Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Today's amazing physics moment brought to by Bethesda!

Sniped a bandit standing waaaaay up on that railing marked with the red arrow. They flew up in the air, smashed off the wall above them and tumbled through the air to crash land literally at my feet. I had to back up to get both the body and railing in shot.

Long distance sniping seems to do wacky physics poo poo, but this is one of the funniest Bethesda moments I've personally seen in my own play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

I also love how weird it is to have the husband do the opening narration for the game in lieu of Ron Perlman for the very first time in the series' history, only to have him get shot in the face ten minutes into the game if you play as a woman, rendering the whole thing completely pointless.

Yeah, that's an annoying oversight. On the other hand I do like how the ominous speech is something he's prepping for later in the day.

Apparently Mrs. 111 is a lawyer, or at least has a law degree, according to her diploma.

Looks like Lifegiver Rank 3 is available pretty early into the game, how fast does it regenerate your health? Because health regen is a pretty important thing in a game where you're constantly trying to devour stuff to keep from dying.

AuntJemima
Jul 22, 2007
Anyone have advice for a Melee build? Been playing around with the build calculator. Assuming I should skip any gun/ammo related ones. But how feasible will mostly melee be..?

Heres a quick mock up of what I did:
http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=5f11785534!1144!!25!!943!1144!49633

Is there anything like implants or quest rewards to increase a SPECIAL stat or is that only through levels now?

I did only melee for a bit in New Vegas and I remember it being really fun.

Thanks for any advice!

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Speedball posted:

Yeah, that's an annoying oversight. On the other hand I do like how the ominous speech is something he's prepping for later in the day.

Apparently Mrs. 111 is a lawyer, or at least has a law degree, according to her diploma.

Looks like Lifegiver Rank 3 is available pretty early into the game, how fast does it regenerate your health? Because health regen is a pretty important thing in a game where you're constantly trying to devour stuff to keep from dying.

how do you get a law degree with 1 INT

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's a bobblehead for each SPECIAL stat, plus magazines you can find lying around that enhance melee in various ways (in your home you can find one issue of Grognak the Barbarian, apparently you can collect a whole set).

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Anyone else constantly running out of adhesive for armor/gun modding? I can't find enough wonderglue and duct tape to suit my needs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

If you're going to invest in VATS really heavily right off the bat you could probably make do without power armor pretty easily, but stomping around like a huge retard shooting lasers is the whole appeal of the science tree to me. So yeah, you'll probably be fine then.

On the other hand, high intelligence is what gets you the quick level rate and lets you push the soft cap out as far as you can.

Aw man, now this is a very tough choice. On the one hand, doing crazy VATS poo poo sounds pretty legit. On the other, well, so does stomping around in power armor with a laser cannon.

Are there heavy and automatic energy weapons that are worth using? I picked Gunslinger and Rifleman because I figured most of the cool energy weapons will fall into one of those two categories, but I could be convinced to invest in other weapon types too.

EDIT: Oh, one more question. Are there energy weapon mods that require Gun Nut, or do they all require Science?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Crappy Jack posted:

I also love how weird it is to have the husband do the opening narration for the game in lieu of Ron Perlman for the very first time in the series' history, only to have him get shot in the face ten minutes into the game if you play as a woman, rendering the whole thing completely pointless.

And since I customized the female character-- who's that random white lady my husband had a photo of???????

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Starkk posted:

Anyone else constantly running out of adhesive for armor/gun modding? I can't find enough wonderglue and duct tape to suit my needs.

It definitely seems to be a rarer resource. I have found a decent amount of duct tape though. Not much in the way of glue.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowMar posted:

how do you get a law degree with 1 INT

bribery

actually the diploma is just in the house at the beginning, I'm not sure if it specifies whether it belongs to you or your spouse even when you inspect it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Aw man, now this is a very tough choice. On the one hand, doing crazy VATS poo poo sounds pretty legit. On the other, well, so does stomping around in power armor with a laser cannon.

