Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Special appearance by Chester Bennington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I guess that's why it popped up

Pretty wild though. They should make kits!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I'd prefer a distressed version.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If you have a cat that's your only option

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

baka kaba posted:

Who likes tone wood???
The corrugated body gives it a twangy, bright sound...but I'd rather see something in a honeycomb or hexaboard, which is gonna be warmer and give you way more sustain.

Tone wood is such loving snake oil. Wood is probably the loving least important thing in an electric guitar, as far as sound. The pick you use probably matters more.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

For those of you who buy a lot of guitars I'm curious if you find yourself buying "down". Meaning do you only buy guitars that are "better" than ones you already own, in terms of price (of course I know price doesn't always dictate quality)? Is it sort of "I already own a Gibson Les Paul standard, why would I buy an Epiphone"?

I got my Taylor 814ce and Gretsch 6120TM I paid a lot for and they are the pride and joy of my collection. I got my American strat and I'm sure I'll add another but I wouldn't look at a Squier or MiM. My most recent purchase however was a MiJ Jackson Dinky, I got such a hard on for Jacksons (well, besides the Rhoads, all due respect to Randy). Picked it up for a few hundred bucks second hand, its my second 90s Japan Dinky. The neck, its paper thin, its beautiful. You can score some nice electrics for cheap, especially second hand.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I used to have a MiJ dinky and I keep meaning to pick one up while they're still a relative steal on the used market.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I think cheaper guitars can be more fun. Less worried about dinging them, and you can get some great sounds out of them.

I tried out an Epiphone Les Paul the other day, it had a satin finish on the back and it sounded really good. And I own a Gibson, a 2016 Traditional. I might pick it up once it goes on sale.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

2i4 comes in tomorrow. Shootout is all ready.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
last time I tried a bunch I came away with amplitube, and I still think it sounds pretty drat good.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I fully expect to dislike them all and go apologize to my tube amp but hey I'm trying my best to go in with an open mind.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The stages generally go 1) get a cheap guitar 2) get an intermediate guitar 3) start buying a lot of both to try to find the equivalent of the nicer, expensive guitar you would rather have, 4) get the nice expensive guitar you wanted to begin with. Unfortunately 4 doesn't come for some people but if you play enough then it is worth saving for the nice guitar you want - after that you can buy cheap guitars and appreciate them for what they are, maybe upgrade parts and have fun with them rather than chase the dream of that nicer guitar buying several less expensive ones and hope they sound like the one you want. Also after 4 you can just start collecting and get more guitars of all prices. :homebrew:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
rio is right, that is a common progression. Those of us who don't make bank don't go filling out our collections with top-of-the-line guitars, even when we reach for something that today is considered mid-range but when I started playing it'd be top-of-the-line. Things have changed an awful lot (and I do mean awful.)

My new Strat is one of my "4s" and it's taking a lot of effort to not come in here and spam more pictures and stuff. In so many ways (to very many people) it's just a boring throwback but to me it's turning out to be the old aesthetic with advanced ergonomics and I'll be quiet now because I could go on about this drat guitar because it's taken me so long to get here and holy poo poo I wish I could hand it to you and let you play it. I'm more and more convinced it's just superb.

Ok, gently caress it, one new picture, sue me.

E: In a way it's ok that the guitar is a throwback because I've remembered so am I.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 26, 2017

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

rio posted:

The stages generally go 1) get a cheap guitar 2) get an intermediate guitar 3) start buying a lot of both to try to find the equivalent of the nicer, expensive guitar you would rather have, 4) get the nice expensive guitar you wanted to begin with. Unfortunately 4 doesn't come for some people but if you play enough then it is worth saving for the nice guitar you want - after that you can buy cheap guitars and appreciate them for what they are, maybe upgrade parts and have fun with them rather than chase the dream of that nicer guitar buying several less expensive ones and hope they sound like the one you want. Also after 4 you can just start collecting and get more guitars of all prices. :homebrew:

That applies to a lot of things. Whenever I delve into a new hobby I do a little shotgunning, buying a variety of inexpensive / mid range gear, then use that to help figure out what it is I really want/expect, and finally get something I really really want; by then it's usually the right thing. :-)

For guitars, my #4 is an American Standard Tele.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

betterinsodapop posted:

The corrugated body gives it a twangy, bright sound...but I'd rather see something in a honeycomb or hexaboard, which is gonna be warmer and give you way more sustain.

Tone wood is such loving snake oil. Wood is probably the loving least important thing in an electric guitar, as far as sound. The pick you use probably matters more.

I'd argue the weight of the body is important, but other than that ya its a load of bs. Value or type of wood doesn't matter imo, just 'is there a big enough chunk of it?'

