Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
"you do stuff so well"

"you're better than anyone else"

*hours get slashed next week*

cool, not like I just spent like a thousand dollars on my credit card trying to keep my dog from dying it's nbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sundae posted:

Question: Do I assume you take your suit to a different tailor than the place you bought it, then? Example: Buy a tux or suit at Men's Wearhouse and the tailoring they offer will cost as much as the suit. I've never tried taking it elsewhere, to be honest; is it that much cheaper?

I think I paid 14 bucks for the tailoring last time at Men's Wearhouse.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You’re better off buying a suit at JCP or Boscov’s than Men’s Wearhouse, they charge 200% more for suits that are maybe 20% better.

Midjack posted:

A number of people view retail employees as 100% interchangeable, so it would make sense to them that the store might take someone off sample distribution, have them run a register for a while, then send them out to collect carts before having them unload a truck and stock shelves.

This is 100% the way retail executives think of store level staff. You’re just an infinitely available supply of draft animals.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

You’re better off buying a suit at JCP or Boscov’s than Men’s Wearhouse, they charge 200% more for suits that are maybe 20% better.

This is 100% the way retail executives think of store level staff. You’re just an infinitely available supply of draft animals.

Wrong.

Draft animals sometimes get awesome steroids.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
We got a note posted about customers complaining that we aren't friendly and greeting people

Look here mother fucker there is currently an illness going around that is spread by simply inhaling in the same vicinity of someone exhaling. I am minimizing the poo poo out of talking.

E: Its amazing at how little of a gently caress corporate cares that they are still paying for secret shoppers!

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
One of the customer survey metrics our store gets crucified on is team availability, so no matter which store you work at they harp on all the time about smiling and saying hello to customers.
This is going to blow some minds but I think it's because there's no staff rostered.
Someone had the genius idea of having night fill work during the day instead so there were more team members on the floor without having to increase budget and it just raises a whole heap of different issues.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Wrong.

Draft animals sometimes get awesome steroids.

My back is brawny but my brain is weak, just plain stupid with a stubborn streak.

Leal posted:

We got a note posted about customers complaining that we aren't friendly and greeting people

Look here mother fucker there is currently an illness going around that is spread by simply inhaling in the same vicinity of someone exhaling. I am minimizing the poo poo out of talking.

E: Its amazing at how little of a gently caress corporate cares that they are still paying for secret shoppers!

I've stopped greeting people that don't wear masks and actively avoid them, sure that someone hates this and I don't care.

Also if you want me to be an ambassador with every rando you best schedule me a shitload more time than you do now you stingy shits.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

we constantly lose points in customer service because customers don't get greeted at the entrance. Because our entrance is on the opposite side of the customer service area so there's hardly ever anyone over there.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My back is brawny but my brain is weak, just plain stupid with a stubborn streak.

If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I've stopped greeting people that don't wear masks and actively avoid them, sure that someone hates this and I don't care.

Also if you want me to be an ambassador with every rando you best schedule me a shitload more time than you do now you stingy shits.

They say that a man is made out of mud,
But a poor boy’s made out of muscle and blood.
Muscle and blood, skin and bone,
With a mind that’s weak and a back that’s strong.
You move sixteen tons, what do you get...

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

And a lot of those people end up as managers.

This is my store and, more specifically, the small group of us classified as "stock control". Our routines are meant to be all about correcting stock levels and fixing gaps, but our store manager treats us like a SEAL team she can drop in to do anything at any time that's required. Whenever the company tightens the belt and cuts overtime, you better believe she'll have us doing anything from stocking shelves, front door greeting, warehouse organising, working checkouts, to maybe even occasionally doing our own job.

It would be flattering if it wasn't such a pain in the rear end, compounded by the fact it doesn't pay any more than anything else.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Eric the Mauve posted:

I cannot begin to overstate how much happier I am now that I'm not in any way associated with retail

frankly speaking being in corporate level was somehow even loving worse than being in retail because I had to see the motherfucker every day and hear the level of not caring

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

another recall on product. this time it’s peaches from mexico.

kidding. they’re from california, usa :patriot:. remember friends, anytime someone says mexican produce is not good, kick them square in the nards thanks

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Shugojin posted:

I cannot begin to overstate how much happier I am now that I'm not in any way associated with retail

So so much this. Never having to deal with a customer, worry about an order or what is/isn't in stock.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I risked Costco today. Got there at 9am, they open at 930. Line around entire front of building. I kinda wish they'd put up some loving awning or shade.

The line started moving about 920. Now the best part? There was about 6-7 people waiting at the entrance doors in the shade, waiting for someone in line to let them cut in. No one did. They looked so confused as to why they had to wait.

