Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Queen Combat posted:

I want to get one of these newfangled consoles to play, specifically the PS4 because Horizon Zero Dawn is a game that I must own (even if it's not that great, see ME3). What order do the Yakuza games go in? I'm so damned confused with the numbering and release dates.

PYF games, just everything about the skinner box that is Slime Rancher for the first ten hours. Haven't felt that mesmerized by complete by-the-numbers garbage since 2009 and Minecraft. I'm done with Slime Rancher now, but man the $3 for it from SAMart was a great buy for a couple days' of podcast-listening mindless entertainment.

Best way is Zero, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, then 6. 0 is incredible and the best game to start with, since it is a prequel to the series. Kiwami 1 is a pretty uneven, as its a remaster of the first game and just isn't as good as 0. I haven't got to Kiwami 2. 6 is wrapping up the series, and improves on the engine, but is really stripped down content wise.

There is a HD release of 3/4/5 coming in the future. Apparently 5 is the best in the series before 0.

Zero is available on Steam if you have a decent PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
And Kiwami has also been announced for Steam, but without a release date yet.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Queen Combat posted:

I want to get one of these newfangled consoles to play, specifically the PS4 because Horizon Zero Dawn is a game that I must own (even if it's not that great, see ME3). What order do the Yakuza games go in? I'm so damned confused with the numbering and release dates.
Its not that confusing. Theyre numbered, zero came out after 5 though you can really play it at any point.

Kiwami is just a remake of the first game.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
3 is by far the best orphanage simulator, while 4 introduced a lot of great characters that changed the series for the better

5 has hunting and made me irritated that we'll probably never have an open world yakuza survival game

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
The posts after CK are just more confusing

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Which ones are in English? I grabbed Kiwami off psplus but I don't want to bore my partner with something they can't follow.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Queen Combat posted:

Hey, don't get yourself too down on them, Horizon is pretty good, even if you can't hack robots to follow you around like a massive personal army and they have to stick to their original patrol routes.

Anyway, the Yakuza games are weird. Kiwami 1 and 2 are remakes of the first two games because the original ones are like 12 years old. And I think 0 is like the sixth game but because it's a prequel you can easily play that one first and it's also just loving packed full of content too because they've had half a decade of making these games to come up with activities to add to them and such.

Also, because money is everywhere in Yakuza 0, money explodes out of people while you're fighting them.

https://i.imgur.com/FrUICkP.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/IsuoS2u.mp4

Queen Combat posted:

The posts after CK are just more confusing

Okay, lemme try. Yakuza 0 is a prequel. You can play that one whenever. However, it was the latest game they made before Yakuza 6 so it's the most polished. Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 are remakes of the original Yakuza 1 and 2 on the PS2. There are HD versions of Yakuza 3, 4, and 5 coming eventually as well. They won't be full massive remakes like the two Kiwami ones but they should be improvements for nothing less than the load times being better.

I hope that was clearer, I have a bad habit of leaving things out.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 07:45 on Nov 9, 2018

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

rodbeard posted:

Which ones are in English? I grabbed Kiwami off psplus but I don't want to bore my partner with something they can't follow.

Only the original PS2 NA release of Yakuza 1 and the new Fist of the North Star game (which is pretty much just Yakuza but more anime). The rest only have Japanese audio.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just play them in order base on release date starting with Yakuza 0, ie skipping all original versions. Hell by the time you get through 0-5 i bet there will be a 6 re-release and probably a Yakuza 7.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Queen Combat posted:

PYF games, just everything about the skinner box that is Slime Rancher for the first ten hours. Haven't felt that mesmerized by complete by-the-numbers garbage since 2009 and Minecraft. I'm done with Slime Rancher now, but man the $3 for it from SAMart was a great buy for a couple days' of podcast-listening mindless entertainment.

As a general rule when people ask about the chronology of the series and where to start, just go by order of release, not the series' internal timeline.

Most of the time developers only plan their storylines out game by game, so playing a newer prequel first that was intended for people who played the older, but chronologically later title, can come off as really wonky because the developers intended you to understand the gravity or context of these events in relation to titles in the series you've already played.

The best example I can think of is Prometheus/Alien, regardless of your personal opinion of Prometheus as far as quality is concerned, it will make signifigantly less sense and have significantly less impact if you haven't seen Alien and Aliens first.

