Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

We just found another kitten in our garage. A teeny tiny little black thing that I forgot to take a pic of because I’m a stupid idiot but its cute as hell and its eyes are open and it’s a little mover and :3::kimchi::3:

Only problem is usually when you see one newborn kitten, there’s more with it, and this one was alone. We haven’t seen signs of the rest of the litter yet, and we’re not sure which of the adult strays in our yard is the mother, although there was a small audience of cats watching us and the kitten when we found it.

I’m wondering if the mother might have abandoned this little guy. I’m not sure yet but the fact that there aren’t other kittens nearby causes me to worry a bit. It seems healthy from what I could tell. Hopefully it just wandered away from the rest of its litter.

What do I do if it’s been abandoned?

(P.S. I will try to remember to take a photo of it later today if I can still find it/the mother doesn’t hide it)

I saw a dog rescue video where they checked for puppies by playing an audio clip of puppy-whining. It made the momma dog immediately run to her litter. Maybe that works for cats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

(P.S. I will try to remember to take a photo of it later today if I can still find it/the mother doesn’t hide it)

Photo

Pixelante posted:

I saw a dog rescue video where they checked for puppies by playing an audio clip of puppy-whining. It made the momma dog immediately run to her litter. Maybe that works for cats?

This kitten has been mewing up a storm. The way it wanders around the garage it almost looks like it’s looking for its mom, although the temperature outside is in the 50’s right now so it may just be looking for a place to warm up.

I don’t think its mom is having any trouble hearing it, though, wherever she is.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm going to call a place that does at-home euthanasia when I get off work today and try to schedule a time in a week so my sister and I can both say goodbye. I can't stand the thought of their last moments involving being loaded into a crate that they hate and crying on the way to the vet. But I wonder if I'm doing the cats a disservice by waiting, and if they can wait, do they need to be put down? And all this time my dad's health is affected. I had a job interview a couple weeks ago that it looks like I didn't get, and I can't help but think that if I had gotten it, I'd move out and spend time doing more tests and praying they don't soil the new place. I might have done more about my search for "real" job if I wasn't fretting about the cats. I'm such a loser it's caused physical harm to my dad and animals that I love.

Everything feels so wrong.

I don't mean to trivialize your father's health concerns but a human has a lot more agency for mitigating health issues on their own while a cat can only cat. Someone needs to be their advocate and you shouldn't feel bad about fulfilling that role. Regarding the euthanasia I recently had to put down two cats and the worst part is trying to figure out if it's time. However as a vet pointed out it's better to do it too early than too late in the interest of minimizing suffering.

What do I do if it’s been abandoned?

Assuming the mom never shows up and you can't keep it weren't there two or three no-kill shelters in your area? Can they take it?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Fabulousity posted:

Assuming the mom never shows up and you can't keep it weren't there two or three no-kill shelters in your area? Can they take it?

That might be an option. I need to check and see if they can take one that young. However we also want to avoid separating it from its mom and siblings if it hasn’t been abandoned. Are there any signs to look for to tell if a kitten has been abandoned by its mom?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The signs are pointing towards that. It's a single cat out on its own so it does seem like it got seperated from its siblings and no sign of the mom.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

That might be an option. I need to check and see if they can take one that young. However we also want to avoid separating it from its mom and siblings if it hasn’t been abandoned. Are there any signs to look for to tell if a kitten has been abandoned by its mom?

Some Googling didn't provide a definitive answer but there seems to be a consensus that the mother may leave her kittens unattended for hours to hunt for food. The general advice is to allow up to 12 hours for the mother to return if there are no immediate dangers to the kitten(s) present. It sounds like this isn't possible with the kitten in the garage, the mother stuck outside it if she's still around, and no sign of a nest where the rest of the litter may be. You could dust with flour around the garage entrances so you can tell if any adult cats came by to check things out, but it doesn't tell you if it's mom or not. The pages also said if the kitten isn't eating solid food yet a lot of shelters won't take it simply because they don't have resources to manage manual bottle feeding.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Fabulousity posted:

Some Googling didn't provide a definitive answer but there seems to be a consensus that the mother may leave her kittens unattended for hours to hunt for food. The general advice is to allow up to 12 hours for the mother to return if there are no immediate dangers to the kitten(s) present. It sounds like this isn't possible with the kitten in the garage, the mother stuck outside it if she's still around, and no sign of a nest where the rest of the litter may be. You could dust with flour around the garage entrances so you can tell if any adult cats came by to check things out, but it doesn't tell you if it's mom or not.

