Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder if flat earthers will finally disappear once commercial space flight becomes more affordable? Climbing everest is like $40,000 and people are literally lining up to do it. Going to space for a few hours and taking selfies in front of a window with Earth in the background is bound to become the new middle class aspiration if the price ever drops below $50k. Or will the conspiracy theorists just double down and insist those companies are fraudsters and the whole trip takes place in a simulator?
You can already see the curvature of the Earth from any flight long enough to warrant a high cruising altitude, so probably not. I don't think they have an answer for that, other than vague mumblings about optical illusions or something. And I doubt most flat-Earthers are going to be in a position to drop $50k in their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

your friend a dog posted:

If someone believes killing babies isn't murder, why should I debate them?

If someone believes women should cover their heads, faces and bodies, why should I debate them?

If someone thought Hillary Clinton would've been a good president, why should I debate them?

drat its almost like people have different viewpoints on things and conversation about them is how society develops.............. too bad you're a retarded dipshit who can't realize his high horse is a kid's rocking one

Ok, for a start, you're a stupid oval office.

For seconds, none of the things you quoted are provably true in either way, so yeah maybe you should debate them because there's nuance and degrees on each side.

The Earth being flat is trivially proven to be false by anyone with a junior high school diploma. Sorry your American public school education left you so far behind in both science and rhetoric.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Did you know that gps doesn't work in the southern hemisphere and that it's a land based system? And that airplane can only fly west in the northern hemisphere? CERN and the LHC are trying to open a portal to hell. I mean, it's sooooo obvious! They have a statue of SHIVA at their headquarters! Why would they do that if they didn't want to open a portal to hell? Just watch this 7 hour youtube series and learn with me!

The Freude is on me for having a close relative with no job, no friends, and an internet connection. I once had to explain to her why I was not going to be using the plans she purchased! to build a perpetual motion machine to power her house.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Memento posted:

Ok, for a start, you're a stupid oval office.

For seconds, none of the things you quoted are provably true in either way, so yeah maybe you should debate them because there's nuance and degrees on each side.

The Earth being flat is trivially proven to be false by anyone with a junior high school diploma. Sorry your American public school education left you so far behind in both science and rhetoric.

That's pretty obviously not what anyone was talking about to begin with when they said that the Alt-Left rejects other people's view points and refuses to respect them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

That's pretty obviously not what anyone was talking about to begin with when they said that the Alt-Left rejects other people's view points and refuses to respect them.

i'm sorry someone made fun of you for being racist or whatever caused you to be this much of a crybaby

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alaois posted:

i'm sorry someone made fun of you for being racist or whatever caused you to be this much of a crybaby

Someone disagreed with me, must be racist. :thumbsup:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

were you saying something about the Romani, that's always one people don't expect to get called out for

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alaois posted:

were you saying something about the Romani, that's always one people don't expect to get called out for

Are you Jon Pop? Because I bet the irony is going right over your head.

(he's short you see)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

JoelJoel posted:

Did you know that gps doesn't work in the southern hemisphere and that it's a land based system? And that airplane can only fly west in the northern hemisphere? CERN and the LHC are trying to open a portal to hell. I mean, it's sooooo obvious! They have a statue of SHIVA at their headquarters! Why would they do that if they didn't want to open a portal to hell? Just watch this 7 hour youtube series and learn with me!

The Freude is on me for having a close relative with no job, no friends, and an internet connection. I once had to explain to her why I was not going to be using the plans she purchased! to build a perpetual motion machine to power her house.

All of a sudden I'm so happy my crazy relatives lice on another continent. It's bad enough limping through the annual skype talk/lecture on cannabis curing everything/science is a lie/geographers are in it with satan flavour of the year.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

rly wish the white man had wiped out ur ancestors with the devestatin 1-2 punch of disease and iron

You seem like a real winner.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

You seem like a real winner.

Yes, that obviously serious post. You seem like a real smart dude.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Please stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1gtTVqmp3Q

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Somfin posted:

More like oldhypothesess

These don't get old :allears:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c36UNSoJenI

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

That's because, frequently, the views are bone crushingly stupid and have no actual evidence to back them up. Also "Tolerate my intolerance" will never cease to be funny. I don't have to tolerate it if you don't.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

.............. too bad you're a retarded dipshit who can't realize his high horse is a kid's rocking one

i don't care to keep the dumb political derail going but i think it's pretty funny this was apparently supposed to be a really sick burn on someone regardless of whatever the argument was

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Facebook Aunt posted:

Kinda like how cell phones and dash cams have made stories of UFOs, Sasquatches and the Loch Ness monster ever more unbelievable.

Sasquatch has always been unbelievable but the Finding Bigfoot TV show is somehow popular enough that their ninth series is currently airing. It's utterly bizarre that people are completely willing to believe that Bigfoot exists when there's never been any actual quantifiable evidence for it.

Knormal posted:

You can already see the curvature of the Earth from any flight long enough to warrant a high cruising altitude, so probably not. I don't think they have an answer for that, other than vague mumblings about optical illusions or something. And I doubt most flat-Earthers are going to be in a position to drop $50k in their lives.

Also you can see that the Earth is round from the shadow it casts during a lunar eclipse, as was noted by Aristotle. Also shadows are different lengths at latitudes, as was noted by Eratosthenes. Etc etc. Unless I guess those guys were in on the anti-flat earth conspiracy 22 centuries ago?

