Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Shear Modulus posted:

the musecage sounds like a place i end up at when my anxiety gets really bad

or a really weird ancient greek themed nightclub where people drink laudanum wine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How the hell dies Brogdan have such a massive lead in win shares scoring 10 points a game?

Playing 3x as many minutes helps. Embiid played as many minutes during the season as some guys play in fifteen games.

Rick posted:

I don't care a lot about MVP but I do think your children will be confused as to why you didn't vote for...what this season will be remembered for.

So Metta World Peace gets MVP in 2005.
Len Bias in 1987?

:vince:

R.D. Mangles posted:

looking forward to the long-rumored Playoff Wade who occasionally plays defense instead of doing the thing when thinks he is fouled and then while the other team is on the break he goes over to the sidelines and starts working on an official complaint to the league office with half glasses and a giant old-fashioned typewriter.

I am looking forward to vintage 2006 and 2011 playoff Wade. Finally going to earn that 25 million dollar paycheck.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Spacebump posted:

Dust (aka Cyber Dust) is not an app anyone should download but I download it once every 3 months or so to send Cuban a message. He usually responds. Today I sent him a message thanking him for Romo night and he responded. I'm glad the team I follow has a non-evil owner.

I can't believe he answered on you. Dust's community is dead and he hasn't promoted it in forever, and the Mavs don't use it to promote anything, any more. I thought he had left it behind.

Spacebump posted:

Spare parts, LOL.

What would the league do if next season the Mavs don't pick up Dirk's player option, he comes back at minimum, then the next year he retires, and Cuban gives him something like $20 million a year for a random job with the team?

Nothing. They won't do this (see: giving him a huge contract, anyhow), but he's such a part of franchise that they can't reasonably say that there was an underhanded deal in place.

Boredumb posted:

Little Armenia is in Hollywood, Glendale is just full of Armenians.

That part of his story threw me off, too.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Can we talk about our personal Musecages?

My Muse Cage is the whole foods in Glendale where everyone is the same height and build as me because it's disconcerting when I go shopping in little aremenia and there are dozens of 5'0 grown adult men toddling around

It's funny how the political climate changes pickup games here. Right now, there's a big influx of venezuelan and chinese players, which have brought the height average up, allowing me to finally play on the perimeter again. A similar thing happened years ago with the colombians, cubans and haitians, back when i was playing the best basketball of my life. My shot is slowly coming back, and I'm the most injury free I've been in years, I'm looking forward to it.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

DeimosRising posted:

Go back in time to August and tell someone that not only will the Rockets be the 3 seed and third overall in the NBA, but in late february/early march it will be conceivable they'll finish first overall. They'll shoot you for being some kind of trickster terminator. D'Antoni won 55 with a roster that is basically the 2016 Pelicans with Harden subbed in for Davis, absurd.

The Rockets were never pressuring the one seed. They went on a good streak that got their fans excited and still lost ground to the Spurs.

The Rockets roster is not bad, I don't know why people pretend they are. They're constructed very intentionally with limited players that fit into the team well.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I claim the Bucks will beat the Raptors in the gayoffs

cisneros posted:

It's funny how the political climate changes pickup games here. Right now, there's a big influx of venezuelan and chinese players, which have brought the height average up, allowing me to finally play on the perimeter again. A similar thing happened years ago with the colombians, cubans and haitians, back when i was playing the best basketball of my life. My shot is slowly coming back, and I'm the most injury free I've been in years, I'm looking forward to it.

Are you secretly admitting that you play for the Reno Bighorns

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
Just put $50 on the Thunder to beat the Rockets. Come on Russ - win me some beer money

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DeimosRising posted:

I think I agree except Harden for MVP. I think there's another guy in the league who can step into everyone else's shoes and be about as good or better (Lebron for Westbrook, Paul George for Kawhi, etc) but Harden is very specifically the only guy who can do what he did for that team this year. Maaaaaybe Steph Curry, but the last time his supporting cast was that weak he was just a borderline all star (and also was in his 3rd year in the league, so who knows).

You know, really any of those 3 and I am perfectly fine with it. I had a really, really hard time coming up with who should be MVP and went with "If I can't decide who is probably the most underrated".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's not most valuable rookie

It's rookie of the year . He was rookie of the month 50% of the time

:colbert:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

It's rookie of the year

Yeah, which is exactly why he shouldn't win it

He only played in 31 games for christ's sake.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I think Euphronius knows why the musecaged bird sings

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Don't worry Euphronius. It'll be October in no time and you'll get to see Embiid for another glorious 20 games before his lower body sees it's shadow.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Your momma is so fat that her musecage used to be the Tiger enclosure at the Bronx Zoo

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
My musecage has several hybrid players I'd like to go after in the off-season

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, which is exactly why he shouldn't win it

He only played in 31 games for christ's sake.

And was still so good he was miles ahead of everyone else, including Saric and Mikhail Brogdon.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
You know your musecage is too dark when the basketball just pops the instant it touches your hand

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lockback posted:

Don't worry Euphronius. It'll be October in no time and you'll get to see Embiid for another glorious 20 games before his lower body sees it's shadow.

