilliant idea.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

虎妈

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Known Lecher posted:

Tiger knows where the danger is.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is no voting in China so "I never thought leopardsTigers would eat MY face,' sobs woman who voted for the LeopardsTigers Eating People's Faces Party" does not apply and everyone was perfectly safe. Even the Tiger was in on it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
My first month in China I ate a supermarket roubing I shouldn't have, and spent four and a half hours that night puking and making GBS threads the entire contents of my stomach and intestines out. (When I wasn't collapsed on the bathroom floor for at most 5 minutes of rest.) After an hour and a half of dry-heaving, I started throwing up again. Turns out your intestines can run backwards.

Most intense workout I've ever gotten.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

peanut posted:

Giardia is real bad. For six weeks I threw up anything I ate before lunch, and I had diarrhea for so long I actually stopped peeing, and my poop turned white because my flora was knocked out. Repeating that during the biggest physical and mental growth spurts of childhood is devastating.

I got Giardiasis twice in China and it's hilarious (as an adult at least), you get like minute long farts. Tinidazole clears it right away too, just took a few days to figure it out the first time.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My local doctor in Japan just shrugged because it wasn't bacterial and he couldn't be arsed to look up common illnesses in developing countries.
I'm the idiot for not trying a different clinic sooner.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
https://my.mixtape.moe/nvrvky.mp4

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
It is ancient confucian wisdom about the sound of one hand clapping jeez.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

This is sane. This is normal.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Lady Galaga posted:

Not really surprising but the watchpeopledie subreddit is pretty much all Chinese road accidents these days

I had a look, and the sheer number of old Chinese men walking in the middle of the street (at night) or getting backed over by trucks going 2kph is astounding.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
The (Self) Struggle is real.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Blistex posted:

I had a look, and the sheer number of old Chinese men walking in the middle of the street (at night) or getting backed over by trucks going 2kph is astounding.

it's a lot like when you play a stealth game on Very Easy mode and all the enemies have near-zero sound detection and vision cones that are really narrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDqGzDrWNYg

Edit: I havent checked that subreddit but when I see this stuff on weibo a surprising amount of videos involve someone on a scooter cutting directly in front of construction vehicles and then slowing down/stopping and being slowly driven over when the truck pulls out without ever seeing them

LentThem fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 29, 2017

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

There's a crack in here about D&D, but I'm too busy with burritos.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I just had a conversation with my Chinese colleague about the old guy who lost a couple of fingers trying to feed money to a tiger. Apparently he gave a interview afterwards in which he expressed surprise that the tiger didn't understand the value/usefulness of money. I checked twice and this is definitely what he said.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
i really want to write a scifi or fantasy book where i take the most inscrutable aspects of chinese people and fuse them into some imaginary race of people. what do you think would be the coolest features to add in there? the idea of a guy thinking a tiger would value money is a good one. i think the trick would be to make it not read like an outright caricature; you'd need to somehow really hit the chinese geist and humanize it as much as possible

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

yaffle posted:

I just had a conversation with my Chinese colleague about the old guy who lost a couple of fingers trying to feed money to a tiger. Apparently he gave a interview afterwards in which he expressed surprise that the tiger didn't understand the value/usefulness of money. I checked twice and this is definitely what he said.

It's funny, back during the first thread myself and a few other people would tell tales about turbo-tarded Chinese olds, and how they would do this, or that, or believe this or that, and for the most part were were labelled racists and were told, "nobody can be that stupid en mass" despite us living there and living it. A few years later, and now nobody bats an eye when you relay a story about some guy in Harbin trying to heat his home with an open tub of gasoline, or grandparents selling their grand-kids to a brick factory.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

angel opportunity posted:

i really want to write a scifi or fantasy book where i take the most inscrutable aspects of chinese people and fuse them into some imaginary race of people. what do you think would be the coolest features to add in there? the idea of a guy thinking a tiger would value money is a good one. i think the trick would be to make it not read like an outright caricature; you'd need to somehow really hit the chinese geist and humanize it as much as possible

Congrats you've just invented a more whimsical Ferengi.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BexGu posted:

Congrats you've just invented a more whimsical Ferengi.

