Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
So Phil is tanking the trade value of Melo, alienating the one rising star on the team in Porzingis, and giving even the slightest actual thought to donating more money to the Derrick Rose Charity for Athletes Who Can't Score Good. Very cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pop's irritation with the three is that it was a weird gimmick to draw more viewers that somehow stuck around. There's not other sport to my knowledge that earns you more points because you scored from further away.

Hah, a few other leagues struggling for attendance have tried it. Non-NFL football has a few four point field goals and I swear I saw a distance circle when I was watching those Aussie Rules Football clips. That sport rules, although I don't exactly know the rules.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

EvanTH posted:

Hah, a few other leagues struggling for attendance have tried it. Non-NFL football has a few four point field goals and I swear I saw a distance circle when I was watching those Aussie Rules Football clips. That sport rules, although I don't exactly know the rules.

AFL is just more violent Calvinball as far as I can tell

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Eh Melo's done a pretty good job tanking his own trade value over the last few seasons

AFL is just more violent Calvinball as far as I can tell

Haha yeah, it's kinda great isn't it

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
“Derrick has expressed hopes coming back," Jackson said. "We have some options. Derrick is a scoring guard first and foremost, organizing, leading, stuff like that is not particularly his strength. As a scorer, he is unparalleled."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Rick posted:

Yeah, you're right, Phil Jackson was smart enough to decide first to use it even if he didn't like it which is why he won all the playoff series against Pop that didn't include Kobe Bryant having a major injury.
Thank god the Knicks will end this silly debate once and for all once they're in the rearview as a stain on his legacy and Pop wins at least two more rings :colbert:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Cool Buff Man posted:

“Derrick has expressed hopes coming back," Jackson said. "We have some options. Derrick is a scoring guard first and foremost, organizing, leading, stuff like that is not particularly his strength. As a scorer, he is unparalleled."

"Now, to settle in and watch the newest episode of Breaking Bad"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
p.s. My body is ready. It's that wonderful time of year again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUmuEDO2gFA
(I wish they'd done these every year, there were some real good ones)

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/8pts9secs/status/853012866668081152

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

EvanTH posted:

Eh Melo's done a pretty good job tanking his own trade value over the last few seasons

Haha yeah, it's kinda great isn't it

AFL rules. My friends and I got super into it one summer before tv streaming got real big and all we got were obscure international sports on ESPN3. AFL, sepak takraw, etc

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I didn't see a playoff GDT so I made one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817202

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Papercut posted:

Phil Jackson's take on the three should be the final arbiter in the "Popovich or Jackson" debate.

Hey now, let's not hold his GMing against his coaching!

If you read between the lines of all these old school guys, they are just salty that the 3, a roleplayers(white?) skill, has risen to such prominence. Phil is especially salty that his protege/former player has enjoyed such success and knocked off one of his records. He blames the 3, and views it as cheap, because Kerr couldn't possibly of had better players than him, or created a better system.

I think Jalen Rose mentioned once that Phil doubled the rate of coaching salaries, so he did something for labor there! And he saw Kerr's potential when we made fun of him.

I don't really blame Phil for being stubborn, he's not out there taking these losses, so it is unknown if he would remain so stubborn if he suffered humiliating losses after humiliating loss.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

poo poo so did I. Keep yours.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

EvanTH posted:

That semi circle in AFL mostly means nothing, except that in the preseason comp that means nothing, occasionally they trial new rules and one of the ones they've trialled in the past was a 'Super Goal' worth nine points if you kick it from out there.

I kinda liked that change but most of the 'purists' (old dumb people) were all like NO STOP CHANGING THE SPORT IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE CHANGED DON'T BREAK WHAT ISN'T FIXED WHY ARE WE LETTING BLACK PEOPLE AND WOMEN PLAY THIS SPORT NOW NEXT THING YOU KNOW WE'LL BE GIVING THEM THE VOTE AND PEEING SITTING DOWN

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Chairchucker posted:

That semi circle in AFL mostly means nothing, except that in the preseason comp that means nothing, occasionally they trial new rules and one of the ones they've trialled in the past was a 'Super Goal' worth nine points if you kick it from out there.

