Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Triarii posted:

When AH said they were raising the spawn rate for solo players from 1/6 of a full group to 1/4, they actually just removed the scaling entirely so everyone gets 100% of a full group's spawns now. Most of the video seems to be complaints about that change.

Ooh, that change sounds like a good thing?

Dren posted:

The spawn change made it so for each cluster of players a patrol shows up every X seconds and there is no scaling of the time like there used to be. So for a four player group that’s together things are trivial compared to a solo player because they have four people to deal with the same amount of patrols. And this doesn’t quite match the description in the patch notes.

This is either unintended, in which case the devs are bad at their jobs or it’s intended but then the question is why did they bother to do this, mostly people don’t like it because it discourages playing with less than a group of four and they could have spent the time on something else.

Ooooh I can see how that is an issue though for groups. Yeah. Like at least for me, I would prefer lots of enemies thrown at me even solo. I enjoy the challenge and chaos that brings. The lower difficulties make it just the right challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

I said come in! posted:

im not watching a 14 minute video, what is the tl;dr here? this is actually relevant to me because I solo a lot, but still.

youtube dipshit mistakes a bug that will be patched out for a design decision, creates rage bait.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I know the patrol rate triples or something once you complete the primary, but most of the other multipliers are fairly small. I got annoyed and didn't watch long enough to see if he did any testing or was just making poo poo up.

Has anyone checked to see if the size of the patrols or their makeup scales with players?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

I said come in! posted:

Ooh, that change sounds like a good thing?

lol no. Its miserable. You just get overwhelmed if you didn't bring the specific loadout. Remember as you clear objectives on the map, it lowers the spawn timers further.

So instead of a duo player match having spawns every 5~ minutes, they get them every 2:45~ baseline. As you clear objectives, this timer goes down. 1, 2, and 3, player groups now deal with the same amount of patrols as 4 players. But with 4 players, its trivial to deal with between waves, compared to 1 and 2 player groups.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rawrbomb posted:

lol no. Its miserable. You just get overwhelmed if you didn't bring the specific loadout. Remember as you clear objectives on the map, it lowers the spawn timers further.

So instead of a duo player match having spawns every 5~ minutes, they get them every 2:45~ baseline. As you clear objectives, this timer goes down. 1, 2, and 3, player groups now deal with the same amount of patrols as 4 players. But with 4 players, its trivial to deal with between waves, compared to 1 and 2 player groups.

Okay that is a fair point, I guess it just depends on the person and what they really want. I kinda like this, but can see how a lot of people are going to hate it and that is valid.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Whoops!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

BitBasher posted:

Arrowhead attempted to do a thing and wholesale hosed it up. They weren't trying to kill solo at all, they were trying to fix a bug in spawns with 1/2/3 players and instead accidentally eliminated any spawn scaling at all. They evel posted what the new spawns should be, and didn't test it at all, which kind seems to be a recurring theme, unfortunately.

I wouldnt say they are not trying to kill solo, they seem to care a lot about people being able to do it and focus some percentage of their attention on things that affect that.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Jerkface posted:

I wouldnt say they are not trying to kill solo, they seem to care a lot about people being able to do it and focus some percentage of their attention on things that affect that.

Didn't they say soon after launch that they were shocked people were completing 8s and 9s? It sounds like it's been their intention that the game is frustratingly difficult.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

youtube dipshit mistakes a bug that will be patched out for a design decision, creates rage bait.

maybe, but have the devs said it’s a bug? if not, it aligns with some dev discord comments that were against solo play and all it really does it ramp up the difficulty for groups less than four, so it’s aligned with the goal of making solo harder.

i think it’s better player experience for it to be that if you can beat a difficulty in a group of four, you could beat it in a smaller group or solo and it’s not vastly harder

Bandire posted:

I know the patrol rate triples or something once you complete the primary, but most of the other multipliers are fairly small. I got annoyed and didn't watch long enough to see if he did any testing or was just making poo poo up.

Has anyone checked to see if the size of the patrols or their makeup scales with players?

yes, it was tested. no, the size and makeup don’t change.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BitBasher posted:

Arrowhead attempted to do a thing and wholesale hosed it up. They weren't trying to kill solo at all, they were trying to fix a bug in spawns with 1/2/3 players and instead accidentally eliminated any spawn scaling at all. They evel posted what the new spawns should be, and didn't test it at all, which kind seems to be a recurring theme, unfortunately.

:cry::cry::cry::cry: WHY DID ARROWHEAD DO THIS :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Don't forget to like and subscribe!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It happened again

When bugs started walking in place I knew I got disconnected from my team of randos again

I took the opportunity to kill a charger while it was stationary

When it resumed, I (level 13) was left alone to kill a bile titan surrounded by little bugs. Napalm and orbital strikes missed but *i think* I ended up killing it when I died and podded in on top of it

Chased to the extraction on the other side of the map, down to my last guy, pelican surrounded by bugs. Thank god the space between the fuselage and the engine is a sort of secret hallway to get into the ramp

This game should have brown pants armor

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

nexus6 posted:

Viscera Cleanup Detail: Helldivers Edition

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-HHaF4c0KY

gently caress youtube and gently caress youtubers, where the only point is to generate clicks with false outrage. I honestly hate how top-down gaming has become, with a few inane "influencers" directing their armies of friendless sychophants to get what they want.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Well from now on and until this game is fully and completely abandonware it will never not have a vocal contingent of friendless sycophants crying to get what they want.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Plugs this in just to drive APC

My old TF2 Pyro setup, still works in helldivers!

