Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Only the PlayStation graphics Silent Hills are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Tired Moritz posted:

the silent hill voice acting isn't bad imo

Compare the original voice acting of silent hill 2 with the redub in the hd re release featuring professionals like Troy Baker. Immediately apparent how much less striking they are.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
baker sleepwalked through it, liam o’brien was a “gently caress were they thinking” choice for eddie, mcglynn’s got the right timbre for mary but her line reads are off

only laura bailey’s take on angela was better than the original and even that isn’t 100%, I found the original’s Abstract Daddy cutscene way more raw

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Baker had an exaggerated tired, constantly sighing performance with James. It just... didn't fit at all. Angela was the only new voice I actually liked. The new voices in Silent Hill 3 were a little better I think but yeah, for 2 Angela is the only one who came across as seeming genuine.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"Team Silent"'s habit of picking whoever they can find in the office that speaks English and having them voice half their game regardless of acting talent was funny and should be continued for all games in the genre.

Okay we spent 50 million dollars on this game about man's inhumanity to man and the guilt of killing your father in a boating accident. Who's the main character? Eh, Jiro in accounting spent a year in America let's just have him do it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
hosed up if you didnt think the voice acting was amazing for the last letter read

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

hosed up if you didnt think the voice acting was amazing for the last letter read

Don't have to be an actor and pretend you're about to burst into tears if it's already happening irl reading the script.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

This thread has some really terrible takes on Silent Hill, I swear. Only the first game has legitimately awful voice acting and even then it's like... Miles ahead of games like House of the Dead 2's VA

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

SUFFER LIKE G DID is top tier voice acting

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Goldman's voice acting is pure gold.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftc_Pbhb3IE

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

the loife cycle

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh hey, new game announcement from Frogwares (of Sherlock and Sinking City)

A "horror and mystery experience"

https://twitter.com/Frogwares/status/1527288105912311808?t=7rvU9ZL_w3x29iFWJvvEjA&s=19

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Glad Frogwares is still trucking, did anyone play their last Sherlock game?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Sakurazuka posted:

Glad Frogwares is still trucking, did anyone play their last Sherlock game?
I didn't but the consensus seemed to be that it was their best (and soapiest?) Sherlock game. Frogwares is very good at what they specialize in and they're... enthusiastic about what they don't

Hoping for more CoC! Sinking City was a rough gem

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
how are the sherlock games as mysteries tho

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Mr. Fortitude posted:

This thread has some really terrible takes on Silent Hill, I swear. Only the first game has legitimately awful voice acting and even then it's like... Miles ahead of games like House of the Dead 2's VA
I think the only acting in the series that really stands out as offputtingly bad was the private investigator in 3, Angela had some in universe justification for why she sounded so strange, the PI came off as more just inexplicably having a speech impediment, or not speaking english as a first language.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 19, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I think we can aspire to better than either house of the dead or “uh, maybe they have a speech impediment”.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

how are the sherlock games as mysteries tho

Mostly decent, a little uneven in quality. Crime & Punishments is probably the best Sherlock game I've played since it's about a bunch of different cases and you have to do actual detective work a d piece together what happened yourself and accuse the correct suspect and their motive. Though I've not played their most recent game and not heard much about it.

As for Call of Cthulhu, they've got two games under their belt. A Sherlock vs Cthulhu mythos crossover called Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened which is decent and a game called The Sinking City which is jank incarnate and not great but kind of interesting. To be honest, I sort of blame the publisher for the state of Sinking City since Nacon screwed Frogwares over during development, didn't pay them for their work on the game and then put the game on Steam and Epic Games with none of the profits of the sales going to Frogwares.

If it is another CoC game they're making I hope they found a much better publisher.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Did the Nacon stealing and distributing a pirated version on Steam ever lead to anything?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lurker2006 posted:

I think an overly clinical, officious expectation of art is probably not a great trend and

:rolleye:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

In general, which the quoted person in your quote prefaced with, it's not. That poster isn't saying there shouldn't be warnings about certain poo poo, I'm not understanding your sardonism.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Silent Hill is about

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Silent Hill is about

Holes. I got 1-4 backing me up here :colbert:

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

i'm pretty sure silent hill is about circumcision

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

CuddleCryptid posted:

"Team Silent"'s habit of picking whoever they can find in the office that speaks English and having them voice half their game regardless of acting talent was funny and should be continued for all games

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lifeglug posted:

Did the Nacon stealing and distributing a pirated version on Steam ever lead to anything?

