Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Let the iconic Texas business not owned by a horrible conservative ghoul cast the first stone

HEB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Earlier this year my friend had multiple interviews with buccees corporate including in person for hours that all went really well until they mentioned something about COVID and my friend didn’t completely blow it off. This was March I think, right when things were first starting to really kick off. After talking to him for hours over multiple interviews they never called back.

But still

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Let the iconic Texas business not owned by a horrible conservative ghoul cast the first stone

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

HEB?

Charles Butt is an equal opportunity ghoul.

Note: he does refrain from donating to politicians who are vocal about abolishing food stamps, but that's because HEB gets nearly $3 billion a year from the program.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 5, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah that's just good business sense, he's no late-era john mackey

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

AHHGHHHH he's not a General! It's general as in the opposite of specific, not a rank. Stop doing this, people!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

AHHGHHHH he's not a General! It's general as in the opposite of specific, not a rank. Stop doing this, people!

I'm an engineer of customer service

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1313139158324572163

RIP

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

As someone who was born yesterday (happy birthday to me), I am shocked and gobsmacked that the man who has successfully dodged an open-and-shut criminal trial for half a decade (and won re-election along the way!) felt like he should try his hand at even more brazen crimes.

RIP Ken, just couldn't stop doing crimes and flew a bit too close to the sun.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Has Abbott had any comment on the Paxton situation?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'll remain skeptical on whether he'll actually be made accountable for his crimes until he's actually forced out.

Just on the basis that the last few years have been full of people just breaking normal procedure or unwritten rules and the system being powerless to deal with that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lol loving chip roy

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Zwabu posted:

same thing ltgov said, they wont comment until the investigation is completed.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Zwabu posted:

Only in the most Abbott way possible: I am aware of it and would prefer not to speak of it.

Our Courageous Governor posted:

"These allegations raise serious concerns," Gov. Greg Abbott said Sunday in a prepared statement. "I will withhold further comment until the results of any investigation are complete."

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'll remain skeptical on whether he'll actually be made accountable for his crimes until he's actually forced out.

This is good policy in general but I'm going to break this rule and start celebrating because even in these troubled nothing-matters times, seven top aides and assistants (who are some/all attorneys?) bailing and publicly pointing the finger at your crimes; the FBI and the US Attorney getting looped in by some of those attorneys and giving the always-delightful "no comment"; and your former top aide turned US Congressman already calling for your resignation, less than a month before an election where your party is poised to get shredded down-ballot, is a lot to come back from.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah this is an astonishing level of accusation from essentially unimpeachable (by GOP standards) witnesses. Like we-have-him-on-tape levels.

https://twitter.com/wesrap/status/1313157584128483328
Hmmmmmmm

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I realize that this only rates like a 3 out of 10 relative to everything else breaking the last 72 hours, but I am [REDACTED] to inform you that John Hagee, founder of northside San Antonio megachurch Cornerstone Church, has been diagnosed with COVID. His son and grifter-in-training Matt Hagee asks that you pray for him and President Trump.

(Props to the Chron for the photo selection, featuring then-Councilman Brockhouse, of stupid Chick-fil-A controversy fame.)

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 5, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/chiproytx/status/1313170439301148673

Uh oh

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

My "I had no direct involvement in this scandal" t-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. John Cornyn said Monday that President Donald Trump “let his guard down” on the coronavirus and that his rhetoric has created “confusion” as the country has struggled to get the pandemic under control.

another crack in the taco bowl of republican unity

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
ngl I'm not fond of them but I'm increasingly... feeling something for the old guard, predictable texas conservatives over the past few years. it's like longing for a good old monarch to hate after hitler shows up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1313189268689477637

:unsmigghh:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the police will never help you

only trust your fists

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Blotto_Otter posted:

This is good policy in general but I'm going to break this rule and start celebrating because even in these troubled nothing-matters times

I've just been burned too many times by surefire ways to destroy careers just sliding off.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

ngl I'm not fond of them but I'm increasingly... feeling something for the old guard, predictable texas conservatives over the past few years. it's like longing for a good old monarch to hate after hitler shows up.

Old autocrats who aren't driven by radical ideology and who know well enough to restrain themselves just a bit when stealing and enriching themselves and their patrons are generally preferable to people who are attempting to burn everything down for the sake of white supremacy or evangelism or are trying to perform a smash and grab on the entire country all at once.

I do think it's interesting that Cornyn is trying to maneuver against the Trump death cult, but I don't really know if Texas republicans will see the light or if they'll snub him for scorning their pissmaster. Or if all of the senatorial campaigning or maneuvering doesn't matter at all because the people voting president will just vote their party's senator.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1313211348474630145

What could possibly go wrong?

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.
What is there to even reopen? I guess "officially" opening bars but here in DFW, pretty much every bar has already reopened.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Cowboys games, probably.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Reopen the ad-hoc emergency covid wards?

It seems kinda absurd to me that Texas was taking it more seriously when cases outside of NYC were minimal, and now that loving Lubbock has outstripped our infected per capita numbers, it's business as usual.

Also, my best friend at TTU's grad classes in-person classes have all since been cancelled and sent to zoom, including one where 3/5 students came to class with covid :eng99:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1313232205360099330

Oh wouldn't it be nice if this took down like MQS and Tim Dunn and the entire Tarrant County GOP

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1312902456016281606?s=20

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1313232205360099330

Oh wouldn't it be nice if this took down like MQS and Tim Dunn and the entire Tarrant County GOP

:texas:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

JohnCompany posted:

Just posting as a lawyer; know nothing about this specific investigation into Paxton. Seven attorneys under you doing this at once is sending me huge vibes of "he's gonna get caught, and when he does and we haven't reported this we're all disbarred [lawyers have ethical duties to disclose certain things] unless we've reported it first."

Yeah this is really getting me towards "holy poo poo maybe Paxton gets owned" territory

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux posted:

Yeah this is an astonishing level of accusation from essentially unimpeachable (by GOP standards) witnesses. Like we-have-him-on-tape levels.

I'm just going to assume this means they're all rich white dudes.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/amalykinz/status/1313283960940748800?s=21

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'm just going to assume this means they're all rich white dudes.

They're all Federalist Society members

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I’m the missing Central Texas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gettin' on down to th' swamps 'n bayous of mcmullen county texas

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux posted:

They're all Federalist Society members

So, yes.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

I'm the West Texas A&M University in North Texas but not near University of North Texas which is in the Metroplex.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I remember very clearly from Texas History class that the west part is called "Basin and Range."

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I'm well-known hill country destination Temple, TX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Houston: Now including everything halfway to Port Lavaca, but gently caress anything east of the San Jac

also gently caress that little bit of LaPorte

https://twitter.com/Corpus_DSA/status/1312902394322321408?s=20

I've seen like 3 trump signs total over here in Baytown lmfao

e: to be clear it's not like I've gone hunting for them. Just saw one pinned to the street sign for a lovely RV park the other day.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 6, 2020