Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The picture at the 7-11 is...:psyduck:. He's a black kid buying some stuff. Menacing.

To people from the 'burbs, he does look menacing. The whole thing is one giant, "ZOMG! WHY DIDN'T THE MEDIA REPORT ON HOW BLACK THIS KID WAS!!!" It's disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's also what makes the white people freakout about how dare we have a conversation about how race affected every aspect of this incident while at the same time wringing hands about how SOMETHING about this kid they just can't articulate points to him attacking Zimmerman unprovoked as concrete fact so frustrating. Everything they are pointing out is basically "look he's obviously black, can't you see that?! What is wrong with you people?" but because they just use words and assumptions they would never make about white kids and don't say "black" it's outrageous that they get called on it. Of course right wing personalities are really pushing hard to just straight up say his blackness legitimized his murder and aren't getting a lot of flack for it in the main stream narrative so I have a feeling we're going to see it get a lot worse until they really start pushing for their right to say the n word on TV.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Radish posted:

I have a feeling we're going to see it get a lot worse until they really start pushing for their right to say the n word on TV.

That's basically what the Paula Deen thing was.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Radish posted:

It's also what makes the white people freakout about how dare we have a conversation about how race affected every aspect of this incident while at the same time wringing hands about how SOMETHING about this kid they just can't articulate points to him attacking Zimmerman unprovoked as concrete fact so frustrating. Everything they are pointing out is basically "look he's obviously black, can't you see that?! What is wrong with you people?" but because they just use words and assumptions they would never make about white kids and don't say "black" it's outrageous that they get called on it. Of course right wing personalities are really pushing hard to just straight up say his blackness legitimized his murder and aren't getting a lot of flack for it in the main stream narrative so I have a feeling we're going to see it get a lot worse until they really start pushing for their right to say the n word on TV.

In large part it's because people genuinely think racism is only calling someone with another race a name. The sort of folks who think racism is over literally do not believe that racism is systemic.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

In large part it's because people genuinely think racism is only calling someone with another race a name. The sort of folks who think racism is over literally do not believe that racism is systemic.

This, a thousand times. People don't understand how subtle racism, and sexism, are. They color so many of our interactions without our knowledge and most people aren't self-actualized enough to realize this.

Also, since we all know racism is bad, people just fight the label racist instead.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Radish posted:

It's also what makes the white people freakout about how dare we have a conversation about how race affected every aspect of this incident while at the same time wringing hands about how SOMETHING about this kid they just can't articulate points to him attacking Zimmerman unprovoked as concrete fact so frustrating.

There's nothing more disgusting than white people telling black people when racism is over, except when white people tell black people what's wrong with black people- and how to solve it.

It is so infuriating, so obvious, but I still can't articulate it to people who don't already get it.

You look back at when Obama was first elected president. Who talked about this being a post racial society? It certainly wasn't black people! Think about it. Remember how many black people that news agencies tried to trot out in front of the camera to get them to say that? Absolutely none of them said "Yup, certainly no racism here, no sir". They all said "Nope, things are getting better, still a lot of work to be done". But no one gave a gently caress, every news team in the loving country kept on trying to find a black person who would tell them different. When no one did, they ignored it and still decided to pat themselves on the back for a job well done just because they elected a black president.

You look at the news today, its all but a foregone loving conclusion that we're in a post-racial society (as decided by all the important white people), and that people like Obama are breaking that down. What?

Things are so hosed up, you can't make a point about how white people are still racist without some retarded loving rear end in a top hat responding with "Well, what about black on black crime?"

What about it? It's a problem, but its not a loving excuse for (racist shithead) to be a racist piece of poo poo. Tell me, how much more do black people have to do for (racist shithead) to not be racist? Why is it their problem to deal with and not (racist shithead)'s?

Sorry for the rant, it's a cry for help: I'd like more good ideas how to articulate to these people that they're dumb racists.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
The digging into Zimmerman and Martin's personal lives has gotten pretty drat creepy.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

prahanormal posted:

The digging into Zimmerman and Martin's personal lives has gotten pretty drat creepy.
Honestly I thought it'd stop once the trial ended, but apparently I severely underestimated how hard insecure racist shitheads would double down on their crazy in an attempt to get everyone else to agree with them.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
So iTunes is having specials in celebration of the month of Ramadan. Anyone care to place bets on who will be first to accuse Apple of being conquered by Muslims?