Hurtful

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I rooted for Derrick Rose. I have no feelings left.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
MVP: Russ (sick dunk value >>> Harden's metrics)
DPOY: Draymond
MIP: Giannis
COY: Spoelstra (got significant contributions from auto-generated players like Rodney McGruder and Okaro White)
ROY: Uhhh Brogdon I guess. This is only slightly better than 2014 for rookies.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Miguel "I'm not good enough to win a single Rookie of the Month award" Brogdon.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Miguel "I'm not good enough to win a single Rookie of the Month award" Brogdon.

Thanks Skip

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Boosh! posted:

Thanks Skip

Micky "I started fewer games than Joel Embiid" Brogdon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Micky "I started fewer games than Joel Embiid" Brogdon.

It's a bad year

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's a bad year

Mike "My team was in a heated playoff race and I sat out 5 games at the end of the season while a real man, Dario Saric, played through plantar fasciitis even though his team was already eliminated" Brogdon.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

I claim the Bucks will beat the Raptors in the gayoffs

Are you secretly admitting that you play for the Reno Bighorns

I'm a Raptors fan and have been worried about this since it was announced as being their matchup, The Raps don't have any guards who can do a drat thing about Giannis and their record is deceptive, imo. If they're lucky, Ibaka will be able to make things harder for Giannis when he tries to drive to the hoop. Plus aren't the Bucks largely healthy now? Isn't injuries why they lost 40 games in the first place? Sheeeeiiit.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Brogdon owns and laffo at the Bucks fans creating the winning team narrative. There are no Bucks fans. I am like the only primary poster here and Giannis is the only reason people in the area are starting to show interest again.

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Plus aren't the Bucks largely healthy now?

Jabari Parker

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
charity is the future of public relations and branding so by donating to charity instead of having a rookie of the year campaign brogdon has shown himself to be a real monster and i hope he fails and justice prevails

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

crazycello posted:

Jabari Parker

I didn't say completely. I was referring to dudes like Middleton and Henson who both missed significant time, Middleton especially.

And yes I know Henson ain't that good but with Parker out they need someone to play those minutes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I didn't say completely. I was referring to dudes like Middleton and Henson who both missed significant time, Middleton especially.

And yes I know Henson ain't that good but with Parker out they need someone to play those minutes.

Thon Maker/Monroe/Giannis is basically their center rotation.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I HATE Draymond, but holy poo poo he's great. Gobert deserves DPOY over him but just barely. I love do it all, dont shine guys.
Something yall havent really talked about, front office of the year. Immediately, Masai comes to mind with two great grabs. Havent thought a lot about it though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ButtWolf posted:

Something yall havent really talked about, front office of the year. Immediately, Masai comes to mind with two great grabs. Havent thought a lot about it though.

The front office that got Kevin Durant, and West/Zaza for the minimum.

But in reality, no because if pat riley couldn't win exec of the year getting Bosh and Lebron, the award lost meaning long ago.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Morey for bringing in D'Antoni and getting Lou Williams for Corey Brewer and the 25th pick?

Actually should be New Orleans for completely taking advantage of Vivek.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Why would Pat Riley get exec of the year for LeBron and Chris Bosh agreeing to join Dwade

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Why would Pat Riley get exec of the year for LeBron and Chris Bosh agreeing to join Dwade

Because he cleared the contract space and put a plan in motion that made Miami the best landing place for those guys. Plus, he did cap magic to bring in a couple supporting guys to help flesh out the roster.

Riley absolutely was responsible for that Heat team.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I think you'll find GM LeBron did those things, but exec of the year is just another award the voters refuse to give to him.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Simmons put up his 18000 word MVP column:

https://theringer.com/bill-simmons-2017-nba-mvp-james-harden-russell-westbrook-kawhi-leonard-4f617e8d5df5

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Brog Don is cool and good and a nice guy and I'm ok with him winning RoY

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

Because he cleared the contract space and put a plan in motion that made Miami the best landing place for those guys. Plus, he did cap magic to bring in a couple supporting guys to help flesh out the roster.

Riley absolutely was responsible for that Heat team.
Riley did the sign and trades and cap machinations, Wade and Bosh took pay cuts so that Lebron would join in and claims to have orchestrated the plan years in advance. Riley only did half of the work, superstars deciding to come play at the party beach city was important. But GM voting is always weird.

Zogo posted:

I am looking forward to vintage 2006 and 2011 playoff Wade. Finally going to earn that 25 million dollar paycheck.
2006 Wade was a crime against basketball deserving of the Iranian death penalty style execution by hanging from construction crane. Criminal. Unlawful.

NeuroticErotica posted:

That part of his story threw me off, too.
There are more Armenians in Glendale than little Armenia so it gets the designation. That's ust my opinion as a Los Feliz for life paying 100% of salary in rent lifestyle ride or die stuck in the middle of lil armenia and glendale.

Tae posted:

Thon Maker/Monroe/Giannis is basically their center rotation.

Monroe proving to the world that he's a good player just in time to be a free agent, is nice and will be key to them upsetting the Raptors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I agree with his rationale for picking Harden over Russ, surprisingly

• Locked thread