Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Bobby hasn't responded. :(

I was going to make something about Penny's anger being misplaced since companies for the most part have been profitable for the past few years, but they have decided to not hire; however, I couldn't get it concise and not ramble-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Phone posted:

Bobby hasn't responded. :(

I was going to make something about Penny's anger being misplaced since companies for the most part have been profitable for the past few years, but they have decided to not hire; however, I couldn't get it concise and not ramble-y.

Andrew's comments about the Dow Jones are pretty bad in terms of using that as an economic indicator. Sure, stocks are up, but that's only affecting stockholders and CEOs. The middle class is still reeling from the down economy, however.

El Anansi
Jan 27, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Ah. I can't remember the precise incident, but I was told about it in more detail in an honors American Cultures course by a professor who specializes in examining Race Relations in America, so I'm 95% sure it's not bullshit. And yeah, loving demented. Lynch culture in the late 1800s and early 1900s is loving terrifying to read about.

You're thinking of the lynching of Claude Neal in 1934--I remember reading this account of it back in the day:

quote:

A member of the lynching party described what transpired in all of its ghastliness, down to the minutest detail:

"After taking the friend of the family to the woods about four miles from Greenwood, they cut off his penis. He was made to eat it. They cut off his testicles and made him eat them and say he liked it. . . .Then they sliced his sides and stomach with knives and every now and then somebody would cut off a finger or toe. Red hot irons were used on the friend of the family to burn him from top to bottom. From time to time during the torture a rope was tied around Neal's neck and he was pulled up over a limb and held there until he almost choked to death. Then he was let down and the torture began all over again. After several hours of this unspeakable torture, they decided just to kill him.

I'd be surprised if that was the only time that happened, or even really an isolated incident--emasculating sexual humiliation would seem a natural choice given the extent to which Southern racism dealt with the fear of black men ravaging their white daughters with their bestial virility and what have you.

It's hard not to be really angry with people who downplay this history. I'd say they can go eat a dick, but... y'know. :(

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

seiferguy posted:

Andrew's comments about the Dow Jones are pretty bad in terms of using that as an economic indicator. Sure, stocks are up, but that's only affecting stockholders and CEOs. The middle class is still reeling from the down economy, however.

Yeah, I'm Andrew. I know it's not a great indicator, but it's an easy go to for "hey, maybe the economy isn't in total poo poo" even though that the wage disparity between the middle/lower class and the upper class has only widened.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

El Anansi posted:

You're thinking of the lynching of Claude Neal in 1934--I remember reading this account of it back in the day:

I'd be surprised if that was the only time that happened, or even really an isolated incident--emasculating sexual humiliation would seem a natural choice given the extent to which Southern racism dealt with the fear of black men ravaging their white daughters with their bestial virility and what have you.

It's hard not to be really angry with people who downplay this history. I'd say they can go eat a dick, but... y'know. :(

They can eat a loving red hot iron is what they can eat.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magres posted:

Also even if someone treated their slaves decently, THEY WERE STILL loving SLAVES. :mad:

That's such an abysmal argument.

This is more or less how Republicans think Slavery went down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrZZQzyhp7g

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

seiferguy posted:

But the catch is, if Penny makes that argument, he can say "So you're admitting Reaganomics doesn't work? :smugbert:"

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Woohoo, I actually feel this was a productive conversation:

There are a few more comments including him posting a drawing of a unicorn with a buncha dicks coming out of it so it has a happy ending. Links to picture available upon request.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

baw posted:

There are a few more comments including him posting a drawing of a unicorn with a buncha dicks coming out of it so it has a happy ending. Links to picture available upon request.

Why would you even make us wait? :colbert:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Poizen Jam posted:

and a street-living-kicked-out-of-his-home-at-16-train-hopping-thief of a grandfather on the other who eventually enlisted, worked hard, was sponsored to go back to school, got a commission, and eventually rose to the rank of Major as a nuclear safety officer.

The latter is a bit bootstrappy in some regards, but on the whole

Government-dependent taker mooch-leech.

Amused to Death posted:

quote:

8. 80% of wealthy make hbd calls vs. 11% of poor

What is an HBD call?

edit: All I can find is "human biodiversity," which is code for white supremacy.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 25, 2013

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Original filename is "Stamper Dickface Unicorn," you weirdos. :colbert:

It's a pretty good description.

:nws:, of course. :nws:

I responded "why does that drawing exist" and he replied "In case of an emergency." All in all he's a decent guy and I hope I can prod him in the right direction over time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Bobby responded!

vv - done

Phone fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 25, 2013

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Ask him why inflation is so low if the Fed is devaluing the currency.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Phone posted:

Bobby responded!

