Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

GotLag posted:

...the gently caress?

Hello, I handle large-loss auto insurance claims. Think single car plowing through a building, or dozens of parked cars. Here's my take on it.

1. Is on course to leave parking garage, and decides to pull over and stop in a narrow aisle because China.
2. Instead of putting it in Park, stops the selector just short and puts it in Reverse.
3. Gets out to do ... whatever.
4. Sees car rolling back in, panics, dives back into car. At this point, her brain is not operating on what's going on in the here-and now. It's operating in monkey on fire! mode.
5. In panic to go forward, fast, and get away from the embarassing loss of face. hits gas to get the hell out of there. In panic still, does not change gears. Floors it.
6. Rams car behind. Original face-loss panic now compounded by more face-loss panic, and an overwhelming urge to get away from the car behind her. Operating on 'muscle memory', she puts in in Drive, and floors it again.
7. I'm moving away from the shame! But brain is still not really engaged - it's panic-locked on what just happened.
8. A wall.

And here are my presumptions about after, since all I Know About China, I Learned From This Thread.
[9. Authorities arrive. Driver behind scolds her tremendously, but to save face, all agree the car was defective.]
[10. All parties, including parents and other relatives of the driver involved scold the dealership that sold the car for selling a dangerous car. Relentlessly. Endlessly. Face loss is effectively transferred to a non-involved party.]
[11. A new car is purchased that is safe. This is never actually confirmed by anyone. No driving lessons are taken as the car was the problem, and stopping to practice or educate oneself would lead to a loss of face].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

TsarZiedonis posted:

It's a country where everyone grew up without a car culture and pervasive images of driving in media, but now suddenly have the wealth to afford cars. For whatever reason, this means a lot of people there instinctively hit the gas when they're panicked instead of the brakes.

My girlfriend does dumb poo poo like this in her car, but at least she panic slams the brakes!

LentThem posted:

i get off super hard to chinese traffic accidents because almost everyone on a scooter/e-bike and some people in cars act like myotonic goats. If a collision is coming they immediately splay out and this makes them fall on the ground (subsequently flattened) or floor the accelerator and fly out of control into a wall or ditch

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I imagine there are a lot more cars in China now than there were 8 years ago so its probably even worse now, but back then i just figured it was like a country full of a billion 16 year olds driving for the very first time.

Eventually I realized that was correct, but that it was a billion 16 year old student drivers with a lifelong commitment to 'face culture' and they all love to drink.

China must suck now without pervasive motorbike taxis. A lot of those motalo guys were old men, the older the better in my opinion, they'd been driving motorbikes a long long time and knew what they were doing.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
And a lot of them loving didn't.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

Live in China long enough and you'll suffer enough liver damage to acquire the yellow complexion.

I think it was this thread or one of the previous chinar threads that said liver flukes were incredibly common in asia in the early days of western exploration, so a lot of people they met had some degree of liver damage and looked yellow.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

The Big Word posted:

"the cigarette smoke got on my nerves" says the person who decided to go to kl

Just a layover at KL airport didn't spend any time in KL proper. Anyway, I can't imagine smoking would be worse in KL than anywhere in China?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

hakimashou posted:

China must suck now without pervasive motorbike taxis. A lot of those motalo guys were old men, the older the better in my opinion, they'd been driving motorbikes a long long time and knew what they were doing.

In my experience, those older motorcycle couriers/taxis (NOT the kuaidi's on the scooters) are the biggest assholes in traffic, just ahead of bus drivers, and blue-truck drivers. I'm glad they're going away.

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

No driving lessons are taken as the car was the problem, and stopping to practice or educate oneself would lead to a loss of face].

Yeah this. I had a friend working for AMG, the performance department of Mercedes-Benz, in Shanghai. I asked him about advanced driving courses which Mercedes AMG offers in many countries world wide. You know, since when you buy a 600hp car which is notoriously difficult to handle it could be a good idea to know how to properly drive it. Of course he told me that they don't offer it in China as it would be seen as an insult to their customers, to imply that they're not perfect and amazing drivers after buying their drivers licence from a stall at Shijiazhuang railway station.

Not only this, but the whole view of driving is so incredibly stupid. I had one Chinese woman telling me how amazing driver she is, because she could talk on her phone, take photos [with her other phone] and scold her kid all at the same time while driving down the highway. I told her that a good driver should focus on driving and not on everything else and she just gave me a blank state.

