Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
To be fair, Pip Torrens is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5gWOnu7tSA

Yomawari 3 is unsurprisingly getting translated later this year.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

My 14 year old thinks the Dark Pictures games are amazing and that the Curator is the coolest dude. And you know, good for him, it must be nice not to be a jaded misery guts like me going "Oh so the real monster is trauma is it? Hey game, am I the bad guy? Is it me, the player character who is the bad guy? Hmm?"

I would give up a lot to be able to enjoy horror the way I did when I was 14 again. Being hella jaded after watching and playing way too much horror over the past 25 years sucks.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

veni veni veni posted:

I would give up a lot to be able to enjoy horror the way I did when I was 14 again. Being hella jaded after watching and playing way too much horror over the past 25 years sucks.

this must be why recent "slow burn" horror games just seem boring as gently caress to me

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's more than just the content and our jadedness, streaming culture has shoved the entire genre into the crapper

so many horror games these days are judged on how well they make a youtube man pull a silly face

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oxxidation posted:

it's more than just the content and our jadedness, streaming culture has shoved the entire genre into the crapper

so many horror games these days are judged on how well they make a youtube man pull a silly face

I loving swear

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's definitely produced a lot more games that are light on gameplay. I like those games sometimes, but I think the best horror in games has to come from gameplay and the genre seems to have shifted heavily towards walking sims over survival horror.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

we need another rpg maker horror renaissance, stat :colbert:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm sorry but there is nothing more jaded and old than blaming "streaming culture"

I think a more salient point is the proliferation of game dev programs and engines over the past several years as well as asset stores. When anyone who is sufficiently stubborn can make a game, it turns out some of them are not very good at it and can only really copy something they've seen before.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 29, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I'm sorry but there is nothing more jaded and old than blaming "streaming culture"

try me, I’m sure I could find something

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Oxxidation posted:

try me, I’m sure I could find something

Millennials

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There are a lot of horror games out there that are nothing but lovely junp-scare simulators, sure. Cheap, low-budget nothings that exist almost entirely on the back of streamer purchases because the market often has lulls where they need content. Any genre will have a proliferation of poo poo, the only difference here is that you see more of these because streamers play them due to YouTube's algorithm relentless need for frequent content.

But there are also a good amount of horror games that are creative and compelling, atmospheric even on a budget, or unique in style or mechanics. The release of the most recent DreadX collection has shown some really interesting stuff, for example.

Edit: to clarify, streamer culture hasn't somehow made horror games bad, it's simply made the genre as a whole more visible, good and bad.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Streamers itt

E:https://twitter.com/DothTheDoth/status/1530938801593454592?t=uB3vKHSYmUXXTL0H_e5bNg&s=19

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 29, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Recent events have made me interested in the idea of a horror game about attempting to survive a mass shooter, as political/policy messaging toward gun control.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
there's a number of problems with modern horror games

I started to type up a huge rant but tl;dr my experience as a game dev who talks to a lot of game devs and consumes a lot of content about games, like, in a semi-professional but not especially successful capacity: the problem with modern horror games (and a lot of smaller genres / more niche media in general) is actually society

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Discendo Vox posted:

Recent events have made me interested in the idea of a horror game about attempting to survive a mass shooter, as political/policy messaging toward gun control.

I don't think you could make one that wouldn't end up with hundreds of videos on YouTube of people doing wacky poo poo with it. Someone would mod in a gun, some other guy is going to work out how to clip out of the level and watch events from outside the room, Markiplier is going to go OH NOOOOOOOO on facecam...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There's some indie dev called studio 616 or something like that and their output is just some of the worst garbage lol, like they all come across like knockoffs of knockoffs of puppet combo games. All the characters move around in the same slow way, they'll just use music or sound effects or assets from whatever, a lot of the stuff just doesn't really work. The end result is you end up with stuff like a protagonist whose model is just the scout model taken from tf2, repeated use of the "loud angry guy orgasm" meme noise as a death sound, a game where you go into a school and shoot up all of the students and then yourself as part of a cult initiation, and none of that even touches on how the stories for each game generally don't even have any kind of satisfying buildup, tension, payoff, or conclusion.

