Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

goodness posted:

Since they split the image

is metagold more powerful than ur-gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Mef989 posted:

I started Dark Angels in January. Haven't taken my other armies (Tau/Eldar) out of their cases since. Haven't played a Space Marine army since the Armageddon book was a thing.

No idea why I never started them sooner, but I'm hooked. Terminators, bikes and plasma are seriously some of my favorite things in 40k.

FWIW, I currently do not own any Hellblasters or Azrael. May change eventually though.

Having just restarted my DA army for the first time since 5th, I too am loving the plasma & terminator theme. I'm sitting here putting together a bunch of scouts & devastators when I noticed that Scout Sergeants are allowed to dual-wield pistols. I had no choice:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

is metagold more powerful than ur-gold?
Why be one gold when you can be all gold.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does the Nihilakh ability specifying transports mean that disembarking isn't movement? If Aggressors disembark from a Repulsor but otherwise don't move can they shoot twice?

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Zuul the Cat posted:

Called this finished just to take some pictures and realize I forgot to paint the sewer caps.

Armies on Parade is coming along nicely.

What was your technique for this? Looks awesome. Airbrush plus some detail work?

I want to make my imperial terrain pop a bit more and my lovely drybrushing skills don't help the situation.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Home from day one of Battlefield Birmingham where I finished up 2-1, and had an absolute blast.

Tabled an Imperial Soup list round 1. Opponent had Celestine, three bike captains, three Ravenwing Dark Talons, a command punisher russ and various troop choices. Was very ahead on both Vp and material by end of turn 2 and it became a race to see if I could table before game ended (tournament awards more points for tabling). Successfully punched the last hiding guardsman to death with a swooping hawk at the end of my turn 5 with three mins left on the round. My opponents last bike captain got a fairly metal finale, managing to multi charge then kill a wave serpent and a crimson hunter in the same round of combat.

G2 was against a horrifying Eldar list. Six fire prisms, two serpents, an Autarch, two hawk squads (all Ulthwe) and an Alaitoc air wing of three Crimson Hunter exarchs. I got the seize, and made the executive decision that I couldn’t punch the list off the table, and decided to try and max out on objectives and blow up his firebase, ignoring the hunters entirely. I still think this was the right plan, but my t1 shooting was a bit underwhelming, and I spent most of the game about one dead fire prism behind where I needed to be on attrition. Still very close - I managed to keep five storm guardians huddling behind a LOS blocker alive to the end of t5 .The look of horror on my opponents face when they pointed their last two prisms at them, more than enough to wipe them, and I spent my last command point on celestial shield, was something to behold. Sadly, the game didn’t end, so I extended the hand (VP score was something like 25-4 to me).

Game three was against thousand suns (Magnus, Ahriman, various friends). Opponent got the first turn and fired Magnus into my lines, cleaving a wave serpent in half while shooting cleared my screens. Most of my t1 was spent murdering Magnus, which I just about managed - he whiffed his deny on the doom, and my army ratcheted him down, with a heroic Banshee finally managing to shadow of the colossus his last wound off on the charge. T2 he cleared out a decent number of the aspect warriors that I’d moved in to fight Magnus, but on my T2 I did horrifying damage to his firebase and wiped several key units. At this point, I thought I’d definitely won.

Then his invuln saves just. Stopped. Failing. What was worse, my Maelstrom deck was taking brutal revenge for me wasting all those lovely points it gave me in the previous game, and giving me just complete trash (and there were kill points, and I had many more drops). I watched in mild horror as my opponent got an astonishing 9 vp in a turn to leapfrog me, leaving me scrabbling on t5 to come up with a plan of action not to lose a game that seemed unloseable two turns ago. Happily I was able to arrange things so that at EOT 5 I was on 31 to his 30, which felt like a moral victory given how thoroughly the RNG had sucker punched me (though would have been a draw under the tournament’s rules). As it happened, the game continued, and his lone remaining model (a demon prince) was thoroughly obliterated by my army, giving me my crushing victory.

Looking forward to day two, and loving how my army plays out - the greater extent to which it can brutally murder things that come play in my lines compared to “standard” Eldar lists seems to really catch people out.

One_Wing fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 10, 2018

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Soldier o Fortune posted:

What was your technique for this? Looks awesome. Airbrush plus some detail work?

I want to make my imperial terrain pop a bit more and my lovely drybrushing skills don't help the situation.