Note that Chinese men LOVE to talk about how horrible women drivers are, which is funny since in my experience male drivers in China are generally even worse.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

fish and chips and dip posted:

In my experience, those older motorcycle couriers/taxis (NOT the kuaidi's on the scooters) are the biggest assholes in traffic, just ahead of bus drivers, and blue-truck drivers. I'm glad they're going away.

Are you talking about the guys in the things that are basically enclosed motorized stainless-steel tricycles, with enough room for one or two people to squeeze into the back? One of the few good things about the explosion of bike sharing is that it seems to have forced most of them out of business. I used to see always 3-4 of them camped out outside of subway exits waiting for customers, but now I hardly seem them any more.

I would definitely say hands down those guys are/were the biggest assholes, as they would think nothing at all of running down a pedestrian crossing the street while going the wrong way in the bike lane if it meant shaving 0.5 seconds off the time it takes for them to make another 3-kuai return trip. I would say I had as many close calls with them as everything else combined, which is amazing considering there's comparatively few of them on the roads.

One of the funniest things I've seen in China was one time when one of the trike guys must have pissed off the rest of the old-guy tricycle mafia, and they managed to surround and corner him in the middle of an intersection. Four of them got on one side and pushed it over - there was a glorious 5-10 seconds where it was stuck in the air at a 45-degree angle with the tire spinning furiously as the guy inside panic-stomped the gas before it finally flopped over on its side with a huge THUD. Then the guys all ran back to their trikes and took off leaving him capsized in the middle of a bunch of honking cars.

That said I would still launch every single last one of them into the sun with a cannon if I had an adequate cannon.

EDIT: These motherfuckers right here.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 3, 2017

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Known Lecher posted:

Are you talking about the guys in the things that are basically enclosed motorized stainless-steel tricycles, with enough room for one or two people to squeeze into the back? One of the few good things about the explosion of bike sharing is that it seems to have forced most of them out of business. I used to see always 3-4 of them camped out outside of subway exits waiting for customers, but now I hardly seem them any more.

I would definitely say hands down those guys are/were the biggest assholes, as they would think nothing at all of running down a pedestrian crossing the street while going the wrong way in the bike lane if it meant shaving 0.5 seconds off the time it takes for them to make another 3-kuai return trip. I would say I had as many close calls with them as everything else combined, which is amazing considering there's comparatively few of them on the roads.

One of the funniest things I've seen in China was one time when one of the trike guys must have pissed off the rest of the old-guy tricycle mafia, and they managed to surround and corner him in the middle of an intersection. Four of them got on one side and pushed it over - there was a glorious 5-10 seconds where it was stuck in the air at a 45-degree angle with the tire spinning furiously as the guy inside panic-stomped the gas before it finally flopped over on its side with a huge THUD. Then the guys all ran back to their trikes and took off leaving him capsized in the middle of a bunch of honking cars.

That said I would still launch every single last one of them into the sun with a cannon if I had an adequate cannon.

Oh yes, I forgot about those assholes, and how could I? But I was talking about actual middle aged dudes on "proper" motorcycles. At least scooters and enclosed aren't that fast. The motorcycle guys would just blast at full speed anywhere and everywhere, I had more close calls with motorcycles than anyone else in traffic in China since they're so fast (what's red light?) and difficult to spot.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Ya a proper motorcycle taxi is just a dude on a red haojue motorcycle and you get on behind him and he drives you wherever.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Known Lecher posted:

https://www.nature.com/news/china-to-roll-back-regulations-for-traditional-medicine-despite-safety-concerns-1.23038

Good news, China goons! The government is doing its best to provide a bright future for you wherein when you get sick and go to the hospital, you can 1.) be seen by a TCM :airquote:doctor:airquote: who has only passed a :airquote:skills test:airquote: who then 2.) prescribes you :airquote:medicine:airquote: that has undergone zero clinical trials, and 3.)likely contains an ingredient that causes cancer and/or damages your kidneys. But you won't know because 4.) discussion of that is censored, of course!

:china:

I think China is purposefully trying to make a safety-less nation full of people-killing hazards to rein in the older adult populations by literally killing them off. It would balance out the populations and it's not like China is hurting for people.