God their games just really suck. They seem to put them out very quickly too which is probably a contributing factor to why they suck.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Discendo Vox posted:

There are already tons of completely tasteless horror games, no need to wish for more.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Nothing scares me anymore, so I'm into things that are pervasively uneasy or unnerving rather than outright scary. Where are the horror games about routine cancer screening/custody battles/struggling with 30 year old student loan debt? The monster was my life decisions all along

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Lunatic Sledge posted:

the problem is actually society

:hmmyes:

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

treat posted:

The monster was my life decisions all along

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

treat posted:

Nothing scares me anymore, so I'm into things that are pervasively uneasy or unnerving rather than outright scary. Where are the horror games about routine cancer screening/custody battles/struggling with 30 year old student loan debt? The monster was my life decisions all along

This sort of thing is super common among horror literature right now, not sure why it isn't cropping up in games. It could work too, something like The Only Good Indians, where the monster is both a manifestation of the main characters' complete isolation from their Native American heritage and literally a weird shapeshifting spirit, could be pretty easily translated to an adventure game.

e: No Delivery and its upcoming sequel might count (horror games about lovely jobs) as does Night of the Consumers

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

treat posted:

Tbh then you get stuff like The Closing Shift where the ending is not cathartic since you're hosed no matter what you do

Or something like That Dragon, Cancer which I'm sure was very cathartic for the person making it, and also I would rather shove my hand in a blender than experience that by proxy.

I just saw a show on Netflix the other day that was an animated show about parents that lost their child in a school shooting, and I just wondered at who that could be possibly for. It was on the front page so someone, theoretically must be watching it, but I simply do not operate on the same plane as they do.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

treat posted:

Who's that horror even for? Most people live that poo poo every day on a regular basis.

Is it for younger people who haven't gone through that yet, or for people who must be so detached from those experiences that others' everyday must but horrifying to them?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The natural progression is Lara croft should experience breast cancer

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The result of weeks on the road, Lara Croft hasn't pooped in eight days and boy is she backed up.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

navigatr, welcome to the thread!!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There has to be a layer of abstraction in horror because just being literally the thing is Too Real

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Genuinely spooky game to keep an eye out for: [ToruTaru a procedurally generated labyrinth game with a Japanese aesthetic. Closest comparison is like feudal Japan backrooms with various Yokai that follow their own rules and onmyou magic. Crazy good sound design.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The cancer takes on the form of a teratoma monster called Anvil Chest.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Alright, I spared you one rant but I've got another one in me.

Realism / mundane horror is real hard to make work, not just because it's poo poo everyone already goes through and not just because it's easy to be distasteful, but also (and especially) because it's hard to convey just how ridiculous and terrifying real life can be. Student debt is scary but even if you exaggerate it, how do you really convey that fear? You can't perfectly replicate the experience- the best you can hope for is abstracting it with a similar but more self explanatory scenario that's scary for similar reasons, letting the player kind of piece together "oh this must be what [thing] is like," but at that point you're not doing mundanity or realism, you've made a Student Debt Monster. Which is fine, that sounds amazing, but we started off trying to do realistic and mundane horror.

That's not the deep, deep problem, though, that's the surface level. The real heart of the difficulty is that real life is often more ridiculous than fiction can get away with depicting.

I based the villain of my last webcomic- an interactive horror thing- on billionaire Peter Thiel. What I knew of the real person at the time were rumors of weird blood-based experiments, involving funding businesses that buy the blood of teenagers and sell it to old billionaires, for the purposes of staying young. Like, allegedly injecting himself with teenager blood to become immortal. I thought that sounded absolutely bonkers so I ran with it, exaggerating the concept into a sort of cyberpunk mad science Dracula. As the story progressed, I slowly realized that 99% of my villain's threat to the protagonist wasn't actually the cyberpunk Dracula bullshit, though- it kept being the fact that he was a billionaire. Mind controlling one person is scary, but like, money can buy off the media and the senators and the cops and yadda yadda yadda. Having a fortress that most of the public can't perceive is unsettling but not as unsettling as how easily a billionaire can hide having an entire island dedicated to grotesque and illegal poo poo for decades. How do you TOP that? What metaphorical monster is seriously worse than our actual monsters?

Let me tell you some quick things about Peter Thiel, things I learned after I loosely based a Dracula on him. This is poo poo a lot of you who keep up with politics and the economy and such probably already know, but humor me, because the size of the list is itself important to my point. The man- the real man, the actual human being Peter Thiel- was the first outside investor in Facebook. He co-founded Paypal. He helped fund Hulk Hogan's lawsuit against Gawker (it was an Alien vs Predator situation but tell me it's not insane). He founded Palantir Technologies, a company that's working with US intelligence to develop predictive policing poo poo. That's just off the top of my head. That's all on Wikipedia. No confirmation on the blood thing, but he is confirmed to have donated millions of dollars to life extension research and artificial intelligence, and plans to be cryogenically frozen.

He breaks my suspension of disbelief. Even if I had known all that about the real dude when I cooked up my own fictional billionaire blood monster, there's no way in hell I could also have tied him to some Minority Report bullshit for the government, AIs, Facebook and god drat Hulk Hogan. It would read as ridiculous. People would say I jumped the shark. Even typing it, I'm wondering if I smoked too much weed and hallucinated a whole billionaire.

