Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

on what. do you really think you're going to end up getting a game for less than (the game's on sale price this christmas or in the near future) - (the time it takes to farm and generate all those lovely gems)

I'm buying gems for the booster packs. I'll reach level 100 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Ragequit posted:

Eh, 10K gems will be plenty to mess around with, and only cost me $3. For those collecting 200K+ gems, you should get some help. That's at least $60 worth! Just buy whatever game you want! Holy moly.

I got 10k gems for $1. Gem bag prices are going down like crazy.

Edit: Back up to $.25 or so right now.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

on what. do you really think you're going to end up getting a game for less than (the game's on sale price this christmas or in the near future) - (the time it takes to farm and generate all those lovely gems)

I think it's really possible, but it's going to be some lovely indie game

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
please tell me this isn't the winter sale

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I just pumped a sizable amount of money into the market and now Steam won't let me convert or do anything really.

Cool poo poo. Got VALVOWNED

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

A Yolo Wizard posted:

You don't spend em on games, you sell em to idiots to spend on games. But not now, later, when people are desperate to snap up the last few copies left in the auctions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can I buy them with bitcoins yet?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cyra posted:

please tell me this isn't the winter sale

It seems like this might be the Winter sale. If it's not and there will also be a regular sale, I'd say its going to happen afterwards.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Fantastic. A way to get rid of all the stupid emoticons and wallpapers i'll never use to actually get cards that i will.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
the 18th was already leaked out. I imagine it will be concurrent, like every other metagame thing.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So with the power of lag you can dupe your gems!

From 72k to 144k

And again

Requires a browser, clicking on an item to bring up the confirmation message, then quickly press on another item which brings up another confirmation message and click on on that too. It's pretty random.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Im_Special posted:

From 72k to 144k

And again

Requires a browser, clicking on an item to bring up the confirmation message, then quickly press on another item which brings up another confirmation message and click on on that too. It's pretty random.

I don't get it. You're just clicking on things or are you converting them into gems?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm not going to bid, but I am going to turn my useless poo poo into gems for no reason. Thanks Steam!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

gamecards/335590/

The Holiday badge art this year is actually super cool and that makes me excited for what the different badge levels are going to look like!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ragequit posted:

Eh, 10K gems will be plenty to mess around with, and only cost me $3. For those collecting 200K+ gems, you should get some help. That's at least $60 worth! Just buy whatever game you want! Holy moly.

Eh, you can usually make decent money with very little time/effort if you get in early enough on these stupid gimmicks. I ended up turning like $15 worth of Steambux (all from trading cards) into close to $100 of Steambux during the summer sale. It's kind of fun when your seed money is fake money.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

If Valve thinks they can convince me to get rid of my Summer Getaway Sale Football Manager 2013 card by turning it into gems, they're sorely mistaken.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I can't even "communicate" with the Whatever-the-gently caress so this gems thing is meaningless to me right now.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Good thing they started this a couple days before the auction went live.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
How do you even get backgrounds/emotes? I only have cards and TF2 items in my inventory

this poo poo is nuts

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The non-transferrable item which turns your profile snowy and deletes itself in January is up to $75 (assuming a 3¢ = 100 gems exchange rate).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gyshall posted:

How do you even get backgrounds/emotes? I only have cards and TF2 items in my inventory

this poo poo is nuts

Have you never crafted a card set?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

The non-transferrable item which turns your profile snowy and deletes itself in January is up to $75 (assuming a 3¢ = 100 gems exchange rate).
If you can dupe gems then you're safer off assuming a 0c=100 gems rate

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey! I just bought SpaceBase DF9 on the DoubleFine sale, and they gifted me Hack&Slash for free! That's awesome. It sucks that DoubleFine laid off like, 12 people, but HEY FREE GAME

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Preemtive apology for the game with another DF game. :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey! I just bought SpaceBase DF9 on the DoubleFine sale, and they gifted me Hack&Slash for free! That's awesome. It sucks that DoubleFine laid off like, 12 people, but HEY FREE GAME

They also gave DF to all owners of Hack n Slash so

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Hack and Slash $4.50 worth of fun?

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
Anyone know much about the two recent Need For Speed games (Rivals and Most Wanted)? I want to race a buddy or two but want to make sure AI cars are included in the online races. One of the few things I didn't like about Burnout Paradise was that if you played with just a couple of buddies, there were no AIs racers in the races.

