Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

FetusSlapper posted:

Will chunks of meat( cut up pork picnic roast with the skin/fat cap removed) cook safely on top of potatoes and onions in a slow cooker? I filled it 2/3rds onions/potatoes/garlic and then the last 1/3 is filled with big chunks of pork. I cut up and froze the skin/fat cap to use for beans and split peas through the month.

Yeah, it will be fine. But your potatoes will be mush by the end. If I'm using the slow cooker and potatoes are part of the meal, I usually just cook them separately before serving. Otherwise, an hour to an hour and a half before serving, put the potato chunks in the cooker and crank it to high. But more than two hours and you're going to get potato soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I am going on a bike tour that's why I was looking for stuff that can last, I don't really want to go MRE if I can.

I have made these for hikes:

1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
1 cup dry milk
1 cup uncooked rolled oats
wheat germ

Combine peanut butter and honey
Gradually stir in dry milk and oatmeal
Shape into balls and roll in wheat germ. Let dry several hours before storing.

For your main meal some crusty bread and some preserved meat like a cured sausage. A lot of hard cheeses will be fine too.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah, it will be fine. But your potatoes will be mush by the end. If I'm using the slow cooker and potatoes are part of the meal, I usually just cook them separately before serving. Otherwise, an hour to an hour and a half before serving, put the potato chunks in the cooker and crank it to high. But more than two hours and you're going to get potato soup.

I've used red potatoes for slow cooker beef stew with a six hour cooking time and had them come out perfectly solid. I left the skin on and cut them into fairly large chunks so that probably helped, this was on high heat for the whole six hours.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

FetusSlapper posted:

Will chunks of meat( cut up pork picnic roast with the skin/fat cap removed) cook safely on top of potatoes and onions in a slow cooker? I filled it 2/3rds onions/potatoes/garlic and then the last 1/3 is filled with big chunks of pork. I cut up and froze the skin/fat cap to use for beans and split peas through the month.

How much liquid is in there? Basically you want to get the centre of the meat up to about 120+ F within 4 hours, otherwise you're entering the DANGER ZONE

(the potatoes will be mush though)

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

How much liquid is in there? Basically you want to get the centre of the meat up to about 120+ F within 4 hours, otherwise you're entering the DANGER ZONE

No liquid, just whatever renders out of the meat really. I'm using yukon golds cut in half and I'm going to mash them up with jalapenos when its all done.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

FetusSlapper posted:

No liquid, just whatever renders out of the meat really. I'm using yukon golds cut in half and I'm going to mash them up with jalapenos when its all done.

That sounds a little sketchy. I'd cook the meat separately, but then, I also don't know what I'm doing, so I tend to stay on the cautious side.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

It'll work but it'll be a gray mess and probably not look that appetizing. I'd do it then chill the pork, slice it the next day, and sear it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Can you clarify this? I don't really do much slow cooking at all, but I thought the whole point of it was that you can dump a bunch of food and turn it on then come back to a delicious meal later. There isn't much complexity or room for error since it's literally "put food in, push button" which led to believe that the device itself is designed in a way to safely prepare food. Are there issues with mixing food types or overfilling it that prevent the slow cooker from working properly for meat?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Teeter posted:

Can you clarify this? I don't really do much slow cooking at all, but I thought the whole point of it was that you can dump a bunch of food and turn it on then come back to a delicious meal later. There isn't much complexity or room for error since it's literally "put food in, push button" which led to believe that the device itself is designed in a way to safely prepare food. Are there issues with mixing food types or overfilling it that prevent the slow cooker from working properly for meat?

