Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Rolled Cabbage posted:

There is a food/recipe blogger's website I want to find. It's driving me crazy.

She is from somewhere green on the Eastern seaboard e.g. Vermont, Massachusetts
Is Korean
Has a white website with a photo at the top and recipes on a side bar
Has a recipe for some kind of Korean/soy sauce beef (recipe includes sugar)
Most of the stuff is like 'healthy superbowl snacks'
Title may or may not have 'mom' in it

Any ideas? She has her own mailing list and does the recipe blogging stuff as a career but google is totally failing me today.

http://www.koreanbapsang.com/

This one maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A recipe I followed tonight recommended pan searing a fish fillet coated with minced garlic and olive oil on Medium High.

I thought smoking up olive oil and burning garlic were culinary no-nos. Should this be a red flag to me that the person writing the recipe is clueless or am I wrong here? I ended up going medium low to keep my kitchen from smoking up. Still burnt the garlic bits though.

I have a glass top range and I'm just horrible at setting proper cooking temps to begin with. But this recipe seemed way off base to start.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Glass tops have been really bad for me at setting temperature. Going from electric growing up to gas for a few years to one of those has been a painful experience.

Burnt garlic is not-so-good but it's not necessarily bad to get it a bit toasty. Roasted garlic is a thing (on a much longer timescale), so a bit browned isn't necessarily bad. And non-extra virgin olive oil isn't bad to cook in, although you may as well use your cooking oil of choice for it. It may have been meant to be cooked quickly so the garlic doesn't burn.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Ferret King posted:

A recipe I followed tonight recommended pan searing a fish fillet coated with minced garlic and olive oil on Medium High.

I thought smoking up olive oil and burning garlic were culinary no-nos. Should this be a red flag to me that the person writing the recipe is clueless or am I wrong here? I ended up going medium low to keep my kitchen from smoking up. Still burnt the garlic bits though.

I have a glass top range and I'm just horrible at setting proper cooking temps to begin with. But this recipe seemed way off base to start.

Olive Oil has kinda become synonymous with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. If it's not extra virgin, then it's just another normal oil with a higher smoke point. EVOO tends to have more pronounced and delicate flavors that get removed at heat - which is why you ought not, but can anyways, cook with it.

Anyone telling you to heat oil until it smokes is most likely trying to give you a visual indicator of a temperature range, but in a very bad way. You really shouldn't be smoking your oils. The best way to treat oil is to heat it until it gets shimmery, or really nicely runny.

Many recipes can be adjusted for that and turn out wonderfully. You shouldn't dismiss a recipe, but don't be afraid to (unless you're baking) alter it according to what is actually correct treatment of ingredients.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 27, 2015

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Drifter posted:

Anyone telling you to heat oil until it smokes is most likely trying to give you a visual indicator of a temperature range, but in a very bad way. You really shouldn't be smoking your oils.

Unless you're doing a stir fry!

But yeah, I've given up relying on qualitative descriptors like low, medium, medium-high, high heat, etc. Range temperatures are way more complex than that, I just rely on what the intended result is and adjust in turn.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
True. But I still think smoking/burninating your oil adds such a specific (and in my case undesireable) flavor that I purposefully never get it to that point (except by accident because I'm an idiot sometimes). I'd switch to a higher smoke point oil if I wanted to cook at a higher temperature.

I'd also suggest trying to cook the aromatics to finish with the fish. So, add the meat first, and then the aromatics as the meat approaches its doneness to have them finish together.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

The Ferret King posted:

Burning garlic adds a definite different flavor. Medium high should not get to that point.

Also,

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/cooking-with-olive-oil-faq-safety-flavor.html

So no, it's fine.

One thing you can do if you're concerned about burning garlic is as a very first step drop a bunch of smashed (not minced, just smashed) pieces in the hot-as-hell oil and fry it, then pull out the pieces when they brown.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

One thing you can do if you're concerned about burning garlic is as a very first step drop a bunch of smashed (not minced, just smashed) pieces in the hot-as-hell oil and fry it, then pull out the pieces when they brown.

