Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Past few days I've been lured back into playing with this ant farm. I found an Immersion+ collection, fuckin like 150 mods with an XML modlist load order. There are like 4 mods you gotta manually load because the forgot to un-local those before zipping them up. After world gen and colony start any humans with beards show as a pink square. If you immidiately save and reload it fixes the graphical error.

I hooked this straight into my veins! Gimmie them mods.

I instinctively tried to build an outhouse and identify water sources. After I layed out my plan I realized Hygine wasnt part of it. 10/10 my life is better without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

KirbyKhan posted:

I realized Hygine wasnt part of it. 10/10 my life is better without it.

truly a goon

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Thinkin' about starting a whole second colony right now. Super late game, it's good as hell.

Rim of Madness? Good as hell. Some Visitors from the Agency went from 100 Allied to -75 Hostile because I installed a statue from a cult that I got as a quest reward and they found it. Big ol' shootout in the colony living room, fantastic.

Just went on a Realistic Ruins quest to a super wealthy ruin. It was ... empty, so I started loading poo poo into zones. Then Blue Moon Corp showed up. Then Lost Soldiers showed up. I had a guy take the SRTS ship back to get reinforcements, an animal pulser, and some insanity lances. Got back just in time, Blue Moon's doomsday launcher fired at a muffalo and took out most of them.

Ended up losing a single colonist, captured about 10 Lost Soldiers.

They got caught at the right time, I'm in the middle of a cultural revolution where I'm recruiting prisoners and emancipating slaves - I'm way too post-scarcity to be maintaining such an outdated caste system.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Thinkin' about starting a whole second colony right now. Super late game, it's good as hell.

Rim of Madness? Good as hell. Some Visitors from the Agency went from 100 Allied to -75 Hostile because I installed a statue from a cult that I got as a quest reward and they found it. Big ol' shootout in the colony living room, fantastic.

Just went on a Realistic Ruins quest to a super wealthy ruin. It was ... empty, so I started loading poo poo into zones. Then Blue Moon Corp showed up. Then Lost Soldiers showed up. I had a guy take the SRTS ship back to get reinforcements, an animal pulser, and some insanity lances. Got back just in time, Blue Moon's doomsday launcher fired at a muffalo and took out most of them.

Ended up losing a single colonist, captured about 10 Lost Soldiers.

They got caught at the right time, I'm in the middle of a cultural revolution where I'm recruiting prisoners and emancipating slaves - I'm way too post-scarcity to be maintaining such an outdated caste system.

And may Lavish Meals be upon you friend.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

One time an ex-lover of a colonist attacked and they became close while he was in prison (high resistance). They became even closer when I gave her his organs, but they ultimately parted ways when he ran out of organs.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
How hard would it be for a noob to fix some bugs in abandoned rimworld mods?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Average Bear posted:

How hard would it be for a noob to fix some bugs in abandoned rimworld mods?

Depends on the kind of mod, your knowledge of C#/XML syntax, and your patience to learn/do the work.

Fixing the stupid wetness bug in Nature's Pretty Sweet was 98% me back tracing the method than handles wetness until I found the improper typecast, and then 2% me changing the variable type to match.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Depends on the kind of mod, your knowledge of C#/XML syntax, and your patience to learn/do the work.

Fixing the stupid wetness bug in Nature's Pretty Sweet was 98% me back tracing the method than handles wetness until I found the improper typecast, and then 2% me changing the variable type to match.

Is that still a bug btw? I remember you messaging the author but it fell on deaf ears for a bit?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Donkringel posted:

Is that still a bug btw? I remember you messaging the author but it fell on deaf ears for a bit?

I haven't followed up on it. My relationship with programming and modding is very much based on how much it is annoying me at the time.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
There's a few Rim of Madness bugs that seemed to just be broken by the version change to 1.0 so I figured they would be somewhat easy to check out.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Anyone play Rimworld of Magic? Why did my Druid's spells just all vanish?

edit; ok don't know why I had them all to begin with, but eventually I had to unlock the spells again through my Magic tab. Weird.

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 10, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Save Our Ship 2: launching a space ship now turns it into an orbiting space station that you can slowly expand, and if you finish a quest you can go planet hopping. :aaaaa:

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

isndl posted:

Save Our Ship 2: launching a space ship now turns it into an orbiting space station that you can slowly expand, and if you finish a quest you can go planet hopping. :aaaaa:

Amazing. Such a cool concept, I hope it's not bugged out. I'm just blindly installing it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

isndl posted:

I've posted multiple times in this thread how I'd love a mod like this but doubt it's possible, and I cant tell you how great it feels to be wrong

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah that's wild.

What do people do when they run out of research? I'm rapidly approaching that point. I've got a giant generational colony going with 80 some pawns and it's probably time to start a new game soon.

Might SOS it, or just start a new colony with SOS2.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Paramemetic posted:

Yeah that's wild.

What do people do when they run out of research? I'm rapidly approaching that point. I've got a giant generational colony going with 80 some pawns and it's probably time to start a new game soon.

Might SOS it, or just start a new colony with SOS2.

In vanilla you're intended to use your researchers to operate the precious metals scanner once you're out of research, as a renewable source of steel, plasteel, uranium, etc. for you to use building the victory ship. Depending on your mod setup you may have other uses for your researchers, or for the metals.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Okay cool, never really engaged with the long range mineral scanner. Mostly I use them for horribly broken war crime mortar barrages but I don't want their skills to atrophy so I'll get some scanners up if I run out of research.