Also it seems like Most Wanted is more well-liked than Rivals, right? The powerups in Rivals seem too arcadey for me - are they absent from MW?

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008

awesmoe posted:

If you can dupe gems then you're safer off assuming a 0c=100 gems rate

Current price of 1000 gems on the market is fluxating around 9c for 1000 gems, so in reality 1c is worth about 110~, give or take.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
What is even happening?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is it even possible to buy gems, I keep getting errors

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey! I just bought SpaceBase DF9 on the DoubleFine sale

I am sorry to hear that. :laffo:

vmdvr posted:

Use that two bucks to buy 3 or 4 cent backgrounds and turn them into gems. Save gems until the last day of the auction. You'll come out ahead.

At this point backgrounds cost more than gems.

Im_Special posted:

From 72k to 144k

And again

I don't think this actually works.

Unfortunately. I'd have liked to get Valkyria Chronicles or something that wasn't absurdly overpriced.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 12, 2014

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

rargphlam posted:

Current price of 1000 gems on the market is fluxating around 9c for 1000 gems, so in reality 1c is worth about 110~, give or take.

I doubt very many people are actually managing to buy at those prices. I've had a buy order for like $0.14 for ages now and it's not being fulfilled.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Paradoxish posted:

I doubt very many people are actually managing to buy at those prices. I've had a buy order for like $0.14 for ages now and it's not being fulfilled.

Same. I have a buy order for approx. the same value and it has been sitting there for a while.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
How do you set buy orders anyways?

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
Just bought 2 gem bags for $.04. Using it to get trading cards 3 packs to resell for $.08 per card. PROFIT!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I bought 2 bucks of gems and managed to sell $3 in cards still have some left, too!

:freemarket:

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Anatharon posted:

How do you set buy orders anyways?

Community > Market > Click on an item (for example the bag of 1000 gems) > Click Buy, set price and number of units you want to buy > Wait for order to be fulfilled

^Edit: Guess you figured it out?^

Edit 2: Okay that's strange. My buy order is gone, the market page now says I have no (0) buy orders, whereas I had 1 before. Guess it's just a glitch because Steam is getting pummeled.

Edit 3: Looks like they've cancelled buy orders for the gems, along with removing the gem item, probably because of the dupe thing.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 12, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Anatharon posted:

At this point backgrounds cost more than gems.

I'm doubting it's even possible to buy gems, I placed an order at one point and it sat there until it disappeared and didn't give me poo poo. Didn't take any money away either, so at least there's that.

Also this is great if you're lucky enough to have games in your library with small cost for booster packs and high price for cards. If the game has like 10-20 cents per card, and only costs about 600 gems, then you can spend as little as $.06 (if you can actually buy a bag of gems) or as much as $.14 to get up to about $.60

My only regret is that you can only get one booster pack per game per day. I'd love to get $20 or so for the upcoming Steam sale through gem speculating :getin:

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
People are removing their listings almost as soon as you an buy it. Assbutts

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I tried to cancel my one gem bid but I cannot. I am currently the highest bidder for the profile thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Downs Duck posted:

Community > Market > Click on an item (for example the bag of 1000 gems) > Click Buy, set price and number of units you want to buy > Wait for order to be fulfilled

^Edit: Guess you figured it out?^

Edit 2: Okay that's strange. My buy order is gone, the market page now says I have no (0) buy orders, whereas I had 1 before. Guess it's just a glitch because Steam is getting pummeled.

I thought that was just regular buying. Is there no way to use the old method of buying now?

King Vidiot posted:

I'm doubting it's even possible to buy gems, I placed an order at one point and it sat there until it disappeared and didn't give me poo poo. Didn't take any money away either, so at least there's that.

Also this is great if you're lucky enough to have games in your library with small cost for booster packs and high price for cards. If the game has like 10-20 cents per card, and only costs about 600 gems, then you can spend as little as $.06 (if you can actually buy a bag of gems) or as much as $.14 to get up to about $.60

My only regret is that you can only get one booster pack per game per day. I'd love to get $20 or so for the upcoming Steam sale through gem speculating :getin:

It seems entirely arbitrary what something's worth. Like, my Awesomenauts trading cards were worth 8 gems.

• Locked thread