Like the European Bubonic Plague outbreak, leading to the Renaissance, but highly artificial in the making and modern.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What would a Chinese Renaissance be like?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What would a Chinese Renaissance be like?

Considering how fond of the classics Xi Jinping is (or claims to be), we might very well be in the Chinese renaissance. :smith:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Known Lecher posted:

I was riding in a bike lane one day in Beijing, and to be fair, was not paying a lot of attention where I was going. One of those jerks comes toward me going the wrong way. I notice him at the last possible oh-poo poo moment, and move a little to the right. I hear the end of my handlebar scrape the side of his cage. Did not lose it. FFFFUUUUUCK

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i love that there are helpful arrows, lines, and words on the ground on so many roads, sidewalks, and public transport areas, and 90% of people never ever look at them or process them. Both in vehicles and on foot.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
My brother in law is the worst I've ever seen about that. Suddenly realizes he's gotta go the other direction? U-turn across three lanes.

Wait, I don't want to make this left! Straight back into the forward lane from the middle of the intersection, other traffic be damned.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Anyone else have friends or relatives whose idea of China is stuck in about 1975?

I find it difficult to talk to Americans about anything to do with China, particularly people like my dad. Any time I contradict their cold-war bullshit, I'm defending China, and must be some kind of communist; when they've got poo poo completely backwards. People who haven't been to China have no idea how to hate China properly.

And my (probably Trump-voting) dad gloating about Chinese internet censorship while sitting in the US under the shadow of the impending end of Net Neutrality was loving precious.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Just a layover at KL airport didn't spend any time in KL proper. Anyway, I can't imagine smoking would be worse in KL than anywhere in China?
I've never been to mainland china so I can't say but malaysians are pretty amazingly bad about obeying no smoking signs. Couple places nearby I go to dry my laundry always got at least one guy sitting around chaining poo poo grey market brands like double happiness and zon king. Taxes have gone up to the point where a pack of legit cigs is nearly twice as much as it was five years ago so you'd think it'd be on the way down but in practice it just means more people are smoking that eye-searing chinese/indonesian garbage instead.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Smoking in front of no smoking signs is kind of a national sport in China.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

Anyone else have friends or relatives whose idea of China is stuck in about 1975?

I find it difficult to talk to Americans about anything to do with China, particularly people like my dad. Any time I contradict their cold-war bullshit, I'm defending China, and must be some kind of communist; when they've got poo poo completely backwards. People who haven't been to China have no idea how to hate China properly.

And my (probably Trump-voting) dad gloating about Chinese internet censorship while sitting in the US under the shadow of the impending end of Net Neutrality was loving precious.

On the contrary, most people I know are all like "look how amazing China is, they get so much done, Chinese education is so good, we should emulate China", doesn't even seem to be limited to a specific political leaning.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

On the contrary, most people I know are all like "look how amazing China is, they get so much done, Chinese education is so good, we should emulate China", doesn't even seem to be limited to a specific political leaning.

That's our generation. My dad also thinks it's literally the USSR despite whatever I say.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

VideoTapir posted:

I've had the opposite experience, in that no one believes anything negative or even neutral I have to say, even if it's literally an anecdote about my experience.

Yeah, this.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Actually a significant part of China may not be stuck in 1975, but probably like 1990, which is what a lot of people don't know about.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I usually explain it this way.

You're a Chinese student who has just finished high school and is moving on to a western university.

-you can add/subtract/multiply/divide in your head better than 90% of your classmates
-you have done a million example math questions of all kinds, and are a pro at them
-you have memorized more Chinese history than 99% of your classmates
-you have memorized a ton of Biology/Chemistry facts, and many processes and formulas

The problem is that you never learned how to make proper use of any of these "skills" in applicable real-world applications. All you've ever done was to brute-force the same variation of 5-6 questions over and over again until you could do them in your sleep. Also, your grasp of English is less than poor, and is not getting better because you refuse to interact with anyone who is not Chinese. You are completely lost in lectures, and the textbooks don't make sense, so you stop coming to class because you have absolutely no clue what is going on. Despite all of this, you continue to pass your courses ONLY because your tuition is anywhere from 5-10x as much as your classmates, and the Universities in the past 15 years or so has completely restructured themselves to depend on foreign students to make a profit.

