Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This isn’t dumb in the sense this thread usually uses it, i.e. marketers shooting themselves in the foot. It’s just baffling. Did ex Sony marketers come up with this or what?

This kitchen gadget will free you from the drudgery of stirring a pot, so that you can go practice your parkour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYRTHwkOjAs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hm... well, how do we make a product that already exists manly and exciting?

Let's just have him Stephen King's Cat's Eye across the town while his cream sauce is clotting

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I've been seeing these ads for Chick-fil-A soup and while they probably don't need to advertise I can't imagine a dumber soup ad.

The ad is basically: "our soup tastes like something and is warm".

OK? You've successfully described any soup. Why should I care about your soup?

Link: https://ispot.tv/a/qa1S

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

NeonPunk posted:

You don't really listen to the radio much out in rural areas do you?

I've always found that rural areas are where I'm most likely to listen to radio. There's always some weird stuff, some good stuff, some insane stuff. I love driving cross country and jumping from local low power station to local low power station.

Maybe one's a crazy religious station. Maybe one's a crazy talk radio station. Maybe one is country. Maybe one only plays Hüsker Dü 24/7.

In town, I just listen to NPR in general unless my kids are with me. They insist on music. I try to keep it '80s and '90's just so I can enjoy it. I can't take their terrible pop music. We have to listen to my terrible pop music.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Zero One posted:

I've been seeing these ads for Chick-fil-A soup and while they probably don't need to advertise I can't imagine a dumber soup ad.

The ad is basically: "our soup tastes like something and is warm".

OK? You've successfully described any soup. Why should I care about your soup?

Link: https://ispot.tv/a/qa1S

But is your soup made with Jesus

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I do use sacramental wine for flavour and communion wafers for thickener so yes.

Look, turns out robbing an archbishops house didn't actually turn up much useful stuff

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

I do use sacramental wine for flavour and communion wafers for thickener so yes.

Look, turns out robbing an archbishops house didn't actually turn up much useful stuff

I don't know, I got a pair of silver candlesticks out of it

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Brawnfire posted:

I don't know, I got a pair of silver candlesticks out of it

He was just a regular bishop. Also, he gave you some plates also, how could you least the best beeeeeeehiiiiiind

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sweet Jesus, what have I done?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Brawnfire posted:

Brawnfire, at last, we see each other plain.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Does cum count?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Brawnfire posted:

Become a thief in the night, become a dog on the run?

e: oh goddamnit christmas boots

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

bunnyofdoom posted:

You should try a Cardinal's house. Nice wine cellar and booze stacked to the ceiling.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Oh for the love of God, AvesPKS.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Platystemon posted:

This isn’t dumb in the sense this thread usually uses it, i.e. marketers shooting themselves in the foot. It’s just baffling. Did ex Sony marketers come up with this or what?

This kitchen gadget will free you from the drudgery of stirring a pot, so that you can go practice your parkour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYRTHwkOjAs

So like, i hate this marketing but tbh my grandma had very bad arthritis and this would have been a very helpful tool

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mandatory lesbian posted:

So like, i hate this marketing but tbh my grandma had very bad arthritis and this would have been a very helpful tool

These things have been around for ages under different brands, and AFAIK they never work.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

If it worked, which is a very big if given all the reviews of gimmicky cooking products I've seen.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, a lot of those gimmicky products have real uses for people with disabilities.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
There's a series of videos on the Epicurious YouTube channel called Well Equipped where a kitchen equipment design expert tests out gadgets and explains their various flaws and how he would redesign them to make them more functional and user friendly and it's honestly shocking to me how many of the As Seen on TV style gadgets he reviews that were seemingly not tested at any point in the manufacturing process. So many things that just don't work when it would only take minor changes to the design to get them to a functional state.

The videos are really entertaining and also show how unimportant it is for a product to actually do what it says on the packaging in order for it to be sold.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz3-p2q6vFYX5Ozz9N-vLzDANSQIyLSWx

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Yeah, a lot of those gimmicky products have real uses for people with disabilities.