Keeping any meat between 40 and 140 F for 4 hours or greater is entering the "Danger Zone" - that's where pathogenic bacteria will multiply and poop out toxins. Depending on how long it takes to heat up whatever's inside, and depending on the starting temperatures involved, it might be unsafe.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
What SymmetryrtemmyS said, plus slow cookers are supposed to be used with some sort of liquid to carry the heat from the crock into the food, without a liquid heat will pass much more slowly into the food which could cause your food to go bad before it cooks.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What SymmetryrtemmyS said, plus slow cookers are supposed to be used with some sort of liquid to carry the heat from the crock into the food, without a liquid heat will pass much more slowly into the food which could cause your food to go bad before it cooks.

Gotcha, this is more what I was after. I'm well aware of the danger zone and leaving food out, I was just led to believe that it wasn't an issue with slow cooking because the crockpot itself would inherently avoid that by keeping food above that temperature. Makes sense that it needs liquid to help with conduction.

The few times I've used my crockpot have just been following recipes so it never dawned on me that there was a way to screw it up but I guess that's just because there's always been a liquid of some sort involved.

Thanks for clarification.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

I am going on a bike tour that's why I was looking for stuff that can last, I don't really want to go MRE if I can.

Put thin slices of raw beef under your seat and they will be warmed and tenderized while you ride.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Very Strange Things posted:

Put thin slices of raw beef under your seat and they will be warmed and tenderized while you ride.

I keep a ham cube under my dick and a cherry tomato in my armpit during my commute. By the time I get to work, all I need is two toothpicks and voilà. In the cyclist's case, he should keep the beef on top of the seat, not underneath. It's a common mistake.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

tonberrytoby posted:

Traditional dry sausage or cured bacon. Hard cheeses. Dry bread.

Add "eating an entire Vidalia onion" and you've described my friend's camping breakfasts!

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I'm eating a pork steak right now. Is there anything I can do with the bone? I usually just throw it out.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Juice Box Hero posted:

I keep a ham cube under my dick and a cherry tomato in my armpit during my commute. By the time I get to work, all I need is two toothpicks and voilà. In the cyclist's case, he should keep the beef on top of the seat, not underneath. It's a common mistake.

I keep ham cubes inside my chamois, and let them warm up with the heat emanating from my junk. The cherry tomatoes I like chilled, so I attach them to a specially attached photo film canister that sits inside my spokes, so that the wind when it hits it keeps it cool.

Also I run over my steaks with my tires to make sure it really is tenderized.

On a serious note, what would be a good hard cheese?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I keep ham cubes inside my chamois, and let them warm up with the heat emanating from my junk. The cherry tomatoes I like chilled, so I attach them to a specially attached photo film canister that sits inside my spokes, so that the wind when it hits it keeps it cool.

Also I run over my steaks with my tires to make sure it really is tenderized.

On a serious note, what would be a good hard cheese?

I really like Blue cheese. It has a fun smell.

In my experience it doesn't melt easily. It's a little crumbly, though.

Autographed Book
Aug 26, 2009

If you've got a big thirst and you're gay, reach for a cold, tall bottle of Schmitts Gay.
I saw a lamb shoulder blade chop for 3 bucks; it's about 1/2 thick, but looks good. What do I do with it? Cook it like a steak?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I made some canelés yesterday. They were delicious and easy to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce8-9kCrkUw

This recipe works really well:
http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/caneles--2

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Autographed Book posted:

I saw a lamb shoulder blade chop for 3 bucks; it's about 1/2 thick, but looks good. What do I do with it? Cook it like a steak?

Very very rare. A little bit of garlic, salt, pepper, and a lot of rosemary.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oy vey, the woman hosed up big time.
She was using the oven as a proofing box*, when she forgot about her dough and turned the oven up to 350 for something else and then went to take a dump. And she was raising her dough in a large Tupperware container.
Thankfully, I was home, and I smelled it before it got too bad.

How does one removed a smear of molten plastic from the bottom of your oven?

I wiped it up and got most of it, but there is still some residue. My only thought was to crank the oven up and burn through it, but I'd rather not make any MORE toxic smoke then we already have.

