Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
We don't even have an inventory system and sometimes I walk to the back just to get away from the customers (mostly I tell them "no you have to look for your own shoes" just to see the look on their face).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So since my COVID test came up negative I went back into work, happy I'm feeling better and not carrying the plague but frustrated I burnt nearly 30 hours of time off that won't be covered (and relived I had more than enough time to burn).

In AFE (multi-item packing) they installed big ol shower curtains between pack stations (basically the plastic flaps that hold cold air in walk in freezer doors). I can't imagine how annoying that must be to walk back and forth through to get your items.

Anyways in my department I spent the day training a new Smart Packer. Woo, fresh blood for the pack god! Since she already crushed it in Smalls I mostly just kinda watched and helped her deal with figuring out how to survive working with a machine that hated her while trying to not let on exactly how little actual work I was doing. Assistant Manager caught on and sent me to help another Ambassador train a new hire. See the guy came in a month ago, did one day, then disappeared. We assumed it was because they decided to look for greener pastures elsewhere. Nope, turned out it was medical.

I get there, his station is sopping wet, the ergo mat at his feet is soaked in water and he's packing super slow. I introduce myself and ask if I can help and he's all "Ya, no I'm just feeling really bad. I'm overheating and have a massive headache and am probably gonna talk to the manager soon."
"Well this sounds painfully familiar Uh, overheating?" *looks around at water*
"Yeah it's my medical condition. See I have no sweat glands."
"No...sweat..."
"Yeah it's-"
"No, no I believe you. Um, I'll go get the manager for you."

Turned around, got the boss and she went to check on the guy. Turned out he had actually poured his water on himself at the station to try to cool himself off. On site medical swept him up pretty fast. I somehow doubt he'll be back because a hot Amazon warehouse is not a safe place for someone who can't sweat to work. :gonk:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
My dog died the other day.

Called out of work as soon as the store opened. I ran forty-one hours on adrenaline, adderall and fumes. He died in my arms at the vet. I carried him home. I laid him in his bed. I said goodnight to my partner, whose company was, as always, a shining light at the end of a very long tunnel, and closed my eyes.

Work called at 7AM to tell me I had to come in. The department manager wasn't answering his phone. Everyone else called out.

I wasn't even mad. I leveled my voice like a gun, and dead-rear end said, "My dog died."

Nothing. Absolute silence.

I waited a little while, expecting I don't know what. An apology, condolences, something. A "you don't have to come in today". The teetering quiet felt a lot like when you call work to say you're sick as gently caress, but haven't yet announced you don't want to come in, and you're half-hoping, half-expecting to be told 'well of course you don't have to go in'.

"He went into an hour long seizure."

More dead air.

"His temperature was a hundred and nine when I got him to the vet. It fried his brain."

Nothing.

"They put him down while I held him."

I left it there and let stillness fill up the space between us. Then there was a sigh, followed by, "Okay,", and then I hung up.

Later, much later, she sent a text apology. This is a woman who owns pets, a woman who, when her father died, I stayed fifteen minutes late after work to think up something at least vaguely meaningful to put on the card circulating the store.

I'm too tired to be furious.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I’m so sorry. Really and truly. I hope you get some much needed rest and peace.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My dog died the other day.

Called out of work as soon as the store opened. I ran forty-one hours on adrenaline, adderall and fumes. He died in my arms at the vet. I carried him home. I laid him in his bed. I said goodnight to my partner, whose company was, as always, a shining light at the end of a very long tunnel, and closed my eyes.

Work called at 7AM to tell me I had to come in. The department manager wasn't answering his phone. Everyone else called out.

I wasn't even mad. I leveled my voice like a gun, and dead-rear end said, "My dog died."

Nothing. Absolute silence.

I waited a little while, expecting I don't know what. An apology, condolences, something. A "you don't have to come in today". The teetering quiet felt a lot like when you call work to say you're sick as gently caress, but haven't yet announced you don't want to come in, and you're half-hoping, half-expecting to be told 'well of course you don't have to go in'.

"He went into an hour long seizure."

More dead air.

"His temperature was a hundred and nine when I got him to the vet. It fried his brain."

Nothing.

"They put him down while I held him."

I left it there and let stillness fill up the space between us. Then there was a sigh, followed by, "Okay,", and then I hung up.

Later, much later, she sent a text apology. This is a woman who owns pets, a woman who, when her father died, I stayed fifteen minutes late after work to think up something at least vaguely meaningful to put on the card circulating the store.