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
My news feed is largely a bunch of Los Angeles liberals, so I've been pretty lucky about not seeing horrible racist poo poo in my feed. But today I saw this, and while not nearly as bad as the other stuff I've seen posted here, still pisses me off. Hey everyone, that guy from 40 Year Old Virgin thinks his fellow black people are bringing this on themselves!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/romany-malco/a-message-to-trayvon-mart_b_3612231.html

With this comment: "Great article. I don't usually comment on these but I read them all- black on black killings is higher than any other type- we need to look further than the case but without the blame finger forward. Just listen to hot 97 for an hour- that's a bigger problem and what's more no one blinks an eyelash about lyrics that perpetuate the stereotype."

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
So by saying no personal details of Martins's life should matter I, apparently, turned someone's link to that quiz my own person soapbox.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

AlliedBiscuit posted:

My news feed is largely a bunch of Los Angeles liberals, so I've been pretty lucky about not seeing horrible racist poo poo in my feed. But today I saw this, and while not nearly as bad as the other stuff I've seen posted here, still pisses me off. Hey everyone, that guy from 40 Year Old Virgin thinks his fellow black people are bringing this on themselves!

We only have one unit of social justice this year, guys, we better spend it on Trayvon Martin. No one is allowed to care about anything else until we get one more unit in!

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

The picture at the 7-11 is...:psyduck:. He's a black kid buying some stuff. Menacing.

Yeah, people keep arguing legal minutia but I'll always think that the most significant part of the Zimmerman trial is just that white suburbanites see a black teenager doing normal stuff and automatically think it's menacing. If Zimmerman had gunned down a skinny white teenager in the same circumstances and told the same story I think he'd be in prison and we'd never have even heard about it because the cops and the jury just wouldn't have bought the story that his life was in danger.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
^^^ He would also conveniently be more Hispanic than white.

I think my favorite question in the quiz was "Did you know Zimmerman wasn't even on Neighborhood Watch duty that night?!" No I didn't! You mean it was even less his business to report a stranger to the police and then pursue him while armed?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

Any of y'all's Facebooks blowing up with this thing yet? I've seen it 5 times on my feed just today, after having seen barely any GZ posts at all.

http://www.dlas.org/questions-zimmerman-verdict/

It's pretty shameful. I especially love the parts where it asks if you had seen pictures of that black kid Trayvon hey look at these pictures did you know by the way how scary of a black guy he is? Oh my god he's BLACK! Oh and Zimmerman totally has black friends.

Did you know Trayvon Martin was ALMOST SIX FEET TALL and weighed NEARLY ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY POUNDS!?

How the gently caress is a sub six-foot, 160lb teenager threatening? Like, am I crazy here? (Nevermind, I am. I'm mostly German/Irish and my family is pretty stereotypical towering Anglo-Saxons, physically so my sense of "woah that person is tall" doesn't start until someone breaks like 6'5"). My skewed sense of people's height aside, the kid was of average height and weighing 160 at that height is very much not a huge, threatening person. (You know, unless you're black :rolleyes:)

AlliedBiscuit posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/romany-malco/a-message-to-trayvon-mart_b_3612231.html

With this comment: "Great article. I don't usually comment on these but I read them all- black on black killings is higher than any other type- we need to look further than the case but without the blame finger forward. Just listen to hot 97 for an hour- that's a bigger problem and what's more no one blinks an eyelash about lyrics that perpetuate the stereotype."

It always kills me when people do this poo poo. Black culture doesn't disenfranchise them, being disenfranchised does, and black culture reflects the systemic racism in America. These "just gotta bootstrap" morons completely reverse cause and effect.

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 23, 2013

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

1stGear posted:

^^^ He would also conveniently be more Hispanic than white.

