Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh....Hey I uh....I bought that game and the DLCs on a sale and uh..never actually played em.

I should do this.

You wouldn’t miss much by skipping the original campaign. If you do play it, play it first, dragonfall has enough improvements that going back will be basically impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You wouldn’t miss much by skipping the original campaign. If you do play it, play it first, dragonfall has enough improvements that going back will be basically impossible.

I actually played the original just before this and I think they updated pretty much everything to the old game since the mechanics are almost identical (outside less linear structure).

Kennel has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Nov 5, 2018

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So basically, if you want a fun romp where you get a varied toolkit and an organically-ramping power level, play Aria. If you want to enter a room, kill a monster, get no drop, leave the room, re-enter it, kill the monster, etc. then play Dawn.

I way disagree with most of this. There's plenty of useful weapons in the castle, and there's plenty of useful souls as well. I just replayed through Aria and Dawn last month, although admittedly Dawn was a randomized-map run. There's no enforced soul grind at all.

Mierenneuker posted:

My first reaction was that it wasn't that bad in DoS, but then I realized I just grinded Ghost Dancer souls (boost your luck) early on and rarely unequipped them.

Then I have good/bad news for you/your point, because Luck in DoS was bugged and gives less than a .1 increase in drop rate for a full 99 Luck. It does basically nothing, and it's very plausible that your boosted Luck didn't give you a single extra drop in the whole game.

...of course, stat boosts in both games were pretty weaksauce.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

John Lee posted:

I way disagree with most of this. There's plenty of useful weapons in the castle, and there's plenty of useful souls as well. I just replayed through Aria and Dawn last month, although admittedly Dawn was a randomized-map run. There's no enforced soul grind at all.

Mm, my memory of the game was that I didn't get any fun souls in my run without specifically stopping to grind for them. Weapons-wise there are a few upgrades you can find but I definitely felt like they were pushing the soul fusion thing pretty hard.

And it's not that the game was overly difficult, it just wasn't as much fun. Aria was happy to give you access to a big ol' bag of tricks. Dawn felt a lot more miserly in comparison.

Oh well, this is the post your favorite things thread, not the other one. So I will say that Julius Mode in both Sorrow games is pretty dang awesome. In Aria he's just this amazing overpowered badass that rips through the game in no time. In Dawn you have to be a lot more careful, but you also have three party members and they each have a good set of tools to play with. Too bad they couldn't get Hammer on the team to serve as the ersatz Grant Danasty.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think Shadowrun: Hong Kong is very good but the DLC I haven't gotten far into and I hear it's not as good because the game has a hard time balancing postgame difficulty.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'd rather they pay homage to Crash 2. Crash 1 sucked.

Thems fighting words.
The crash minigame thing threw me off though cause it just didn't feel right. Maybe it was a different camera, or controls, or the TV input lag, but it annoyed me.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

John Lee posted:

Then I have good/bad news for you/your point, because Luck in DoS was bugged and gives less than a .1 increase in drop rate for a full 99 Luck. It does basically nothing, and it's very plausible that your boosted Luck didn't give you a single extra drop in the whole game.

...of course, stat boosts in both games were pretty weaksauce.

Jokes on you, if there was a placebo effect it did its job :suicide:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
That reminds me of two of my favourite things in Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

The first kind of emerges naturally from the cyberpunk magical setting. In Shadowrun, magic is real, which includes feng shui. One of the missions in Hong Kong involves trashing a rival corporation's office and moving their desks to ruin their business by proxy. Sadly it's not very subtle, you wreck their paintings and literally fight guardian spirits, but the implication is there that you can decide the fate of a company by hanging enough pictures in the wrong places.

The other one I don't actually remember if it was in Dragonfall or Hong Kong. Context: the games are usually good with giving you multiple approaches to a problem if you just explore, whether it's hacking, combat, conversation, finding a password on a note somewhere, etc. When in a hotel (?), I decided to walk around and see what my options are before doing anything, so I ended up opening all the doors and breaking into all the computers. Eventually I found the main server. It was slightly out of the way, but I still wanted to see what was inside out of curiosity. I'd scoured the place pretty thoroughly, but didn't find any passwords for it and there wasn't a hacking prompt. So I tried:
login: admin
password: admin

Access granted. :allears:

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Bushmaori posted:

Thems fighting words.
The crash minigame thing threw me off though cause it just didn't feel right. Maybe it was a different camera, or controls, or the TV input lag, but it annoyed me.

It's a mostly faithful recreation done from scratch. The controls are jankier than the actual game's were and all the code was obviously new so minor changes to collision detection and such totally could mess people up.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

yook posted:

I think I posted about this mechanic in the things dragging this game down thread way back when I was playing it, actually.

When I started playing I gauged it about the same as this, conceptually interesting but mechanically a bit irrelevant due to the ease of the game. IIRC what happened is there's one of those long tower climb segments with a lot of platforming and spikes everywhere, but at the top I simply wound up taking the left door into the final boss chamber and dying instead of taking the right door going into the save room.