I'm too tired to be furious.

sorry amigo. losing your friend sucks without also having to face the cruelest parts of the money making process.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If it's even the tiniest of help Nerdy, I can feel the absolute vitriol dripping from your post directed at whichever boss called you. Your writing is utterly superb, as many folk have already said ITT. You have my empathy, and second Penta. I wish you well dude. :smith:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nerdy, take the time you need. Corporate can go get hosed.

Anyways, the maintenance guys tried giving me poo poo about some of the people I trained in Smartpac were screwing up. I was all "It's a complex machine that actively despises you, it takes time to get used to it. Some fuckups are expected." They kept at it, sharing (admittedly amusing) stories of how my packers are screwing up and it was all fun and good until they started saying they had seen the worst, dumbest poo poo people had done, that no one else saw Amazon workers at their dumbest. At which point I sighed and unsheathed my katana dug deep into my trauma.

Me: "You get them after they've packed for a while, after they've gotten used to Amazon. You get the ones who aren't weeded out in the first week. I'm a loving Ambassador: I see them when they're brand spanking new. I've seen all the ways they screw up building boxes"

Maintenance contractor: "Building boxes? You're making GBS threads me."

Me: "My personal favorite, that I have seen often enough to name is the 'Suspension Bridge'."

MC: "The...what?"

Me: "It's when they slap a piece of tape on the box but the outer flaps are still open, so the tape is suspended across the open air between the small flaps while the items inside rattle around and try to fall out."
(Spoiled in case anyone wants to try to figure it out on their own)

MC: "You're loving making that up."

Me: "I've seen it multiple times a night, multiple nights. In fact every time I do a group of day ones I have better than even odds of seeing it. The poo poo you see is pretty dumb and bad, yes, but my job is to literally wade into a sea of stupid and set it right without breaking down and swearing at them. Hey remember that time someone on day shift slapped a shipping label on a tub of carpet glue and sent it down as a SIOC and your department had to dig that mess out of the machinery? For every stupid item you see on the collector belt I intercept at least 10 before they go down. I've seen them try to SIOC loving lamps wrapped in bubblewrap. Or coffee pots that are shipped sans boxes to try to save on packing materials. Or bags of marbles."

MC: "But...but...how? Why?" He mumbled, his spirit utterly broken.

Moral of the story: You've seen some stupid poo poo but don't try to out stupid the guy who trains new hires. I shared the story with a few co-workers in the smoke pit after work and it felt great when the other pack ambassador there cracked up the moment I mentioned the "Suspension Bridge" because she knew exactly what I was talking about.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

can you please post a picture, mspaint or otherwise, of the suspension bridge, because i build boxes everyday in a warehouse, and i cannot for the life of me visualize what is happening here

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Takoluka posted:

can you please post a picture, mspaint or otherwise, of the suspension bridge, because i build boxes everyday in a warehouse, and i cannot for the life of me visualize what is happening here

I put more effort into drawing this than my packers do making it. :v:

To be fair, Lord Awkward, yours is so much better drawn. And you even got the tape the right direction, not all packers do! I've yet to see that mixed with a Suspension Bridge. Yet. :suicide:

I think my favorite one of all times (I mean the one that caused me the most physical pain) was an ion hazmat label on top, under the tape. Just slapped on the side? Yeah the training program doesn't tell you where on the side it goes. On the front? Yeah, sure, I guess that's a side? On the top? Uh... On the top, covered by a strip of tape...why would you cover a HAZMAT label with tape!?

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 13, 2020

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Sounds like it's this:

e. too slow

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

oh my god why

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Takoluka posted:

oh my god why

Yup, turned out the reason you couldn't visualize it was because your brain couldn't comprehend the amount of stupid new hires can produce. A mixture of anxiety, confusion, information overload and probably not helped by them getting used to working the graveyard shift.

There's a reason my motto these days is "It only takes 3 brain cells to walk in the door."

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Yup, turned out the reason you couldn't visualize it was because your brain couldn't comprehend the amount of stupid new hires can produce. A mixture of anxiety, confusion, information overload and probably not helped by them getting used to working the graveyard shift.

There's a reason my motto these days is "It only takes 3 brain cells to walk in the door."