The Ferengi at least were shocked that hoo-mans used to smoke cigarettes and that we polluted our own planet's atmosphere with nuclear testing, so I think it's more like he's invented turbo-Ferengi.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

you partially covered this in the coal-miner-poo poo-trench, but i love the idea of exploring the facet of experiencing a feeling when you do an action because it is common knowledge that if you do X action you will experience Y feeling.

"November is a cold month. If you wear a puffy jacket in November, you will feel comfortable. It is November so I am wearing a puffy jacket, therefore I feel comfortable. You aren't wearing one, so you must not feel comfortable"
"...it's 26C I don't need one"
"It is November, you must be feeling terrible, let me get a puffy jacket for you so you can feel comfortable."

but it would have to be done in a way that isnt portrayed as "haha thats stupid" and that's tough unless it's some fantasy race that actually can influence their own feeling in a mind-over-matter kind of way and they are surprised that others cant

or maybe something with old-people exercise where people over 45 will just be standing around and lightly slapping their biceps, triceps, and forearms for a good 20 minutes

LentThem fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 29, 2017

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I think the most interesting way to do it would just be to make it all happen within that culture. You have like a close first-person POV, maybe even present tense, and the whole time you're reading it's really really jarring what people are doing and acting is completely normal

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

when I saw the video of the two guys fighting with construction equipment on the street I got really inspired to try to write a short story based on it, but I never did it. I didn't know if I wanted to remove it further from reality by making it scifi, or if I just wanted to write it without "masking" at all and just make it really tight first person POV from the guy who started the fight

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

This could be an interesting way to explore it but representing an actual world culture as literally aliens (in order to critique it) without coming off as insulting sounds like a superhuman tightrope walk of writing

Edit: added the part in parentheses for clarity

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 29, 2017

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

isn't morrowind basically that already?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

The City & The City has the right degree of deliberate obliviousness, but about the wrong things.

In a year in China, the only food that made me noticably ill was a 7/11 salad.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Dzhay posted:

In a year in China, the only food that made me noticably ill was a 7/11 salad.

wow are you doing 711 wrong

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Instead of a people with a dynamic culture, maybe it's a sentient culture that has dynamic people?

Also the "mind over matter" ability sounds plausible as well. Regardless of the choice, it has to be a "5,000 years" choice.

ladron posted:

wow are you doing 711 wrong

I can't speak for China, but in Japan, 7/11 is a goddamn utility knife of a convenience store. Hell, American 7/11 has "chef made meals" for sale, plus franchise-exclusive options. Only way I see "salad at 7/11" being bad is no access to fresh salad.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Another Chaoshan success story. The best part of this is that they are both 24 years old. Those are some bad genes.

VideoTapir posted:

My first month in China I ate a supermarket roubing I shouldn't have, and spent four and a half hours that night puking and making GBS threads the entire contents of my stomach and intestines out. (When I wasn't collapsed on the bathroom floor for at most 5 minutes of rest.) After an hour and a half of dry-heaving, I started throwing up again. Turns out your intestines can run backwards.

Most intense workout I've ever gotten.
I had a similar experience when I got e.coli, but it lasted from like 7pm to 7am or so. When being that dehydrated, water is the most amazing tasting thing I have ever experienced, until I puked it up again. I stayed a few days in the hospital on an IV of antibiotics and electrolytes. All other food poisonings I've had since then have been tame compared to that pain.

Vesi posted:

I got Giardiasis twice in China and it's hilarious (as an adult at least), you get like minute long farts. Tinidazole clears it right away too, just took a few days to figure it out the first time.
But they are the worst farts. The kind that people will think less of you as a human for making, and might never gain that respect for you again.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Does the mosquito net on both of them count as a piece of the suit?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Symetrique posted:

Does the mosquito net on both of them count as a piece of the suit?

ahahaha gently caress

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Eons of culture. People practicing magic that does nothing, yet everybody is convinced that it works. Elevator kicking guy needs to make an appearance. Hate for the fellow human being. Pettiness as a main theme. An inhumane and incompetent bureaucracy that looms in the background, that does nothing for the populace living there and occasionally crushes a bunch of people to remind them who is in power, but it's just like a natural disaster and life moves on.

