Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk what that is. A friend of mine was playing and he got booted out and was just playing the mission like normal even though he left our game. Just one of the billion glitches in this game that makes it wonderful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Steve Yun posted:

I guess if the host quits, the game finds a new host amongst the remaining players? Just happened to me, lost all 3 teammates, game went brain dead for 30 seconds, resumed normal hostilities and I barely extracted by my lonesome. Had to make sure I didn’t leave my son fatherless

Not always. Normally if a host quits/disconnects another player gets assigned as host because they can call down an SOS beacon.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Finally got to try out the new pistol. Verdict: it's alright

It's basically a side-grade to the default pistol, and as a default pistol enjoyer (a group that, as far as I can tell, consists solely of me) it'll probably enter my rotation of secondary weapons (which currently consists mainly of the Peacemaker and Senator).

Oh, and for some idiotic reason it only gets 4 mags on a resupply and 2 from an ammo box (out of a total of 8). They really should have cooked this Warbond more, huh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
why even is it that ammo boxes/resupplies don't give like, 50%/100% across the board. why are they set to individualized values per weapon

psilo
Oct 18, 2009

Gorelab posted:

The plasma punisher was good before, but unweidly enough that it was generally hated.

I just bought the game a couple of days ago and wanted to get some cool gun to run around with, so I also bought the warbond with sickle. Then I googled if the plasma punisher is any good and it was hated a lot in several youtube videos + reddit. This games subreddit seems to be super whiny and contains very little useful information... anyways, I used some warbond credits to buy the plasma punisher and it's been my favourite weapon since, especially against the bots. So, what are the best places for up-to-date information regarding the game? Show me the spreadsheets!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Speaking of guns in Warbonds, the PLAS-101 Purifier (gun at the end of the latest Warbond) is possibly the worst gun in the game. Why yes, I'd love to do less damage per shot and have hideously low rate of fire compared to the Dominator with a gun that needs to charge each shot for a couple seconds before firing. The PLAS-1 Scorcher or any DMR also just clowns on this thing in every respect. In the end you have a gun that takes 3-5 *charged* weak point hits to kill a devastator or berserker, cannot fire rapidly to deal with groups of weaker enemies, cannot burst damage into beefier enemies, and doesn't have impressive armor pen or explosive splash radius to make up for all those downsides. They either never tested this thing or it was supposed to have pre-nerf Eruptor level splash that got broken.

They could double, possibly triple the damage on the Purifier and I feel I'd still have much better options.

The AR-61 Tenderizer is basically the Liberator but with less mag size and a slight improvement in handling. It's not terrible, but it does seem like a clearly inferior Liberator at the moment while even the description on the gun implies it should have higher damage.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 11, 2024

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I had some PSN store credit so I decided to buy some super credits, but because I am very smart I accidentally bought credits for Helldivers 1.

Thankfully Sony refunded this straight away. In future I'll purchase in-game instead of using the PSN store.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Just got out of a random match where someone decided to drop a cluster strike on top of the dropship as we were extracting, except I was bugged out and couldn't dive into the ship before it hit and died, and the super samples got left behind as a result.

Never a dull moment playing with random players, lmao

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

nightwisher posted:

drop a cluster strike on top of the dropship as we were extracting

I hate that "tradition" very much. However, it would go against the theme and practice of the game to prevent it. It would be funny if the pilot would not let a player who drops a stratagem near the dropship to get onboard, though.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Vehicles will require gas, initially full, that cannot be refuelled once depleted. Kinda like how you can't put more ammo into the mech. After that, vehicles basically become useless stationary turrets.

Also they will have very little armor, will get killed by hunters and 1 shot by chargers.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Vehicles will require gas, initially full, that cannot be refuelled once depleted. Kinda like how you can't put more ammo into the mech. After that, vehicles basically become useless stationary turrets.

Also they will have very little armor, will get killed by hunters and 1 shot by chargers.