I think my favorite question in the quiz was "Did you know Zimmerman wasn't even on Neighborhood Watch duty that night?!" No I didn't! You mean it was even less his business to report a stranger to the police and then pursue him while armed?

Exactly, Martin had no idea that Zimmer-MAN was a rent-a-cop and not some thug out to mug him.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That's bad, but to me, the most puzzling one is this one:

It's just a picture of a smiling clean-cut teenager in a t-shirt. Literally the only reason to be disturbed by this picture is if you're scared of black people, I don't understand what point they were trying to make with that one (except for the obvious one that they're trying to avoid saying outright)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Look how TALL he is, towering over everyone in that photo! Also, what is perspective?

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

It just shows that Zimmer-MAN! is a real hero by killing chasing down a tall black guy.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's just a picture of a smiling clean-cut teenager in a t-shirt. Literally the only reason to be disturbed by this picture is if you're scared of black people, I don't understand what point they were trying to make with that one (except for the obvious one that they're trying to avoid saying outright)

If anything, if the media showed that photo freep would rage about how they were trying to turn this hardcore drug addict MMA fighter into some sweet kid in order to influence the jury.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

A guy I went to high school with is basically trolling (and I respond a lot, because I'm bored). I think he's registered at SA, but maybe he doesn't post? Sidenote: Social Fixer's anonymize feature is amazing now

He's not totally wrong about Zimmerman, but he's a douche about it.

KRock
Aug 13, 2007
College Slice

Waffles Inc. posted:

Any of y'all's Facebooks blowing up with this thing yet? I've seen it 5 times on my feed just today, after having seen barely any GZ posts at all.

http://www.dlas.org/questions-zimmerman-verdict/

It's pretty shameful. I especially love the parts where it asks if you had seen pictures of that black kid Trayvon hey look at these pictures did you know by the way how scary of a black guy he is? Oh my god he's BLACK! Oh and Zimmerman totally has black friends.

Hmm, there doesn't seem to be any questions regarding Zimmerman's colorful past (assaulting an officer, restraining order, allegedly molesting his cousin, 40+ 911 calls).

I wonder why that could be?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

myron cope posted:

A guy I went to high school with is basically trolling (and I respond a lot, because I'm bored). I think he's registered at SA, but maybe he doesn't post? Sidenote: Social Fixer's anonymize feature is amazing now

This right here is the core of it. Crab Mentality in almost pure format. Rather than seeing his own potentially unstable 401k as a symptom of a problem where employees aren't guaranteed income during retirement, he sees the problem as someone else is getting that compensation, therefore they should be dragged down to his level.

I'd link to the Frontline video on The Retirement Gamble here, but the page seems to be down on their servers.

e: The main page about it is down, the video is available here. Be prepared for depression. :smith:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
So I've been friends with Michael for several years now, and I like to think I've had a pretty big influence on his political views over time. Yesterday, after getting a few comments in, I decided to step back and let him handle it on his own.

I'm so proud :unsmith:

Fun fact: Bryan is a Staff Sergeant in the US Army :eng99: goddamn I am glad I got out

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

baw posted:

So I've been friends with Michael for several years now, and I like to think I've had a pretty big influence on his political views over time. Yesterday, after getting a few comments in, I decided to step back and let him handle it on his own.

Haha a guy like Trump should know the difference between bankrupt, broke, and in debt

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Ainsley McTree posted:

To be honest I skimmed the page because it made me sick and that is just as bad.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

baw posted:

I'm so proud :unsmith:

Fun fact: Bryan is a Staff Sergeant in the US Army :eng99: goddamn I am glad I got out

Big ups to Ryan for using the phrase "force feed" while complaining that we spend too much money on creature comforts for Gitmo!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

baw posted:

I think that people in the military railing against government spending should always be met with, "Yes, I agree. Let's start with the cutting military spending."

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
This loving guy

quote:

It's just kinda mean.

It's like me making a thread about Sudan titled "And I thought Democrats loves slavery". But I digress. That was lame what the cop said.
It's still happening in the form of welfare and white guilt ;x

#Obama
[welfare and white guilt are equivalent to slavery], whether you deny it or not. Obama is the original Uncle Tom.
This isn't about working mothers. this is about lazy bums who sit around all day and want handouts.

