Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pivo posted:

My friend says "my computer is being slow..." and I ask her for some details.

If she doesn't want to spend the money on a new computer dropping an SSD and another 4GB of RAM into that machine would make it pretty OK with an updated OS. I've got an only slightly faster core 2 Duo MBP that I use all the time for basic word processing and internet poo poo with those upgrades. Those older MBPs can be troopers for basic use scenarios.

edit: of course if she wants a new computer dive in. I'm just mentioning it because upgrading can be worth it if the budget is tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pivo posted:

My friend says "my computer is being slow..." and I ask her for some details.

"LITERALLY. DIED." That OS X is 5 years old and that hard drive should be in a museum. RAM is eh. So now we get to go shopping!

Be really careful with RAM compatibility. I've had problems getting modern DDR3 to work in Macs from that era, even with Crucial "Mac RAM" and also RAM taken out of a Mac Mini. I'd look for a specifically approved memory kit for that model.

For what it's worth, El Capitan is soldiering along with shockingly competent performance on a Macbook even older than that with 2GB of RAM total.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I dunno if anyone still cares but Avid recently announced that they're never gonna release El Capitan drivers for their older M-Audio interfaces (hardware that worked perfectly on Mavericks) because they're lazy fucks.

Will never buy Avid hardware again.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Avid is poo poo. Their drivers are responsible for almost all the crashes I've ever had on a Mac.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If Studio One ever gets a decent video engine I'll never look at pro tools again.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Just picked up the $2500 15" MacBook via eBay for $1949 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/391183003040 . I know there's a new model coming soon, but as an upgrade from a 5-year old iMac with a SATA hard drive, its a great improvement in every way but raw screen size and the price is right.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Be really careful with RAM compatibility. I've had problems getting modern DDR3 to work in Macs from that era

OTOH with my 2011 17", I stuck in basically whatever matched the stock clock and it worked. I had issues with old iMacs that take DDR2, blew a few hundred dollars of my employer's money on RAM that didn't work, oops. Hey, they weren't paying me to be IT ;-)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

Just picked up the $2500 15" MacBook via eBay for $1949 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/391183003040 . I know there's a new model coming soon, but as an upgrade from a 5-year old iMac with a SATA hard drive, its a great improvement in every way but raw screen size and the price is right.

new model or not, I'm convinced the $2500 15" in its current form is the apex of laptops it's all downhill from here (ok not really but it's a great computer, I doubt the new model will be much better)

It's great how portable it is. After a few months of use now, I bring this laptop in a backpack everyday. It's easy and I see no reason to use a 13 inch for portability unless I had like a really small bag or something.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I can't use the 15" on a plane unless I'm in first class. Going to go with the new 12", hopefully.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah as awesome as it is that these 15" notebooks are legitimately powerful beasts, I'm spoilt by the size and weight of my 13" MBA. I don't even need it to be that portable, but the form factor is so goddamned nice I never want a bigger laptop.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Well I do use my 15" on horrendously small school desks, it still works and I wouldn't want a smaller screen. However if I was flying a lot, I'd probably want something with battery power over computing power. Most of the time i only spend a couple of hours off charger unless I'm being lazy and typing in bed or something

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
13" is the perfect size for a laptop, but the internals of the 13" MBP max out pretty disappointingly. Sigh. :smith:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

tuyop posted:

13" is the perfect size for a laptop, but the internals of the 13" MBP max out pretty disappointingly. Sigh. :smith:

The struggle is real

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
So, I've got a 2012 MBPro. It's most recent install was a completely clean install of El Cap—reformatted the drive, installed off a USB. It's still, honestly, sluggish, especially when waking up from sleep—this can take a minute or more, much of which is waiting for it to accept keystrokes at the password screen. Loading the Finder environment can take a long time after a reboot, too.

So, I'm probably going to head down the SSD route. What is the current goon-approved choice? I had a look at the first few posts in this megathread, but they're a bit old...!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's probably your HDD, that happened to my 2012 MBP very recently. Got a crucial SSD , the first one was hosed, sent it back and got a new one and it runs like a dream. The Mac feels like new.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's probably your HDD, that happened to my 2012 MBP very recently. Got a crucial SSD , the first one was hosed, sent it back and got a new one and it runs like a dream. The Mac feels like new.