What happened afterward was that the tower climb that was forgetfully easy the first time though took double digit attempts because any enemy contact knocked me into the spikes and took off half my health bar now that it was 1/3 the size. Then when I finally made it to the last boss who was legitimately pretty difficult, I wound up wasting several minutes every attempt recovering weapons from the zombie soldier then running back to the enemy generator to farm ammo/health which was tedious to the point I almost quit even though I'd been enjoying everything else about the game.

Still a neat idea, especially as a way to get you to try underused weapons, but when it's bad it's really bad. Just taking half the health upgrades instead of all and refilling ammo after recovering weapons (or just being more generous with refill stations) could smooth it out.

aaaaah, that sucks! it's been working for me so far. died on one of the earlier bosses the Crocomire-esque wall-breaking dragon dog--played far too recklessly. The previous boss had tiny enemies you could shoot at to replenish ammo/health, this one did not. What the hell, WayForward?! but the game was pretty forgiving, having the zombie soldier appear in an abandoned room right before the boss, but I had also saved immediately before it. I DID have to grind out ammo before trying again, so that really sucked. I am not looking forward to that happening again, but I'll enjoy it as long as I don't run into any bullsht

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I love these exchanges at the end of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night script posted:

Dracula: My son... tell me... what were your mother's last words?
Alucard: "I should not have hosed Dracula. That was a terrible idea. I totally deserve being burned at the stake."
Dracula: Ah, Lisa. You were... so right... and now, I die! Forever! Never to return! Farewell, my son!
Alucard: You're gonna be reincarnated as a fourteen-year-old albino boy in a pimp coat.

Richter: Alucard! You did it! How did you defeat your own father?
Alucard: This shield is, like, really good. Unbelievably good. I just hit dad with it until he died.
Maria: gently caress ME, ALUCARD.
Alucard: Flattering, but you are barking up the wrong tree.
Richter: Also, you're, like, fifteen.
Alucard: And we only talked, what, twice? Three times?

Seriously, the new translation is pretty good.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So the translation was done by the same team as the Ghost Stories dub?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

VolticSurge posted:

So the translation was done by the same team as the Ghost Stories dub?

No joke is pay for a DLC translation done by them

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ruflux posted:

It's a mostly faithful recreation done from scratch. The controls are jankier than the actual game's were and all the code was obviously new so minor changes to collision detection and such totally could mess people up.

When i found that out i was stunned. They couldn't get it to emulate right so its done entirely in engine.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: when you have a fist-weapon equipped, Alucard will do a divekick if you jump and press down-right + attack.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: when you have a fist-weapon equipped, Alucard will do a divekick if you jump and press down-right + attack.
I'm pretty sure he can do that regardless of weapon as soon as you get the double jump. As can every protagonist afterwards (at least Soma onwards). It's sadly a little clunky in SotN, there's nothing better than doing "the floor is lava" from candle to candle.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yes, but you can do it without the double jump when unequipped. I think he just kicks rather without the fast fall of the one you do with the double jump.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

RDR2 is full of stuff and I’m probably going to be filling this thread up before too long, but the thing I’m having the most fun with is that they expanded the first game’s mechanic where you could push a button to tip your hat and greet a passerby so that now you have one button to nicely greet them and one to antagonize them. My favorite thing is that if you greet someone and then antagonize them, Arthur turns his previous friendly greeting into a brutal insult.

“That’s a fine horse you got there, fella.”
“Thank you!”
“How long you two been married?”
“You son of a bitch!”

I once started an enormous brawl in the streets against three guys by telling one of them that he had a familiar-looking face, then that it reminded me of the last time I lifted my horse’s tail.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Glagha posted:

I think Shadowrun: Hong Kong is very good but the DLC I haven't gotten far into and I hear it's not as good because the game has a hard time balancing postgame difficulty.

I'm glad they took a break from the series, they seemed to be running out of ideas.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

RDR2 is full of stuff and I’m probably going to be filling this thread up before too long, but the thing I’m having the most fun with is that they expanded the first game’s mechanic where you could push a button to tip your hat and greet a passerby so that now you have one button to nicely greet them and one to antagonize them. My favorite thing is that if you greet someone and then antagonize them, Arthur turns his previous friendly greeting into a brutal insult.

“Thank you!”
“You son of a bitch!”

I once started an enormous brawl in the streets against three guys by telling one of them that he had a familiar-looking face, then that it reminded me of the last time I lifted my horse’s tail.

That's a fine hat you got there feller, for me to poop on

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Calaveron posted:

That's a fine hat you got there feller, for me to poop on

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

“Thank you!”
“You son of a bitch!”

Can you press the nice greeting button after that and then everyoby's friends again?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1leDAwjtto

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing the new Spider-Man because my brother lent it to me. I like that with the photos of landmarks, you can just quickly get the camera out and snap it on the way past. If you do it right you barely have to slow down and it feels great. Also I got the power to spray webbing in all directions from the Repaired Classic Suit, and it's really broken. It makes most small fights way easier, like the crimes. Also the scene with Aunt May at the party and the immediate aftermath was adorable.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Selklubber posted:

Can you press the nice greeting button after that and then everyoby's friends again?