Maybe the advertising for something that would be helpful for someone with arthritis should not emphasize that you can parkour with it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

We Got Us A Bread posted:

A few. Many barely work.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

if it worked, I'd really like it as a non-arthritis-haver so that I could keep the marinara/soup/gravy/etc stirred while I prep the next thing

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Volmarias posted:

Maybe the advertising for something that would be helpful for someone with arthritis should not emphasize that you can parkour with it.

The disabled are not a very big market segment and they know what they need, so the companies put their marketing money towards tricking people who don't actually need them. Credulous idiots watching infomercials are basically subsidizing the development costs of assistive devices

No able bodied person needs a blanket with sleeves, but it's a godsend for somebody in a wheelchair who can't just put on a sweater and some pjs when they're cold

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

flavor.flv posted:

No able bodied person needs a blanket with sleeves, but it's a godsend for somebody in a wheelchair who can't just put on a sweater and some pjs when they're cold
...should have picked a product that doesn't sound nice and comfortable.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

flavor.flv posted:

The disabled are not a very big market segment and they know what they need, so the companies put their marketing money towards tricking people who don't actually need them. Credulous idiots watching infomercials are basically subsidizing the development costs of assistive devices

The way I heard it explained is that putting any mention of "This device can be used for [medical purpose]" in the commercial takes too much effort (as in, government approval, oversight, etc), so they just show ads of "able-bodied person acting dumb" hoping that disabled folks see the ads and go "Aha, that could also work for MY specific disability."

Like, the companies are hoping for a "If you know, you know" thing.

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 03:38 on Feb 24, 2022

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Even in its own video the center of the pot isn't agitated at all. That's scorch city right there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Peanut Butler posted:

if it worked, I'd really like it as a non-arthritis-haver so that I could keep the marinara/soup/gravy/etc stirred while I prep the next thing

I think that there are automatic pot stirrers out there that do work. That just isn’t one of them.

I came across that gadget randomly in a search for a different class of product. I had to look it up on YouTube to see how it works.

It’s like a vibratory conveyor but upside down and round. Clever. Shame that the device doesn’t do what it’s supposed to.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 03:52 on Feb 24, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Peanut Butler posted:

Watching chemistry youtube has left me with a desire to one day own a lab style hotplate with an oversized magnetic stir bar

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If only Michael Hill had one of those to stir the tomato sauce, he could have kept an eye out for the helicopter!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

flavor.flv posted:

They could also have marketed it as "Hey, need to keep something stirring, but your kid is probably going to do something stupid when you're at that point and then the mix is ruined? Use this magic device and then deal with your childe making GBS threads on the floor while the mix is mixed for you!"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

https://twitter.com/jetsguy6/status/1496871231945154564?s=21

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Volmarias posted:

They could also have marketed it as "Hey, need to keep something stirring, but your kid is probably going to do something stupid when you're at that point and then the mix is ruined? Use this magic device and then deal with your childe making GBS threads on the floor while the mix is mixed for you!"

Just last night I was about to pull a huge pan of braised meat and vegetables out of the oven and suddenly both my kids are in the kitchen with instruments dancing around

So I feel this

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I do not want to watch the advertising faux pas, could someone write it out? Or is it even worth it beyond “someone at CNN is getting turbo-fired, and probably not the person who deserves it”

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I do not want to watch the advertising faux pas, could someone write it out? Or is it even worth it beyond “someone at CNN is getting turbo-fired, and probably not the person who deserves it”

It just transitions from air raid sirens as the shot pans over Ukraine, to an upbeat country music Applebee's commercial. Poor timing and a pretty dire juxtaposition, but just a grim coincidence rather than an intentional fuckup.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The dude in the commercial bustin' a move is hilarious, he's clearly celebrating the onset of WW3. :colbert:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Strong

Richmond has Fallen‼︎

energy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

we wish distinctly understood, that however much others may blow, WE DO NOT INTEND TO BE UNDERSOLD

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Our prices will rise again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

flavor.flv posted:

The snuggie was "invented" by a college student that wanted to be able to reach their tv remote without taking off their blanket. A lot of them are just dumb ideas someone thought they could sell. Actual assistive devices are usually sold that way.