Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
I've never felt so alive....Bought about 20 gem bags now, watching my steam cash go up :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ImPureAwesome posted:

Are you guys just selling the cards in the booster pack youre buying, how are you flipping quickly?

Sell them for the highest buy order, usually. Sometimes I sell them for more just incase anyone bites though.

Downs Duck posted:

I never thought I would regret not buying Sakura Spirit, Go-Go Nippon and its ilk.

Bought it for me as a gag gift eh? Well, whose laughin' now friend? :mmmsmug:

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Anatharon posted:

Bought it for me as a gag gift eh? Well, whose laughin' now friend? :mmmsmug:

Yeah, why don't you rub it in :argh:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Downs Duck posted:

Yeah, why don't you rub it in :argh:

Better than other things he could be rubbing

hoooooo

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy
Ok, 200,000 gems for $5, how do I make money now.

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....

Tsyni posted:

Craft booster packs and sell them

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tsyni posted:

Thanks for buying our useless gems :v:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This has got to be a test of the card market, right? This is just wacky.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Floridiot posted:

Craft booster packs and sell them

The price of boosters is even crashing hard, geeeeez. Though I've basically made my money back.

Pole of Mars
Aug 19, 2008

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom

Tsyni posted:

How the hell did you manage to buy more than 6000 sacks (assuming you bought them all at 0.03USD)?!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Tsyni posted:

The price of boosters is even crashing hard, geeeeez. Though I've basically made my money back.
Save them for the price correction. I have 50 boosters costing around 20 cents. Maybe I'll save them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Scalding Coffee posted:

Save them for the price correction.

Open packs for foils & save them for price correction.*

Or whatever steam card game they run during the sale itself.

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....

Jordan7hm posted:

This. It's what I am doing.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Pole of Mars posted:

How the hell did you manage to buy more than 6000 sacks (assuming you bought them all at 0.03USD)?!

I got 300,000 for approx. $2 :smugbert:

Just took what I had in Steambux and refreshed like mad until the order got through. Took some tries though.

Jordan7hm posted:

Floridiot posted:

This. It's what I am doing.

Definitely this.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Nice try valve, but I'm keeping my 60 summer getaway cards.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So, I bought about 300k gems for around $9. I've made roughly $9.50 by selling cards that I got out of boosters crafted from gems, and that's only a small percentage of the cards that I have listed right now. My steam wallet is steadily ticking up as more cards sell. I also still have the vast majority of gems that I bought.

Uh.

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....

Paradoxish posted:

So, I bought about 300k gems for around $9. I've made roughly $9.50 by selling cards that I got out of boosters crafted from gems, and that's only a small percentage of the cards that I have listed right now. My steam wallet is steadily ticking up as more cards sell. I also still have the vast majority of gems that I bought.

Uh.

start rolling around in your gems like Scrooge McDuck.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gemflation is getting out of control.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Floridiot posted:

Just bought 2 gem bags for $.04. Using it to get trading cards 3 packs to resell for $.08 per card. PROFIT!

How are you using gem bags to get trading cards?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Uh.

It's quite the thing. I converted 40k of the 300k and just now ran out of gems to create booster packs. I put 200 back on the market again and starting converting the 60k I have left now.

My inventory runneth over. Thanks Gabe.

teagone posted:

How are you using gem bags to get trading cards?

Go here:
http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/boostercreator/

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Downs Duck posted:

It's quite the thing. I converted 40k of the 300k and just now ran out of gems to create booster packs. I put 200 back on the market again and starting converting the 60k I have left now.

My inventory runneth over. Thanks Gabe.

It really is surreal. I've made pretty decent Steambux in past sales by flipping mystery cards or items or poo poo, but that just felt like taking advantage of stupid people. This was like five minutes of effort and now Steam is just generating money.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SynthOrange posted:

Gemflation is getting out of control.
I'll put a stop to this. *orders a million*

edit: Now if it stops deleting my orders...

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
When does steam think it's the next day? Noon PST?

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
I'm sad I only bought 5 gem packs an hour ago. Now my buy order is going to go unfulfilled forever..