The mother isn’t stuck outside. Our garage is always open for these cats to come and go as they please; we actually feed them all in there. It’s a relatively safe place for them.

I can’t say for certain whether all of the cats came to get food in there when we fed them tonight (I’m not even 100% sure how many of them there are), but I saw a bunch of them in there and the kitten was walking among them, so if the mother was there she definitely saw it.

One other thing I forgot to mention earlier. Today is the first day since the start of Fall that the temperature has been in the 50’s at my house, and it’s been raining all day. Normally when it’s cold and/or raining outside the cats like to hole up in the garage, which is part of the reason why we keep it open for them.

Fabulousity posted:

The pages also said if the kitten isn't eating solid food yet a lot of shelters won't take it simply because they don't have resources to manage manual bottle feeding.

Well that sucks. Hopefully one of the shelters in my area can take it if it comes to that, but I’ll call around and find out for sure tomorrow.

What am I gonna need to do if I end up having to bottle feed it myself?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
So my vet said my cat is on the hefty chonk side and needs to cut it with the dry food. For the past five years I've had him I've left out dry food for him and didn't think it was a big deal since he doesn't eat a lot at a time. I switched him to Wellness Core grain-free high-protein food and he loves it, but it's been around two weeks and he hates the schedule. At night he's fine, we feed him at 7 to 7:30 and he doesn't beg even though he hasn't eaten since 8 AM. But at 6:30 AM he starts meowing, scratching at doors, and if he sees one of us he'll go nuts with the various stages of cat begging (pawing at us, trying the cute act, etc.) until he gets fed. It's very disruptive in the morning.

We thought it was because we were giving him wet food at night and he wasn't eating enough, but even with the dry food it's no different. The vet told us to give him 1/3rd of a cup of dry food and take it away after a half hour, but is there a huge danger if we give him maybe a little more and let it sit there overnight? He'll probably finish it around 3 AM is my guess based on his appetite with the older food, and maybe he won't be such a typical cat in the morning when we're trying to sleep and/or get ready for work? I can't believe how well he adjusted to new food and the night schedule, but not the morning routine. What can we do?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
You can follow your vets recommendation. The cat was content when he could gorge and overeat and there'll be some pain and noise to go with the adjustment.

Automatic feeders help to dissociate you from the feeding. Evenly spaced feedings regimens help and the auto feeders can help with the late night feeding. Don't respond to the begging with food if you can help it. You can, of course, keep overfeeding him, but he'll get used to the new schedule in a few weeks and live longer for it.

In my experience, your vet is being lenient with the 1/3 cup of dry. Mine encourages 1/8th or less. I'm at the point whew I only sprinkle it on one cat's wet to get her enthusiastic and the other gets that 1/8th in one of his three 8h feedings.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 16, 2018

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ILL Machina posted:

You can follow your vets recommendation. The cat was content when he could gorge and overeat and there'll be some pain and noise to go with the adjustment.

Automatic feeders help to dissociate you from the feeding. Evenly spaced feedings regiment help and the auto feeders can help with the late night feeding. Don't respond to the begging with food if you can help it. You can, of course, keep overfeeding him, but he'll get used to the new schedule in a few weeks and love longer for it.

An automatic feeder! Great idea. I forgot those existed.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

Everything feels so wrong.

The whole world is wrong, you'll be fine, keep pushing and don't give up.

That being said, euthanasia isn't giving up, if anything, it's making it so you can better direct your own life and what limited funds you have on needy, new, more healthy kittens. As personal as your connection is with those cats, think of the next one and how much more love you could give if your furry ones weren't stressing you out and bankrupting you. If they were younglings it'd be different, but they've lived long cat lives. At some point you have to fold their experience into a larger perspective that includes you not killing yourself financially or non metaphorically. I get emotional about these things, but it sounds like you need a friendly voice to tell you to move on to care so deeply about the next cats and to absolve you of some feelings of neglect and guilt. Even if your family didn't have health reasons to make hard choices, it sounds like those fair creatures are on their last legs.

It's time, friend. You've done your best. Take care of yourself and look to the future.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 16, 2018

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

The mother isn’t stuck outside. Our garage is always open for these cats to come and go as they please; we actually feed them all in there. It’s a relatively safe place for them.

I can’t say for certain whether all of the cats came to get food in there when we fed them tonight (I’m not even 100% sure how many of them there are), but I saw a bunch of them in there and the kitten was walking among them, so if the mother was there she definitely saw it.

One other thing I forgot to mention earlier. Today is the first day since the start of Fall that the temperature has been in the 50’s at my house, and it’s been raining all day. Normally when it’s cold and/or raining outside the cats like to hole up in the garage, which is part of the reason why we keep it open for them.

