Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Lobok posted:

What am I missing with the Dominator vs bots? Tried it today and I regretted it so much but thankfully it was just a Blitz so I didn't have it for long.

it can 1 to 2 shot devastators if you aim well. i use it all the time vs bots. can also kill striders from the front if well aimed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
A lot of stuff kills devastators in either 1 headshot or a small enough amount for their RoF that it's kinda equivalent. JAR's performance against them isn't that great besides staggering them, and it's pretty mediocre vs troopers so I think it's a bit overrated against bots. The main situation I'd take it is for bugs, specifically killing medium bugs like brood commanders and especially bile spewers with headshots.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rawrbomb posted:

lol no. Its miserable. You just get overwhelmed if you didn't bring the specific loadout. Remember as you clear objectives on the map, it lowers the spawn timers further.

So instead of a duo player match having spawns every 5~ minutes, they get them every 2:45~ baseline. As you clear objectives, this timer goes down. 1, 2, and 3, player groups now deal with the same amount of patrols as 4 players. But with 4 players, its trivial to deal with between waves, compared to 1 and 2 player groups.

I played duo last night and it felt good, but that was on a very low difficulty (4 iirc). Not sure I would have wanted too many more patrols.

I love the customisable difficulty and the way it doesn't make that much difference to the rewards, like you get more xp and req and you collect the fancy samples. but it still has a similar sense of progression.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

psilo posted:

I just bought the game a couple of days ago and wanted to get some cool gun to run around with, so I also bought the warbond with sickle. Then I googled if the plasma punisher is any good and it was hated a lot in several youtube videos + reddit. This games subreddit seems to be super whiny and contains very little useful information... anyways, I used some warbond credits to buy the plasma punisher and it's been my favourite weapon since, especially against the bots. So, what are the best places for up-to-date information regarding the game? Show me the spreadsheets!

yeah I suspect the devs being approachable has fostered a SCREAM EARLY AND OFTEN approach to posting, which is unfortunate

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Starship Troopers is on US Netflix now.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Dominator's my choice of primary for bots. Onetapping little guys is nice, but it's accurate and damaging enough to pop devastator heads, and staggers even if you miss, including berserkers. Medium pen to stagger striders. Blows exposed radiators quick enough, lots of ammo.

Today's personal order is 60 AMR kills so I figured it was time to give it a fair shake, but the benefit of being able to take a shield pack was nowhere near worth it compared to the autocannon. Two-body-shots on devastators was nice, as was reloading on the move. But it did jack all against gunships, can't blow up factories so I couldn't take stun grenades for hulks, and ran out of ammo many times. It feels like a gun to augment your primary, but the AC is so good it flatly replaces it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think my favorite thing to do with Devistators is to just disable them by shooting off their rocket pods and/or gun arms at range and then just peacing out on them. Don't even bother finishing them off.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lobok posted:

What am I missing with the Dominator vs bots? Tried it today and I regretted it so much but thankfully it was just a Blitz so I didn't have it for long.

One shots the bot troopers, even on the body
Staggers Devestators and Beserkers
Penetrates gunship engine armor
Can lightly penetrate the weak point of turrets/tanks.

It basically covers the majority of the bot roster, and when paired with something like the AC you can engage all bot targets(except tanks) from any angle.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

sebmojo posted:

I played duo last night and it felt good, but that was on a very low difficulty (4 iirc). Not sure I would have wanted too many more patrols.

I love the customisable difficulty and the way it doesn't make that much difference to the rewards, like you get more xp and req and you collect the fancy samples. but it still has a similar sense of progression.

We're about level 15, and it just really feels like a sudden shift from prepatch. Some missions are fine, others you can get quickly screwed no matter what it feels like. I'm very sure some of this is being new players effectively, with not a ton of options and upgrades unlocked. Not that we don't have any, but we haven't left the first warbond yet nor earned enough in game to buy another one.

I'm having a ton of fun in general, but a few of the last games have felt like slogs.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

AndyElusive posted:

I think my favorite thing to do with Devistators is to just disable them by shooting off their rocket pods and/or gun arms at range and then just peacing out on them. Don't even bother finishing them off.