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

It really is surreal. I've made pretty decent Steambux in past sales by flipping mystery cards or items or poo poo, but that just felt like taking advantage of stupid people. This was like five minutes of effort and now Steam is just generating money.

It's like having your own money printing press. Also, it's fun watching the language change from "Trading Cards" (English), to "Cronos" (portugese?) "Cartas Inclusas" (Spanish?), to "Sammelkarten" (German/Dutch??) for every other game from the list, as I craft booster packs for dear life - almost like Steam is creaking under the sheer pressure of all the crafting being done (yes, I'm exaggerating).

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 12, 2014

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It looks like the buy orders are really delayed.

Sooo... don't just keep placing them unless you really want to.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Downs Duck posted:

It's like having your own printing press. Also, it's fun watching the language change from "Trading Cards" (English), to "Cronos" (portugese?) "Cartas Inclusas" (Spanish?), to "Sammelkarten" (German/Dutch??) for every other game from the list, as I craft booster packs for dear life - almost like Steam is creaking under the sheer pressure of all the crafting being done (yes I'm exaggerating).
I was expecting the site to slowly glitch up and sirens appear in the background.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Why can't I buy gems from the market. Stop giving me errors Steam :negative:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Clearly this is the work of the US government to boost revenue through taxing Steam trading.

Remember that if you sell enough stuff and live in the US you'll have to submit some tax information to Valve before you can continue. Even if you don't live in the US I think you need to prove to Valve that you don't before you can continue?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I got the "order placed successfully" prompt a couple of times and then had the page auto-refresh and show me with no orders. If this is a case of buying delay and just not borked buy orders, I'm going to have a fuckton of gems when these go through.

:getin:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Keep in mind that while boosters have crashed not all cards have.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sivek posted:

I got the "order placed successfully" prompt a couple of times and then had the page auto-refresh and show me with no orders. If this is a case of buying delay and just not borked buy orders, I'm going to have a fuckton of gems when these go through.

They're definitely just delayed. I ended up blowing my ~10 steambux on them.

More than anything, I'm just really curious about how this will play out.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Sivek posted:

I had a "non-existent" buy order for 1 pack for .03 cents.

An hour later it went through. People, make sure you have the funds available if you fall under the delayed purchase category.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

teagone posted:

Why can't I buy gems from the market. Stop giving me errors Steam :negative:
Because I got them first. Now for the unpacking of hundreds of bags.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Apparently there are thousands of gem bags for sale for £0.03 each, but whenever I try and buy some it just tells me to try again.

E: uh, poo poo appears to be broken, or someone's figured out how to dupe these gems:

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 12, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Keep at it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Pole of Mars posted:

200 sacks. Each sack has 1000 gems. 200 * .03 = $6, sorry, I lied it was $6 I guess. I made it all back in 15 mins or so though selling boosters, and the price of boosters is bottoming out for anything very popular at all.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

quote:

What happens to Steam Gems after the Holiday Auction ends?
Gems will not disappear from your Inventory after the Holiday Auction event ends. You can continue making and using it to create Booster Packs.

Now that booster packs have crashed, this statement makes me think that the best course of action is to gather gems at bottom prices and hold them until booster prices normalize in a few days/weeks/months. Then craft booster for specific games when you see a worthwhile booster price.

This of course assumes that prices will ever go back up.

EDIT: gently caress, a few minutes ago, there were like 15,000 gems up for sale. Now there are over 2 million.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Spaseman posted:

Now that booster packs have crashed, this statement makes me think that the best course of action is to gather gems at bottom prices and hold them until booster prices normalize in a few days/weeks/months. Then craft booster for specific games when you see a worthwhile booster price.

This of course assumes that prices will ever go back up.

This is/was my plan, but every time I try to buy sacks of gems it just spits out an error. :sigh:

I can't even load the listing for them now, lol. poo poo is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bardeh posted:

Apparently there are thousands of gem bags for sale for £0.03 each, but whenever I try and buy some it just tells me to try again.

E: uh, poo poo appears to be broken, or someone's figured out how to dupe these gems:

I'm going with the latter. GG Winter Auction.

• Locked thread