And some of these people drive fancy cars and wear fancy clothes too. Now tell me if this is fair for the rest of society or not. By the way, they're running, these are all able-bodied people, not disabled people.
No. It's immoral and it's stealing from hard working people.

My parents always had to pay because we grew up and had no insurance. And we grew up poor. If we can do it, so can they.
If they're hard working, where is their money? They should be able to afford it.

But smoking cigarettes or eating Mcdonalds all the time is a choice. Obesity is a choice. Unprotected sex and pregnancy/HIV is a choice. Cancer from smoking is a choice. Damaging your eyes from cellphone or computer use is a choice. Having X number of kids and demanding society pay for it is a choice. We should put the kids in a foster home and tie the tubes so they won't be a drain on society.

How long are we going to hold peoples' hands like they're children? We have a big debt and the entitlement spending has to stop. We've killed the goose that laid the golden egg. These people will never recover from entitlement mentality. They think the 'white man" owes them something, after slavery's been over for 100 years. It won't end. Once they strip you of your dignity and put you on their slave plantation(welfare), you won't get off.

Sorry for I don't want my country to turn into Cuba. And we have way more sick and obese people than Canada. Canada may be able to afford this, but we can't. It's gonna sink us further into debt if we have to start paying for all these people.

But I doubt comrade Obama cares.

For you it's a matter of "oh let's help everyone", when it's actually "we're not able to help these people". People have to lift themselves our of poverty. They can't keep relying on society to baby them. enough is enough.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Welp he's a pretty despicable human being with absolutely zero empathy. Seems like he's projecting a lot too.

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

AShamefulDisplay posted:

This loving guy

White male right?

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Van5 posted:

White male right?

Yup. Also Catholic.

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Yup. Also Catholic.

Jesus approves of abandoning the poor you guys :shepicide:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Yup. Also Catholic.

Catholics are pretty good about taking care of the poor and don't have the prosperity gospel as a doctrine. If he is a Catholic he isn't a very good one.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Just ask him what percentage of welfare recipients are "leeches," and how many are using the program temporarily until they find a job.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

baw posted:

Just ask him what percentage of welfare recipients are "leeches," and how many are using the program temporarily until they find a job.

I'm gonna go on a limb here and guess that there is no difference to him.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Had a fun talk with him about integrating suburbs.

quote:

Anyone else feel like they're going to start bringing the gangs from the big cities to ruin the suburbs too now? And what? Are suburbs racist too now?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/23/we...anted=all&_r=0
I responded by outlining what redlining and blockbusting are, telling him that suburbs have always been subjects of racist policies. I also showed him this article, which is a great read:
http://www.oprhc.org/2012/07/americas-racially-diverse-suburbs-opportunities-and-challenges/

He replied with this:

quote:

And what do you think the outcome is gonna be? This inner city people who destroyed the cities are now going to destroy the suburbs too.

I will give you three guesses as to who these inner city people are...

edit also, he isnt Catholic. Hes Eastern Orthodox. My bad.

Double edit: more fun

quote:

Well if they're coming from big cities, then they have to do a background check on people. The big cities like New York City and Los Angeles are breeding grounds of gangbangers, especially here in l.a. If they just let anyone in, the suburbs are gonna turn into the next Chicago.

My source was using data from a Chicago suburb :shepicide:

AShamefulDisplay fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 24, 2013

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
This guy is deeply and unapologetically racist, you're not going to convince him of anything until he admits that to himself (and actually believe that it's wrong).

So good luck with that.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

AShamefulDisplay posted:

edit also, he isnt Catholic. Hes Eastern Orthodox. My bad.
Goddamnit, apologizing on behalf of all of us. Does he know that near easterners and black people invented a lot of the Church's early ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

Goddamnit, apologizing on behalf of all of us. Does he know that near easterners and black people invented a lot of the Church's early ideas?

Hes a 2nd generation Russian immigrant and he doesnt seem to know much about his own religion anyway so I really doubt it.