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

rio posted:

Afterwards you have modifying guitars to some guitar hero spec, signature models, paying someone to build replicas. Then you can bid for the real thing. Don't forget to leave a note for the grandchildren that it's not just a played out old strat.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

rio posted:

1) Hondo Strat copy 2) Mexican Strat 3) Epiphones, Tokais, etc. 4) Gibson Flying V
I gave away the Hondo, sold the MIM Strat, and I still have the rest.
I greatly regretted having ever sold the MIM Strat. It was actually a Squier, from back when they were still made in Mexico. It was a NICE guitar, and I should't have gotten rid of it.
This year, I bought a new Mexican Strat, and it is the only guitar I ever play now. I should've stopped at 2!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the EC-256. It should get here Thursday.

Well this has put the proverbial cat among the pigeons for me. I was thinking of springing for a Ephiphone G400 Pro but this guitar seems better made in a similar price range. I guess its up to who I trust more, the QC in Vietnam vs the QC in China?

Also re progression chat: it's worth remembering that people like Clapton preferred to pick up pawnshop guitars and refurbish them (even in the 60's people were still pawning late 50's Les Pauls), but that takes some knowledge which takes experience to acquire.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 26, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

ewe2 posted:

Well this has put the proverbial cat among the pigeons for me. I was thinking of springing for a Ephiphone G400 Pro but this guitar seems better made in a similar price range. I guess its up to who I trust more, the QC in Vietnam vs the QC in China?

FWIW, I believe the EC-256 is made in Indonesia.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

FWIW, I believe the EC-256 is made in Indonesia.

Oh really? I was watching youtubes of it and on the back of the headstock it clearly said Vietnam, and I've seen a few references to that, but perhaps they changed factories? Indonesian-built guitars are generally better I hear.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I own both an SG G400 pro and an LTD EC330fm. The Eclipse is more comfortable to play sitting down but heavier. The bound neck feels better too. Can't compare pickups as the 330 has active humbuckers Vs passives on the 256 and p90's on the 256p

If you can find an older Viper256 go for it, SG/offset hybrid which is the best of both worlds, it's not too hard to find a viper 256 with the old ”worn” finish that's probably the shittiest factory relic job you can imagine

I'd kill for a purple Viper 330-fm but they all sold out insanely fast when they were released, followed by ESP cutting back on viper variants under the LTD name.

http://www.espguitars.com/products/9820-viper-256-stbc?category_id=1963312-viper-series

Phone edit, a link to the viper 256 specs.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 26, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

ewe2 posted:

Oh really? I was watching youtubes of it and on the back of the headstock it clearly said Vietnam, and I've seen a few references to that, but perhaps they changed factories? Indonesian-built guitars are generally better I hear.

Yeah I guess they changed. Here's the back of the headstock from the one I just bought:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

ewe2 posted:

Well this has put the proverbial cat among the
Also re progression chat: it's worth remembering that people like Clapton preferred to pick up pawnshop guitars and refurbish them (even in the 60's people were still pawning late 50's Les Pauls), but that takes some knowledge which takes experience to acquire.

Clapton is quoted many times over saying he'd look for guitars that were "well favored" on the neck because that generally meant that thy played nice. Kinda cool.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yes, I was originally a little dismayed at how worn my 80's Ibanez was, but reassured me it was good enough to play and by hell it's a great guitar.

For expensive guitars, I'm only playing my Gibson Les Paul now despite having really nice telecaster, acoustic and aforementioned Ibanez - it is just leagues beyond in fit, feel and finish. I am now looking to get shot of those three and get a classic appointed LP with a fat bitch of a neck and PAF style humbuckers and call it done.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
If you're going to go nuts you should add in some smaller dev stuff like TSE X50, Ignite Amps' Emissary, Mercuriall Spark and Thermionik/Recabinet. For software modeling these days it seems like the smaller, more specialized plugins are better put together than the "does everything except hire a mastering engineer" suites. I don't think I've touched Amplitube or Guitar Rig for a year.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The local shop has a 2007 Standard Telecaster for $475 (including a gig bag). I assume that's the MIM model? Is that a good price? Would I be better off getting that instead of a new Classic Vibe, or does the price difference all go into the badge rather than actual quality?

Pictures here. It looks basically new to my admittedly untrained eye, I guess it was somebody's wallhanger.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Xenocidebot posted:

If you're going to go nuts you should add in some smaller dev stuff like TSE X50, Ignite Amps' Emissary, Mercuriall Spark and Thermionik/Recabinet. For software modeling these days it seems like the smaller, more specialized plugins are better put together than the "does everything except hire a mastering engineer" suites. I don't think I've touched Amplitube or Guitar Rig for a year.