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Mordja posted:

gently caress youtube and gently caress youtubers, where the only point is to generate clicks with false outrage. I honestly hate how top-down gaming has become, with a few inane "influencers" directing their armies of friendless sychophants to get what they want.

Gamers are whiney babies.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I spend a lot of time on Youtube, and I have yet to find an HD2 channel that doesn't annoy the poo poo of out of me. Cloud Plays is the worst. Probably 90% of his content is (mis)reading Reddit posts and getting poo poo wrong.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dren posted:

maybe, but have the devs said it’s a bug? if not, it aligns with some dev discord comments that were against solo play and all it really does it ramp up the difficulty for groups less than four, so it’s aligned with the goal of making solo harder.

i think it’s better player experience for it to be that if you can beat a difficulty in a group of four, you could beat it in a smaller group or solo and it’s not vastly harder

yes, it was tested. no, the size and makeup don’t change.

it's explicitly not working as described so it's probably a bug

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Why is there so much sentiment against the youtube guy? The clickbait title?

Unless arrowhead says it was a bug we should assume they are competent and meant to make the change they implemented. And the change makes the game harder for smaller groups at the same difficulty. Video is correct and the actual content is pretty evenhanded.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Steeled Veterans or Polar Patriots?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

steeled veterans for breaker incendiary v bugs and dominator v bots

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dren posted:

they explicitly said that solo should be 1/4 the spawns of a 4 man team in the patch notes. it is clearly not working correctly. that video is garbage clickbait.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Steeled Veterans. I should've got that instead of Polar Patriots.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

they explicitly said that solo should be 1/4 the spawns of a 4 man team in the patch notes. it is clearly not working correctly. that video is garbage clickbait.

The video shows that the spawns are broken, have the devs said it's a known issue?

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 11, 2024

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dren posted:

Why is there so much sentiment against the youtube guy? The clickbait title?

Unless arrowhead says it was a bug we should assume they are competent and meant to make the change they implemented. And the change makes the game harder for smaller groups at the same difficulty. Video is correct and the actual content is pretty evenhanded.

yes, the clickbait title, and the fact that the whole premise is wrong. arrowhead clearly stated how it should be working in the patch notes when they made the change. this isn't hard to find.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Polar Patriots doesn't have a freeze-ray so it's an easy skip.

In all seriousness though the guns don't seem all that interesting or even good for the most part, and there are no new/different bonuses on the armor (why does arctic armor not give a movement bonus or ignore movement penalties on snow planets?). Dropping 1k SC for pretty much nothing but an emote and impact flame grenades doesn't make much sense to me.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Just did a scientist extraction where at 40/45 scientists extracted, we were getting dropships every 2-5 seconds infinitely. 5+ factory walkers, uncountable tanks, dropping right on top of the objectives. Literally killing hundreds of bots and there were thousands left. Game broken yo.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I like the new pistol a lot and the Purifier is fun

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

sushibandit posted:

why does arctic armor not give a movement bonus or ignore movement penalties on snow planets?

Especially since one clearly has spiked boots but still slips on ice.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Chocobo posted:

Just did a scientist extraction where at 40/45 scientists extracted, we were getting dropships every 2-5 seconds infinitely. 5+ factory walkers, uncountable tanks, dropping right on top of the objectives. Literally killing hundreds of bots and there were thousands left. Game broken yo.

This is normal. :shepface:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

johnny park posted:

I like the new pistol a lot and the Purifier is fun

New pistol is really great and using it now to mix things up. Honestly can't say I'm finding anything worthwhile about the Purifier after an afternoon of games with it - seems real bad TBH, and I say this as a person who used to run pre-buff Dominator and DMR rifles just because I didn't want to run the meta builds.

Horace Kinch posted:

This is normal. :shepface:

Yeah, that mission has always been the extreme challenge mode. You're only truly hosed if you roll the wrong flavor of enemies (heavy devastator trains, hulk spam, factory striders) with higher TTK/Anti-tank requirements that quickly leave you unable to keep up with the spawn rate. It's doable with many of the other flavors as long as your team is on point with optimal stratagems and aggressively wiping the drops while pressing doorbells. Mech and manned HMG turrets are really good options for these as they can wipe absurd numbers of light/medium enemies until ammo runs out.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 11, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Chocobo posted:

That's normal for those missions, which is why everyone avoids them.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Had a very unusual bug just now. Level 7 bug mission, data extraction. Full squad. Mission and side objectives and POI went real smooth, I found the super samples and extracted with them.