Well that sucks. Hopefully one of the shelters in my area can take it if it comes to that, but I’ll call around and find out for sure tomorrow.

What am I gonna need to do if I end up having to bottle feed it myself?

http://www.kittenlady.org/bottlefeeding/

The Kitten Lady is a really good resource. One big, important issue here: a young kitten can't regulate its own body temperature well. It's important to keep her warm (but not too warm)! If she's out wandering a garage that's only 50 F, and there's no mom keeping her warm, that's dangerous for her.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

How can I teach my dumbasses that the cardboard scratcher I bought them is for scratching and not just for sitting on? Biting would also be fine, one of them already loves biting cardboard usually. It came with catnip which I did sprinkle on it and I think that's part of why one of them likes sitting on it so much, but even all her rolling around on it while high didn't teach her that it was fun to scratch.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Organza Quiz posted:

How can I teach my dumbasses that the cardboard scratcher I bought them is for scratching and not just for sitting on? Biting would also be fine, one of them already loves biting cardboard usually. It came with catnip which I did sprinkle on it and I think that's part of why one of them likes sitting on it so much, but even all her rolling around on it while high didn't teach her that it was fun to scratch.

I've had some luck picking up their front paws and making them scratch it like a puppet.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

This is Nora, the sweetie from awhile back. Figured I should get a pic in here for you guys:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Here is my cat Artichoke having a little sleepy

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Okay it turns out the answer to how to get cat to scratch cardboard scratcher for Peridot at least was ignore her when she wants attention until she tries to get attention by being an arsehole and clawing nearby noisy things that she thinks she's not meant to claw.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Organza Quiz posted:

Okay it turns out the answer to how to get cat to scratch cardboard scratcher for Peridot at least was ignore her when she wants attention until she tries to get attention by being an arsehole and clawing nearby noisy things that she thinks she's not meant to claw.

Lol, we have hotel-style air conditioners in our apartment that are close to the floor and my one cat will always stretch on these things while clawing at the plastic vents on it. It makes so much noise but I always say it's like she's playing the washboard :3:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Good cats.

Mine are mostly relaxing. One of them likes to jump onto my shoulder. And he is using his claws to do that which is kinda painful. Not sure how to stop this.

Got them a few more toys.

Found the sock thief!

Back to sleep.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017
Kitty pictures!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

She's got resting bitch face but this is Bean

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Play?

PLAY?!

Lounge

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Any advice for getting my cat to stop freaking the hell out every time I try to put her in her harness? I'm getting sick of having to close every possible escape avenue and backing her into a corner to force it on through scratching and hissing.

Some background, I've had her for about two years now. She was a stray when the shelter picked her up, but she was sweet with the handlers so instead of releasing her after being fixed they kept her for adoption (hence the clipped ear). She's warmed up to me a lot and loves pets and treats and play, but she absolutely refuses to be handled beyond simple petting. She throws a fit if I pick her up. Throws a fit if I even touch her belly in any fashion. I've entirely given up on brushing her teeth, because all the treats and petting and patience in the world has done nothing to stop her from hissing and biting the poo poo out of me if I try to manipulate her mouth to brush.

Thing is I live in a fairly small place and I can tell she's starting to get pretty bored, so I want to get her on a harness so I can take her outside into the yard for small bursts so she has some outdoor time. Every time I try to get her into the harness though it's loving agony. She's not afraid of the harness itself: I've conditioned her to like it via treats and she'll walk up to it and sniff it and even rub against it. The second I try to put it on her though, she slinks away to the nearest hiding spot, which again plays back into the "refuses to be handled in any fashion" problem I guess.

Cat tax for my rant:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

She might just be a no walkies cat. Get more trees and climbable things. Hide half of her toys for a while and cycle them out so she'll think they're new again, move them around a lot, etc. Play with her more. Put bird feeders in windows she can see out of.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 19, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Well at a minimum I still need to stick her in the harness once a year when I take her to my parents' place for Christmas, since TSA insists on making me take her out of the carrier so they X-Ray it. :sigh:

The cycling toys thing sort of works and sort of doesn't, but she's mesmerized by string so as long as I swap out the color/texture of said string occasionally she chases it a lot. It seems like a lot of toys are predicated on being catnip infused, but as far as I can tell she's not affected by the stuff at all. She seems to like silvervine but it's still not that strong a reaction. Also she has a bird feeder outside my bedroom window. She likes to sit in the windowsill and chirp at them. :3:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Fabulousity posted:

I don't mean to trivialize your father's health concerns but a human has a lot more agency for mitigating health issues on their own while a cat can only cat. Someone needs to be their advocate and you shouldn't feel bad about fulfilling that role. Regarding the euthanasia I recently had to put down two cats and the worst part is trying to figure out if it's time. However as a vet pointed out it's better to do it too early than too late in the interest of minimizing suffering.