I also haven't done any of the rimatomics stuff so maybe they can work with that, I have a glitterworld tech fusion reactor and rimefeller, so I don't need it for power but I might as well.

Edit: I will probably end up starting a new colony soon anyhow because even Runtime GC can do nothing when you have a hundred colonists. But I've really enjoyed doing a generational colony run and strongly recommend it to anyone who hasn't done it before.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 10, 2019

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
How old is your colony then?

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I started a new colony last week that is cannibal based. I'm up to 6 cannibals and a handful of scrubs that do menial tasks, drug addictions, and regular mental breakdowns.

The game is much more fun when I'm not min-maxing every single colonist. If someone falls out of line they just get eaten

I love this game

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I started up a colony for the first time in a while, had a good early game. Sent two of my guys on a rescue mission while one stayed behind. Well, a one man raid shanked him pretty good, he was downed and the raider started to set fire to the building. The injured raider then decided to take a nap in the house as it heated up to 1000 degrees. They both burned to a crisp. The dog when berserk because his master died, killed one of the returning colonists. The other one went into a mental state and attacked a caravan that was passing through and they all promptly murdered the poo poo out of him.

10/10 would play again

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Everyone who does cannibal bases or warcrimes or whatever should get the bad person mod. It makes it so pawns can pick up the cannibal trait after eating human flesh enough times, and makes it so if the colony does hosed up things enough times they just get jaded to it all.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That would be nice, you'd think learned helplessness or at least numbness would set in once you've been forced to harvest enough kidneys.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Telsa Cola posted:

Everyone who does cannibal bases or warcrimes or whatever should get the bad person mod. It makes it so pawns can pick up the cannibal trait after eating human flesh enough times, and makes it so if the colony does hosed up things enough times they just get jaded to it all.
Once they get the taste... they can't stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4O1A-mmBWw

nerox
May 20, 2001
I am new at Rimworld and thought I was being bad murdering every animal without the word boom in it on my map to survive the winter.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You're being bad because you're leaving the boom animals. Just wait until rain.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

nerox posted:

I am new at Rimworld and thought I was being bad murdering every animal without the word boom in it on my map to survive the winter.

Theres mods to automate that task so you can focus on the more, um, important tasks. The "meat" of the game if you will :unsmigghh:

nerox
May 20, 2001
I am going to dive into mods after this game, I feel like I have gotten a grip on the basics at this point.

Anyone got a good mod list that adds a lot of QOL stuff, but doesn't change the core mechanics too much?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Immersion+ on the steam collections

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
boom animals are a good test, actually. you should definitely murder a couple after you have your compound set up. if the fire outside your compound walls ends up being a problem for you at all, then you should take steps to make sure that doesn't continue to be true.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Concrete firebreak grids are where it's at. You never know when a boomalope jogs on a mine or a yobbish catecrasher starts throwing molotovs all over :shobon:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah I play on Hills or rockier maps, so by year 2 I typically have been able to build a few patches of 10-15 Concrete tiles between outcroppings to segment the non-perimeter areas of the map into at least three major chunks, so one ship crash or lightning strike can’t wipe out all the growing wood/wildlife food at once.

Basically there are very few ways that planning ahead won’t pay off in the long run in this game, the trick is balancing the work needed to take precautions against the other precautions you won’t be able to take if you are more thorough with the task at hand.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you're looking to build the cheapest possible firebreak as quickly as possible, a few pillars supporting a 3-wide roof will do the trick. Plants won't grow under the roof without a sunlamp, and fire can't spread onto bare dirt. Since roofs are free you don't need to transport construction materials except for the pillars, and a single rock chunk can produce enough stone for 4 pillars, which can support something a 25-30 tile wide firebreak. Be aware that raiders might use your pillars for cover, so be careful how you place them. (or put a landmine on the raider side)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You could also consider damaging the pillar until it's near destroyed, then when raiders pile under the roof you shoot the pillar and drop the roof on their heads.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Collapsing roof traps are extremely dwarf fortress, highly recommended.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

HelloSailorSign posted:

You could also consider damaging the pillar until it's near destroyed, then when raiders pile under the roof you shoot the pillar and drop the roof on their heads.

Mine and damaged pillar!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
ied triggered roof traps are still really good unless they changed them in the last 6 months

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I cant play for a while but I noticed within days, compatibility mods for.Rimatomica and Hygiene are already out for SOS2, the only two mods I wasnt sure would work with it :allears: god bless the Rimworld community

I am curious about how I'll get water to the ship, but shuttle runs arent out of the question

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've got an early game raid with 2 really good pawns. what are my best odds of KO-ing them without killing them?

annoyingly they both have good melee stats and melee weapons so they'll probably do a number on my colonists.

Telsa Cola posted:

*furiously takes notes*

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

double nine posted:

I've got an early game raid with 2 really good pawns. what are my best odds of KO-ing them without killing them?

Psychic lances, but you likely don't have any so you're probably going to lose them to the random death RNG in vanilla anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
having surveyed an old cistercian medicine herb and agricultural cloister ground today, I'm all hosed up with the desire to micromanage agriculture and irrigation. Any good mods for this?