I kinda liked that change but most of the 'purists' (old dumb people) were all like NO STOP CHANGING THE SPORT IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE CHANGED DON'T BREAK WHAT ISN'T FIXED WHY ARE WE LETTING BLACK PEOPLE AND WOMEN PLAY THIS SPORT NOW NEXT THING YOU KNOW WE'LL BE GIVING THEM THE VOTE AND PEEING SITTING DOWN

International Rules is a lot of fun, and a good way to have guys try different things.

I play/coach Gaelic football and we play the local Aussie team twice a year, it's always a ton of fun.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/bioach/status/853329894515896320

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Chairchucker posted:

stfu

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

no

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Boston is complaining about being disrespected how cute

Try being one of the last four teams left and not being on espn graphics packages you entitled assholes

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Lessail posted:

Boston is complaining about being disrespected how cute

Try being one of the last four teams left and not being on espn graphics packages you entitled assholes

That Grizzlies feel

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I came around on Spo not deserving CotY because if Winslow never got hurt he would have let him had the worst shooting season in NBA history.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I only managed to catch a couple snippets of Pacers Cavaliers, are Cavs still coasting and going to take the whole first round to pop into gear like the Heat used to do (as I recall one time against the Pacers actually)

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

chunkles posted:

I only managed to catch a couple snippets of Pacers Cavaliers, are Cavs still coasting and going to take the whole first round to pop into gear like the Heat used to do (as I recall one time against the Pacers actually)

if PG keeps playing that well it could be a series, maybe

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

chunkles posted:

That was round 2. Heat beat the 76ers, Knicks, Nets, andl Bucks easily in the 1st round.

Detroit last year had a close game 1 against the Cavs but ultimately fell in 4.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The pistons kept it pretty close all series really

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

AggressivelyStupid posted:

The pistons kept it pretty close all series really

Yeah they did. Much closer series than the sweep would lead you to believe.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Even Game 4 came down to the last shot

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Strawberry Panda posted:

That was round 2. Heat beat the 76ers, Knicks, Nets, andl Bucks easily in the 1st round.

Detroit last year had a close game 1 against the Cavs but ultimately fell in 4.

Man for some reason I thought '13 was way touchier for the Heat than it actually was. I think Chris Bosh had some kind of injury and they went 4-3 with the Pacers, but they basically steamrolled the Bucks and Bulls.

e: Now that I remember it, that Bucks series was basically the quintessential Eastern Conference is trash series.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 15, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I choose to believe in the reality where the Grizzlies and Pacers faced off in the finals

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

chunkles posted:

Man for some reason I thought '13 was way touchier for the Heat than it actually was. I think Chris Bosh had some kind of injury and they went 4-3 with the Pacers, but they basically steamrolled the Bucks and Bulls.

e: Now that I remember it, that Bucks series was basically the quintessential Eastern Conference is trash series.

That was '12. They beat the Knicks and Bosh went down. Then they were down 2-1 to the Pacers when Spo got the bright idea to start Battier at center and LeBron at PF rather than rely on the likes of Dexter Pittman.

They then got down 3-2 to the Celtics and LeBron had his amazing game 6. And then they beat the Thunder in 5.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

I choose to believe in the reality where the Grizzlies and Pacers faced off in the finals

My dude

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Also when I was trying to remember the Heat first round matchups I forgot about the Bucks despite me going to Milwaukee to see those games and the Bucks being on my TV right now.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/853366121805885440

chunkles posted:

I think the Cavs defense is just bad.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

giannis that aint fair

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Me too, brother. Me too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

I choose to believe in the reality where the Spurs and Hawks faced off in the finals
Forever
Until it killed the NBA (3 years)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

IT2's sister was just killed in a car crash :(

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Redgrendel2001 posted:

IT2's sister was just killed in a car crash :(

gently caress. That is awful.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
terrible