Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Palpek posted:

Fallout 4 is also a dad game and look how that ended up. Shower With Your Dad Simulator came out in 2015 too :v:.

Fallout 4 was a Mum game. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Fallout 4 was a Mum game. :colbert:

Pretty amazing that some people didn't immediately restart as a woman when they heard that guy's voice.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I have and will never play fallout 4 but i'm shocked to hear the voiced protagonist wasn't good in it. Truly shocked.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
EDIT. Disregard.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

megalodong posted:

I have and will never play fallout 4 but i'm shocked to hear the voiced protagonist wasn't good in it. Truly shocked.

Real progamers (tm) play with the full dialogue mod, so that they can experience the full gamut of Bethesda's incredible writing. How can you stand to miss out on four different ways of saying yes to absolutely everything because the words "player agency" aren't in Todd Howard's vocabulary?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gonkish posted:

Real progamers (tm) play with the full dialogue mod, so that they can experience the full gamut of Bethesda's incredible writing. How can you stand to miss out on four different ways of saying yes to absolutely everything because the words "player agency" aren't in Todd Howard's vocabulary?

As an aside I love it when fallout fans desperately try to claim that their game offers a sandbox experience yet they have 0 agency or power in their sandbox

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Phi230 posted:

As an aside I love it when fallout fans desperately try to claim that their game offers a sandbox experience yet they have 0 agency or power in their sandbox
Bethesda games are sandboxes in the sense that the sand is stuck together and all the toys are either missing, broken or covered in cat poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

covered in cat poo

:cry:Ashes go HOME. Erin misses you!:cry:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Remember that fun time there was a beached ship with Robots who thought they were sailors! Wasn't that so wacky and random! XD XD XD

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm in the beginning stages of "Dead Man's Party", after being possessed by Vlodimir in the Crypt and having Shani agree to attend the wedding.. This can't possibly go wrong, huh? The quest is hilarious so far, and Vlodimir seems like an alright dude, besides the raiding and banditry he engaged in previously. I see much potential for shenanigans.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah the Last of Us was also pretty good. We need more Dad-adoptive daughter games.

Woody Allen's new RPG is coming soon-yish

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Phi230 posted:

New Vegas does though? Same with the first two even though they've aged poorly.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Accordion Man posted:

New Vegas's approach to the factions and choices was what made Fallout 4 a disappointment to me.

That and incredibly poor ways of handling putting the player in important positions.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

New Vegas was so great that Bethesda decided to never let another good studio develop any of their franchises again because it makes them look bad in comparison.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The Bethesda definition of a sandbox is "do these things that we tell you and we'll pretend that you're our leader" repeated indefinitely.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Paradox is publishing a new Obsidian RPG, so at least they're still getting work.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

who
designed
the caretaker
and wraith bossfights
back to back

also
help me with the wraith please, i don't understand how sometimes i can stop it from going into a painting and regenerating and sometimes i can't I WAS TWO HITS AWAY FROM KILLING IT HOMG

Edit: IT JUST HIT ME WITH AN INFINITE ATTACK TO DEATH HOMG WHAT

Artelier fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 4, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hit the paintings.

Good luck with targetting them though.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Palpek posted:

New Vegas was so great that Bethesda decided to never let another good studio develop any of their franchises again because it makes them look bad in comparison.

And to say nothing of how Bethesda intentionally sabotaged New Vegas' metacritic score contract by providing next to no QA and demanded release be pushed up, then now acts like nothing in New Vegas happened and threw all the history and world building offered by Obsidian out the window.

Palpek posted:

Hit the paintings.

I had good success with igni.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

You should literally never use targeting in combat in this game, it's like five million times easier if you don't use it and just pay attention to your surroundings instead.
Source: I beat it on Death March without using targeting once, and the Caretaker and Painting Wraith were incredibly easy (disclaimer: I got my rear end handed to me by the Ofieri mage and his friends for like an hour straight though).

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just pumped the difficulty down because I just wanted to finish the quest SPIDERS IN NARROW HALLWAYS NOW WAI

ahem but yeah i got past the wraith

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Quote-Unquote posted:

You should literally never use targeting in combat in this game, it's like five million times easier if you don't use it and just pay attention to your surroundings instead.
Source: I beat it on Death March without using targeting once, and the Caretaker and Painting Wraith were incredibly easy (disclaimer: I got my rear end handed to me by the Ofieri mage and his friends for like an hour straight though).