I guess I undersold my Dad's health issue. He's developed asthma at home, and the medication can cause hypertension.

I made the call on Tuesday, and I scheduled an at-home euthanasia for both of them on Monday at 5. I got the day off, so after I get off work it's 72 hours to spoil them. Nothing feels right. I was reading this on Monday when Bobo jumped into my lap and I lost it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My cuties sleeping all cute-like. :3:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I recently made some alien antennae for a game of Watch the Skies. Of course, the cats considered them excellent toys. Ethics wasn't much help.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
The SO and I are watching a friend's dog this weekend while they are out of town.

So far: dog walked, pulled himself completely out of his collar, ran over to three dogs and the other dogs attacked him. Managed to pull him away and get him to a pet hospital.

He's in surgery now and the SO and I are attempting to eat. Lots of fun looks from other patrons due to being covered in dirt and blood.

.....and this is why we have cats.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Sydin posted:

Well at a minimum I still need to stick her in the harness once a year when I take her to my parents' place for Christmas, since TSA insists on making me take her out of the carrier so they X-Ray it. :sigh:

The cycling toys thing sort of works and sort of doesn't, but she's mesmerized by string so as long as I swap out the color/texture of said string occasionally she chases it a lot. It seems like a lot of toys are predicated on being catnip infused, but as far as I can tell she's not affected by the stuff at all. She seems to like silvervine but it's still not that strong a reaction. Also she has a bird feeder outside my bedroom window. She likes to sit in the windowsill and chirp at them. :3:

Is it the strappy kind of harness or a coat kind of harness? If it's the former, try one of the latter, it's much more pleasant for them to wear.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

I guess I undersold my Dad's health issue. He's developed asthma at home, and the medication can cause hypertension.

I made the call on Tuesday, and I scheduled an at-home euthanasia for both of them on Monday at 5. I got the day off, so after I get off work it's 72 hours to spoil them. Nothing feels right. I was reading this on Monday when Bobo jumped into my lap and I lost it.

You are doing the best thing you can. You have provided those cats with warm and loving environs in their twilight years. Most of us miserable human poo poo-fucks should be so lucky to be so cared for at the end.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

Nothing feels right.

I think you've made the right call here. It's a terrible decision to have to make, but like you said love and spoil them all weekend

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone else got any drooly cats? When you pet Bean she gets super excited and her face leaks. It's adorable and derpy.

I assume it's just a cat thing but it's weird Domino doesn't

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Len posted:

Anyone else got any drooly cats? When you pet Bean she gets super excited and her face leaks. It's adorable and derpy.

I assume it's just a cat thing but it's weird Domino doesn't

My cat is like a broken faucet once you start the petting. I have to keep a towel handy. Some cats just don't have the brain capacity to close their mouths and purr at the same time.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
have definitely had drooly kitties; seems to be more common if they're missing some teef (or need to have some teeth extracted).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Organza Quiz posted:

Is it the strappy kind of harness or a coat kind of harness? If it's the former, try one of the latter, it's much more pleasant for them to wear.

Not sure what you mean by a coat kind. This is the one I got her.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

If you can, bury your grief until you have to say goodbye -- they're not gone yet. Of course you're aware of the situation, but there'll be lots of time to miss them. Try to enjoy your last days without tears obstructing your vision. Take pictures if you can stand it.

It's impossible, I'm sure. I break it into tears occasionally just thinking that I love mine too much and she's middle aged and not going anywhere for a while, but I still know it'll end at some point.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Tendales posted:

My cat is like a broken faucet once you start the petting. I have to keep a towel handy. Some cats just don't have the brain capacity to close their mouths and purr at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4c5UvCw_E0

Yup

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

My boy cat drools like crazy. Not the first cat I've encountered that did it. Rex's spit smells HORRIBLE too, like a person after a workout. Usually that's a sign of tooth decay or something, but he's apparently fine. Imagine being able to tolerate the wetness but unable to tolerate the stench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I have two cats that are littermates. The male cat has a habit of chewing the female's whiskers when they are grooming. She doesn't seem to mind (and has no problem asserting agency or bodily autonomy) so I assume it's OK but I've never seen this before.

edit: pic because I love these guys

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 21, 2018