Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finally got around to finishing this guy today actually I have a few spots to clean up, but this is basically it:

The axe is supposed to look like a roughly hewn piece of Wraithbone fixed to a metal pole- a family heirloom!

Before pic from eBay:

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is it the original paint of the car or acrylic paint you have added that you are trying to strip?

The latter. Though once I put it onto the wheels, I kinda like it now so I might not strip it anymore?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I’m new and I see lots of things I would do differently but I made some progress on the dude. I have some touch up to do then I will add some wash.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ropes4u posted:

I’m new and I see lots of things I would do differently but I made some progress on the dude. I have some touch up to do then I will add some wash.

This is going to look great with some washes on the rivets and stuff man. A nice clean start like this is the path to a great model.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Ropes4u posted:

Your paint is clean and even in a way that experienced painters struggle with, be proud!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

DM me. I don’t want or need my DG half.

Sorry for the late response, shot you a PM!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Getting off to a good start on these troops. I'm really enjoying painting these models. I've never really done a dark coloured army and shading is actually fun plus pretty quick. I'm trying to keep my palette to purple, fuscia highlight, boltgun metal, nuln oil, silver and grey/black. Oh yeah plus the eventual lightning bolt feature.

Mistafab
May 15, 2009

Remember gitface when I promised to kill you last?

I LIED
Tried out painting one of my Dragon Princes! Took a while, but it was pretty fun, High Elves be pretty.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

JBP posted:

This is going to look great with some washes on the rivets and stuff man. A nice clean start like this is the path to a great model.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Your paint is clean and even in a way that experienced painters struggle with, be proud!

Thank you both for the encouragement.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mistafab posted:

Tried out painting one of my Dragon Princes! Took a while, but it was pretty fun, High Elves be pretty.

I’ve been playing TW:WH2 and I want a squad or two of Lothern Sea Guard to paint up now. Do you have any to show off, or know a place I can get them semi-reasonable?

Mistafab
May 15, 2009

Remember gitface when I promised to kill you last?

I LIED

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’ve been playing TW:WH2 and I want a squad or two of Lothern Sea Guard to paint up now. Do you have any to show off, or know a place I can get them semi-reasonable?

Unfortunately I don't know of a place to get any. If you look around you may be able to find the ones that came with one of the older starter boxes, the one that was Elves vs Skaven (I looked it up. Island of Blood). That's where I got mine. Lots of really nice models in it. Here's an old one I painted.

Mistafab fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 19, 2019

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Magnetic North posted:

The latter. Though once I put it onto the wheels, I kinda like it now so I might not strip it anymore?

Post a pic. Lemme see that car.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ropes4u posted:

Oh dude this is gonna look absolutely killer once the wash is on. Great job.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Does this base work? I think I like but also this base (and more like it) were made in a huge batch for my Space Wolves. I feel like it works ok but would like suggestions. I gave my EC purple men those metallic GW industrial bases and tore them off though because the colour looked poo poo on them.

E: I can easily make street and urban bases using this asphalt/black rock Vallejo basing poo poo as well. It's actually growing on me the more I look at it and I like matching bases across my armies...

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 20, 2019

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah that's rad, it's a nice splash of color that fits into the rest of the scheme well and it's just muted enough to pop without becoming the focal point.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Cross-posting some Custodes I finished up for Kill Team.

edit: Also cross-posting the warpspawn picture that Photoshop spit out when I messed up an image auto-blend by not aligning the source images.

And when I don't screw up Photoshop:

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 20, 2019

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Indolent Bastard posted:

Post a pic. Lemme see that car.

Here it is just resting on the chassis, where I think it looks okay.

This is where I think it looks bad, just on its own. The wash pooled in ways that look kinda barfy, like the big dark blots on the driver's side rear armor.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JBP posted:

Does this base work? I think I like but also this base (and more like it) were made in a huge batch for my Space Wolves. I feel like it works ok but would like suggestions. I gave my EC purple men those metallic GW industrial bases and tore them off though because the colour looked poo poo on them.

E: I can easily make street and urban bases using this asphalt/black rock Vallejo basing poo poo as well. It's actually growing on me the more I look at it and I like matching bases across my armies...

Rim it in black and I think you have a winner.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
It was a vision thing.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
:prepop:

Jesus poo poo

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Waiting for the post to arrive because I mistakenly ordered stuff to be delivered the day I was off not the day I had ear marked for painting. So while waiting I've quickly painted up the Branchwych from the Sylvaneth SC box so that I can say I've painted everything in it (besides the fact I bought a 2nd). The Aelves with the glowing weapons and poo poo earlier were added to the list for variation.

As soon as the post arrives i'll be taking on a Kharadron Warband.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Thanqol posted:

It was a vision thing.

Holy gently caress. Amazing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It looks like my Spellcrow order will take a while to arrive, so I started this guy yesterday:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I did a piece for Goonhammer about the simple little OSL effects I've been doing: https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-quick-and-easy-osl-the-20-min-methods/ (there's even colours in there that aren't blue).