Great! That's encouraging. What size, and where did you buy it? I've worked on Macs before, but not since the days of the white G4s... I assume the install was easy? Friend of mine has the requisite screw bits, so that's taken care of.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Also those years of MacBook can have a sata cable issue and the only symptom before it gets really bad is terrible performance. The ones I've fixed would randomly beachball all over the place as it waited for the HDD to resurface

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

8ender posted:

Also those years of MacBook can have a sata cable issue and the only symptom before it gets really bad is terrible performance. The ones I've fixed would randomly beachball all over the place as it waited for the HDD to resurface

Oh, really? That's very interesting—that describes my problem exactly. Can you replace the SATA cable without having to redo the entire HDD? If so, that sounds like a cheaper option...

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Jeherrin posted:

Oh, really? That's very interesting—that describes my problem exactly. Can you replace the SATA cable without having to redo the entire HDD? If so, that sounds like a cheaper option...

I agree it's as likely to be the cable as the HDD... But while you can just replace the cable, if you don't have an SSD for the love of god get an SSD too. They're relatively cheap nowadays.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Choadmaster posted:

I agree it's as likely to be the cable as the HDD... But while you can just replace the cable, if you don't have an SSD for the love of god get an SSD too. They're relatively cheap nowadays.

Key word is relative. 500ish GB isn't all that cheap, I'm on a budget, and it's not my workhorse machine - my 2011 iMac is still going beautifully. It's a question of weighing up necessity over price. If I can bring the MBPro back to 'usable', I'll take the cable as a medium-term fix. If that doesn't deliver, I'll certainly think again. In a perfect world, of course...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

500gb direct from crucial was about €100

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Jeherrin posted:

Key word is relative. 500ish GB isn't all that cheap, I'm on a budget, and it's not my workhorse machine - my 2011 iMac is still going beautifully. It's a question of weighing up necessity over price. If I can bring the MBPro back to 'usable', I'll take the cable as a medium-term fix. If that doesn't deliver, I'll certainly think again. In a perfect world, of course...

If it's not your primary machine do you need 500 GB? You can get 240-250 GB SSDs for $65-$75 (if you want to splurge I'd recommend a 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO, those are $88 on Newegg right now). But you know your budget better than I do.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Jeherrin posted:

So, I'm probably going to head down the SSD route. What is the current goon-approved choice? I had a look at the first few posts in this megathread, but they're a bit old...
You could use PCIe SSDs / PCIe -> double SATA SSDs, you lucky bastard. Hang onto that machine for a good long while.

I can't do without pro graphics or a lot of CPU power any more; I'm rendering at home and work (rMBP + Mac Pro D500s). I really, really doubt they'll update the Pro at all or in a meaningful way that won't be stuck for other 3 years. But if they do, I'm buying that drat thing for home. If they don't, I'm going to build a 2-3 GPU pc box in a couple weeks.

Edit: I'm an idiot who can't read- You said MBPro, which I assumed was Mac Pro.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 22, 2016

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jeherrin posted:

So, I've got a 2012 MBPro. It's most recent install was a completely clean install of El Cap—reformatted the drive, installed off a USB. It's still, honestly, sluggish, especially when waking up from sleep—this can take a minute or more, much of which is waiting for it to accept keystrokes at the password screen. Loading the Finder environment can take a long time after a reboot, too.

So, I'm probably going to head down the SSD route. What is the current goon-approved choice? I had a look at the first few posts in this megathread, but they're a bit old...!

Samsung 850 EVO.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

Good job, but was this a clone or a fresh install? I keep meaning to do this for my Digital Audio G4/533..

Clone from the HDD, over a IDE-SATA bridge. Easy as pie, and it screams. Go for it.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
My kingdom for a rMBP refresh with Skylake, Thunderbolt 3, new color finishes, an "infinity" screen, a butterfly keyboard with a wee bit more travel and a refreshed 4-5K Thunderbolt Display to connect it to. Most of the current rumors are centered around iPad and Apple Watch band updates, none of which is at all interesting to me, but I'm still holding out hope we'll see something in March ahead of WWDC in June.

I really need to stop checking MacRumors every day.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Jeherrin posted:

Yes the cable is one of the first things you'll see when you open the laptop. It runs about $12 iirc. I diagnose by hitting the HDD with a ton of IO and then watching activity monitor for bizarre behaviour like disk reads and writes just dropping off a cliff right when it beachballs. This might be hard to see if it's only starting to go bad so just replacing it is really the best bet as the new ones are an improved design that doesn't go bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's definitely time for a new form factor for the Retina Pros. I hope the 1 hole experiment of the Macbook is over.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's definitely time for a new form factor for the Retina Pros. I hope the 1 hole experiment of the Macbook is over.
I've always thought the initial release of the MacBook was them getting ahead of the curve with the manufacturing process working on the assumption that Thunderbolt 3 would use the USB-C form factor (since they were implied to be heavily involved in the development of both) and trying to recoup some of the initial costs of setting up the supply lines/manufacturing chain. I don't think they ever intended the first revision to be a serious release and the exceptionally poor supply situation at launch sort of corroborates that.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mandals posted:

My kingdom for a rMBP refresh with Skylake, Thunderbolt 3, new color finishes, an "infinity" screen, a butterfly keyboard with a wee bit more travel and a refreshed 4-5K Thunderbolt Display to connect it to. Most of the current rumors are centered around iPad and Apple Watch band updates, none of which is at all interesting to me, but I'm still holding out hope we'll see something in March ahead of WWDC in June.

