Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

Motherfucker. Canada Play Store finally has 128gb XLs but they're only in silver. I need black gently caress you google

dbrand skin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not fully Android, but got a tracking number on my Google Home already from Target. Should be here in a couple days.

This is a thing that I also want.

Also, I need to get going on my Livin' The Google Lifestyle thread...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nimper posted:

dbrand skin

I was like 30 seconds too slow anyways, sold out.

I've never been so anxious to spend $1400 before.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Woohoo just placed my order for a black 128gb xl. How am I going to survive the next month and a half until it gets here?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

For people who’ve gone from iOS to android, how painful is it to move over data from the iPhone to an Android phone? A lot of my music has been purchased through iTunes, and the iOS 10 music app on iPhones is total garbage. I tried out android a few years ago and wasn’t crazy on it, and wasn’t a big fan of the music apps available, but now that iPhone’s music app is kind of crap (and i mostly use pandora / listen to podcasts nowadays anyways) I’m considering switching over to Android. However, it would be nice to not lose a lot of my music.

Upload your iTunes music to Google Music.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Just ordered a white Pixel XL 128 through the Canadian store. Would prefer black, but I have a black case for it already, so whatever. Expedited delivery means I get it tomorrow or Thursday. better than waiting for Rogers to get back to me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Woohoo just placed my order for a black 128gb xl. How am I going to survive the next month and a half until it gets here?

You're literally killing me here

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
So using pixel + nova launcher, assistant doesn't show up in recent apps, and results disappear as soon as I click away from it. Is there a way to change either of those behaviors?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I was like 30 seconds too slow anyways, sold out.

I've never been so anxious to spend $1400 before.
Also cases.

Dbrand skins are pretty slippery as well.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 2, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Dbrand skins are pretty slippery as well.

A-HAH! Dbrand "grip" edition, i.e. straight up precision cut 3M grip tape

I'm on it guys.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ordered a 32 XL against my better judgement (my 6p is pissing me off with it's 2ish hours of SoT and slow HDR processing :mad:). The 24 months interest free financing makes the T-Mobile $325 credit statement credit much less annoying. Now I just hope I can sell my 6p for a decent amount given that swappa appears to be flooded with them now

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Ironically this is the first time I've gotten a Google device without waiting ages at release. Even if they did get stuck in customs for 2 days in Australia because goog didn't value them correctly.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Magog posted:

Even if they did get stuck in customs for 2 days in Australia because goog didn't value them correctly.

Well, we did say as much in this thread! :v:

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Re: cases, I bought an Otterbox for mine. I was disappointed that they never made cases for Nexus so I'm pretty excited. I'm a total klutz so I need heavy duty cases

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Just ordered mine, almost a month wait. I haven't been excited for an Android phone since the S5 lol

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If and when I get a Pixel, I'm gonna get a case for it so thick and bricklike that Assistant's first words to me will be "For the love of God, Montressor!"

nerox
May 20, 2001
Got my otterbox for my pixel xl, still no shipment on my phone :(

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Oh poo poo, cool!

Also, thanks for the advice everyone, I'll most likely make the swap over to Pixel from iOS!

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
So images with the pixel get backed up to to google photos. Only, when I open up my google drive on a web browser and click google photos, I get a message that says google photos will appear here. Are the photos backed up from my pixel in some other google photos location that doesn't show up in drive?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

So images with the pixel get backed up to to google photos. Only, when I open up my google drive on a web browser and click google photos, I get a message that says google photos will appear here. Are the photos backed up from my pixel in some other google photos location that doesn't show up in drive?

https://photos.google.com

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I have an otterbox commuter for my XL and it's pretty sexy and really high quality. Makes it the same size as my wife's 6P with a diztronic though.

I ordered a custom "live" case too and it's taking loving forever. Ordered Oct 20th and it's still processing. Anyone receive theirs?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Here's what mine looks like:

The Google Photos on the left is similar to the app and link you provided. Shows my pictures in uploaded order. I created the Pictures folder several years ago myself. The Google Photos folder seems to put them in a chronological heirarchy with it being Year->Month-> then oldest to newest.

It got kinda of confusing when they just threw that left link into the fray.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Guess there was a reason why I didn't notice a charge time difference between 15w and 18w chargers.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11/01/google-clarifies-pixel-charging-speeds-5-pixel-peaks-at-15-watts-only-xl-can-do-18w/

TLDR, only the XL will ramp up to a full 18w while charging. So, if you have the normal Pixel, it's not necessary to seek out an 18w charger unless you want to future proof for later.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

That's really weird. I clicked the photos link and it opened with all the picture I had on there even before the pixel. But when I would go to the google photos tab from drive, it would just say this is where google photos will show.