All brush work. I mostly just followed Duncan’s guide on YouTube, but changed some of the colors here and there.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
bashin' up some tzeentch cultists

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Two Beans posted:

Those are extremely good

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Booyah- posted:

It's not posted yet, but they did say that the price of the box is less than all the minis without including the new ones, so I think that caps the price at 150-160.

Super late, but thanks, Booyah-!

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
it is a potato tier picture, but I have finished my tyranids!

Such a nice fast to paint army.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Is recaster discussion allowed? Trying to find some contact info

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Two Beans posted:

These are excellent. Seamless spliced conversions without greenstuff are the most satisfying thing, and the mix of bits is flawless. Looking forward to more.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

goodness posted:

Is recaster discussion allowed? Trying to find some contact info

I believe the mod position is no when it comes to how to get them.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

R0ckfish posted:

Congratulations! :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I believe the mod position is no when it comes to how to get them.

Yeah.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It looks like my T'au tournament list is going to have almost 200 points freed up by incoming points changes, and another ~120ish points in formerly expensive upgrades now effectively free. And that's on top of the Sept Tenets.

I'm seriously considering running most of my bigger suits as Dal'yth and my infantry in Bork'An detachments. I think if I manage the detachments right I can end up with literally zero battlesuits or drones(30 Strike/Breachers, 30 Pathfinders, 2 Fireblades, 2 Ethereals), in the Bork'An detachments, and literally only battlesuits and drones (1 Commander, 2 Broadsides, 6 Stealth, 1 Riptide, 1 Ghostkeel, ~12ish shield drones) in the Dal'yth detachments.

I think if I keep that particular distinction in place I can justify it to myself as not being utterly min-maxed bullshit.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Super late, but thanks, Booyah-!

:cheers:

I already asked my LGS to hold one for me without seeing the price lol

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Two Beans posted:

These are really fun - the contrast of a grimy imperial mining settlement with a moonhead birdman cult. It’s not a cheap kitbash though! I salute you.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Strobe posted:

I think if I keep that particular distinction in place I can justify it to myself as not being utterly min-maxed bullshit.

If its tourney play whatever dog. Paint them up to represent their septs if that helps alleviate guilt.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Horrifying side realisation from Battlefield Birmingham - there are at least four armies in the room where > 75% of the points are spent on Custodes Bikes (usually about 50/50 regulars/captains). There might be more Custodes biker models in the room than players. Dark times.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine soon everyone will just be taking anti-custodian lists. Whatever those are.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

One_Wing posted:

Horrifying side realisation from Battlefield Birmingham - there are at least four armies in the room where > 75% of the points are spent on Custodes Bikes (usually about 50/50 regulars/captains). There might be more Custodes biker models in the room than players. Dark times.

My solution is going to be Hemlock + Mind War and a wide-range of other MW dealing abilities (Serpent Shields, Smite, Executioner, targeting non-3++ with Reapers etc...

In other new, I'm not sure that I'll complete my army prior to Adepticon and I've been brainstorming some alternatives and was wondering what people think of Fire Dragons. My all Craftworld list includes:
- Farseer Skyrunner
- Autarch Skyrunner (may or may not have relic granting -1 to hit in all phases)
- Farseer (may or may not have relic granting 12" fly move)
- Spiritseer
- 5x5 Dire Avengers with Exarch
- 1x5 Rangers
- x7 Shining Spears with Exarch
- x6 Swooping Hawks with Exarch
- x10 Dark Reapers (x3 with Tempest, x7 with Eldar Missile Launcher)
- Crimson Hunter Exarch
- Hemlock
- x2 Wave Serpents

However, I might be down two Shining Spears, so I've been thinking of dropping x2 Dark Reapers (and consolidating all remaining 8 into a single, Tempest launcher carrying squad), and x2 Shining Spears and then adding in x5 Fire Dragons with Exarch.

My thought is that the Fire Dragons can either ride one of the Serpents or come in on a Webway Strike in support of the Shining Spears (who might also be webway striking). If the Fire Dragons can melt one unit while the Spears, being Quickened, either finish off the unit and charge another it could provide some interesting problems from a target priority standpoint. I realize that point for point the Dragons are not as useful as either of the models being dropped, but I really like hte models and also it's a bit different.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

One_Wing posted:

Hopefully GW will balance things in the March update. If not sometime over the summer. I imagine things are locked for Adepticon though. They're basically the perfect tournament unit though; easy to paint, relatively inexpensive for the points cost, and extremely flexible.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I'm both hoping for and dreading an update before Adepticon.