Same to every last bit of this, and if the top 15" switches back to Nvidia that would be the best. And while I'm wishing, I'd also love a 3360x2100 display (equivalent to 1680x1050).

I finally got to a store to try out the retina Macbook keyboard the other day, and it's pretty great except for the limited travel. I also tried the new wireless Magic Keyboard, which fixes that problem, so if they can put that version of the keyboard in a new rMBP that would be wonderful.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

500gb direct from crucial was about €100

I checked the Crucial site. 500GB, £151.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

BobHoward posted:

Same to every last bit of this, and if the top 15" switches back to Nvidia that would be the best. And while I'm wishing, I'd also love a 3360x2100 display (equivalent to 1680x1050).

I finally got to a store to try out the retina Macbook keyboard the other day, and it's pretty great except for the limited travel. I also tried the new wireless Magic Keyboard, which fixes that problem, so if they can put that version of the keyboard in a new rMBP that would be wonderful.

I mean, there are shitloads of 4K IPS screens in the right size around, that'd be an excellent choice. I really like 1080p on a laptop (at least, the idea of 2560x1440 being available is pretty drat cool too).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jeherrin posted:

I checked the Crucial site. 500GB, £151.

Hmmm, I just checked and when I ordered it, it was €136, which is about £100.

Holy poo poo, just checked the Crucial site and the model I bought is now up to €190.

Might be worth checking out those Samsung Evos!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

What was the customer satisfaction like on this after? I heard a bunch of the early sales were returned, but people who knew what they were buying into hopefully liked it?

I think if my 13" air had gotten damaged and it was replaced with one, I'd have been OK with it. I don't care for things dangling off my laptop so a single USB connector is fine with me. I only used the keyboard once to do some copy typing off a spec sheet of a display model, and while i agree it's not quite as nice I was still able to type fast and accurately.

I mean, never buy a first generation apple product and all but I still think it seemed a cool machine for certain uses.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm very much looking forward to the new Retina MacBook to replace my 15" rMBP. I'd be fine with the exact same chassis but with Skylake and an option for 16GB of ram.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

What's wrong with it? I know it's closing in on the age that the unibody was when they replaced it, but it's solid.

I'd like a higher resolution screen but it's not a deal-breaker. 1280x800 and 1440x900 as the 'native' resolutions? Don't play dumb Apple, you know the higher resolution of the 13" Air drove a lot of people to buy it. Sure, the high-res 15" wasn't that great of a seller but c'mon.

I have mixed feelings about USB-C. I don't like the display cable being combined with anything like a charging port. Where's my USB-C to DisplayPort cable so I can plug my loving 27" ACD in? There's this but I still need the adapter to MiniDP and where's the power come in? And I'm not buying a loving $199 USB-C dock to have power+video when I can connect right now for free.

The one good thing I can see about USB-C is possibly cheaper adapters/hub since other companies will be using the port. I've built up a collection of miniDP and TB adapters though, so I just get to buy that poo poo all over again.

Back to the current Retina form factor, I think in my head 'this laptop doesn't need to be any thinner', but then I remember how strange it is to go back to the classic MacBook Pro and feel how 'fat' that thing is.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

what's the cable directly above your Superdrive?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

what's the cable directly above your Superdrive?
Likely SATA for 2.5" drives. Never seen one so simple; I use the Seagate Flex GO tray.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kuskus posted:

Likely SATA for 2.5" drives. Never seen one so simple; I use the Seagate Flex GO tray.

Yea, it's just a USB to SATA adapter that I use to plug in random 2.5" hard drives. If I'm going to clone to an SSD I use a 2.5" USB 3.0 housing (ORICO brand)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bob Morales posted:

Back to the current Retina form factor, I think in my head 'this laptop doesn't need to be any thinner', but then I remember how strange it is to go back to the classic MacBook Pro and feel how 'solid and well engineered' that thing is.
There, I fixed that for you.