I got to play around with the wheeled APC when somebody dropped it in. It was real bad and needs a lot of work before they put it in.

It steers like a boat with an extremely wide turn radius. This is the worst part because the maps are filled with obstructions this thing gets stuck on so you're constantly stopping to carefully navigate around poo poo and getting stuck trying to take it through tighter areas.
You need to change gears manually and it accelerates very poorly. War Thunder heavy tanks in realistic mode felt like agile gocarts compared to this thing.
Rocket bots and basically any tank weapon/charger attack obliterated it very fast, killing everyone inside.
It has a pair of light machineguns on the back which is fine, but nothing to deal with medium/heavy armor.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Warbadger posted:

I got to play around with the wheeled APC when somebody dropped it in. It was real bad and needs a lot of work before they put it in.

It steers like a boat with an extremely wide turn radius. This is the worst part because the maps are filled with obstructions this thing gets stuck on so you're constantly stopping to carefully navigate around poo poo and getting stuck trying to take it through tighter areas.
You need to change gears manually and it accelerates very poorly. War Thunder heavy tanks in realistic mode felt like agile gocarts compared to this thing.
Rocket bots and basically any tank weapon/charger attack obliterated it very fast, killing everyone inside.
It has a pair of light machineguns on the back which is fine, but nothing to deal with medium/heavy armor.

Plugs this in just to drive APC

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Helldivers x Nightrunners collab when.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Warbadger posted:

It also has an autocannon turret though? Extremely rapid fire one that has the same power as the Pelican or autocannon turret.

Also the "annihilated by rockets" is probably fixed by the rocket damage bug fix they pushed a while back. It definitely should get owned by tank cannons though.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

skaianDestiny posted:

It also has an autocannon turret though? Extremely rapid fire one that has the same power as the Pelican or autocannon turret.

Also the "annihilated by rockets" is probably fixed by the rocket damage bug fix they pushed a while back. It definitely should get owned by tank cannons though.

The one I drove around had no turret. There is probably going to be an IFV with a turret at some point, but nobody's dropped one into a mission for me yet.

A turret honestly wouldn't make much difference though until they make it accelerate and turn better. Hulk, tank, titan or charger's gonna end you and your passengers if you hit a speed bump the way it is now. Mobility is extra important for the metal boxes.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Bot level 9s are hard as hell compared to big level 9s. Granted we couldn't find a 4th for the mission. Quasar and personal shield really pulled their weight. The sheer amount of hulk spam is nuts. Weirdly the game didn't seem to drop that many tanks and we only had like 1 or 2 striders to deal with during the entire match. Just tons of hulks and heavy devastators. Running into side by side stratagem jammers by an objective cost us a ton of reinforcements. Somehow we managed to stop dying once reinforcements were on cooldown and barely managed to get out with all 6 super samples. I'm sure a 4th would've helped, especially with whatever fuckery is going on with patrol spawns. Did a level 7 afterwards and it felt downright sedate in comparison. The air burst launcher is a goddamn powerhouse as well and just rips through patrols up to beserkers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Honestly I think it'd be fun if vehicles had infinite health. It'd be so entertaining to have the team pile in and all scream as a massive horde of bugs swarm the thing, like a safari that goes bad or a limo driving through a riot. Or even if you don't get in it could be used as cover. Having it be Ol' Reliable even it handles like rear end and is slow as molasses would be charming, like the family station wagon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

dog nougat posted:

Bot level 9s are hard as hell compared to big level 9s. Granted we couldn't find a 4th for the mission. Quasar and personal shield really pulled their weight. The sheer amount of hulk spam is nuts. Weirdly the game didn't seem to drop that many tanks and we only had like 1 or 2 striders to deal with during the entire match. Just tons of hulks and heavy devastators. Running into side by side stratagem jammers by an objective cost us a ton of reinforcements. Somehow we managed to stop dying once reinforcements were on cooldown and barely managed to get out with all 6 super samples. I'm sure a 4th would've helped, especially with whatever fuckery is going on with patrol spawns. Did a level 7 afterwards and it felt downright sedate in comparison. The air burst launcher is a goddamn powerhouse as well and just rips through patrols up to beserkers.