Are there heavy and automatic energy weapons that are worth using? I picked Gunslinger and Rifleman because I figured most of the cool energy weapons will fall into one of those two categories, but I could be convinced to invest in other weapon types too.

EDIT: Oh, one more question. Are there energy weapon mods that require Gun Nut, or do they all require Science?

Just put all your points into INT, then with the extra levels you'll get you can put more points into the other stats. :science:

You can't lose!

Empress Theonora posted:

And since I customized the female character-- who's that random white lady my husband had a photo of???????

Hahahaha seriously? Nice one Bethesda.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Starkk posted:

I've found plenty in old military installations so far. There was a satellite base not far from Sanctuary that had a good amount of it.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

This laser rifle takes up way too much screen real estate and I do not like it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So far the game runs really nicely, seems pretty good! Besides the heterosexual only thing the intro is fine, too.

quote:

Hahahaha seriously? Nice one Bethesda.

lol

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Empress Theonora posted:

I think that picture was meant to be Great-Great-Grandad's wife in the WW2 era.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well, all right then. My build's gonna look like this before bobbleheads (counting the You're SPECIAL book):

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=7e.3.3.5.8.5.3

Obviously the Perception bobblehead is super early because I'm definitely taking Locksmith ASAP :v: And I feel safe starting with Intelligence 8 because I won't need Nuclear Physicist right away.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 10, 2015

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I was exploring some half flooded town on the river and met a dude named Gene who wouldn't talk to me but we were killing a bunch of ghouls together. Unfortunately I accidentally shot his dog and now he and his dog are both very mad at me so I left town. Did I screw up something important for later?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Empress Theonora posted:

They missed a major opportunity to use the same stock picture used in Mass Effect 3 for Tali.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Where does Dogmeat go after he's dismissed?
He's chilling in one of the doghouses in Sanctuary. It may have taken me quite a long time to notice that. :downs:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
How in the gently caress did bethesda decide to include like 50% of the same radio songs from previous games.

Do they not know we have listened to them for hundreds of hours already? I mean, I like the songs but I have had enough. Thank goodness there are some new songs at least...

p.s. i want u in muh wig wam

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Nevets posted:

Not very far into the game, but it didn't make any sense that baldy baby burglar would wake you up just to taunt you and let you watch your spouse die. If you slept through it, the whole scene could have been shown through a grainy security camera log on a holotape after you wake up. Although I guess then you would know how long ago it occurred, which I'm guessing is going to be a plot twist later on.

There's also the fact that you live when the cryro support systems fail despite everyone else dying, and also the pod opening when none of the others do.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

This trader is just a guy who likes cats, I guess. He has four of them, and several pictures like this in his little shack as well. GOAT.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Hit my first roadblock doing the first Minutemen mission. There are a lot more Raiders in this factory than I realized!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

BETHESDA SCRIPTING BEST SCRIPTING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKDbrIUrxrM

haha, yeah!

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

Damo posted:

How in the gently caress did bethesda decide to include like 50% of the same radio songs from previous games.

Do they not know we have listened to them for hundreds of hours already? I mean, I like the songs but I have had enough. Thank goodness there are some new songs at least...

all the good records got blown up sorry

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Mister Adequate posted:

This trader is just a guy who likes cats, I guess. He has four of them, and several pictures like this in his little shack as well. GOAT.

Once we get a Jaxonz renamer type mod I'm gonna change his name to Bubbles.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Harrow posted:

Well, all right then. My build's gonna look like this before bobbleheads (counting the You're SPECIAL book):

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=7e.3.3.5.8.5.3

Obviously the Perception bobblehead is super early because I'm definitely taking Locksmith ASAP :v: And I feel safe starting with Intelligence 8 because I won't need Nuclear Physicist right away.