My favorite thing is the way they die to headshots. Just a screaming gout of flame as their souls escape.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Grayshift posted:

Dominator's my choice of primary for bots. Onetapping little guys is nice, but it's accurate and damaging enough to pop devastator heads, and staggers even if you miss, including berserkers. Medium pen to stagger striders. Blows exposed radiators quick enough, lots of ammo.

big same. i like the punisher plasma as well (now that you can run a shield with it) but the dom is just so versatile. scope in and pop heads until you get overwhelmed then mag dump whatever's in front of you to stagger it enough to back up.

terrible for bugs but great for bots.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you disable them, does it prevent more from spawning?

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

One shots the bot troopers, even on the body
Staggers Devestators and Beserkers
Penetrates gunship engine armor
Can lightly penetrate the weak point of turrets/tanks.

It basically covers the majority of the bot roster, and when paired with something like the AC you can engage all bot targets(except tanks) from any angle.

I prefer sickle or diligence CS when I'm running AC because I want something that can mow down the little guys really quickly. Don't see the utility in bringing something that the AC can already do better tbh. Would definitely use the dominator if I was using something like the quasar or laser cannon though.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

sebmojo posted:

yeah I suspect the devs being approachable has fostered a SCREAM EARLY AND OFTEN approach to posting, which is unfortunate

there's just no way that we, the users of somethingawful.com, could have foreseen this

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

If you disable them, does it prevent more from spawning?

Not sure but I'm gonna say probably not.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

terrible for bugs but great for bots.
Dominator is great on bugs too as long as you don't get the Oops All Hunters spawn table.

And even there it's okay since you frequently one shot them

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009
Sorry that this muddies the waters even further, but even if the devs wanted to curtail solo play (they almost certainly don't) I would understand them straight up lying about it to avoid the ridiculous backlash from the whinier contingent of the playerbase, who have somehow warped their minds into thinking it's a moral failing either to shape their game into the thing they want it to be, or to accidentally shape it into something less enjoyable than its imagined perfect state. For everyone's sake those players should just take a break.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I prefer sickle or diligence CS when I'm running AC because I want something that can mow down the little guys really quickly. Don't see the utility in bringing something that the AC can already do better tbh. Would definitely use the dominator if I was using something like the quasar or laser cannon though.

agree those are both better choices to pair with AC

diligence CS can take out devs with headshots in a pinch, which is nice. you’re not defenseless if you die and lose your AC

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

came in from a reinforcement and landed on a stalker nest and destroyed it :aaa:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s coming

https://x.com/pilestedt/status/1789406952243577164?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

sebmojo posted:

I think the issue people have with patrol changes is related to how difficulty affects content, rather than rewards.

When the change to patrols was first announced one of my friends was annoyed about it in discord, I said "don't worry, we'll just solo/duo on 4-6 instead of 7-9, it'll be fine" which sounded reasonable at the time but in practice 4-6 drops are pretty dull if you're used to the intensity and variety of encounters and objectives on 7-9, even with increased patrol rates.

7-9 now feel super hectic in terms of pacing for solo/duo, while the individual encounters themselves are fun and manageable the downtime between them has been removed and that can feel pretty exhausting. It means a certain set of players who liked playing a certain way now feel a bit adrift, I guess. The duo partner and I don't really know what difficulty to choose when we boot the game up anymore because now it's either "fun but completely knackering" or "calm and pedestrian" and the little groove we'd been in for a couple of months is no longer there. If the game had been like this since launch we might not have known what we were missing, of course, but it's hard to shake 2 months of expectations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah that's been my experience as a primarily duo player. We can still win at 7 consistently, but there's no downtime. The rhythm of the game is off. There's no longer the moments of calm to appreciate the cool fight you just won. It's frequently just a slogging fight the whole mission. And while that's ok sometimes, it's not really something I can or want to do all the time. If I did I'd have been playing at 8 or 9.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

That's just personal preference. To me, mowing down little guys really quickly involves one-shotting them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aright, I'll give the Dominator another go against bots at some point. Maybe my aim was just crap. Had a pretty poor performance in missions all day, after all, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dominator is hard to use because of its patented Slow BulletsTM but they still hit good

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Astrochicken posted:

there's just no way that we, the users of somethingawful.com, could have foreseen this

i may have murmured ah yes qcs :discourse: as i read some of the recent reddit posts

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Lobok posted:

Aright, I'll give the Dominator another go against bots at some point. Maybe my aim was just crap. Had a pretty poor performance in missions all day, after all, so I wouldn't be surprised.