Garlic gets wildly different depending on how you prepare it, too! (And another bit on cooking garlic on high heat.)

There's lots of different articles on garlic on Serious Eats. Burnt garlic is rarely a desirable thing, but this garlic and sesame mayu is simply amazing. The operative thing for mayu is to burn it as slowly as possible, however.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Jan posted:

Garlic gets wildly different depending on how you prepare it, too! (And another bit on cooking garlic on high heat.)

There's lots of different articles on garlic on Serious Eats. Burnt garlic is rarely a desirable thing, but this garlic and sesame mayu is simply amazing. The operative thing for mayu is to burn it as slowly as possible, however.

Pro links, thank you

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I would have never thought to blacken garlic. At that point the garlic is more of a texture and smoke-flavored thing than any sort of garlic thing, right?

I'm going to try this twice and see if I prefer it just caramelized, or, as suggested, carbonized.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Drifter posted:

At that point the garlic is more of a texture and smoke-flavored thing than any sort of garlic thing, right?

Even when cooking it slowly, it doesn't dissolve like caramellized onions do, if that's what you're thinking. It remains relatively solid, which is why you need to run it through a blender to make mayu.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Granola talk; do you goons have a favorite dirty hippy recipe for granola.

I do apologize for constantly asking about stuff for my bike ride and everything.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jan posted:

Even when cooking it slowly, it doesn't dissolve like caramellized onions do, if that's what you're thinking. It remains relatively solid, which is why you need to run it through a blender to make mayu.

I meant that if it is cooked black it's just like eating charcoal, rather than any garlic-like substance, and the only reason to keep it is to have it add some grainy smoky objects to the dish. I just can't see what cooking it black adds aside from that.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Drifter posted:

I meant that if it is cooked black it's just like eating charcoal, rather than any garlic-like substance, and the only reason to keep it is to have it add some grainy smoky objects to the dish. I just can't see what cooking it black adds aside from that.

Ahh, I see what you mean. Well, I do stop cooking before it's actually charred, so to speak... I don't think it can really turn charcoal-ish from cooking in oil, the oil seeps in and keeps some of the aroma in.

I did wonder about cooking to dark brown vs. pitch black the first time I made it, it tasted fine with dark brown so that's how I do it now.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Then there's the other black garlic

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Granola talk; do you goons have a favorite dirty hippy recipe for granola.

I do apologize for constantly asking about stuff for my bike ride and everything.

Are you just asking how to make granola or are you looking for something off the beaten path? Granola is normally pretty straightforward, and you can customize it to suit your taste. Here's a good springboard: http://markbittman.com/recipe/granola/ Basically you take the ingredients, toss them in a bit of sweetener, and bake for a bit.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

Then there's the other black garlic

Haha 3 fuckin' weeks. Jesus.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Drifter posted:

Haha 3 fuckin' weeks. Jesus.

I'm sure if I got a peek at their gas bill, I'd either faint from that, or the smell of 3-weeks smoldering garlic.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's so good, man :dong:

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

Are you just asking how to make granola or are you looking for something off the beaten path? Granola is normally pretty straightforward, and you can customize it to suit your taste. Here's a good springboard: http://markbittman.com/recipe/granola/ Basically you take the ingredients, toss them in a bit of sweetener, and bake for a bit.

What would be a good high protein addition to it?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Lots of nutz.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What Casu said. Looks like peanuts have more protein per weight (~25%) than almonds or sunflower seeds (~20%), but soy nuts might work, they have maybe twice as much protein.

Or put in some jerkey. That'll work.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've never had it with granola, but my friend make fake clif bar with nut and the peanut butter powder stuff to get as much protein per bite as possible.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Quinoa has more protein than oats, but granola is always going to be sweet carbs, that's what it's about. If your goal is protein, eat an egg.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

Quinoa has more protein than oats, but granola is always going to be sweet carbs, that's what it's about. If your goal is protein, eat an egg.

Is there an egg recipe that can last hours on the road without spoiling?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Is there an egg recipe that can last hours on the road without spoiling?

