Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079945/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg#certification

Imdb posted:

United States:G (certificate #26364) 

United States:PG (director's cut)

I am nearly certain that scream was in the theatrical cut exactly as we remember. I wonder wtf it was about the director's cut that got in a PG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Owlbear Camus posted:

Shanghaied disco medallion hobo Travolta chic McCoy rules.

He's seen some poo poo.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
McCoy just straight up rules. He's seen some poo poo even before the show loving started. There's some dumbass Trek book I read about Kirk (ghostwritten by Shatner!) that has an ancient McCoy with a exo-skeletal life support system and he still is fuckin' pissed as hell that someone is making him do doctor poo poo. He's old! OLD! Stop making him do poo poo!

To be honest, I'd really like to watch the "someone's stolen Neelix's lungs!" scene with McCoy. Because I think that he'd just shrug and that'd be the loving end of Neelix. And then everyone would loving rejoice.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

He's dead, Jim.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

At the start of TOS it seemed to operate like a real blue water ship. Then it got off the deep end. And now here we are.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
During my TNG rewatch I vowed to not skip any episodes since I usually end up skipping 30-40 or more.

My vow was broken during the cringefest that is Geordi creeping on the real Leah Brahms.

"Hey, i make your favorite food!"
"That's weird that you know that!"

"Come to my quarters for smooth jazz and dark lighting"
"This is weird! Can we just talk about work?"

"Let me finish your sentences with intimate knowledge of your life."
"This is also really weird!"

"Do you want to get together?
"Since you are a stalker that knows everything about me I thought you knew I was married."

"How DARE you give me poo poo for this holographic representation of you."
"It's kinda weird how it's talking about being touched and wanting to give back rubs!"

"I guess I did creep on that hologram and you"
"I'm sorry for being such a bitch, lol."

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Geordi did a lot wrong, but the hologram wasn't his fault. The computer gave him that hologram.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
The computer gives a dynamic hologram that responds to the user. If Data had been the one making the Leah Brahms hologram she would have just stiffly recited information. If the blank hologram learns to try and cook you food and starts talking about being inside of it and touching it then it is your fault completely.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

VictorianQueerLit posted:

The computer gives a dynamic hologram that responds to the user. If Data had been the one making the Leah Brahms hologram she would have just stiffly recited information. If the blank hologram learns to try and cook you food and starts talking about being inside of it and touching it then it is your fault completely.

Precedent suggests if Data did it the hologram would have become self aware, taken over the ship, stuffed into a memory crystal like being confined to solitary for several years, escaped again, took over the ship again, and then stuffed into a holographic fake reality.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Computer, create a hologram capable of making a perv put of Data

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Precedent suggests if Data did it the hologram would have become self aware, taken over the ship, stuffed into a memory crystal like being confined to solitary for several years, escaped again, took over the ship again, and then stuffed into a holographic fake reality.

Actually that was also Geordi's fault.
I just assumed that the Enterprise computer was always a bit malevolent, but in a passive aggressive way.
"Computer where is Commander Riker?"
"Commander Riker is no longer on board."
"Why didn't you tell me before?"
"You didn't ask."

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
How did the Darmok aliens design ships as powerful as the enterprise, or come up with any complicated technology at all?

Are their math equations also references?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I just assumed that the Enterprise computer was always a bit malevolent, but in a passive aggressive way.
"Computer where is Commander Riker?"
"Commander Riker is no longer on board."
"Why didn't you tell me before?"
"You didn't ask."

I wonder if maybe they deliberately restrict the computer from having initiative as a means of trying to prevent the computer from spontaneously developing sapience.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

How did the Darmok aliens design ships as powerful as the enterprise, or come up with any complicated technology at all?

Since maths is a universal language if you mention it the whole thing falls apart.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Understanding, when Picard tapped the Fibonacci sequence

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Maybe they counted using names.

Darmok and rigard at tenagra.

Rican, demar, tupva, mertok, yaltov, and frunt on the ocean.

Darmok, rigard, Rican, demar, tupva, mertok, yaltov, and frunt at tenagra.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Well that's easy, they simply Asganad at the foundry and the heavenly secrets of Balator.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Man, I will never get tired of the "Computer, create...capable of...Data" jokes.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

During my TNG rewatch I vowed to not skip any episodes since I usually end up skipping 30-40 or more.

My vow was broken during the cringefest that is Geordi creeping on the real Leah Brahms.

"Hey, i make your favorite food!"
"That's weird that you know that!"

"Come to my quarters for smooth jazz and dark lighting"
"This is weird! Can we just talk about work?"

"Let me finish your sentences with intimate knowledge of your life."
"This is also really weird!"

"Do you want to get together?
"Since you are a stalker that knows everything about me I thought you knew I was married."