It’s got some sway that can make it hard to hit bot troopers at mid to long range. So you have to play around that.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Make sure to set your Dominator to burst fire, that helps a lot when the Berserkers come. The new pistol from the latest warbond is a really good compliment to it. It's got enough power and rate of fire to deal with small bots or take down berserkers if you run dry on the primary.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Away all Goats posted:

That's just personal preference. To me, mowing down little guys really quickly involves one-shotting them.
diligence CS also oneshots the little guys but with way better handling, bullet velocity, and magsize than dominator

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Video Nasty posted:

came in from a reinforcement and landed on a stalker nest and destroyed it :aaa:

Did you get stuck in the bug hole? :patriot:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
There's armours in the cash shop I haven't seen there before. A medium armour with extra armour, and a heavy grenade/recoil armour. Both are winter-themed. They've been in there a couple of days already but I never looked

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

bandaid.friend posted:

There's armours in the cash shop I haven't seen there before. A medium armour with extra armour, and a heavy grenade/recoil armour. Both are winter-themed. They've been in there a couple of days already but I never looked

They add two every warbond.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Grayshift posted:

Today's personal order is 60 AMR kills so I figured it was time to give it a fair shake, but the benefit of being able to take a shield pack was nowhere near worth it compared to the autocannon. Two-body-shots on devastators was nice, as was reloading on the move. But it did jack all against gunships, can't blow up factories so I couldn't take stun grenades for hulks, and ran out of ammo many times. It feels like a gun to augment your primary, but the AC is so good it flatly replaces it.

The AMR is fine against gunships, you hit the same engine 4x and they go down... which you can do pretty fast. It's as good at killing Hulks as the AC without Stuns; and it works well with a sickle or scorcher to clear trash, and a grenade pistol if you absolutely need Stuns and to blow fabs without strats.

Honestly the DCS buff has kinda hurt its niche, as popping devs at range used to be its domain; and the autocannon has always kinda poo poo on its role... because they're almost the same gun but the AC gets a 3p reticle and splash and does more damage.

The main reason to take a Dominator over the DCS is it dumpsters berserkers, it pairs well with a Laser Cannon or RR / Quasar.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 12, 2024

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Hwurmp posted:

Dominator is hard to use because of its patented Slow BulletsTM but they still hit good

Biggest issue with the dominator is that it doesnt sound good. Needs way chunkier sfx

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Please give me the meme cape

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Join, The Downvoters!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

After using it for a few ops, I think the Pummeler feels pretty good. The stun effect is more useful than the concussive liberator and the damage is useful. Basically makes you immune to Berserkers.

My main issue is that when reload it, if you fire too early it fires like a single bullet and then the new mag falls back out. This has gotten me killed several times...

The Tenderizer feels a lot better to kill with than its stats would suggest. I do think it needs a gimmick to separate it more obviously from the Liberator. Maybe having two 15 round magazines so you can half load it like the A/C.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 12, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Not a whole lot of light armor options in the shop, but a lot of heavys. Is this because freedom shouldn’t run?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

there are 11 heavy and 12 light armors in all

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Grayshift posted:

Today's personal order is 60 AMR kills so I figured it was time to give it a fair shake, but the benefit of being able to take a shield pack was nowhere near worth it compared to the autocannon. Two-body-shots on devastators was nice, as was reloading on the move. But it did jack all against gunships, can't blow up factories so I couldn't take stun grenades for hulks,
??
it kills gunships fairly well and you can just drop airstrikes on the fabs, I always run stuns with AMR

Grayshift posted:

and ran out of ammo many times.
????
Are you shooting regular troopers with your support weapon? You can clear them faster and more ammo efficiently with an appropriate primary, you know.