Yeah if you push the nice button again Arthur will say something like “aw come on, I’m just playing with you” and the other guy will comment that you have a strange sense of humor.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah if you push the nice button again Arthur will say something like “aw come on, I’m just playing with you” and the other guy will comment that you have a strange sense of humor.

Well, if I end up playing this game, that's what I'm doing. Endlessly.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i know it would be dumb and stupid from a lore perspective or whatever but i want Transistor 2
I appreciate Supergiant's refusal to repeat mechanics across games but... maybe they should just do that.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Another RDR2 one. When you go hunting you can skin the animals after you kill them. For real small game, he just puts the skin in his satchel. For bigger game like deer, Rams, goats, etc, you have to store them on your horse. So Arthur will unfurl the skin and lay it across your horse, stacking them every time you get a new one.

For the biggest game like Elk, Moose and Bears, you wind up with this huge roll that you can only carry one of at a time on your horse, which he puts on top of the medium size skins that are already laying across your horse.

Now, if you add more medium sized skins, I assumed that he would just unfurl them as normal and they’d clip through the large game roll, but no, he actually takes the extra step to stuff the skin under the large roll with the other medium ones.

I don’t know if that makes sense at all but it was a think that they totally didn’t have to do and I definitely appreciated the extra step.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

RoboRodent posted:

Well, if I end up playing this game, that's what I'm doing. Endlessly.

I like finding the town lunatics who immediately punch you in the face when you antagonize them.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Superboy VR has a level set in Metal Gear's Outer Heaven.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing the new Spider-Man because my brother lent it to me. I like that with the photos of landmarks, you can just quickly get the camera out and snap it on the way past. If you do it right you barely have to slow down and it feels great. Also I got the power to spray webbing in all directions from the Repaired Classic Suit, and it's really broken. It makes most small fights way easier, like the crimes. Also the scene with Aunt May at the party and the immediate aftermath was adorable.

The photos don't count unless you get them at the absolute worst angle, while zooming by, with like maybe a third of the actual landmark in the frame.

The spray webbing is good in the beginning, but becomes less so as you progress and find new enemies. You can get the same effect from a lot of your gadgets.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I have never used Web Blossom once. Unless there was a tutorial segment for it in my first playthrough...? The animation for it just looks ridiculous.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah I didn’t get a lot of mileage out of the web blossom either.

Now, the web bomb gadget... that was my MVP by far.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Just lol if you aren't using Rock Out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Byzantine posted:

Just lol if you aren't using Rock Out.

Useful for when that last enemy is stuck inside a wall.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Spider Bro will wreck ANYTHING mid/late-game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Spider Bro will wreck ANYTHING mid/late-game.

There should be an idle animation for Spider-Man where he just stands there with his arms crossed if you have Spider Bro and some drones going at the same time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

yook posted:

I think I posted about this mechanic in the things dragging this game down thread way back when I was playing it, actually.

When I started playing I gauged it about the same as this, conceptually interesting but mechanically a bit irrelevant due to the ease of the game. IIRC what happened is there's one of those long tower climb segments with a lot of platforming and spikes everywhere, but at the top I simply wound up taking the left door into the final boss chamber and dying instead of taking the right door going into the save room.

What happened afterward was that the tower climb that was forgetfully easy the first time though took double digit attempts because any enemy contact knocked me into the spikes and took off half my health bar now that it was 1/3 the size. Then when I finally made it to the last boss who was legitimately pretty difficult, I wound up wasting several minutes every attempt recovering weapons from the zombie soldier then running back to the enemy generator to farm ammo/health which was tedious to the point I almost quit even though I'd been enjoying everything else about the game.

Still a neat idea, especially as a way to get you to try underused weapons, but when it's bad it's really bad. Just taking half the health upgrades instead of all and refilling ammo after recovering weapons (or just being more generous with refill stations) could smooth it out.

I just beat the tower boss and I had to come back to this, because to The Mummy Demastered's credit the boss fight doesn't come out of no where if you choose the wrong door. For one, it's perhaps not immediately obvious, but before boss rooms you'll enter an empty transition room with unique creepy music to "warn" you. Also, as long as you pick up the Map for each section (and they are generally pretty easy to find in a room near a zone entrance), you'll know exactly where the save point is. Lastly, bosses are always marked on maps as "waypoints" by the Prodigium commander, so even if you don't have a map detailing save points, you should know where NOT to go. I had no issue avoiding the tower boss and getting to the nearby save point.

I mean, I know this doesn't really have anything to do with the issue of getting stuck in a point where you can't easily reclaim your gear, and the having to farm up ammo and health when a refill station isn't placed near a boss door is as tedious as it sounds, but credit due where credit due. Mummy Demastered is far from perfect (my kingdom for a double-jump), but not identifying save points isn't really a problem.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
A 2D platformer without a double jump is like a an Australia thread without improvised sounding rods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
There's an unlockable air dash technique and you can climb on ceilings, but I still can't get over the fact that there's not a double jump.