The protagonists need to be "in" this thing, they're turbo tarded too. It needs to be a dry and matter of fact recount of absurd things happening on a daily basis, but that's just normal, it has always been this way.

The thing ends with the protagonist making it big....in magic and the villian is crushed by a collapsing building, a landslide or run over by a car. Everybody's belief that magic works is reinforced and the thing ends with the hero staring sleeplessly at the ceiling at midnight, while powerdrilling is heard.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/DreyerChina/status/935739756599828481

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They aren't providing vacuums in gyms?

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
Vogons from Hitchhiker's Guide are pretty similar i.e. incompetent bureaucracy. Their smashing of rare jeweled crabs is also like a combination of killing animals for TCM and the "everybody does it because it's tradition" mentality associated with tourist destinations.

Reading this thread often reminds me of The Affront from Ian M. Banks' Culture novels, except the Affronters were actually more charming. They did hosed up poo poo on purpose rather than accidentally or for dumb reasons.

Ditto on elevator kicking guy. It's hard to fathom his thought process. It's like he was in a pride dispute with the elevator, then when he "won" he mechanically followed through on the next part of the "elevator procedure." Like step 1 open door, step 2 go inside. Didn't matter it was an empty shaft; that never occurred to him.

If you're going the sci-fi route, make them a planet of malfunctioning robots. Like a cha bu duo Tony Stark made some A.I. and then abandoned it to its own devices. Its logic circuits are all broken so it substitutes a bunch of old slogans and folk wisdom as heuristics.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Mods, pls namechange: Chabuduo AI

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Escape Addict posted:

Vogons from Hitchhiker's Guide are pretty similar i.e. incompetent bureaucracy. Their smashing of rare jeweled crabs is also like a combination of killing animals for TCM and the "everybody does it because it's tradition" mentality associated with tourist destinations.

Reading this thread often reminds me of The Affront from Ian M. Banks' Culture novels, except the Affronters were actually more charming. They did hosed up poo poo on purpose rather than accidentally or for dumb reasons.

Ditto on elevator kicking guy. It's hard to fathom his thought process. It's like he was in a pride dispute with the elevator, then when he "won" he mechanically followed through on the next part of the "elevator procedure." Like step 1 open door, step 2 go inside. Didn't matter it was an empty shaft; that never occurred to him.

If you're going the sci-fi route, make them a planet of malfunctioning robots. Like a cha bu duo Tony Stark made some A.I. and then abandoned it to its own devices. Its logic circuits are all broken so it substitutes a bunch of old slogans and folk wisdom as heuristics.

this reads like a paragraph from PARANOIA, probably the best role playing game I've ever had the pleasure to read about

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

I think the most interesting way to do it would just be to make it all happen within that culture. You have like a close first-person POV, maybe even present tense, and the whole time you're reading it's really really jarring what people are doing and acting is completely normal

That's the shtick Arthur Meursault plays up in his stories. Amplify things well beyond the point of absurdity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Power Khan posted:

Eons of culture. People practicing magic that does nothing, yet everybody is convinced that it works. Elevator kicking guy needs to make an appearance. Hate for the fellow human being. Pettiness as a main theme. An inhumane and incompetent bureaucracy that looms in the background, that does nothing for the populace living there and occasionally crushes a bunch of people to remind them who is in power, but it's just like a natural disaster and life moves on.

The protagonists need to be "in" this thing, they're turbo tarded too. It needs to be a dry and matter of fact recount of absurd things happening on a daily basis, but that's just normal, it has always been this way.

The thing ends with the protagonist making it big....in magic and the villian is crushed by a collapsing building, a landslide or run over by a car. Everybody's belief that magic works is reinforced and the thing ends with the hero staring sleeplessly at the ceiling at midnight, while powerdrilling is heard.

TBH this sounds like Candide and someone could probably make a reasonable go at a satire (of a satire?) by reskinning it all to China.

• Locked thread