Twice during the mission the health bar associated with my character, L3, grayed out as if I’d died and said “Reinforcement available” and I heard someone reinforcing and the health bar restored even though I was running around doing mission like normal, never spectated or came down in a hell pod.

I never disconnected and extracted and brought the super samples home.

Maybe a squad member also had an “L” name and I just didn’t realize it? I’ll have to check my recent players.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The player scaling bug is very interesting, because it almost looks like a dev who was unfamiliar with that part of the game looked at the code and mistook the "duplicate patrols if players are spread out" part of the code for "duplicate patrols at all times" and that's how they got the nonlinear scaling numbers. Then they removed the main part of the scaling, causing it to work the way it does now.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Did a bot 9 duo last night and it was fairly chill, it really all depends on the spawns you get. In comparison, did a bot 7 with a full team and it was non stop hulks and berserkers, total nightmare, barely made it out.

I definitely find bots more fun at the moment, there's no equivalent on bugs to ramboing up to take out a stratagem jammer solo, or assaulting a command bunker when you're all out of lasers. I hope they add some more mission types to bugs, and that the illuminate will have moments like this as well.

I saw a discord comment from the balance guy before the warbond came out where he said the purifier slaps, which tells me he doesn't have a clue, and really doesn't give me confidence going forward. Hopefully they manage to shake it up and actually test things properly and consider why you would want to use each weapon as opposed to the actually good ones. If not, it's going to become a major issue for them going forward.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Chocobo posted:

On the highest difficulties you need to cheese that mission or you just lose. There’s a very specific way to go about it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bandire posted:

I spend a lot of time on Youtube, and I have yet to find an HD2 channel that doesn't annoy the poo poo of out of me. Cloud Plays is the worst. Probably 90% of his content is (mis)reading Reddit posts and getting poo poo wrong.
cashcrop is insanely good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdszYHqeeA4

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yes, the clickbait title, and the fact that the whole premise is wrong. arrowhead clearly stated how it should be working in the patch notes when they made the change. this isn't hard to find.

It's bugged, it doesn't work the way they described it in the patchnotes, solo/duo players get vastly more patrols than they said. The problem with the video, apart from the clickbait title, is that it blurs the line between what the devs have (presumably) accidentally done and what they intended to do. Other than that he makes a fair point.

If Arrowhead's intention is to quash solo and duo players on high levels in order to promote 4-player public games above all else, that's their design prerogative. That said, it seems fairly legitimate for players to be critical of this even if it were working as intended, people enjoyed the scaling how it was before. I don't really think there's anything to be gained by pushing solo/duos to open their games up to the public, the community is plenty big enough to cover for anti-social players, and speaking for myself I'm more likely to not play at all than play with pubbies, regardless of how healthy the community is overall.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

LazyMaybe posted:

why even is it that ammo boxes/resupplies don't give like, 50%/100% across the board. why are they set to individualized values per weapon

Honestly, I think the weird ammo counts we're seeing are oversights. Generally speaking, most primary and secondary weapons get 100% and support weapons get 50% from resupplies across the board, while ammo pickups provide half a resupply's worth. However, odd numbers get rounded down.

This is why the AMR gets only 1 mag back from pickups (half of 3 rounded down) and the AC only gets 2 (half of 5 rounded down). This is also why the Spear used to only get 1 back from resupplies and zero from ammo pickups, and the RR used to only get 2 rounds per resupply. The poor MG43 gets to suffer.

The Knight (and now the Tenderizer and Verdict) being stuck as they are leads me to believe their specific ammo issues are oversights. I also have no clue what to say about other weapons that don't follow this convention, like the Grenade Launcher, Flamethrower, Stalwart, and HMG, but I guess they get to be exceptions for some reason. The Grenade Pistol I can sorta understand at least.

Sorry if I'm overexplaining something you're already familiar with

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 11, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dren posted:

steeled veterans for breaker incendiary v bugs and dominator v bots

What am I missing with the Dominator vs bots? Tried it today and I regretted it so much but thankfully it was just a Blitz so I didn't have it for long.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The 01.000.300 patch notes say, and I quote

quote:

Patrol spawning has been increased when there are fewer than 4 players. The fewer the players the bigger the change. For 4 player missions there will be no change compared to before.The biggest noticeable change will be for solo players at higher difficulties

I thought the 1/6 1/4 thing was from discord but I don’t have it handy. The observed behaviors are consistent with the patch notes and also the discord post but it’s still highly likely they beefed this one and made a change they didn’t understand by failing to take into account that in a four player game, some patrols are blocked from spawning if players are close enough together. Until they own up to that it’s fair to take the changes as intended, especially since they are consistent with the patch notes.

My two cents is they need to stfu on discord so it’s easier to walk back mistakes without looking stupid and they need to start QAing the stuff they push to prod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Lobok posted:

What am I missing with the Dominator vs bots? Tried it today and I regretted it so much but thankfully it was just a Blitz so I didn't have it for long.

It staggers devastators