I haven't played the remake of the original Yakuza, but I replayed the PS2 ones not too long ago and they're still lots of fun if you can get past some dated clunkiness.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The thing that makes Yakuza a bit complicated is that after 0 was a smashing success they changed a lot of mechanics and plot beats of the remakes to gel better with it, so starting with Yakuza 1 at this point is going to be even more confusing than it was back on the Ps2. But it is still a pretty simple order:

Yakuza 0 > Yakuza Kiwami 1 > Yakuza Kiwami 2

As in, literally 0 > 1 > 2, except they added the dumb "Kiwami" to the remakes that makes it seem like they're a spin-off or something.

They are already remastering 3, 4 and 5 for the Ps4 - 3 is already out in Japan, in fact - so I am waiting for those to come to the West, but its okay if you want to just straight to 6 and just be done with it.

I'd just advise to not go crazy and buy a bundle with multiple games because while they are heavily praised in these forums and most of the Internet, they definitely have a very distinct style of their own that just doesn't gel with some people. Get 0, take your time with it, then make your decision.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yeah the Yakuza series just goes 0-6 with Dead Souls and the one set in the samurai times as outliers

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Queen Combat posted:

Lucky for you HZD is actually great. Grab a PS4 in a cyber Monday sale.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Horizon Zero Dawn is fantastic and a lot of the collectible audio bits and the vantage point collectibles have some great setting and character work.

Also being able to craft ammo on the fly with robot bits is so satisfying. I loved hunting down specific bits so I could get stuff for to restock my tearblast arrows because I knew I’d need them to turn the tables in a fight I wanted to do.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Queen Combat posted:

Don't worry about HZD, it's fantastic, both from a gameplay perspective as well as story. It has what I feel is the most horrific apocalypse in fiction that I've seen, while still managing to be very hopeful.

Slime Rancher is just so aggressively cute I can't stand it. I don't mean I dislike it. It's just so loving cute it's like when a dog gets so worked up they can't do anything other than run for awhile. UGH it's so CUTE.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samuringa posted:

The thing that makes Yakuza a bit complicated is that after 0 was a smashing success they changed a lot of mechanics and plot beats of the remakes to gel better with it, so starting with Yakuza 1 at this point is going to be even more confusing than it was back on the Ps2. But it is still a pretty simple order:

Yakuza 0 > Yakuza Kiwami 1 > Yakuza Kiwami 2

As in, literally 0 > 1 > 2, except they added the dumb "Kiwami" to the remakes that makes it seem like they're a spin-off or something.

Probably so if you go look them up online you specifically get the remakes and not the original PS2 games in your results. It's not an uncommon thing to do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I basically bought a PS4 to play Horizon Zero Dawn and was not disappointed. Other good games have been made for it as well.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Bloodborne and HZD are the only two games for the ps4 i've ever enjoyed enough to replay.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
The Last of Us remastered is excellent too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Besides Horizon Zero Dawn and all the other marquee titles you'd normally expect, having a PS4 this generation was totally worth it for the beautiful Shadow of the Colossus remaster, pretty much inarguably one of the greatest games ever made.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
God of War is what finally convinced me to get my first console since the Wii and I haven't regretted it all. The PS4 has one of the strongest console libraries ever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dienes posted:

Lucky for you HZD is actually great. Grab a PS4 in a cyber Monday sale.

Most places are going to have e then for $200 + Spider-Man Black Friday and from my experience the crowds are gone by noon. Having the PS4 be as old as it is there should still be shitloads available

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I have a 4k tv but play in 1080p because the TV has like 300ms of lag on any 4k mode. Would the normal PS4 be fine or am I gonna miss out on big things?

Feel like a noob here when I've got dual 1070s in my PC but just been out of the console game for so long.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing DoubleFine's The Cave. It's really cute and I like the puzzles so far, although I'm only a few minutes into it. The presentation is also really interesting, like the character select is inventive (you pick a character and walk them into the cave after using the first one to grab the crowbar and unseal it, then position them on a rickety bridge. Every character that joins them causes the bridge to crumble slightly, then when the third and final one gets on it the whole thing collapses and the game starts properly)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

I have a 4k tv but play in 1080p because the TV has like 300ms of lag on any 4k mode. Would the normal PS4 be fine or am I gonna miss out on big things?

Feel like a noob here when I've got dual 1070s in my PC but just been out of the console game for so long.

The pro downsamples from the 4k assets to provide better quality 1080p in addition to just flat out boosting performance of games where available. The performance boost and image quality will be a nice upgrade but ultimately a pro and a ps4 are close enough in performance you arent going to be missing out on true game changers if you dont use a 4k tv and youll need to ask yourself how much youre willing to pay for mild improvements in picture and performance.