Powdered or dehydrated eggs.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bring big bags of tofu skins.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
An ice pack will keep boiled eggs at least until lunch. Other high-protein portable foods are jerky, Greek yogurt, protein powder, some nondairy milks, shelf-stable pouches/cans of fish or meat. Nuts have some protein but more fat.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Drive a flock of ducks before you.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Eeyo posted:

What Casu said. Looks like peanuts have more protein per weight (~25%) than almonds or sunflower seeds (~20%), but soy nuts might work, they have maybe twice as much protein.

On the soy nut tip: thanks to the jook thread, I've been introduced to the wonder that is Angry Lady sauce. Gravity's got a recipe on the GWS wiki for homebrew Angry Lady that calls for soybeans.

1. Are these what he's talkin' about?
https://www.google.com/search?q=dried+soybeans&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=peU-Va3TGIGosAWFmIE4&ved=0CFYQsAQ&biw=1138&bih=580
2. Are these what are also referred to as soy nuts?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but my soy knowledge begins and ends with tofu and edamame. Lookin' for cheap protein to sustain my broke rear end, and I know the Asian market near me sells these for like less than a buck a pound.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Stir some wheat germ into peanut butter and fold oats in to make clusters.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Cavenagh posted:

Drive a flock of ducks before you.

When you get hungry, kill a horse. You cut off a steak, as big as you want, and then put it on a stick over the fire to cook it. When you run out of horses, just get more.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

On the soy nut tip: thanks to the jook thread, I've been introduced to the wonder that is Angry Lady sauce. Gravity's got a recipe on the GWS wiki for homebrew Angry Lady that calls for soybeans.

1. Are these what he's talkin' about?
https://www.google.com/search?q=dried+soybeans&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=peU-Va3TGIGosAWFmIE4&ved=0CFYQsAQ&biw=1138&bih=580
2. Are these what are also referred to as soy nuts?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but my soy knowledge begins and ends with tofu and edamame. Lookin' for cheap protein to sustain my broke rear end, and I know the Asian market near me sells these for like less than a buck a pound.

Well for whatever reason google images seems to have picked out 2 completely different things to show side by side (thanks google!).

But there's a difference between "dried soybeans" and soy nuts. Think of dried soybeans like dried beans. You wouldn't want to chomp down on some bulk pinto beans, right? Dried soybeans need to be cooked, fermented (tempeh), or processed into soy milk for tofu/whatever.

I'm not sure how soy nuts are processed, but my guess is that they are cooked and then roasted until they're mostly dried. That way you can just eat them without any cooking. I'm guessing that the recipe wants these since it says you can use peanuts as well and there's no long cooking.

I'm sure you could eat the raw, dried soybeans if you cook them more or less like common beans, but I have to admit I've never tried that so I don't know how they taste. If you're looking for a cheap protein source, just traditional beans (black, pinto, red, etc) + rice/wheat/corn can never go wrong. It's important to get both of those since beans lack in some proteins that the grains have.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

On a serious note, what would be a good hard cheese?

When I go camping I buy a block of this cheese. It's a reasonably plain cheddar but it's wrapped in wax so after you cut off a piece you can put the wax back on and keep it sealed. It'll definitely keep for at least a couple of days - a week in your backpack.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
I have some garlic soup leftovers, that I'd like to solidify and use as a post-gym snack tomorrow.

Any recommendations on how? Just mix it with some thickener?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Freeze it. Garlic soup lollies!

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Scientastic posted:

Freeze it. Garlic soup lollies!

That sounds refreshing!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Add enough gelatin to make garlic soup jigglers.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
I want to make myself a healthy full english breakfast every morning before work, what can i use, in which ammount, and how do i cook it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yggdrassil posted:

I want to make myself a healthy full english breakfast every morning before work, what can i use, in which ammount, and how do i cook it?

How much time do you have, and what do you like?

I'd suggest a breakfast burrito (whatever healthy tortillas, eggs/meat, a little cheese, beans, salsa, greens) and maybe a smoothie (nuts/peanut butter, greens, banana/apple, water).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 29, 2015