I'll check those out. So far I like Bias FX more than the others with Amplitube and TH3 close behind. But unfortunately my fears were accurate. I don't find any of them close to a tube amp in any capacity. Like not even near. I'm hoping I can spend some time with the demos and get used to them but right now nothing has hit the spot at all. Sucks but oh well.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Anime Reference posted:

The local shop has a 2007 Standard Telecaster for $475 (including a gig bag). I assume that's the MIM model? Is that a good price? Would I be better off getting that instead of a new Classic Vibe, or does the price difference all go into the badge rather than actual quality?

Pictures here. It looks basically new to my admittedly untrained eye, I guess it was somebody's wallhanger.

Looking at what's moving on eBay, that's around the average price - maybe a hair more given the condition. I've generally found the 2000s era MIMs to be quite well made, but with a price difference of ~$70 between that a new Classic Vibe, I'd say it really comes down to feel. Which neck is more comfortable in your hand? How does the weight of the body feel? Just about everything else is replaceable, so those are the big factors.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Anime Reference posted:

If it were USA that would be a nice deal. For a MiM that is just ok and unless it was an extremely good player I would pass on it. I had a 2008 and the neck was ok but the frets were meh. I liked the neck pickup but the bridge pickup was a little weak. I ended up putting Lollar Special T's in it and it sounded great. I hosed up a refinish though when I decided to try to contour the body so I don't have it anymore except the parts. I got it new for 250 bucks though back in 2009...I don't know if I would pay close to 500 for it now though and if I were going to buy a Tele type guitar I wouldn't spend that money on a MiM these days.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Verizian posted:

If you can find an older Viper256 go for it, SG/offset hybrid which is the best of both worlds, it's not too hard to find a viper 256 with the old ”worn” finish that's probably the shittiest factory relic job you can imagine

That looks like a lawsuit guitar to me :P However, I think I'll go for the SG chiefly because it has tone pots per pickup and that lack on the LTD would get to me. But I will keep ESP in mind in future, I really hadn't had them on my radar and they seem to do good stuff. As I'm laybuying this guitar it'll be a while before I get it but the sale is a saving of A$200 so I can't really ignore the opportunity.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah I guess they changed. Here's the back of the headstock from the one I just bought:

Interesting, and probably good move. Indonesian cred is rising, I have a G&L Tribute bass from there and a Washburn xb125 (an amazing 5 string for the price), I'm getting the guitar for recording.

Captain Apollo posted:

Clapton is quoted many times over saying he'd look for guitars that were "well favored" on the neck because that generally meant that thy played nice. Kinda cool.

Yeah he knew they'd been loved, he was after maple Strat necks because there were so few outside the US and found heaps of them there. The story of Lucy which he gave to Harrison is pretty well known, it's a lucky story given how few of those were made.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I think part of the disparity between ampsims and real amps is actually the output- even the most realistic impulse or cabinet model doesn't have the same 'feel' as a proper cabinet because its coming at your ears through headphones or studio monitors. I find this is more the case with bass than guitar though, there isn't that same physicality.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

NonzeroCircle posted:

I think part of the disparity between ampsims and real amps is actually the output- even the most realistic impulse or cabinet model doesn't have the same 'feel' as a proper cabinet because its coming at your ears through headphones or studio monitors. I find this is more the case with bass than guitar though, there isn't that same physicality.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Amp simulators generally simulate the sound of a 'miced' cabinet, so what you are hearing is what it would sound like on a recording, they aren't simulating the sound of an amp in an open room. It took me awhile to get adjusted to that but I think once you come at it with that mindset its easier to dial in a sound.

I assume I am not the only one that has set up what i thought was a great amp tone, stuck a mic in front of it and recorded it only to be sorely disappointed in what came out in the mix, that's one of the nice things about amp sims, what you hear is what you get.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Looper chat

With my success using a cheap delay/reverb pedal, I'm now ready to try a cheap looper pedal too before buying a Ditto for double the price.

Considering my amp doesn't have an effects loop though, I'm not sure how the logic will work with having a looper in front of the amp. Or maybe I'm just over-thinking how a looper works.

Will I only be looping what it sounds like before my guitar/pedal chain hits the amp? Would it not sound different from the straight signal coming out the amp were I not using a looper? Would this difference in tone be weird when playing over top of a loop as the "live" playing would be direct through the chain vs the loop that is looping before it went out in the first place?

It feels like the Inception of pedals.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I always have a fair amount of room sound on in Amplitube, the variety of rooms as well as mics and everything else is a cool addition.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

TollTheHounds posted:

Will I only be looping what it sounds like before my guitar/pedal chain hits the amp?

Yes.

quote:

Would it not sound different from the straight signal coming out the amp were I not using a looper?

It shouldn't. Loopers (shouldn't) color your sound, they just record a track and then just play it back on repeat mixed with your live signal. It's worth noting that since this is a recording, it will have whatever effects you have on before it locked into the loop. So if you want a cleaner loop to play over, turn down your guitar volume knob, or turn off an OD pedal or whatever, record the loop, and then turn them back on/up to play lead over the loop.

quote:

Would this difference in tone be weird when playing over top of a loop as the "live" playing would be direct through the chain vs the loop that is looping before it went out in the first place?