With an Xbox on the other hand there is 0 reason not to buy the X version due to how dramatically the X upgrades things, improves BC, and passes the PS4 Pro in performance (see Red Dead Redemption 2 for an extremely striking example).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Queen Combat posted:

I want to get one of these newfangled consoles to play, specifically the PS4 because Horizon Zero Dawn is a game that I must own
It's really, really not. Trust me on this one.

Queen Combat posted:

Get the Pro. There's no reason to get a regular PS4 or regular Xbox 1, you're just wasting money. Get the Pro or the X.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Welp, that's word of god right there, so time to hunt down some deals on a Pro or X.

Sorry for stanking up the thread with a quip and followups.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The ps4 pro performance is marginally better than the regular one, at best. If you really want it to shine you should replace the lovely hdd with an ssd.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Queen Combat posted:

Welp, that's word of god right there, so time to hunt down some deals on a Pro or X.

Sorry for stanking up the thread with a quip and followups.

I dunno guy is implying Horizon isn't a good game worth getting which is wrong

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The possums in RDR2 literally play possum sometimes, meaning you get the prompt to pick them up/skin them, then when you try it they hiss and run away

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's no reason to get a regular PS4 or regular Xbox 1, you're just wasting money.

Can you explain this one because that sounds like the opposite of wasting money.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Queen Combat posted:

If you can afford the extra $100 or whatever without much pain or hassle, get the pro. If you cant, get the regular. I've got a regular PS4 and everything looks good and plays well, if I had a pro it would look slightly gooder and in some cases play slightly weller, but it is an incremental improvement.

And echoing everyone else who is saying for Yakuza games go 0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2 then by the time you've got through those (they are big rear end games unless you for some insane reason just mainline the story missions without exploring any of the excellent side stuff) 3 will probably be out. Then you can wait for 4 then 5 or jump straight to 6 to see how the story ends (I played 0, K1, 6 then K2 and it was fine, but thats simply because K2 wasnt out yet when I needed more Yakuza in my life).

You will probably not be disappointed in HZD either, it is a very good game. As is new God of War and Spider-man if we are talking about truly excellent PS4 exclusives. I honestly never thought I'd be in a position where I gave a poo poo about the plot and characters in a god or war game, but its 2018 and here we are.

JebanyPedal posted:

As a general rule when people ask about the chronology of the series and where to start, just go by order of release, not the series' internal timeline.

Most of the time developers only plan their storylines out game by game, so playing a newer prequel first that was intended for people who played the older, but chronologically later title, can come off as really wonky because the developers intended you to understand the gravity or context of these events in relation to titles in the series you've already played.

The best example I can think of is Prometheus/Alien, regardless of your personal opinion of Prometheus as far as quality is concerned, it will make signifigantly less sense and have significantly less impact if you haven't seen Alien and Aliens first.

I haven't played the remake of the original Yakuza, but I replayed the PS2 ones not too long ago and they're still lots of fun if you can get past some dated clunkiness.

Yakuza absolutely breaks that general rule. 0 is the best jumping on point. There are a few moments where its "Oh, I bet we wont be seeing that character again... OR WILL WE???? *wink*" that I did not get as a new player of the series, but they were all minor cameos in sub stories and obvious enough about it that if I really wanted to know I'd google that poo poo. But the main plot stands on its own merits, not expecting you to know the plot of later games, and then when you play Kiwami I found a lot of the plot hit harder because of my knowledge of the history between certain characters which I'd seen in Zero. Kiwami tells you that certain characters have a deep shared history, Zero has the space to SHOW you that history and it drastically improves Kiwami as a result.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah. 0 has a few shoutouts to later games, but Kiwami 1 and 2 have massively more callbacks to stuff from 0, so you might as well start with 0. I did, and apart from not quite getting a few cameos it's working out great.

It's all in the side missions anyway so you might miss it entirely (don't though, do all the side missions).

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing DoubleFine's The Cave. It's really cute and I like the puzzles so far, although I'm only a few minutes into it. The presentation is also really interesting, like the character select is inventive (you pick a character and walk them into the cave after using the first one to grab the crowbar and unseal it, then position them on a rickety bridge. Every character that joins them causes the bridge to crumble slightly, then when the third and final one gets on it the whole thing collapses and the game starts properly)

I had to give up on that because the switching character mechanic was driving me crazy. The amount of repetition to do anything makes the game gets real dull real fast.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just got to the part in Spider-Man where The Sinister 6 Assemble.

