Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Aumuller posted:

Is anyone here going to Copenhagen Beer Celebration this weekend?

lots of good options which of course depend on your style preferences. of the American breweries, Firestone, Funky Buddha, Cycle/Peg's, Boneyard, Prairie, Crooked Stave, and Cigar City all have great offerings (although the last two didn't bring their A-game in my opinion), and Jester King's Tempranillo is drat interesting, but maybe skip that if you're not a wine guy. personally, i'd really like to try Mikkeller's X, which is like the only beer he makes himself and it's apparently amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumuller
Jun 25, 2009

The horror..

funkybottoms posted:

Firestone, Funky Buddha, Cycle/Peg's, Boneyard, Prairie, Crooked Stave, and Cigar City all have great offerings (although the last two didn't bring their A-game in my opinion), and Jester King's Tempranillo is drat interesting, but maybe skip that if you're not a wine guy. personally, i'd really like to try Mikkeller's X, which is like the only beer he makes himself and it's apparently amazing.

danbanana posted:

Cycle/Peg's, Boneyard, and Funky Buddha would all be near the top of my list, as would Jester King's CdT. If you've never had Sucaba, make sure you do that. Cigar City's offerings are nice. And on the European side, I don't know how common it is by you, but Freigeist's rhubarb gose is the best gose I've ever had by far.

Thanks guys! Sucaba was on my list since I love barleywine, but otherwise I was clueless so this helps a lot! The morning session has Hunahpu's (regular and double barrel) + dark lord vanilla. I really wanted to try the Hunahpu's, but I think I had it bottled last year and it sounds like there's other good stuff to drink!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

http://dailycaller.com/2014/04/30/florida-senator-says-shes-being-a-parent-to-craft-beer-breweries/

quote:

A Florida state senator who has recently received thousands of dollars in donations from large beer distribution companies is proposing limitations on smaller craft breweries.

“I have five kids and unfortunately I feel like I’m being a parent in this process,” said Republican State Sen. Kelli Stargel on the senate floor on Tuesday.
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

quote:

“I know they don’t believe it,” continued Stargel on Tuesday. “And I’m sorry, I know my kids don’t believe it when I tell them they can’t do something, but sometimes I know it is what’s best.”

And the award for most insufferable state politician goes to...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

danbanana posted:

Also read this, which is absolutely insane.

"The three-tier is the backbone of societal protections against rampant alcoholism of the 1920s."

I said it the first time I posted it: WTF. I seriously believe that when she thinks of the U.S. in the 1920s, she imagines everyone lived like Jay loving Gatsby. FLAPPERS AND BOOZE FOR EVERYONE!

danbanana fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 30, 2014

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Glad to see this is on Snopes now, tbd however.
http://www.snopes.com/medical/homecure/yeast.asp

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sirotan posted:

How is that even legal?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

their lil poopers posted:

How is that even legal?

I don't wanna get all :911: political in here, but I think it's just how things are run up there. Special interests and all that jazz.

I have a beer swap at work and got Rodenbach's Grand Cru Flanders Red. (put in Trois Pistoles). Should I age this beer for any particular amount of time or will it just hurt the beer in the end?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How is that even legal?

I've been questioning the legality of insufferable people my whole life...

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I don't wanna get all :911: political in here, but I think it's just how things are run up there. Special interests and all that jazz.

I have a beer swap at work and got Rodenbach's Grand Cru Flanders Red. (put in Trois Pistoles). Should I age this beer for any particular amount of time or will it just hurt the beer in the end?

Drink now IMO. They pasteurize and have good packaging, so at best it's going to stay the same.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Aumuller posted:

Is anyone here going to Copenhagen Beer Celebration this weekend? They just released the beers available at each session and I lurk here a bit, but it's still a bit overwhelming with all these beers - the past two years it's been my experience that since the beers are free, I get drunk way too fast and lose track, so I want to drink the best beers first this time. I've looked at Ratebeer for a while, but if a knowledgeable goon can point me to a few beers I should go for I would appreciate it! :)

http://taplist.net/cbc/session/blue

As far as Funky Buddha goes, Last Snow should be your priority. I think it's probably my favorite beer in general, but it's really both unique and excellent on its own merits.