Sounds like you need to get a more complicated door. Justify it as an engineering quality control.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

New York's hottest club is the Fulfillment Center. Located in the middle of a quarantine zone, this place has everything. Lamps wrapped in bubblewrap. Naked coffee pots. Bags of marbles. A suspension bridge.

Takoluka posted:

What's a suspension bridge, Stefon?

You know, it's that thing, where you have a big cardboard box, and packing tape, and two strippers stretch it across the small flaps, so the tape is hovering in the middle?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm so sorry about your friend, Nerdy :smith:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Nerdy- sorry about your dog. It's tough poo poo to go through. :(

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I did an arrival scan on an Amazon parcel that had the tape where it would normally go, but no glue to actually seal it. So of course us government leeches mail clerks have to mark it as damaged and unsealed just in case something fell out. We're also getting containers from Amazon where all the heavy poo poo is on top instead of being packed on their own pallet. We also get pallets with heavy parcels on it at the same time, but they're just being dumped on top of the containers too. I'm six feet tall and the top of the container is at eye level to me, but trying to pull these heavy packages is such a loving slog.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Condolences, Nerdy. There's nothing like that feeling, and no employer will give a poo poo.

I still remember a girl I worked with, whose grandfather died, and when she needed the time off, the owner told her that people die every day, and he really really needed her in that Saturday for our rush.

Amazon goons, is it true some of your drivers are getting the axe? With all the USPS poo poo going on right now, I am so loving glad I didn't go for that spot.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cowslips Warren posted:

Amazon goons, is it true some of your drivers are getting the axe? With all the USPS poo poo going on right now, I am so loving glad I didn't go for that spot.

Weren't you trying to apply for a rural carrier assistant job? They have so much trouble filling in those openings because no one wants to just work one or two days a week. I wouldn't be surprised if most people that are RCAs are just retired people that don't mind working only on Saturdays.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Star Man posted:

I did an arrival scan on an Amazon parcel that had the tape where it would normally go, but no glue to actually seal it. So of course us government leeches mail clerks have to mark it as damaged and unsealed just in case something fell out. We're also getting containers from Amazon where all the heavy poo poo is on top instead of being packed on their own pallet. We also get pallets with heavy parcels on it at the same time, but they're just being dumped on top of the containers too. I'm six feet tall and the top of the container is at eye level to me, but trying to pull these heavy packages is such a loving slog.

Chances are the tape was just dry. Teaching people to check their loving water tank another bane of my existence because the heater will make the tape's glue just sticky enough to hold for anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes then start peeling off until it's held on only by children's dreams. If you had a spray bottle (or, if you're disgusting, hawk a loogie on it) the tape will get wet enough to properly seal.

Actually, just about anything with the tape machine is the bane of my existence. It's a machine full of water and glue-soaked reinforced paper. It exists to jam and it hates you. Finding a tape machine that someone left a jammed piece of paper just soaking up water from the sponge is one of the fastest ways for my normally polite and cheerful demeanor to become an endless dark rant about justifiable homicide. Often in front of a brand new worker who's watching me clean and fix their machine. :v:

As for the loading stuff, I really don't do much on the dock these days so can't offer words on that.

Cowslips Warren posted:

No clue. At the beginning of the pandemic we had a few new hires who were Amazon drivers, basically hopping from one arm of Amazon to another when the contractor they were working for shut down (Amazon Last Mile is kinda...skeevy) but the company as a whole is doing absolutely bonkers right now.

Anyways, re-upping the "Be well, Nerdy", can't say it enough.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

This week has been poo poo. Broke a monitor on Tuesday night, then had the laminator jam. That was the GOOD shift.

Today, half an hour before work, I got a call from my aunt Linda in Alabama (for those not keeping track, I live in Massachusetts) . From her cell phone. She NEVER calls me from her cell.

My grandmother had a stroke.

She passed away at 5:35pm CDT.

I somehow managed to finish my shift, despite being offered, twice, to go home early. Because if I knew if I did go home early, I would be alone and end up drinking myself into a coma.

I am alone, but I am sober as a judge because everything hit me once I got home.

I will not be going to work on Saturday.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Kilonum posted:

This week has been poo poo. Broke a monitor on Tuesday night, then had the laminator jam. That was the GOOD shift.

Today, half an hour before work, I got a call from my aunt Linda in Alabama (for those not keeping track, I live in Massachusetts) . From her cell phone. She NEVER calls me from her cell.

I somehow managed to finish my shift, despite being offered, twice, to go home early. Because if I knew if I did go home early, I would be alone and end up drinking myself into a coma.