Also, someone found a pallet of Lysol wipes. There was a mad rush to it. I was leaving, thankfully, but drat.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Rainbow Knight posted:

another recall on product. this time it’s peaches from mexico.

kidding. they’re from california, usa :patriot:. remember friends, anytime someone says mexican produce is not good, kick them square in the nards thanks

I mean there is the fact that health standards and rules about pesticides and herbicides are either unenforced or just plain absent in the Mexican agricultural market. I love Mexico and Mexican people a whole lot but it's the same reason I wouldn't want food from China., just not quite as bad.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

therobit posted:

I mean there is the fact that health standards and rules about pesticides and herbicides are either unenforced or just plain absent in the Mexican agricultural market. I love Mexico and Mexican people a whole lot but it's the same reason I wouldn't want food from China., just not quite as bad.

we have never had issues with produce from mexico so

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So let me tell you about my loving day today. But first let me tell you about yesterday: It was about as lively as Will Smith's singing career. So I figured today, hey its the end of the month, its even worse in regards to the smoke, it wont be all that busy today so I'll forgo making lunch. Also my loving FAMILY decided to drink up the last of the water and can't be hosed to replenish the jugs, so I'm going without water. Also I woke up late so no breakfast.

First break comes and I think ok, I'll pick up some lunch, a snack to carry me through, and of course water. It didn't feel that busy in my department, so I head around to the checkstands... and of course the line is like 30 people deep, what are you, some kind of loving idiot? You maroon. You loving moron. Alright so I'll head to the nearby dollar store instead, I might get lucky and there wont be that many people.

Now let me tell you about the loving DOLLAR STORE. There is always ONE loving CHECKER and even if there is only one person being checked out, chances are that loving rear end in a top hat is getting a WHOLE loving FAMILY'S WORTH of glassware that the loving CASHIER is gonna slowly wrap one by one. Or they're getting loving BALLOONS.

So I step into the dollar store and cool, there is only 2 groups in line. One being checked out and the other only had like a few items in their hand. So I grab my stuff and get in line. And the loving PEOPLE being checked out goes "Oh, we need to split cause this is gonna be 2 transactions." Why the gently caress they can't do this before going up to the register I have no loving idea. Finally they send out a second cashier and what happens? Instead of the second group, the first group loving SPLITS and takes up the second cashier with all THEIR poo poo. I figure ok, the first person has been getting checked out this whole time

Alright lets get some brakes here. God drat this cashier was loving SLOW like a pregnant turtle that died. This loving guy was scanning stuff at a rate of 1 item every 3 seconds.

So I look over and notice that the cashier is putting the scanned items in a bag. The items in the cart are not in a bag. Not only that but the table that they were scanning from was empty... except for a bucket. That the cashier started pulling MORE loving PRODUCTS OUT OF. So I did it, I channeled Karen and went "Are you loving KIDDING ME" and left my product and left. So I wasted about 6 minutes of my loving BREAK for FUCKALL and I'm getting progressively more and more overheated. Thankfully a coworker pointed me out to a stash of bottled water that is kept for the cart pushers and at the very least I get some fluids in me.

Lunch comes around and there isn't that big a line at the registers... but I just knew if I was to head to the frozen section, by the time I turn around there will be a loving line again. So I decide I'll hit up panda express, you can go inside and I don't think many people know that. Well I was loving WRONG the GOD drat RESTAURANT was packed. So I head back to my store, cause gently caress going to the dollar store and of course there is a loving LINE like 20 GOD drat PEOPLE deep. I jump into my car and thank the loving LORD that Carls Jr is as expensive as it is cause there was only 1 person in the drive thru when I showed up.

The lesson of the day is always pack a lunch. And gently caress people who think a smokey, ashy day is a great day to BBQ

Other then that the day was ok I guess

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Sorry to hear it. Not judging , but does your house not have running water, or is it not safe to drink ?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Some tap water just tastes like poo poo. I'm genuinely jealous of people that have good tap water. I didn't think it was a thing until I went to Madison and my partner just poured water out of the hotel bathroom sink and gave it to me.

It was some of the best water I've ever had.

My water, where I live? It tastes like if LaCroix made a bleach flavor.

Good rant tho. I have once or twice done the same poo poo when I try to buy like two things at night and end up in line behind someone doing a month's shopping at 10:50 when we've got one register open.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Our city water is so bad the city had to actually own up to it and send out letters telling people to not drink it. Lots of chrome in our water.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Some tap water just tastes like poo poo. I'm genuinely jealous of people that have good tap water. I didn't think it was a thing until I went to Madison and my partner just poured water out of the hotel bathroom sink and gave it to me.

It was some of the best water I've ever had.

My water, where I live? It tastes like if LaCroix made a bleach flavor.

Good rant tho. I have once or twice done the same poo poo when I try to buy like two things at night and end up in line behind someone doing a month's shopping at 10:50 when we've got one register open.

Conversely I never knew how bad tap water could get before I visited the US. My local water is pristine, and while I had some moderately bleachy water in France and other places in Europe, I wasn't quite ready for just how bad it could get in the US.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Leal posted:

Our city water is so bad the city had to actually own up to it and send out letters telling people to not drink it. Lots of chrome in our water.
Maybe your city should switch to firefox. :razz:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yesterday, show up to work all normal like only for HR to freak out. See, our entire department's shift has been moved back from 6:30 PM- 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM- 5:30 AM. Only they didn't really tell us besides a couple hand written signs around our area to check our online hub for updated hours. But our Hub showed our old hours, and still does at the time of writing this.