Their other stuff that mimics foods/candies are all really good beers and really novel, but they're all pretty close in terms of how must-try they are. Don't Tell Reece seems to suffer from batch to batch, I've had it an absolutely loved it at the lounge, but I've had it taste like burned peanuts the first time it went on tap at the brewery. No Crust seems to have the widest range of reactions, some people are thrilled by it some don't really care for it. Bonita Applebum gets kinda cloying to me after a while.

I'm jealous though, you gotta find some sort of palate cleanser or something.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

While it's a great beer it's likely already been on the shelf for a while. As for aging, it's my opinion that it's pointless to age a beer that you've never had fresh. I feel that the point of aging beer, if you really must do so, is to see how a beer changes. You're not going to see the change if you don't have it fresh first.

As for drinking it, it's going to be mildly sour with a red wine vinegar flavor through it. It's supposed to taste like that and it's an excellent Flanders Red.

Aumuller
Jun 25, 2009

The horror..

Catfish Noodlin posted:

As far as Funky Buddha goes, Last Snow should be your priority. I think it's probably my favorite beer in general, but it's really both unique and excellent on its own merits.
I only have tickets for the blue session, unfortunately - so I can try Passionfruit Berliner and Don't Tell Reece. But I'll keep an eye out for their beers outside of the celebration. Sounds interesting!

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Ok thanks, I'll be drinking it up then.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

How is that even legal?

Unfortunately, state (and federal!) legislatures can pretty much pass (and with the executive's signature, enact) whatever the gently caress laws they want, and until they're challenged and overturned in court or repealed through the legislative process, they're the law of the land. So basically, the answer is "because whatever a law says is legal is legal, until a judge or legislature says it isn't."

'MURRICA

air-
Sep 24, 2007

What the gently caress? "cut with bread" ??? :psyduck:

http://www.reddit.com/r/houston/comments/24bd23/psa_drink_enough_dr14_tonight_that_the_arrows/

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Every good production brewery knows how to cut it with bread if the batch comes up short. It's a really easy way to produce more. The Bruery use to do it all the time but they accidentally used sourdough once and it infected all their stuff so they had to stop.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Schpyder posted:

Unfortunately, state (and federal!) legislatures can pretty much pass (and with the executive's signature, enact) whatever the gently caress laws they want, and until they're challenged and overturned in court or repealed through the legislative process, they're the law of the land. So basically, the answer is "because whatever a law says is legal is legal, until a judge or legislature says it isn't."

'MURRICA

Oh I meant the obvious corruption but that's for a different thread I guess.

But I got to try last years dark lord last weekend among some other beers. I liked it but I'd love to have it fresh. Did try a CCB aged in pinot noir barrels and that was my favorite of the day. And I wish I was able to have dropped by the brewery on tuesday to full up with some barrel aged zhukov but oh well.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Yuuuuuu what a bargain... one of the stores here is throwing away 2013 Sofie, Matilda, Pepe Nero and Pere Jacques for $3.99. Given that they were bottled in January of last year, which ones have probably stood the test of time? I got Pepe and Pere for now, but I've never tried any of them.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

krustster posted:

Yuuuuuu what a bargain... one of the stores here is throwing away 2013 Sofie, Matilda, Pepe Nero and Pere Jacques for $3.99. Given that they were bottled in January of last year, which ones have probably stood the test of time? I got Pepe and Pere for now, but I've never tried any of them.