Your education system has not created some manner of super kid who makes himself rich, the kids started out rich, and their "wealth" is a result of crony-ism rather than some sort of amazing skill or ability they have learned. If anything, these kids have been trained to do one thing, and one thing only, "spend money without knowing how to make their own".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
About me: A genderqueer feminist, born in China with male body and grew up here.

As a extremism socially conservative place, there are very few feminists in China, and most of them are collage students. Authorities don't like us, they prohibit any forms of non-profit organization. Gender equality and human right are not a common sense here, and it is painful to live as a feminist.

There are a feminism association named "Vagina Project" in Beijing, and most of their members are from top universities like Tsinghua/PKU/RUC...I tried to participate and joining them, and I felt hard to debate with them, because they are far more conservative than I am.

For example, many of them don't accept the social construction theory of gender, they think masculinity-femininity is decided by sex genes, and educate a boy to be masculinity or so on is justified or discussible, and they will debate it publicly few days later. When I criticize them for biological determinism and anti-feminism, they feel offended by me, and assert I'm too radical.

In China, most of people believe that as a girl, the "virgin" is valuable, and it should be "give" to your lover. I think this culture tradition is pure evil, and it should absolutely be abolished. But they think it is discussible, and they has been debated about it publicly many times.

They feel offended by me, and assert I don't respect their opinions. But I think there should be some basic values of feminism, and it should not be declined. They blacklisted my WeChat account, and will reject my apply of joining.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
some crazy footage here. disgruntled guy rams a gas station attendant with his car and then goes after her with a cleaver. drinks something (poison maybe?) and then gets knocked out by another attendant.

:nws: https://my.mixtape.moe/yaxdna.mp4 :nws:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Blistex posted:

The problem is that you never learned how to make proper use of any of these "skills" in applicable real-world applications. All you've ever done was to brute-force the same variation of 5-6 questions over and over again until you could do them in your sleep.

I am teaching math in China and have just realized how big a problem this is. One of my students was confronted with a word problem which should have been simple for him (him in particular because he's a genius at factoring), but he couldn't understand the nature of the problem and the answer he was supposed to be finding. He finished the rest of the test, then spent 40 minutes trying the same drat method over and over and only coming up with answers that made no sense.

So from now on, every day will focus on a story problem covering the material in the book. And since they're all so much about following the rules they've learned, I've given them rules for when to give up and try something else.

I had been feeling really inadequate, because I ended up getting stuck with a class at a higher level than I was really comfortable teaching, WRT my own math skills; but now I've found my purpose. (Also my skills have been coming back faster than they've been learning, so I'm keeping a comfortable distance ahead of them.)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

VideoTapir posted:

I am teaching math in China and have just realized how big a problem this is. One of my students was confronted with a word problem which should have been simple for him (him in particular because he's a genius at factoring), but he couldn't understand the nature of the problem and the answer he was supposed to be finding. He finished the rest of the test, then spent 40 minutes trying the same drat method over and over and only coming up with answers that made no sense.

So from now on, every day will focus on a story problem covering the material in the book. And since they're all so much about following the rules they've learned, I've given them rules for when to give up and try something else.

I had been feeling really inadequate, because I ended up getting stuck with a class at a higher level than I was really comfortable teaching, WRT my own math skills; but now I've found my purpose. (Also my skills have been coming back faster than they've been learning, so I'm keeping a comfortable distance ahead of them.)

it turns out american and east european math folks got that problem on lock
"How to Solve It", george polya
"Art of Problem Solving" is to my knowledge the best curriculum for grade 6-12 in the world. hard as gently caress tho
dunno what grade your kids are in
try "Mindstorms", by Papert, too. hilariously, actually, the lego blocks were named after the book

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget
The Century Of National Humiliation.

But it is amazing.

People have to remember that China didn't try and build up with previous foundations as it was all raped and pillaged by the Japanese.
They had to make do with what's handed to them and they are actually doing really well.

With all the lawlessness of westernized 'democracy' they wouldn't be where they are today. Just look at how the USA is doing on a world level and what they did in Iraq.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaj posted:

I don't miss living in a place where logic is a loanword and there's no thought put into any action. I don't miss "no why."

lol

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

nong posted:

But it is amazing.

People have to remember that China didn't try and build up with previous foundations as it was all raped and pillaged by the Japanese.
They had to make do with what's handed to them and they are actually doing really well.