I have- let's be generous and say genetic brain problems in real life. Nobody believes it. At least four doctors do, but few of my friends and none of my family "get it." There is no way I can explain it, depict it, or represent it that will ever get them to "get it." I say this as someone who has paid his bills with art, writing, AND game development for years, there's a limit on what someone can be convinced to feel. The actual diagnosis is so statistically rare that three out of four doctors danced around giving it to me directly and the fourth "isn't that kind of doctor" and the symptoms are all extremely easy to disregard as other issues, so easy in fact that it took me 30 years to question it myself. I would love to make a game that conveys the kind of fear I experience. The fact that it's real would never land, though, because nobody would be able to wrap their mind around the fact that it IS real. Even I can't sometimes. When I feel normal I sometimes have my doubts, and it's only when the FUCKNUTS comes back that I really know. A game about waking up and feeling like an entirely different person will never push what it really feels like the way, I don't know, a game about ACTUALLY waking up as a different person via magical bullshit probably would. Losing tiny but significant memories is loving terrifying in real life, but it loses its sting in a video game- you HAVE to beef it up, you HAVE to oversell it, because it only having a small impact on really important game events makes it feel like an unrealistic plot contrivance and not especially scary. "What are the odds he would VIVIDLY remember his mom slapping him, but not WHY?" The odds are 1:1 because it happened. She genuinely doesn't remember why she slapped me either. Real life is unrealistic.

On top of all of that, making realistic horror is nigh impossible to do tastefully, for much the same reasons above. My real story may read as fake (and following that, even a little offensive) to someone who's had a different experience with the same issues, or who has the same problem but better, or who has the same problem but worse. Mental illness is a spectrum- so is the suffering experienced through capitalism, and our corrupt police structure, and systematic racism, and I could go on forever. A true story has to walk a razor thin line between unimpressive and unbelievable, because if it falters, there was no point in telling a true story at all and you should've just gone with the Student Debt Monster. To end this on a funny, full circle type anecdote, I don't personally have any student debt because I never went to college- but I used to be friends/co-workers with a guy who did. We were both having to sell plasma on the weekends to cover bills.

Anyway, sorry for typing so much.

edit: also for making it so much about me, but I can't really avoid it when I talk about art or writing, that's just how I art and/or write

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 30, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
No, see, what you do is you keep the real life horror itself but in strictly a mechanical sense and then let the world around those mechanics be as unrealistic or exaggerated or reserved as you wish, so you can end up with things running the spectrum from Papers, Please to The Void to Don't poo poo Your Pants.

Actually successfully tying the reality horrors to proper game mechanics is an entirely separate and difficult issue though yeah :P

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
‎‎‎‎‎‎

VERY COOL MAN fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 17, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Steam has RE2 and RE3 on sale for 60% off (15.99$ each), I assume RE2 is worth it. What about RE3?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

MacheteZombie posted:

Steam has RE2 and RE3 on sale for 60% off (15.99$ each), I assume RE2 is worth it. What about RE3?

I'd go for it. It's quite a short game (especially if you don't replay RE games a bunch), but it's a good time and very well made.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RE3 is fine but as a scaled back experience released a year after the near perfection that is RE2make it was bound for some negative press but it's more of the same and at least that same is good.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
$16 is a perfect price for RE3R, I felt good getting it for $40 but I was obsessed with enjoying RE2R at the time and had finished my S+ runs when the first sale hit.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I finished the RE3 Remake on the weekend and I'd echo the other posts. It's definitely worth playing but you will be comparing it to the ambition of the RE2 Remake.

If I got it on release at full price assuming I was going to get an RE2 Remake worth of content I'd probably be a little annoyed due to the relatively short length, but overall it's a solid game and getting it on sale will probably take that sting out of it.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 31, 2022

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, R3make is good and it has the best version of Jill Valentine. Its issue was always that it was released as a full priced game. It would have been fine at 30, its practically a steal at just 15 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Lunatic Sledge posted:

He breaks my suspension of disbelief. Even if I had known all that about the real dude when I cooked up my own fictional billionaire blood monster, there's no way in hell I could also have tied him to some Minority Report bullshit for the government, AIs, Facebook and god drat Hulk Hogan. It would read as ridiculous. People would say I jumped the shark. Even typing it, I'm wondering if I smoked too much weed and hallucinated a whole billionaire.

This is your reminder that the villains in Leverage are toned DOWN from reality because test audiences wouldn't believe the poo poo the real rich and powerful do. :stare: