Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I haven't seen the channel before; what's the issue with him?

He was one of the first people on youtube to do dedicated videos on subjects related to medieval arms and armor. He has a background in archeology and has been on digs and such and knows a good bit about some things.

He also makes wildly wrong assertions every so often because he reasons himself into the wrong opinion. Most notably he has a turrible video on pikes that is terribly triggering to Hey Gal.

He helped pave the way for good content providers like Matt Easton, the bald guy in the linked video, and as such has been grandfathered in since his channel still has the biggest subscriber base and a guy like Matt would be stupid to be antagonistic towards Lloyd. However he has done multiple videos correcting him in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WoodrowSkillson posted:

He also makes wildly wrong assertions every so often because he reasons himself into the wrong opinion. Most notably he has a turrible video on pikes that is terribly triggering to Hey Gal.
one day i will murder youtube personality lindeybeige

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think he's right that no one was ever stabbed with a pike because of the porcupine effect.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I'm pretty sure he also said that cavalry was useless at one point because reasons

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

For example of how he will mix the good with the bad, he did a video on hoplite combat where his main point is that the historical "shoving match" was not the intended tactic. That is correct since people have tried it out and it does not work and people have also done the math and it literally can create crushing deaths like stampedes at concerts.

However he also then digs himself a hole by claiming hoplites would not have used the style of holding the spear overarm and over the top of the shield, when yeah, they did that.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm pretty sure he also said that cavalry was useless at one point because reasons

Nah he made a video where in he described various reasons why is "should" be useless, but was highlighting how various other factors trump things like "that big easy to hit target would be simple to kill"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Nah he made a video where in he described various reasons why is "should" be useless, but was highlighting how various other factors trump things like "that big easy to hit target would be simple to kill"

that's why they have the armor and the pistols and they hate you!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

HEY GUNS posted:

that's why they have the armor and the pistols and they hate you!
Cavalry really hates it when infantry has its poo poo together. Really really hates it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Cavalry really hates it when infantry has its poo poo together. Really really hates it.
poor old pappenheim, thought of swedes and died

edit: i was caracoled at once two years ago (i was standing in a trench with a pike at the time): the first guy in line shot at me and his pistol misfired, the SECOND guy shot at me and misfired, and only the third guy's pistol went off

owned

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
lindybeige repeated the "strv 103 was a defensive tank" myth and thus must die

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

TheFluff posted:

tbh im fine with him triggering tank people

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

TheFluff posted:

we absolutely have to tell him about tank destroyer doctrine

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
does anyone have any strong opinions about the german wehrmacht's "Panther" tank? I understand that it was overall an excellent design.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Better than the tommy cooker

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bewbies posted:

does anyone have any strong opinions about the german wehrmacht's "Panther" tank? I understand that it was overall an excellent design.

It's actually pronounced "Panzer".

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

bewbies posted:

*becomes increasingly erect, eventually spontaneously ejaculating onto the wall and spelling out KRUPP STEEL*

ahem, yes, an excellent design

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

bewbies posted:

Conceptually really strong, had some significant issues with overly complex components (particularly the suspension) and a very poor engine that got improved over time but never totally fixed.

It also had middling performance in France but the bocage country imposes some weird conditions on tank warfare.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Conceptually really strong, had some significant issues with overly complex components (particularly the suspension) and a very poor engine that got improved over time but never totally fixed.

It also had middling performance in France but the bocage country imposes some weird conditions on tank warfare.

lol

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Comrade Gorbash posted:

lmao

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Welcome to the military history thread, let me tell you about a bear

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I stopped watching lindybeige after he started talking about how, actually, women weren't oppressed in history because kings would sometimes listen to their mistresses

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Lol

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Any of you actually have a constructive response or what?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Comrade Gorbash posted:

You're not wrong, you just walked into a thread in-joke.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

You're not wrong, you just walked into a thread in-joke.
I know it won't be funny when it's explained, but I'd like to walk back out of it maybe.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Well, the thing that jumped out at me most about the Panther in the Chieftain video was how horribly uncomfortable loading looked.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I just found out he's an Easter egg general in HOV IV, give a big boost to artillery troops. Now I kind of want to play a Poland game.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Comrade Gorbash posted:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I know it won't be funny when it's explained, but I'd like to walk back out of it maybe.

I'm sorry, but the standing order is "Not one step back!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Sorry, your final drive broke down and you're immobilized.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Sorry, your final drive broke down and you're immobilized.

Uhhh, I passed my bog roll though? Its like none of you even read the loving rules, I swear!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

You are being hazed new guy. Welcome to the thread.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Uhhh, I passed my bog roll though? Its like none of you even read the loving rules, I swear!

You didn't roll against production sabotage by slave laborers, dummy.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

That would've been the sub-assemblies for the chairs and armored cupola, not the final drive :smuggo:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SeanBeansShako posted:

You are being hazed new guy. Welcome to the thread.

great, now i feel bad about all of this :colbert:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Ah screw you guys. Besides who needs mobility when you can shoot clean through the other guy. :shepface:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The only escape is in a tank destroyer.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Did that bear drive a tank destroyer? (and if it didn't, could Sealion have been successful?! :byodame: )

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Rockopolis posted:

Well, the thing that jumped out at me most about the Panther in the Chieftain video was how horribly uncomfortable loading looked.

I just found out he's an Easter egg general in HOV IV, give a big boost to artillery troops. Now I kind of want to play a Poland game.

That's the thing that jumped out at you, and not the assistant driver balancing the machine gun on his head or the fact that the designers forgot drivers have legs?

gently caress! I got blocked out of sending a worker to buy manganese, now I take a penalty to all my armour factors :argh:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Did you know that US could have dropped food instead of nukes to make Japan surrender? :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

JcDent posted:

Did you know that US could have dropped food instead of nukes to make Japan surrender? :smuggo:
Only if they'd dropped the British rations.