This question doesn't really make much sense. The looper records a snippet of sound, and then plays it back on repeat (mixed with your live input). It should sound like whatever you played when you recorded the loop.

quote:

It's really much simpler than you're thinking! Just remember that since it's a recording of whatever goes into it, nothing to do with your amp settings will be recorded, since those are further down the signal chain. So if you change amp settings, it will change the sound of the loop you're playing back. Better to just dial in a cleaner sound you like on your amp, and then use pedals (before the looper) for any sort of boost or tone shaping. I will say that if you're using heavy reverb or delay (and not screwing with the settings on them), it's generally best to put those after the looper, unless you like having your reverb trails or delay repeats cut off when it loops. A way around this is to play a few bars before you start the looper recording to have those baked in to the start of the track, but it can be hit or miss how well those line up at the loop point.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

TollTheHounds posted:

Looper chat

With my success using a cheap delay/reverb pedal, I'm now ready to try a cheap looper pedal too before buying a Ditto for double the price.

Considering my amp doesn't have an effects loop though, I'm not sure how the logic will work with having a looper in front of the amp. Or maybe I'm just over-thinking how a looper works.

Will I only be looping what it sounds like before my guitar/pedal chain hits the amp? Would it not sound different from the straight signal coming out the amp were I not using a looper? Would this difference in tone be weird when playing over top of a loop as the "live" playing would be direct through the chain vs the loop that is looping before it went out in the first place?

A straight chain into the amp is as simple as you can get. Every part takes the sound coming in and changes it and passes the result out to the next thing. Once it hits the amp it goes through that (any gain stages, the EQ etc) and then it goes out to the speaker. That's literally it

Your looper just takes the sounds coming in and does stuff to them, like recording or adding them as a layer or whatever. The sounds coming in are affected by what comes before the looper in the chain. Once the looper records a snippet, that's just what the recording sounds like

This means you can turn stuff on and off in the chain before the looper, like adding some spacey delay to create an atmospheric backing, or dialing in a lead tone to add a riff, whatever you want. It's sort of like having a really limited mini DAW you're recording to. The sound that comes out is just the result you've created and got looping, and that whole thing will be affected by the stuff that comes after it in the chain

It really is as simple as the looper recording the sound reaching the input, and the finished collection of recorded bits and whatever you're playing over the top of that is the output - and you can pipe that through more stuff

If you're asking if the looper is transparent, and a recorded bit sounds exactly the same as going direct, it depends - you might get a slight volume drop, otherwise it should sound identical unless it does some filtering as an effect or there's a tone control

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Anime Reference posted:

I went and tried this, it didn't exactly light me on fire so my credit card stayed in my wallet.
To be fair I don't know how much of that was the guitar's fault and how much was just me feeling weirdly self-conscious trying out a guitar in public. The staff were all nice enough and I have plenty of experience playing instruments around other people; I guess I've just gotten more neurotic as I get older. The guy did say he'd never heard anyone play "Xanadu" in the store before so that's something at least.

While I was there I also tried out a Squier Strat with upgraded pickups. It seemed like a perfectly acceptable example of Strathood but I've decided that the traditional Strat sound is not really for me.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Ah ok, thanks!

I just way over-think in general, and I started wondering if the looped sound may be different from the "live" sound, because it's a recording playing through the amp, rather than the LIVE signal going through the amp.

But if the looper isn't total poo poo, it would exactly preserve the signals it has recorded such that it's identical to me playing 2 things at the same time.

I guess I just never thought about the logic of a looper and the context of an amp with no effects loop.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Effects loops complicate things and sully the purity of the direct chain. Worry about that stuff later!

You also have to bear in mind that combining two guitar 'tracks' is potentially going to sound a little muddy, just because they're occupying the same frequency ranges. When you're recording multiple tracks in a DAW you need to do some EQ and mixing to get them all to sit well together and shine individually

A looper (probably!) doesn't have that kind of fine-grained frequency control, it just plays the things together, so there's definitely a chance the recorded stuff won't sound as good as just the live signal on its own. There's a lot of caveats there, and really you just have to play with what you have. We're talking subtle stuff here with a decent pedal, not turning your guitar into a potato simulator

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

baka kaba posted:

Effects loops complicate things and sully the purity of the direct chain. Worry about that stuff later!

Got it! Thanks!

My use-case here is really just playing little rhythm riffs I discovered and then trying to solo on top of them on the fly.

Anything else I'd just record in Reaper and maybe if I get "serious" about my little songs I'll go that route. For now I just want to mess around without having to sit in front of my computer and making it a big project, and instead kind of create organically.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 28, 2017