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Are you Jon Pop? Because I bet the irony is going right over your head.

(he's short you see)

Don't engage with probable rapists

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also you can see that the Earth is round from the shadow it casts during a lunar eclipse, as was noted by Aristotle. Also shadows are different lengths at latitudes, as was noted by Eratosthenes. Etc etc. Unless I guess those guys were in on the anti-flat earth conspiracy 22 centuries ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgA_7-bHvyo

This flat Earther video is actually one of the better demonstrations I’ve seen of Earth’s curvature.

Seriously, y’all, borrow a pair of binoculars next time you’re in a port city and watch ships drop below the horizon.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Smart little fucker, that badger is.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i don't care to keep the dumb political derail going but i think it's pretty funny this was apparently supposed to be a really sick burn on someone regardless of whatever the argument was

:grin:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

This flat Earther video is actually one of the better demonstrations I’ve seen of Earth’s curvature.

Seriously, y’all, borrow a pair of binoculars next time you’re in a port city and watch ships drop below the horizon.

There's also a whooooooole bunch of flat earth 'proof' videos where they show that moving a coin away on a flat surface such as a table will make it look like it's disappearing over the horizon exactly the same way that the sun appears to disappear over the horizon. Absolutely all of them set the camera below the level of the tabletop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7K6r6zZLs

:discourse:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Send camera into space. Done. :v:

Also, that's a really bad experiment. The sun doesn't grind across the surface of the Earth.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My personal favourite are the hollow earth people who say we're actually living _inside_ the planet. Evidence of this includes:

- The Challenger shuttle exploded because it hit the ceiling
- Stars are actually holes in the ceiling
-

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Danaru posted:

My personal favourite are the hollow earth people who say we're actually living _inside_ the planet.

All the geometric complexity of a spherical Earth, with none of the evidence.

Truly a great theory. :thumbsup:

Danaru posted:

- Stars are actually holes in the ceiling

This is a thing in the Elder Scrolls universe, probably some real‐world mythology as well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So is the flat earth movement actually gaining members these days, or are we just noticing it more because internet?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Data Graham posted:

So is the flat earth movement actually gaining members these days, or are we just noticing it more because internet?

It seems kind of quaint in comparison to most of the poo poo that happens these days.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Everyone trying to keep out the Mexicans and Muslims, meanwhile sovcitizens and flat earthers walking around this great country

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Platystemon posted:

This is a thing in the Elder Scrolls universe, probably some real‐world mythology as well.

In the Old Testament, The earth is basically a flat disc, with a dome above it that keeps a giant ocean restrained, and stars are lights on that dome. rain is water seeping through it, and the great flood was god opening literal floodgates.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

In the Old Testament, The earth is basically a flat disc, with a dome above it that keeps a giant ocean restrained, and stars are lights on that dome. rain is water seeping through it, and the great flood was god opening literal floodgates.

Terrry Pratchett was right.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

So we've been living in Rapture this whole time? There's a Saudi businessman I need to get on the phone...

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQaF4YXCXsc

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

spog posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was simply a case of them being great fans of Bruce and simply respecting his views.

Is anybody going to play at this inauguration? It seems like it is heading towards an empty stage.

Haha, the headliners right now are Toby Keith and 3 Doors Down. And someone from America's Got Talent is doing the national anthem.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

oldpainless posted:

One thing I never understood about the flat earth thing is, what's the end game? What is the benefit to having a flat earth?

Makes it easier to play Risk and Axis & Allies

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
It's a good thing Toby Keith tapped in to this vein of ultra-conservative feel good patriotism, because his music sucks balls

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ElGroucho posted:

It's a good thing Toby Keith tapped in to this vein of ultra-conservative feel good patriotism, because his music sucks balls

Toby Putin the Boot In.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ElGroucho posted:

sometimes my friends and i sing courtesy of the red white and blue during the fourth of july or while playing battlefield. its one of the worst songs ever.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Koby Teeth.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I believe in Bigfoot, or at least the possibility that some sort of large, undiscovered or long-thought extinct ape species was hanging around much more recently than we'd think.

Schadenfreude on me I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

I believe in Bigfoot, or at least the possibility that some sort of large, undiscovered or long-thought extinct ape species was hanging around much more recently than we'd think.

Schadenfreude on me I guess.

It's somewhat likely that a large, undiscovered ape species survived until fairly recently (in palaeontological terms) in some corner of the globe. Gigantopithecus didn't come out of nowhere, after all. However, the chances that a sustainable breeding population of large undescribed apes is currently living in North America is so exceedingly small as to be laughable. We can't actually say that the probability is zero but it's astronomically close to zero.

(I'm a massive Bigfoot skeptic but I would love to be proved wrong, I'm fascinated by cryptozoology.)

Edit: to bring this all back on topic, the schadenfreude is that hundreds and hundreds of people have dedicated countless hours and in many cases most of their lives into trying to find/capture/kill a mythical creature based on a bunch of hoaxes perpetrated back in the 1950s

Facebook Aunt posted:

Kinda like how cell phones and dash cams have made stories of UFOs, Sasquatches and the Loch Ness monster ever more unbelievable. At the rate people were encountering those things 20-30 years ago there should have been tons of new footage in the last 5 years, but there's almost nothing new.

Videos still turn up somewhat regularly. There were some news stories just a few days ago about 'compelling' new footage of a family of Bigfoots in Yellowstone Park . Judge for yourself:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 17:26 on Jan 18, 2017