Still in legal proceedings last time I checked

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

ill take a cast of randos off the street over ever hearing troy baker in a video game again

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

1stGear posted:

Vacant is a neat little free horror game about filming a ghost hunting show. About 30 minutes, mostly a walking sim, but really, really good at building tension.

this was a good recommendation, just played it this morning.

also has anyone here played iron lung? that was an amazing little experience.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

TheWorldsaStage posted:

In general, which the quoted person in your quote prefaced with, it's not. That poster isn't saying there shouldn't be warnings about certain poo poo, I'm not understanding your sardonism.

It simply isn't somethi g that is happening and complaining about this hypothetical problme is dumb

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've been waiting for over 2 decades for sega to finally use all of the major arcana and they JUST KEEP BLUE BALLING ME like lmfao when scarlet dawn was released and 2 of the 4 bosses were just Chariot and Hanged Man again. Judgment is already just Goldman merging Chariot and Hanged Man together into a parasitic relationship. Should've brought them back.

Makes sense that the next entry is a remake of 1. They already had the assets for a remade Chariot and Hanged Man from Scarlet Dawn and Magician has been in like half of the games already with 4 Special being the most recent one so that's probably a somewhat easy-ish model to pull assets from. It only leaves Hermit leftover as being the one that requires entirely new assets.

The only major arcana left is The Devil. At this point I fully expect them to troll me specifically by diving into minor arcana before we ever see The Devil. Sometime in the next 2 decades they'll just release a new house of the dead game where the final boss is the six of wands lmao.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I've been waiting for over 2 decades for sega to finally use all of the major arcana and they JUST KEEP BLUE BALLING ME like lmfao when scarlet dawn was released and 2 of the 4 bosses were just Chariot and Hanged Man again. Judgment is already just Goldman merging Chariot and Hanged Man together into a parasitic relationship. Should've brought them back.

Makes sense that the next entry is a remake of 1. They already had the assets for a remade Chariot and Hanged Man from Scarlet Dawn and Magician has been in like half of the games already with 4 Special being the most recent one so that's probably a somewhat easy-ish model to pull assets from. It only leaves Hermit leftover as being the one that requires entirely new assets.

The only major arcana left is The Devil. At this point I fully expect them to troll me specifically by diving into minor arcana before we ever see The Devil. Sometime in the next 2 decades they'll just release a new house of the dead game where the final boss is the six of wands lmao.

They'll sidestep it entirely by having House of the Dead: Overkill 2 instead and since it's a prequel they can sidestep the bosses being named after the Tarot.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I love House Of The Dead and was super bummed when the local arcade took out their 3 and 4 machines. That special version of 4 that only exist(s)(ed?) in Vegas and like 2 other places where it's more like a "ride" or whatever is my white whale and I am sad everytime I think about it since I'll never be able to play it...

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I love House Of The Dead and was super bummed when the local arcade took out their 3 and 4 machines. That special version of 4 that only exist(s)(ed?) in Vegas and like 2 other places where it's more like a "ride" or whatever is my white whale and I am sad everytime I think about it since I'll never be able to play it...

House of the Dead 4 Special did get ported to PS3 and you can play it on PC if you know how. But it definitely isn't the same without the spinning ride thing from the actual arcade cabinet.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Empress is one of the best designs and fights in the whole series

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Oh that post was about house of the dead, I thought FirstAidKite was just posted very heartily about something on the wrong thread

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CuddleCryptid posted:

Oh that post was about house of the dead, I thought FirstAidKite was just posted very heartily about something on the wrong thread

Aha, :same: I couldn't figure out if they were talking about the Persona series or the Yakuza series spin-off game.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021

Lifeglug posted:

You never get these kind of “I don’t understand these” posts about the epilepsy warnings on every game.

I have Some News about the way many shitheads treat people who suffer from epilepsy for you.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Lifeglug posted:

You never get these kind of “I don’t understand these” posts about the epilepsy warnings on every game.

There was like a full eight page meltdown involving multiple posters in the Cyberpunk thread when they removed the seizure-inducing lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I thought the exact same thing.

0 rows returned posted:

ill take a cast of randos off the street over ever hearing troy baker in a video game again

I hate his "natural" bullshit he does now. Also his Talion was so bad in Shadow Of War that I turned on the Italian dub.