*its still cold up north, and leaving something in the oven with the light on keeps the temp around 80 degrees or so.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Oy vey, the woman hosed up big time.
She was using the oven as a proofing box*, when she forgot about her dough and turned the oven up to 350 for something else and then went to take a dump. And she was raising her dough in a large Tupperware container.
Thankfully, I was home, and I smelled it before it got too bad.

How does one removed a smear of molten plastic from the bottom of your oven?

I wiped it up and got most of it, but there is still some residue. My only thought was to crank the oven up and burn through it, but I'd rather not make any MORE toxic smoke then we already have.

*its still cold up north, and leaving something in the oven with the light on keeps the temp around 80 degrees or so.

Get a dolly and drag the oven outside and do it.

Good luck getting the smell out of the oven. I put a plug-in teapot on a smoothtop range once. Oooops. I got all the melted rubber off though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Good luck getting the smell out of the oven.

Yeah, I was afraid of that... and she still wants to try and salvage the dough!

Proof of how uneven the heat is in my oven.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'd, uh, throw that dough out.

You may be able to use some good oven cleaner to get the plastic residue off. Plastic is oil based, so there's a chance that the cleaner could remove it like it would other baked on grease.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My grandma did the same thing a couple times, once on Thanksgiving, which was exciting. I would wait for it to cool and break out a paint scraper.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Got any pics of the melted plastic? how low will your oven go? you might be able to heat it enough to turn it from solid and scrape it up.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The remaining smear was thinner then a piece of paper, so I hit it with a little acetone and it came right off. After airing out the oven for an hour, we cranked it up to 500 for a while just to be sure. Seems fine now.

I can't tell if the house still smells, because I caught a snoot full of black smoke when I opened the oven, and my sinuses are a mess right now.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'd, uh, throw that dough out.

Yeah, I made her pitch it. It's really hard for her to throw food away, she has a hardcore depression-style hoarding thing going on.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, I made her pitch it. It's really hard for her to throw food away, she has a hardcore depression-style hoarding thing going on.

Do you garden at all, or have a yard? Try composting! It turns kitchen scraps into BLACK GARDEN GOLD. I feel so much better disposing of kitchen scraps and too old leftovers in that thing. With that and recycling, I only fill a garbage can maybe once a month.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Need ideas for jello shots using whiskey/bourbon.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Bee's knees/Gold Rush? (black tea/lemon/honey/bourbon)

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Boulevardier? (2 part Bourbon or Rye, 1 Part Vermouth Russo, 1 Part Campari)

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

Cavenagh posted:

Boulevardier? (2 part Bourbon or Rye, 1 Part Vermouth Russo, 1 Part Campari)

This, I substitute aperol at times for a sweeter and less bitter twist.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Oh, loving perfect I have negroni stuff so yeah, negronis and boulevardiers. So loving classy.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
There is a food/recipe blogger's website I want to find. It's driving me crazy.

She is from somewhere green on the Eastern seaboard e.g. Vermont, Massachusetts
Is Korean
Has a white website with a photo at the top and recipes on a side bar
Has a recipe for some kind of Korean/soy sauce beef (recipe includes sugar)
Most of the stuff is like 'healthy superbowl snacks'
Title may or may not have 'mom' in it

Any ideas? She has her own mailing list and does the recipe blogging stuff as a career but google is totally failing me today.

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Anyone have a good recipe for Nam Sod?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I've got three pounds of flank steak. What should I marinade it in before I grill it tomorrow?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

The Glumslinger posted:

I've got three pounds of flank steak. What should I marinade it in before I grill it tomorrow?

We do this one all the time, it's good: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/05/steakhouse-style-grilled-marinated-flank-stea.html

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
In the past, I've resorted to the first one that pops on Google Search. It's pretty similar to the Serious Eats one, by the looks of it.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

I've also done a "general asian" kind of marinade with all sorts of meats and it works great -- just minced up ginger, garlic, scallion, soy, and some heat (sriracha or some dried chilles, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/jangjorim