Hell yeah brother that was a wild ride in those missions last night. Quasar was much better than the AC I initially took just for the shield trade-off but I dunno, is it "skill issue" or did they change the aim for the Quasar at some point? That thing has a lot more sway than I remember, even when prone. Taking out those tower turrets at a distance was tricky.

And you said we were lucky to not get many tanks but we were doubly lucky for the lack of gunships, too.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Lobok posted:

Honestly I think it'd be fun if vehicles had infinite health. It'd be so entertaining to have the team pile in and all scream as a massive horde of bugs swarm the thing, like a safari that goes bad or a limo driving through a riot. Or even if you don't get in it could be used as cover. Having it be Ol' Reliable even it handles like rear end and is slow as molasses would be charming, like the family station wagon.

I drove the APC all the time in Helldivers 1 and was pumped to get the party van here to zoom my team around the map. Was very disappointed with what I saw, but at least there's still time to fix it before they actually put them in.

^Use third person aim with the Quasar, it ironically seems to sway less than first person.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

psilo posted:

I just bought the game a couple of days ago and wanted to get some cool gun to run around with, so I also bought the warbond with sickle. Then I googled if the plasma punisher is any good and it was hated a lot in several youtube videos + reddit. This games subreddit seems to be super whiny and contains very little useful information... anyways, I used some warbond credits to buy the plasma punisher and it's been my favourite weapon since, especially against the bots. So, what are the best places for up-to-date information regarding the game? Show me the spreadsheets!

More than a little “hate it/love it” on weapons comes down to preference and feel. I don’t like the plasma punisher at all, and the quasars quirks always kind irritated me on bugs. The best thing to do with any weapon you want to try is to just dive with it a time or two and see if it works for you.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^Barring any kind of gun range mode or whatever, there's no shame in doing a solo Trivial round to try out weapons or Stratagems or even get a better handle on the control scheme.

Warbadger posted:

^Use third person aim with the Quasar, it ironically seems to sway less than first person.

I was getting that sense by the end of it, yeah. It feels like the difference between third and first is like suspending something by a short string vs. a long one. The longer the string the more amplified any small movements at the top become by the bottom.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 11, 2024

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

psilo posted:

So, what are the best places for up-to-date information regarding the game? Show me the spreadsheets!

I guess guns have 46 stats and they only show 4 "stats" that can be more misleading than helpful. This is part of the design, and I've found a lot of guns operate completely different than I anticipated from the description.

Long story long it's fairly subjective until people start hitting their personal skill ceilings with weapons. I've got a buddy who absolutely fries bots with the laser but I can't keep it on the weak spots and get frustrated

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i've gone back and forth a bit but i much prefer the ac over the quasar for bots now

it'll two shot a hulk to the face, can take out fabs, mortars and anti air from across the map, and you get enough ammo that you can basically run it as a primary against devastators

i honestly think bots and bugs are pretty similar in terms of difficulty but people in general just have a lot more experience against the bugs and have those strategies a bit more locked down

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
The turn radius thing is bad, but having to manually change gears sounds hilarious.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The turn radius thing is bad, but having to manually change gears sounds hilarious.

In practice it just means having to pause to reverse and taking even longer to accelerate. Also super unintuitive and hard to tell what's going on in the GUI - people who don't play spergy tank or car driving games dealing with manual transmissions aren't gonna know wtf is going on. But yeah, it's definitely not as big a problem as the turn radius.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

they should make you move the analog stick like you would a stick shift to change gears. basically what I'm saying is I want Helldrivers 2

boz
Oct 16, 2005

hey mom its 420 posted:

they should make you move the analog stick like you would a stick shift to change gears. basically what I'm saying is I want Helldrivers 2

I want a spinoff game where you are the crew that comes in and gathers up all the bot corpses to be remade into weapons and bug corpses to turn into fuel.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

boz posted:

I want a spinoff game where you are the crew that comes in and gathers up all the bot corpses to be remade into weapons and bug corpses to turn into fuel.