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Double-Post. The Kharadron dudes arrived earlier so I've decided to go with this scheme.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up the other half of the battletech starter box:

Excited for whenever there other plastic minis come out.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Today's painting is for the latest Codex chasers

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've noticed nuln oil is leaving a shiny finish, which is annoying because it's the non gloss version. I don't varnish my minis generally, but if I use Matt Vallejo to seal them is it going to dull everything down or change the metals? I'll try a test model but want to know what I should think about when I do it.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

JBP posted:

I've noticed nuln oil is leaving a shiny finish, which is annoying because it's the non gloss version. I don't varnish my minis generally, but if I use Matt Vallejo to seal them is it going to dull everything down or change the metals? I'll try a test model but want to know what I should think about when I do it.

Yeah usually it does take the sheen out of your metals, usually doesn't *change* them though unless you're really hosing them down. If you're really worried about it I find putting a layer of gloss varnish over your metal parts helps them keep their luster when sealing. Speaking of sealing, if you're just wanting to hit certain parts of the model with matte Vallejo/Testors both make brush on matte varnishes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Brock Samsonite posted:

Yeah usually it does take the sheen out of your metals, usually doesn't *change* them though unless you're really hosing them down. If you're really worried about it I find putting a layer of gloss varnish over your metal parts helps them keep their luster when sealing. Speaking of sealing, if you're just wanting to hit certain parts of the model with matte Vallejo/Testors both make brush on matte varnishes.

I think I'll probably airbrush these to seal them. I might try satin as a mid point as the purple I've used has a bit of sheen that I like. I'll do a couple of tests on metal with and without a gloss coat, thanks.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

JBP posted:

I've experienced this sort of glossing with nongloss shades when I haven't shaken them up enough. Matte varnish will dull things a little bit, maybe test it out somewhere before committing it to a finished mini if you're concerned?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Texmo posted:

I've experienced this sort of glossing with nongloss shades when I haven't shaken them up enough. Matte varnish will dull things a little bit, maybe test it out somewhere before committing it to a finished mini if you're concerned?

you might also want to try simply brushing an acrylic medium (completely clear) onto the trouble spots.

GW's Lahmian Medium, Liquitex matte medium etc etc

Gunder
May 22, 2003

JBP posted:

Nuln oil, and some other washes can dry shiny if you don't shake them up properly before use. If you turn the pot upside down and notice sediment sticking to the bottom, that's the stuff you need to re-integrate. Shake the poo poo out of it until that stuff is all or mostly gone. This is the most common reason for shades drying shiny. Basically, as far as I remember, the matting agent in the washes will sometimes separate a bit and settle at the bottom.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gunder posted:

Nuln oil, and some other washes can dry shiny if you don't shake them up properly before use. If you turn the pot upside down and notice sediment sticking to the bottom, that's the stuff you need to re-integrate. Shake the poo poo out of it until that stuff is all or mostly gone. This is the most common reason for shades drying shiny. Basically, as far as I remember, the matting agent in the washes will sometimes separate a bit and settle at the bottom.

Yeah, I didn't realize that I needed to shake my shades just as much as my paints, my second skeleton was super shiny :doh:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I've had that happen ages ago to my Company Command Squad as they suddenly turned out super shiny from either an Nuln or Agrax wash.
Still don't think I've fixed that but they're in storage anyway.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Yeast posted:

you might also want to try simply brushing an acrylic medium (completely clear) onto the trouble spots.

GW's Lahmian Medium, Liquitex matte medium etc etc

This also does the trick, but lahmian medium (I haven't tried the others) can also end up drying a little bit frosty if you let it pool too much.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've brushed on a bit of Vallejo matte varnish and it's done the trick. I shook Up the bottle a lot and it seems a little better but still a little bit shiny. Easy to fix on obvious areas though.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
So, I painted up 5 squig hopper dudes and the goblin warband from shadespire to function as a warcy team. Didn't take any photos of the shadespire guys but heres the squig hoppers:

I painted the shadespire goblins first and did the robes thinned leviadon blue and then thinned ultramarine blue on top of that. I realised that I wasn't getting the consistency of that right so these guys are thinned leviadon and then straight ultramarine blue - it gave the robes a solid, saturated colour but dimmed the contrast highlight effect quite a bit, so I gave them some quick edge highlights with the kantor blue highlight (altaioc I think?). Everything else is contrast paint, leadbelcher or agrax earthshade.

Going to grab some tufts for the bases at some point, but for now I start work on the Iron Golems.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hey, not sure this is really the ideal thread for this question as its more assembly than painting. I am crawling through my collection and slowly pinning everything that keeps breaking to hold it together, and boy I am getting tired of working a pin vice by hand on some of these metal miniatures. I realized that I can probably use a dremel and some bits to make this a lot quicker - does anyone do this, and if so are there recommendations for a good dremel and bit set? Or is this a bad idea and that extra power means I'll be blasting holes through stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Hey, not sure this is really the ideal thread for this question as its more assembly than painting. I am crawling through my collection and slowly pinning everything that keeps breaking to hold it together, and boy I am getting tired of working a pin vice by hand on some of these metal miniatures. I realized that I can probably use a dremel and some bits to make this a lot quicker - does anyone do this, and if so are there recommendations for a good dremel and bit set? Or is this a bad idea and that extra power means I'll be blasting holes through stuff?

I use a "powered screwdriver" with a hex to Chuck adapter for bits because I don't trust myself with full Dremel/drill power for drilling holes. It has a lot less torque, but it's enough for minis.