I use it case by case personally, also on death march. Single foes and boxing matches are far easier with target lock on. Otherwise I agree, use situation awareness and roll/dodge everywhere to keep breathing room.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Artelier posted:

I just pumped the difficulty down because I just wanted to finish the quest SPIDERS IN NARROW HALLWAYS NOW WAI

ahem but yeah i got past the wraith

I played the entire game and dlc on death March except the frog boss and the spiders in the paintings. Tuned really loving rough

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Capn Beeb posted:

And to say nothing of how Bethesda intentionally sabotaged New Vegas' metacritic score contract by providing next to no QA and demanded release be pushed up, then now acts like nothing in New Vegas happened and threw all the history and world building offered by Obsidian out the window.

They didn't intentionally sabotage New Vegas with their quality assurance. Their quality assurance just happens to be so utterly abysmal that it failed regardless of intent.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

News Vegas is actually less buggy than other Bethesda games.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

cheesetriangles posted:

News Vegas is actually less buggy than other Bethesda games.

New Vegas was utterly broken for me on 360 when it first came out. Made it about 12 hours in and came across a bug where I had to talk to some guy to continue a quest, was at the indicated spot on the map but couldn't find him. Later I realised he was 100ft in the air. And it crashed all the goddamn time. I traded it in pretty quickly before the value plummeted.

Played the GOTY edition years later, which I bought for a fiver, and it owned so hard. I got through it without a single irritating glitch, not even one crash.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Accordion Man posted:

New Vegas was not made by Bethesda. I should clarify. Bethesda games are trash

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/72670-The-Questing-Beast-A-Q-amp-A-with-RED-Quest-DesignersPawel-Sasko-and-Mateusz-Tomaszkiewicz

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
DLC wraith fight: don't lock onto the wraith. When the painting activates, run to it, hold down the arrow keys (or the controller equivalent) to aim at the painting, fast attack.

I didn't think any of the DLC fights were too hard on NG+ DM. Toughest fight in the game I'd say Eredin, he does more damage than anything else and has long reach and nasty unpredictable combo moves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Whoa, Witcher 2 Geralt sounds different. Certainly can't yell as well as Witcher 3 Geralt, but I kind of like his conversational voice being more laid back and less Christian Bale with throat cancer. Doesn't sound as intimidating, but he's smoother.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Arcsquad12 posted:

Whoa, Witcher 2 Geralt sounds different. Certainly can't yell as well as Witcher 3 Geralt, but I kind of like his conversational voice being more laid back and less Christian Bale with throat cancer. Doesn't sound as intimidating, but he's smoother.

It's almost as though he was previously a younger man with less injuries and STIs and stuff :smuggo:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Now try witcher 1 Geralt.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

cheesetriangles posted:

Now try witcher 1 Geralt.

"What is this crap."

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
They just added a bunch of new achievements for the game in Steam.

Some of them have spoilers for the new DLC so don't check them if you care about that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I wonder if there will be Grand Master versions of the Wolf and Viper school sets or only of the three originals.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

extra stout posted:

It's almost as though he was previously a younger man with less injuries and STIs and stuff :smuggo:

As if Witchers can get STIs.

Which also raises the question, witchers must have phenomenal alcohol tolerance, so why does Geralt get blurry vision if I drink just one beer?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

10 Beers posted:

As if Witchers can get STIs.

Which also raises the question, witchers must have phenomenal alcohol tolerance, so why does Geralt get blurry vision if I drink just one beer?

He's got superfast metabolism that gets him drunk instantly and lets him recover pretty quickly afterwards.

Also I guess that's just how drinking has worked in every single videogame I've played.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

extra stout posted:

All of six months younger, you mean. I'm trying to work out the timeline here. Witcher 2 begins a month after Witcher 1, and concludes around two months later. A month after that, Nilfgaard officially declares war on the North, and six months later Witcher 3 starts. So in the immediate aftermath of Witcher 2, Geralt dumps Triss and goes back to Kaer Morhen, grabs Vesemir and starts out on The Path in search of Yennefer. They traveled through Velen when the Killing Monsters cinematic takes place. I'm assuming they were in the region to investigate the Hanged Man's Tree, the last place Geralt had seen Yennefer when he and the Viper School Witchers fought the Wild Hunt.

So the Witcher games occur over a period of around a year and some, considering how long events in The Witcher 3 could take place over.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Palpek posted:

Hit the paintings.

I killed her in one combo, i didn't even know this was a thing. That's pretty cool.