They all will.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

krustster posted:

I've had Sofie with 2 years on it. Delicious.
Grab a bunch :)

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Those may be among the handful of beers that I've preferred with some age.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
At CBC, I'd recommend trying 7th Sun's stuff, they're a pretty solid small saison and pale ale focused brewery here in Florida, certainly not at the level of Tired Hands or similar but good enough to be worth checking out. Buxton is a pretty legit UK Craft Brewery, and I befriended their financial manager guy at The Festival last year, so check out their stuff. Kernel is a similar situation, really well-regarded UK craft brewery with a reputation for great IPAs. I'd definitely be trying all 4 Mikkellers even though I think a lot of his beer is poo poo, especially X Rum Barrel.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I think Sofie and Matilda are better on the fresher end, but the whole gamut will stand up to age. A couple years ago I had an 8-year-old Pere Jacques and it was delicious, despite being poured from a screwcap bottle.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
That's great news. I kept seeing Matilda around and wasn't using my brain and thought "belgian pale" was the same as "belgian-style IPA" and was like "oh the hops are probably faded now." :downs:

At that price I will probably go back tomorrow and get a couple of each!

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

In other important tape-blasting news:

Dogfish Head Burton Baton turned out to be very very delicious. I actually had 90 Minute again recently and didn't like it as much as I remembered, but this was a nice surprise. The only other barrel-aged IPAs I've had were from Founders (Doom and Red's Rye), and while delicious, they had that signature vanilla-y taste and were sort of predictable. This one less of the weird sweetness of 90 Minute and more of a boozy bourbon taste; it seems like the 50/50 blend was a smart idea on their part because a 100% barrel aged version would probably be overpowering. Expensive, but I would try it again for sure. [note: after I wrote this bit, I looked it up to see for sure what it was, and apparently it's half old ale and half 90 minute?? aged in an oak tank (no bourbon involved)(???)? really awesome final result either way.]

Evil Twin Hipster Ale was said to be pretty good but I was super underwhelmed. Maybe "APAs" just aren't my thing. It smelled nice, and had a nice hop note to it, but the hops were so weak and it just came off like a lager with a hint of okay hops, and I really don't like any kind of lagers. Most APAs I've had tasted like this to me so I guess I just am not the target audience.

Final medallion for the evening was Black Note, for the first time. It certainly lived up to both the hype and my expectations. I know many people prefer BCBS, but to me, this was better. BCBS had more of a sweet taste and this was more bourbon. Hard to quantify, but either way it's an amazing treat!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

krustster posted:

Sofie does best with some aging on it, as the residual Brett. Brux. in the bottle will develop and dry it out further. I had a bottle of 2009 Sofie last year that was absolutely stellar. The same happens with Matilda, but that tends to be a bit more variable and occasionally develops some vicious, putrid off-flavors (I had to remove a keg of Matilda at Great Taste of the Midwest last year because it had a serious baby-diaper thing going on). Pepe Nero and Pere Jacques don't have any wild yeast to develop in the bottle, so they won't get the same effect, but neither one does badly with aging. PJ fares the best of the two of them, though, with its higher alcohol content and a prune-y flavor from the Special B malt that dovetails nicely with some of the more raisin-y oxidation characteristics.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Ubik posted:

Sofie does best with some aging on it, as the residual Brett. Brux. in the bottle will develop and dry it out further. I had a bottle of 2009 Sofie last year that was absolutely stellar. The same happens with Matilda, but that tends to be a bit more variable and occasionally develops some vicious, putrid off-flavors (I had to remove a keg of Matilda at Great Taste of the Midwest last year because it had a serious baby-diaper thing going on). Pepe Nero and Pere Jacques don't have any wild yeast to develop in the bottle, so they won't get the same effect, but neither one does badly with aging. PJ fares the best of the two of them, though, with its higher alcohol content and a prune-y flavor from the Special B malt that dovetails nicely with some of the more raisin-y oxidation characteristics.

I had no idea Sofie had Brett in it. I never got any characteristics from it. I'll give it a try again with that in mind.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I don't know if they announced the beers at any point historically but I saw the box art for the Beer Camp 12pack, and I'm slightly disappointed.

Russian River Belgian Style Blonde, Allagash Belgian Style Pale Ale, Three Floyds Pale Ale, Victory Brewing Altbier, Firestone Walker Hoppy Pilsner.. they all seem like things that the respective breweries have done, well, in the past. Not a particularly inspired list IMHO.