Viscera Cleanup Detail: Helldivers Edition

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-HHaF4c0KY

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 11, 2024

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

nexus6 posted:

e:

You gotta love youtuber rage bait about something that's likely a bug.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

skaianDestiny posted:

You gotta love youtuber rage bait about something that's likely a bug.

Sure hope it is

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Are ya raging, son?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

nexus6 posted:

e:

im not watching a 14 minute video, what is the tl;dr here? this is actually relevant to me because I solo a lot, but still.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i've gone back and forth a bit but i much prefer the ac over the quasar for bots now

it'll two shot a hulk to the face, can take out fabs, mortars and anti air from across the map, and you get enough ammo that you can basically run it as a primary against devastators

i honestly think bots and bugs are pretty similar in terms of difficulty but people in general just have a lot more experience against the bugs and have those strategies a bit more locked down

the thing about bots is once they have a critical mass and are aggroed you really cannot attack them without cover. you have to chuck some orbitals, retreat to cover, or give up and go do something else. and vs bugs you can almost always fight your way out.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I said come in! posted:

im not watching a 14 minute video, what is the tl;dr here? this is actually relevant to me because I solo a lot, but still.

When AH said they were raising the spawn rate for solo players from 1/6 of a full group to 1/4, they actually just removed the scaling entirely so everyone gets 100% of a full group's spawns now. Most of the video seems to be complaints about that change.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I said come in! posted:

Well the video he's quoting is saying that pre-patch a solo player would get a patrol every 4 minutes and 5 seconds, and now you get a patrol every 2:45 regardless of player count. Then he goes on to say poo poo like you get patrols every 12 seconds or something pulled out of his rear end, so I don't know what he's trying to say.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

The spawn change made it so for each cluster of players a patrol shows up every X seconds and there is no scaling of the time like there used to be. So for a four player group that’s together things are trivial compared to a solo player because they have four people to deal with the same amount of patrols. And this doesn’t quite match the description in the patch notes.

This is either unintended, in which case the devs are bad at their jobs or it’s intended but then the question is why did they bother to do this, mostly people don’t like it because it discourages playing with less than a group of four and they could have spent the time on something else.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

The spawn rates for playing solo, duo or trio are just the 4 player spawn rates i.e. there's no player-count-scaling

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bandire posted:

Then he goes on to say poo poo like you get patrols every 12 seconds or something pulled out of his rear end, so I don't know what he's trying to say.

The last bit (patrol every 18 sec or whatever) is what happens after you complete the primary mission.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Bandire posted:

Well the video he's quoting is saying that pre-patch a solo player would get a patrol every 4 minutes and 5 seconds, and now you get a patrol every 2:45 regardless of player count. Then he goes on to say poo poo like you get patrols every 12 seconds or something pulled out of his rear end, so I don't know what he's trying to say.

The 12 seconds is when all of the spawn multipliers have been stacked on top of it (max difficulty, primary objective already completed, and standing near the extraction site)

(I don't know whether his math is correct, but that's how he's getting that number)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

nexus6 posted:

e:

Please no one click on clickbait headlines or videos. gently caress people that do that. And gently caress the video above for doing it for clicks. rear end in a top hat headlines like this are a contributing reason communities go toxic and stay toxic. Don't be a part of the problem and give them views, please.

Arrowhead attempted to do a thing and wholesale hosed it up. They weren't trying to kill solo at all, they were trying to fix a bug in spawns with 1/2/3 players and instead accidentally eliminated any spawn scaling at all. They evel posted what the new spawns should be, and didn't test it at all, which kind seems to be a recurring theme, unfortunately.