So everyone showed up a half hour early and were offered the chance to head home "early" at their previous normal time and most of the department took it. I said gently caress that, enjoyed a half hour cleaning up the place while no one else was making a mess, and picked up an overtime shift to really pile on.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey, I've been wondering about this for a while, but haven't asked until this point: Are service-industry employees (waiters, bartenders, baristas etc) and independent owners of these businesses getting hosed due to COVID? I have an image of white/blue collar workers, military, professionals, big corps and chains doing as well as or better than previous, but service guys getting evicted, moving in with family / each other, going homeless etc.

What's the word? What's happening? I speculate that many restaurants/bars/coffee shops will continue due to their owners being rich investors who can take the losses, but the employees will be hosed. Once the eviction moratoriums stop and travel becomes more popular, landlords may evict over failure to backpay rent, and let AirBnbs move in.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 25, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Yes. And employers/landlords too, the ones without the capital/market/whatever to sustain themselves through a slump. It's a huge consolidation of resources and it's all going to people who have too drat much already.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's the greatest thing that ever happened for the multibillion dollar conglomerates. It's wrecking small-to-medium businesses, driving out competition and driving up unemployment (read: driving down cost of labor).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My house has been put up for sale and we've been having a lot of people coming and going the past 2 days, and a lot of them are couples and bringing kids in. Some of them talking about the plans they have and the potential of this place. So I'm stressing the gently caress out over losing my house, and this stress has translated to me not being able to sleep at all. I laid down at 3, didn't go to sleep until like 4:30 and woke back up at 6:30 and haven't been able to sleep since. I tried getting a coworker to cover my shift but he isn't answering, so I told my boss I have to call out.

He responded with "You're a renter, its not your house, you need work to make money for a new place." Its good to know after 5 years of calling out less time then the amount of years I don't get any leeway. Its not even like the shift will be empty, there is a second person closing as well.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Never tell them why you are calling out. Just say, "I'm not feeling well," and leave it at that. If the press, say "I assure you that you don't want a description, especially of my toilet. "

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Add in that we're in the middle of a pandemic and you're being cautious, you know, you'd hate to make your coworkers sick.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Two no-shows, one call-out. Just me and one other person showed up for our shift.

I got two people from the mid to stay and someone to come in as soon as they got back in town around 7 but

Jesus loving Christ will one of these places I interviewed at please call me back

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Pentaghastly posted:

Two no-shows, one call-out. Just me and one other person showed up for our shift.

I got two people from the mid to stay and someone to come in as soon as they got back in town around 7 but

Jesus loving Christ will one of these places I interviewed at please call me back

You should call them to follow up.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

therobit posted:

You should call them to follow up.

Don't forget to march right in there to show what a go getter you are

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Volmarias posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQPtKNZpfz4

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Nah, that would be dumb, but I have known hiring managers that won't call back anyone who won't touch back first.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
My job instills in me an ever-present feeling like I need a cigarette despite having never been a smoker.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Maybe...they’re just waiting for my background check to come back?

Y’all I’m so tired

Of the two no-shows, one said “oh poo poo” and hung up on me when she realized who I was, and the other “didn’t know he was working” even though...our schedules are posted three weeks in advance...

And just this morning someone texted ME saying they got their shift covered tomorrow by someone totally unreliable and I’m like “call the store and get this poo poo signed off on by someone with authority” please I’m so tired

EDIT: I GOT A CALL BACK. From the mattress place BUT I GOT AN OFFER CONTINGENT ON BACKGROUND CHECK which will come up clear JESUS CHRIST. It’s not perfect but I’m loving FREE from STARBUCKS

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 26, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pentaghastly posted:

Maybe...they’re just waiting for my background check to come back?

Y’all I’m so tired

Of the two no-shows, one said “oh poo poo” and hung up on me when she realized who I was, and the other “didn’t know he was working” even though...our schedules are posted three weeks in advance...

And just this morning someone texted ME saying they got their shift covered tomorrow by someone totally unreliable and I’m like “call the store and get this poo poo signed off on by someone with authority” please I’m so tired

EDIT: I GOT A CALL BACK. From the mattress place BUT I GOT AN OFFER CONTINGENT ON BACKGROUND CHECK which will come up clear JESUS CHRIST. It’s not perfect but I’m loving FREE from STARBUCKS

Great!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pentaghastly posted:

Hell yeah!

Remember two of the most important things for retail sales:

1. Always have a funnel

2. Customers don’t buy solely on price, they buy from people they trust (which you need to make you).

Also

3. Know how you get paid, track your sales, and make sure corporate or other sales people don’t yank or steal your sales away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I really hate to be That Guy, and I feel bad about doing it, and I know what I'm about to say feels utterly impossible right now, but it's got to be said: you are probably going to hate the mattress place even more than you hate Starbucks. If you aren't hitting your sales target every single week management will make your life hell and then they will fire you.

It's basically impossible to get fired from retail jobs, but out-and-out Sales (and mattress sales is surpassed really only by car sales in this regard) is very high pressure and if you don't sell, you're gone.

Congrats on getting out of Hell Job but you should at least have an idea what you're walking into, and even if it doesn't work out you've at least bought yourself a month or two to keep looking for a better job. Keep looking!