I guess what it comes down to is that I should probably look at this more like "Sierra Nevada Presents the best of 12 brewers Macro drinkers haven't heard of", and call it a good way for these guys to show off what they do well. I can live with that.

That said, I'm still buying it. And I think it'd be cool for goons to make a plan to drink the 12pack in conjunction, and throw some reviews out there for the same beer on the same night. Once it hits shelves I'll post this idea again.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 1, 2014

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

a worthy uhh posted:

That said, I'm still buying it. And I think it'd be cool for goons to make a plan to drink the 12pack in conjunction, and throw some reviews out there for the same beer on the same night. Once it hits shelves I'll post this idea again.

This sounds like a really fun idea! I'm looking forward to trying the sampler as well, a tropical maibock sounds pretty tasty.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

a worthy uhh posted:

Three Floyds Pale Ale

No loving poo poo...

I like the internet drinkin' idea.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Tropical Maibock does sound good conceptually. And I have a strong feeling that Victory can brew an excellent Altbier. Also, New Glarus is doing a bitter. So that's cool. I'm excited for the whole box.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

a worthy uhh posted:

I don't know if they announced the beers at any point historically but I saw the box art for the Beer Camp 12pack, and I'm slightly disappointed.

Russian River Belgian Style Blonde, Allagash Belgian Style Pale Ale, Three Floyds Pale Ale, Victory Brewing Altbier, Firestone Walker Hoppy Pilsner.. they all seem like things that the respective breweries have done, well, in the past. Not a particularly inspired list IMHO.

I guess what it comes down to is that I should probably look at this more like "Sierra Nevada Presents the best of 12 brewers Macro drinkers haven't heard of", and call it a good way for these guys to show off what they do well. I can live with that.

Man that looks good. I hope they'll have a wide distribution on it. Nothing really outlandish so it looks like your average joe will see it at the super market and give it a shot.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Tropical Maibock does sound good conceptually. And I have a strong feeling that Victory can brew an excellent Altbier. Also, New Glarus is doing a bitter. So that's cool. I'm excited for the whole box.

Victory brewed a very nice Alt for the Craft Brewer's Conference. I wonder how they'll approach this one though.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Yep the Tropical Maibock instantly stuck out to me, I'd drink that. To be honest I'm happy with that box of collabs as a whole since majority of those breweries aren't available in Texas.

Getting the details sorted out for my trip to Portland, OR (probably dphi could totally chime in here): where should I hit and in what order?

I have a full 7 days (and possibly more) there with a ton of space to fill. Already planning a day trip to Tillamook to hit Pelican and De Garde. To be honest I am not a big Cascade fan, but I'd be happy to hit any brewery straight at the source and planning for Upright, The Commons, HotD, Deschutes. Definitely hitting beer bars/bottle shops like Apex, Bailey's, and Belmont Station - which of the brewpubs/beer bars also have good food?

Any goons attempted the pub crawls on this post?
http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/visiting-portland-spring-2014-update.165640/

Very open to food suggestion as well (zero dietary/price point restrictions) and I've already made reservations for Little Bird and Beast. Pok Pok, Lardo, Tanuki and Blue Star Donuts all look good. Just feeling very overwhelmed with so many options.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Ya'll are missing the best one, the Asheville Brewer's Alliance Tater Ridge Scottish Ale. It's made with real sweet potaters, cause we're from the south hyuck.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Josh Wow posted:

Ya'll are missing the best one, the Asheville Brewer's Alliance Tater Ridge Scottish Ale. It's made with real sweet potaters, cause we're from the south hyuck.

Great now you've ruined the only other beer I actually wanted to try on that list.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I did Deschutes > Cascade > HotD

It's a bit out of order but we were exploring the city and it just kinda happened that way. Cascade is the furthest out so starting there and working your way into the city is a good idea.

broom
Aug 29, 2005
BA Speedway, worth $40??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

broom posted:

BA Speedway, worth $40??

it's good, but i'd be happier with two kopi or Vietnamese for about that same price