So far I really like the presentation of things and don't hate the MJ and Miles Morales sequences because they are likable characters (for the most part), and I love how Octavious is handled.

Through out the game you are helping him with his projects and working out all the bugs in his neural interface, basically protecting him from himself. However, when he grafts the arms to his back, you get a chance to diagnose the problems before they go too far... however it's far too big a task. Every time you fix one problem another crops up endlessly, and even when the diagnostic is complete and you've fixed everything possible there are still too many variables and massive chances of failure. This is an entirely new project, nothing like anything anyone has seen before, and it's a total mess with no easy way to fix it. Peter almost manages to talk Ock down when he points this out, but then Osbourne shows up, triggers Otto badly and all hell breaks loose. It makes you feel the frustration and fear of what's to come, as the constant popups incur a sense of panic because instead of leaving the question of "Why doesn't Peter just help Octavious before he gets too bad?" in the air, he did, it just wasn't enough.

I like that they worked gameplay into that aspect of the story.

Also the Assembly of the 6 at the Raft was a great setpiece.

The only problem I have with the game is the Crimes, my god they are garbage.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

I've just got to the part in Spider-Man where The Sinister 6 Assemble.

So far I really like the presentation of things and don't hate the MJ and Miles Morales sequences because they are likable characters (for the most part), and I love how Octavious is handled.

Through out the game you are helping him with his projects and working out all the bugs in his neural interface, basically protecting him from himself. However, when he grafts the arms to his back, you get a chance to diagnose the problems before they go too far... however it's far too big a task. Every time you fix one problem another crops up endlessly, and even when the diagnostic is complete and you've fixed everything possible there are still too many variables and massive chances of failure. This is an entirely new project, nothing like anything anyone has seen before, and it's a total mess with no easy way to fix it. Peter almost manages to talk Ock down when he points this out, but then Osbourne shows up, triggers Otto badly and all hell breaks loose. It makes you feel the frustration and fear of what's to come, as the constant popups incur a sense of panic because instead of leaving the question of "Why doesn't Peter just help Octavious before he gets too bad?" in the air, he did, it just wasn't enough.

I like that they worked gameplay into that aspect of the story.

Also the Assembly of the 6 at the Raft was a great setpiece.

The only problem I have with the game is the Crimes, my god they are garbage.

I didn't notice it in my playthrough but after Norman cuts the budget right at the beginning, Otto immediately begins the Prison Breakout plans. Others posters told me if you go back regularly you can see designs for Rhyno's and Electro's new types of equipment, and other data referring to the other bad guys.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In the comics it's plainly told that the explosion that created Dr. Octopus gave him brain damage and from there he became a villain. He's always been a bit sympathetic in that respect. Likewise in the movie he's not made out to be evil from the start because the tentacles themselves are AI and taking over his mind. I like how this videogame origin mixes the two. It still has his mind and personality affected but here it's a risk with the tentacles he takes, or ignores, just so that he can get revenge. His body is failing and he knows all he'll have left is his mind but he throws it all away because his pride and need for vengeance makes him impatiently gamble away his humanity. Or what little was left of it, because he clearly had grand designs a master plan to do terrible things long before he tried the neural interface.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I didn't notice it in my playthrough but after Norman cuts the budget right at the beginning, Otto immediately begins the Prison Breakout plans. Others posters told me if you go back regularly you can see designs for Rhyno's and Electro's new types of equipment, and other data referring to the other bad guys.

Otto doesn't start planning the breakout, he's actually getting funding by A) Designing weapons for AIM and B) Helping to improve the RAFT. Ironically he's able to modify those weapons for the six and since he helped improve the raft it made starting a breakout easier.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I really like the fights with (Spider-Man) The Sinister Six They are fun bosses.

I like that You fight them in pairs, first the two flyers, Electro and Vulture, then the HeavyWeights, Rhino and Scorpion, and finally the Geniuses are all that are left in Doc Ock and :negative: It makes them fun fights and they have a synergy that works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Flyers fight is an awesome fight that really plays to the strength of the gameplay in SpiderMan and makes you feel like "wow I'm really doing this, I can play like the floor is lava" but the HeavyWeights fight is kinda lame in comparison. Gameplay-wise the last boss is kinda disappointing too, doesn't really compare to how awesome the flyers felt.