"How DARE you give me poo poo for this holographic representation of you."
"It's kinda weird how it's talking about being touched and wanting to give back rubs!"

"I guess I did creep on that hologram and you"
"I'm sorry for being such a bitch, lol."

Incredible. Have you ever considered a career in writing synopses?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

EvilTaytoMan posted:

My wife and I had a good couple of laughs about this because of my sad Voyager halfassed-watch two years ago.

"Computer where is--"
'THAT PERSON IS NO LONGER ON THE SHIP'

"Computer, why is energy being diverted from the Life Suppo--"
'UNIDENTIFIED LIFE FORMS ARE ACCESSING THE EPS SUBSYSTEM'

The best NoPrize we came up with was that, much like a web-connected camera with motion sensing, the verbosity of the stock Fed Computer is so annoying that everyone turns off Locate Me and Population Scan so that they don't constantly get messages popping up.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

He still has the bodyscan.holo file of Tasha right?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I still say the ship developed sentience and was in love with it's cheif engineer.

That's why it was like "When you're touching the engine you're touching me"

Geordie said in a previous episode that he once fell in love on the holodeck but got over it.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvilTaytoMan posted:

When the TOS computer got let off its leash, it was a total dickbag

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I wonder if maybe they deliberately restrict the computer from having initiative as a means of trying to prevent the computer from spontaneously developing sapience.

This makes sense considering how easily holodeck characters gain sapience by saying the wrong words or leaving them running too long.
I mean can you imagine what would happen if this gained sapience?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/aiWjhvr.mp4

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 17, 2018

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

This makes sense considering how easily holodeck characters gain sapience by saying the wrong words or leaving them running too long.
I mean can you imagine what would happen if this gained sapience?

https://i.imgur.com/aiWjhvr.mp4

would

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
how come they had 3 dimensional chess and checkers but no 3d poker?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

how come they had 3 dimensional chess and checkers but no 3d poker?

its called yahtzee you stupid MOTHERFUCKER

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

look at these goons who front like they're star trek nerds but they never heard of sabaac

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
more interested in strategema myself

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

communism bitch posted:

its called yahtzee you stupid MOTHERFUCKER

never saw them playing yahtzee

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

simplefish posted:

lol Keiko just got introduced and her first line is getting cold feet and backing out of her wedding to Potatoes on the very morning of it, and not even having the decency to te him face to face or even calling him on the communicator, but sending the emotionless android to deliver the message

Let's see how this plays out, but it's looking like it explains an awful lot of DS9 and fan perception of her as a major bitch

keiko is the worst person in star trek

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Actually, she isn't, but some (online) star trek fans have a really weird hateboner for her.

It's a lot like the Skyle(a)r hate from BB, I've noticed. It's strange.

Oddly enough, not a single fellow female relative I've convinced to watch either DS9 or BB have hated either Keiko or Skyler, and found my anecdotes about how much certain swathes of the fanbases hate them (first Skyler, because BB is easier to convince people to watch, then Keiko, because Trek is a bit longer of a leap of faith for a normal person) to be very amusing in a certain sort of way.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Things Keiko has done wrong so far in my rewatch of DS9, up to the middle of season 2:

1. Try to feed that Cardassian orphan raised on bajor a traditional Cardassian meal. Uh, did you not get the memo on that Keiko? Read the room! That one really wasn't your place!

2. Teach that Galileo was killed by the Catholic Church for his heliocentrism. That's just inaccurate Keiko.

3. Your vacation to Earth for your grandma's 100th birthday was way too long! Because of you we had to get to know Lt. George Priven Starfleet security

Other than that she's been a loving and supportive wife, has saved OBrien and Bashirs life, and seems like she and Miles have sex regularly and fight over reasonable things any normal couple fights over.

oops number 2 was me

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Keiko is generally fine, but I like to make fun of her because it makes O'Brian's life seem more pathetic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Things Keiko hasn't done:

1. Sexually groom a one-year old.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Remember that time Keiko was possessed by a hostile alien that tortured obrien to make him comply and nobody else really noticed

sure you do

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
that was a good episode

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Keiko was actually a pretty good and understanding wife. She was aware that O'Brien had needs that only Bashir could fill and set them up together on more than one occasion. :heysexy:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The worst bits with Keiko are all in TNG, not DS9.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
In the game Zero Time Dilemma there comes a point where the two remaining characters find a couple transporter pods. It’s explained that it works by scanning a person and transmitting the data to a receiver in the time and universe you choose. If you choose to use the pods, the story will branch and there is no telling if you will continue the story following the originals, or following the newly “printed” couple where they end up.

It’s a cool way to use gameplay to make you think about how consciousness would work in this situation. Would it be YOU that gets to make the trip to a better life or would you be the one that gets the shaft and starves to death in a hole.