Since going to the direct photos link and seeing those pictures.... now when I go there from drive, they all show. I can't explain it but it seems to be working now. Thanks for the link.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 2, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

rotaryfun posted:

That's really weird. I clicked the photos link and it opened with all the picture I had on there even before the pixel. But when I would go to the google photos tab from drive, it would just say this is where google photos will show.

Since going to the direct photos link and seeing those pictures.... now when I go there from drive, they all show. I can't explain it but it seems to be working now. Thanks for the link.

Maybe it was some indexing delay or something. I know Google has the computing power of a billion Dyson spheres but they're probably putting "indexing photos users can already access from a different place" low on the priority list.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

docbeard posted:

If and when I get a Pixel, I'm gonna get a case for it so thick and bricklike that Assistant's first words to me will be "For the love of God, Montressor!"

lol

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Messenger just updated and looks worse than the old design but I can't really explain why :/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's too busy.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe it was some indexing delay or something. I know Google has the computing power of a billion Dyson spheres but they're probably putting "indexing photos users can already access from a different place" low on the priority list.

Well but the weird thing is I have a lot of pictures in there already from before I had the pixel, like from 2009 to now. So it's not like they've been indexing for 7 years.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

rotaryfun posted:

You probably had to "authorize" the service, even if it didn't pop anything up.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Got ya, well thanks for getting that straight for me folks.

On a side note, still love my Pixel.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I like the new Messenger design, less wasted space.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

rotaryfun posted:

Well but the weird thing is I have a lot of pictures in there already from before I had the pixel, like from 2009 to now. So it's not like they've been indexing for 7 years.

You mean in Drive? Or in Picasa/Google Photos? They didn't start syncing the photos to drive as a proper "Google Photos" directory until the past year or two (but when they did, I am fairly sure it brought everything over) but they'd applied the photos to your Drive space (unless you let Google shrink them) before that if I'm recalling correctly. It's a little strange that they weren't just plopped over from their existing Drive folder but if anything this forum needs the ascii shruggie guy as :google: because that's exactly how they seem to just straight up playing calvinball sometimes.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Also, I need to get going on my Livin' The Google Lifestyle thread...

I suggest you announce it here, wait for a few months, post the draft over in Coupons, then abandon it in eighteen months and start over.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

spincube posted:

I suggest you announce it here, wait for a few months, post the draft over in Coupons, then abandon it in eighteen months and start over.

In 18 months introduce the Google Way of Life thread, strip the OP on the lifestyle thread and run both at the same time for some reason.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I ordered a custom "live" case too and it's taking loving forever. Ordered Oct 20th and it's still processing. Anyone receive theirs?

Sorry dude I didn't see this, yeah I ordered a Live Case for my forthcoming Pixel XL on October 15th and it's still processing. I was gonna call the Play Store support just to check the status of this, I'll let you know what they say.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
If I moved up to a Pixel XL next year (and prob kicked down my 6p to my moms who is finally ready for a BIGPHONE) I'd probably have to get this case since it seems to be the closest to those sweet Adopted Nexus 6p cases. I don't see that Adopted is making Pixel cases yet though.

the rest of the Google store cases look like crap and are either boring or with silly cartoons and poo poo. :corsair:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 2, 2016

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Keyser S0ze posted:

If I moved up to a Pixel XL next year (and prob kicked down my 6p to my moms who is finally ready for a BIGPHONE) I'd probably have to get this case since it seems to be the closest to those sweet Adopted Nexus 6p cases. I don't see that Adopted is making Pixel cases yet though.

the rest of the Google store cases look like crap and are either boring or with silly cartoons and poo poo. :corsair:

I was hoping Google would clear out those cases for the 5x, but they just completely dropped them when the Pixels were added to the store. All the 'official genuine' ones on eBay look like crappy fakes and the feedback items for them often talk about the fabric peeling off/discoloring etc.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I literally just ordered a boring Spigen case off Amazon for mine. Keeping an eye out for when that is actually available.

Also, was it in here where we all complained about password management (keepass vs lastpass)?

LastPass mobile is now free. https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/02/free-lastpass/?ncid=rss

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Moey posted:

Also, was it in here where we all complained about password management (keepass vs lastpass)?

LastPass mobile is now free. https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/02/free-lastpass/?ncid=rss

Cost was never the issue of password manager vs password manager, fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

Cost was never the issue of password manager vs password manager, fyi

Ah. I know "cloud hosted" vs self hosted databases was brought up but didn't recall if cost was mentioned.

Whatever, maybe this will get some stubborn people to start using something.