I'm a little surprised that GW wouldn't release it before then though, they have to know the annual event schedule and Adepticon would serve as the best possible market test for their changes due to the concentration of competitive games and general increased awareness of data collection on those games. The next highly visible opportunity wouldn't come until September with NOVA (though im not sure if BAO) falls in there somewhere.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

One_Wing posted:

It's this year's riptide.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It's a shame. I'm currently painting up 6 of them (1 captain, 5 jobbers) and as soon as they leave the case someone calls me a cheesemonger.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

R0ckfish posted:

Looks very cool laid out like that

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Biovores looked fun. Finecast is bullshit. Solution?

Counts-As posted:

GENESTEALER CULTIST INFECTED MORTAR PLATFORMS LOBBING SPORE MINES, MOTHERFUCKER.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
hahaha that fuckin owns so much

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Boon posted:

Yeah, I'm both hoping for and dreading an update before Adepticon.

I'm a little surprised that GW wouldn't release it before then though, they have to know the annual event schedule and Adepticon would serve as the best possible market test for their changes due to the concentration of competitive games and general increased awareness of data collection on those games. The next highly visible opportunity wouldn't come until September with NOVA (though im not sure if BAO) falls in there somewhere.

You don't want to use one of the largest tournaments in the world as an experiment, especially when you have a unit like Shield Captains who haven't been seen in a major event yet.

It looks like they decided the big FAQs will come post Adepticon, post Nova, and at the end of the busy fall tournament season.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You don't want to use one of the largest tournaments in the world as an experiment, especially when you have a unit like Shield Captains who haven't been seen in a major event yet.

It looks like they decided the big FAQs will come post Adepticon, post Nova, and at the end of the busy fall tournament season.

Yeah, Shield captains are probably going to get dealt with in some manner, but I'm guessing they want more evidence than minor tourneys to make sure they aren't overreacting. I think they're a bit gunshy about shooting from the hip soon after a codex release and without a major tournament worth of data after nerfing both conscripts and commissars into the ground to the degree that they never see the table.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It also comes with the territory of promoting a new edition as "this one actually balances armies and isn't a joke game!", last-minute changes before a tourney is something a company with no goodwill does to hawk new stuff, especially in a game where last minute changes can mean ordering/assembling/painting 1-30 new units.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Felime posted:

Yeah, Shield captains are probably going to get dealt with in some manner, but I'm guessing they want more evidence than minor tourneys to make sure they aren't overreacting. I think they're a bit gunshy about shooting from the hip soon after a codex release and without a major tournament worth of data after nerfing both conscripts and commissars into the ground to the degree that they never see the table.
If this was a video game, I could see them responding before Adepticon. I don't think that they're gunshy, but it would be a bad idea to invalidate a major tournament option less than 2 weeks before the event. People have put in time painting, training, and prepping for transport.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Neurolimal posted:

It also comes with the territory of promoting a new edition as "this one actually balances armies and isn't a joke game!", last-minute changes before a tourney is something a company with no goodwill does to hawk new stuff, especially in a game where last minute changes can mean ordering/assembling/painting 1-30 new units.

Yeah, these are good points

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Given the lead time for getting new models tournament ready it would certainly make the most sense for them to coordinate releasing major FAQs and errata with really big events like Adepticon. I think most tournaments already have a cutoff a month or two before their event where rules updates after that date don’t count and if GW really do want to integrate back into the competitive scene it would make a lot of sense to sort of follow that example.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Biovores looked fun. Finecast is bullshit. Solution?

GENESTEALER CULTIST INFECTED MORTAR PLATFORMS LOBBING SPORE MINES, MOTHERFUCKER.

These are legit awesome.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Neurolimal posted:

Adepticon is less than two weeks away so even if there were changes I don't think they'd apply to the tournament.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Serious question: aside from loving really hard with Admech, how would the game be affected by limiting all HQs to one slot per detachment? Anything you want to be able to include multiples of (Cadre Fireblade, for example; Lieutenants for how it already works) would fit multiple within a single slot.

It'd make using Brigades more difficult, which I don't think is a bad thing, and it'd completely decapitate spamming the best and most cost-efficient HQs like happens(/happened) in at least three other armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
It'd make non-mars brigades actually impossible for admech but other than that easy enough, though its coming at the problem from the wrong angle since you dont see people running multiple warbosses or non-Bangles marine captains and so on, better that they find a role and price for those outlier HQs that actually fits them being leaders of the army.