I am alone, but I am sober as a judge because everything hit me once I got home.

i’m sorry for your loss, friend.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Kilonum posted:

Condolences. Hope you come out the other end of your grief in one piece. poo poo sucks.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

oh wow they gave us two whole days to prepare for our new store hours instead of like 10!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I appreciate you taking the time to draw the smiling arrow.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I still remember a girl I worked with, whose grandfather died, and when she needed the time off, the owner told her that people die every day, and he really really needed her in that Saturday for our rush.

No jury in the world would convict.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funktastic posted:

oh wow they gave us two whole days to prepare for our new store hours instead of like 10!

Oh god what now. I loved us closing at 8.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Volmarias posted:

How else would you know that I am a veteran and learning else ambassador if the box wasn't properly right side up? :smug:

Oh my god I will you goobers please pay attention and build/place your boxes right side up and not throw them on the line all caddywhompus!? Yes we know the printer is screaming constantly and it's getting annoying. Why is it screaming constantly? Because the kickout chute is full of your upside-down boxes! :smithicide:

Funktastic posted:

Let's be honest: management thinks they should be thanked for even warning you ahead of time.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

No jury in the world would convict.

How does that meme go....

Your funeral. People are sobbing, the pastor is reading off some psalms of comfort, and your manager walks up to your casket, tearfully touching it, as he says, "How can you do this, we are so short staffed today!"

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Good news, I'm getting tomorrow off with pay, and it doesn't cut into my sick time or PTO.

We get 3 days worth of "Bereavement time" per year.

I have worked for this company for 4 years and just today learned about this policy.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Companies may offer you benefits, but they would like you use them as little as possible. Especially anything involving time off.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
My isolation ends a week from now...

What if I just didn’t go back

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pentaghastly posted:

My isolation ends a week from now...

What if I just didn’t go back

You would find another job eventually and likely be happier is probably what would happen. It might be tough financially in the meantime and our economy is heading for tough times but it sound like your job sucks donkey balls so if it were me I might try going to college or something. If you already have a degree try grad school and see if you can get a fellowship with a stipend.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

my loving ASM today...

he was bringing everyone up to the manager's office, two at a time, to inform us that there was a second confirmed covid case in our store. he said a lot of dumb poo poo, but my favorites were:

"we've only had two cases! one store had forty, so we're not even doing that bad!"

"masks are only to keep people from touching their face."

"if a customer is wearing their mask wrong, let me know and i'll take care of it. i don't want any confrontation and i'm not paid to throw people out though so..."

everyone is angry and scared now. gently caress this place.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Somewhere on earth there is an ASM who is competent and smart. There has to be, right? Right??

My condolences Kilonum. poo poo sucks and bereavement is never easy.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
We're about to hit inventory and the freezer is hosed and people been calling out and I swear to God if people call out on inventory I am still leaving at my appointed time. I'm beyond not giving a gently caress.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

therobit posted:

You would find another job eventually and likely be happier is probably what would happen. It might be tough financially in the meantime and our economy is heading for tough times but it sound like your job sucks donkey balls so if it were me I might try going to college or something. If you already have a degree try grad school and see if you can get a fellowship with a stipend.

Thought about going back to school! I went to college for a year but dropped out (1.6 GPA whaddup) due to some mental health issues and my mom actively dying. Still paying student loans for it bc I’m a dumbass who went to a private college.

The plumbing company didn’t call back, which is fine.

But I have an in-person interview next week for a doggy daycare and I don’t know how much it pays but it’s literally full-time supervising dogs playing and caring for them and oh my god I don’t care how much it pays I actually really want that job. I can get short term insurance to cover my meds for a bit.

They also do grooming there which might give me some experience doing that. I have thought about being a groomer. Just any experience with animals could help me get a job at a vets office or something like that.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm beyond not giving a gently caress.
So this is the power of Retail Instinct.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Yawgmoth posted:

So this is the power of Retail Instinct.

oh poo poo

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Wilekat posted:

Somewhere on earth there is an ASM who is competent and smart. There has to be, right? Right??

My condolences Kilonum. poo poo sucks and bereavement is never easy.

my old asm was pretty cool.

so of course they took him and gave him his own store lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Wilekat posted:

lol, no. The job pays so poorly for the mountains of bullshit an ASM has to deal with that no competent and smart person will ever put up with it.