I like that but I get the feeling you'd like Strength 3 like knowing you can get the Per bobble early I like this:

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=7f.3.3.4.5.7.3.3

Cause I also like round numbers on my health and Chem Resistance + Chemist can lead to you becoming Mister Hyde for Psycho damage bonus's all the time.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 10, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

I like that but I get the feeling you'd like Strength 3

Oh drat, you're probably right. I'm assuming Armorer also gives me power armor mods.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Sajeezzar posted:

Ultra graphics. When I load the game it looks good for a while and then stops loading textures. Everything is like that and I've set textures to Ultra and the fade settings to the highest level and they still don't load.

Hm, not seeing what the problem is here. From what I understand the bugs make the game more charming.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Son of Rodney posted:

BETHESDA SCRIPTING BEST SCRIPTING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKDbrIUrxrM

haha, yeah!

I un-ironically want 'haha, yeah' guy to be my companion.

Just laugh at everything I do to people like Nelson.

*shoots random stranger in the chest, steals his money*

"Haha, yeah!"

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Vargs posted:

This laser rifle takes up way too much screen real estate and I do not like it.

lmao

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Brought the game, risking launch day bugs. What's a good build if I want to shoot guns and modify the crap out of them?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

in case you're wondering why that trading stand you built doesn't work, you need to assign someone to it first

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Earwicker posted:

I was exploring some half flooded town on the river and met a dude named Gene who wouldn't talk to me but we were killing a bunch of ghouls together. Unfortunately I accidentally shot his dog and now he and his dog are both very mad at me so I left town. Did I screw up something important for later?
Open the console, click the NPC and type "stopcombat".

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
OK, I have a horrible confession to make. I never grew out of the arrow-key controls that I learned as a child of the mid-90s. Meaning I use arrow keys for movement, num-0 for jump, shift for sprint, etc. This scheme has served me well for nigh on 20 years and I've never been able to adapt to WASD. Now, the rub: Num-0 is a reserved button that cannot be remapped. Someone please tell me there's a way around this awful limitation. I literally cannot jump and that's a non-starter obviously :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

Brought the game, risking launch day bugs. What's a good build if I want to shoot guns and modify the crap out of them?

Put the difficulty on normal and pick whatever perks you want without worrying about it too much :thumbsup:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, this game really isn't very well made. It's kinda fun and charming in it's own way, but the bad writing, unintuitive settlement mechanics, and general glitchiness pretty much ensures that I won't be recommending this to anyone just yet.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So now that I have played my obligatory couple of hours to understand a bit more of how the game works, I am starting over with that knowledge so I can better plan out my beginning stat distribution. Just wondering what others are striving for or have found to be really useful? I would like to take this game on on survival, unless it just makes the game too dumbly hard and everything is just bullet sponges.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So now that I have played my obligatory couple of hours to understand a bit more of how the game works, I am starting over with that knowledge so I can better plan out my beginning stat distribution. Just wondering what others are striving for or have found to be really useful?

This is what I used on my first rebuild:

Concept: "Mr Automatics and Grenades"

STR 3
PER 4 (go to 5 later for demolition expert - perception bobblehead you find early on will do this)
END 1
CHA 8
INT 4
AGI 7
LCK 1 (go to 2 later for scrounger - SPECIAL book you find in your house can be used for this)

So I could take these perks:

Strength perks:

Armorer (3)

Perception perks:

Locksmith (4)
Demolition Expert (5)

Charisma perks:

Local Leader (6)
Inspirational (8)

Intelligence perks:

Medic (2)
Gun Nut (3)
Hacker (4)

Agility perks:

Commando (2)
Sneak (3)
Mister Sandman (4)
Ninja (7)

-----

Having played a fair bit, he's pretty fragile due to the 1 END, and I haven't made as much use of the agility perks beyond Commando so far, so you could probably dump down AGI some (perhaps to 3?) and use it to buff up END instead.

Gort fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Damo posted:

p.s. i want u in muh wig wam

Yeah it is really bizarre, theres the classical station too at least.

• Locked thread