With all the lawlessness of westernized 'democracy' they wouldn't be where they are today. Just look at how the USA is doing on a world level and what they did in Iraq.

Perfect av/post combo, glorious.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

In a previous lifetime I was in a relationship with a foreign woman. On one occasion, we decided to fly to her home country to visit her family. At the time I was very poor, so paying $800 for the return flights was a big ask. We planned to stay there for just over a week, and all I had asked in return for going was the opportunity to spend one of those days exploring the tourist sites around the major city we were staying near. I had a passion for history and learning about new cultures, so was keen to see what I could in the limited time I was there. Throughout the relationship I had given up so much, so I doubted my wishes would come to fruition; but I thought it was worth a try.

As we were walking around the city I came across a huge palace that I had been very excited to explore. As we started walking the palace grounds my girlfriend began sighing and complaining about all sorts of things: the cold weather, the muddy ground, the high volume of tourists, and her hunger. I soon realized that I wasn’t going to be able to enjoy the experience, as I had someone whinging and complaining in my ear the whole time, which had the effect of guilt-tripping me. This was towards the end of a one-year relationship in which I had had to listen to a lot of whingeing and complaining. Eventually this complaining wore me down, and at this point it had started to effect my health. I had put on weight, my complexion looked sickly, and I was constantly struck down with colds and viruses.

Thinking that it was futile to even try and fulfil my wishes, I said “Forget it – let’s go” and walked out of the palace. I had paid $800 for a trip to visit her family, and I couldn’t even get one hour of peace and enjoyment. “You’re so selfish!” she later said to me in an argument. After a year of constant complaining and self-sacrifice I had had enough. The relationship didn’t last much longer, and after it ended, I never had a relationship again. This is when I began to go my own way.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

nong posted:

But it is amazing.

lol, ok

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

VideoTapir posted:

Some of my friends in University were in the engineering program and they would talk about the occasional Chinese foreign student who would act like hot poo poo during the first week or two of year one classes, then frantically try and make sense of what they were being presented with after that.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Reminds me of this little gem from 2015 lol:

quote:

Analyze, Not Memorize? Chinese Student Struggles in U.S. Chinese Language Class

Ruby, a Chinese international student, studies computational mathematics in the United States. She and her Chinese friends decided to take a Chinese class one semester. They all thought that it would be easy.

“We thought that because we are Chinese, and we speak Chinese, then getting an A would be especially easy. We studied a lot of Chinese essays in primary school, so we thought we could handle it.”

“Originally I thought that the class would be simple Chinese lessons. When I got to the classroom I found out this was not the case.” said Ruby. “The teacher was Chinese, the class had about thirty people in it, mostly foreigners. Most of them were Chinese majors.”

Ruby said that the class read Chinese literature in order to learn Chinese. “Some of them were well known works of literature like Journey to the West, and Three Kingdoms. However, most of them were written after the 20th century. So we didn't study the classics that we already knew. We did read Li Bai's poem “Drinking Alone by Moonlight,” but in English.”

In the end, Ruby had to apply for a late drop for the Chinese literature class in order to protect her GPA. The class had surprised her. “It seems that we really had to think out of the box,” she said.

Chinese students often enroll in Chinese language classes in the United States for an easy grade. However, the classes are often more difficult than expected. Chinese classes are not just about teaching Chinese, and students learn how to analyze Chinese literary classics in higher levels. Chinese classes in the United States are often taught in English and Chinese making it difficult for Chinese students.

http://www.echinacities.com/china-media/Analyze-Not-Memorize-Chinese-Student-Struggles-in-US-Chinese-Language-Class

Love it how she keeps reffering to Americans in the US a foreigners.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Love it how she keeps reffering to Americans in the US a foreigners.

anyone not korean is a foreigner.
this story reminds me of taking language classes in college (my undergrad is foreign languages). the (native speaking) spanish teachers almost universally hated the native spanish speakers because they were kind of arrogant and had the attitude of taking the class for an easy A.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nong posted:

But it is amazing.

oh God I missed this post, loooooooooool

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
My wife referred to Americans as foreigners her first year or so in America. "You're the foreigner now, Lili!"

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Turn down for what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nong posted:

the lawlessness of westernized 'democracy'