The hand with which I hold my "COOL AID" trembles in fear at the mere thought of the evil Obmur, the sword thief who plagues our land :obmur:

e: that was supposed to end with :ohdear:, but now I'm wondering what an :obmur: smilie would look like

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

El Anansi posted:

Occasionally, I dabble in lynching research. I've never come across a specific event quite like that, but there were a ton of lynchings with their own unique twists. Cutting up the body, selling body parts as souvenirs all happened in multiple places. Louisiana was seemingly the most sickeningly creative. One case had a man tied up and placed up the rear end of a hollowed out cow carcass (whether it had bones or was just skin, I don't recall). His head was the only part outside the cow. He was then left to starve to death and be picked at by wildlife.

People would sent out false alarms, pretend to be law enforcement, burn down jails, anything to get at the accused. Leo Frank, whose body wasn't ravaged at death - though his clothes were - was stolen from a state penitentiary in the dead of night by a band who cut electrical and phone wires as they went, making it impossible to send out alerts in a section of the country that had pretty much zero technology to begin with.

Of course, lynch culture wasn't just about false rape claims. Emmett Till was accused (emphasis on accused) of whistling at a white woman. Attempting to educate other African-Americans, attempting to seek a better job, having sex, sundown towns and in general being a different race were all reported in contemporary sources. Very little of it was actual Klan activity at that. Lynch culture didn't really start breaking down until the 1920s and a greater national awareness of southern shitheadedness. Jim Crow didn't start breaking up overtly until the national media started picking up on it, too.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Asking him also why he's not stockpiling Euros or Yen is the dollar is becoming so worthless, or failing that, just ask if you can have his money since its worthless.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Phone posted:

Bobby responded!

vv - done

I really, really hope Bobby keeps posting. He's exactly the kind of moron who's fun to annihilate in an argument.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Magres posted:

I really, really hope Bobby keeps posting. He's exactly the kind of moron who's fun to annihilate in an argument.

Somebody doesn't know how T-Bills work. :allears:

If anybody wants to help me craft a reply, I don't mind.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Magres posted:

I hope he gets annihilated in a fistfight afterwards.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Phone posted:

I always liked the "that'd be like your bank demanding you pay your house off all at once tomorrow" analogy. It works well because it's true (afaik) and uses their "THE GUBMINT IS LIKE A HOUSEHOLD DEBT BAD" crap against them.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Phone posted:

"You don't understand how treasury bills work"

That seems like a pretty good response.

Also we only borrow like 17% of what we spend now since the deficit for 2013 is expected to be around $670 billion. The deficit was $1.3 trillion when Obama took office, you know what that means? Obama is the quickest deficit cutter in memory :smug:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Amused to Death posted:

Also we only borrow like 17% of what we spend now since the deficit for 2013 is expected to be around $670 billion. The deficit was $1.3 trillion when Obama took office, you know what that means? Obama is the quickest deficit cutter in memory :smug:

"ANDREW YOUR DUMB THAT ONLY CAUSE REPUBLICANS MADE OBMUR CUT"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I got this so far:

quote:

You don’t understand how treasury bills work. China trying to redeem all of their T-Bills would be like your bank demanding you pay your house off all at once tomorrow.

Also we only borrow like 17% of what we spend now since the deficit for 2013 is expected to be around $670 billion. The deficit was $1.3 trillion when Obama took office, you know what that means? Obama is the quickest deficit cutter in memory.

I was going to be a passive aggressive rear end in a top hat and fix his spelling/grammar, but it's still just as incoherent. Just WITH less RaNDOM Capitialization!!!!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Amused to Death posted:

I agree.

If you don't want to actually try to educate him, you could say that Tbills are just "Pay $X today and get $X+Y after Z years."

Additionally, the free market has determined that Tbills are such a desirable commodity that they've had to cut that +Y amount until it is a negative rate of return, if you count inflation at least. Businesses are buying a guaranteed way to lose money because it's such a sure bet.

Finally, even if China could "call in all its 'loans' tomorrow" it wouldn't be that big a deal:

The vast majority of US debt is owned by the US or its citizens. Much of the rest is owned by allies. Also, that number is from 2011. China may have divested more of its bonds, because once again it's a guaranteed loss of money (but the market is saying it's less of a loss than sticking it in some stocks, at least until very recently.)

E: However, for a long time China was buying Tbills to keep the US economy going, because they export a ton of poo poo to the US and if they can't buy, China can't sell.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 25, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Phone posted:

I got this so far:

I was going to be a passive aggressive rear end in a top hat and fix his spelling/grammar, but it's still just as incoherent. Just WITH less RaNDOM Capitialization!!!!

Actually it's even more absurd than if your bank wanted you to pay all at once tomorrow. That would just ruin you. China would lose hundreds of billions of dollars as well as loving up its own preferred exchange rate. China 'calling in its loans' would basically do nothing in the long run but hurt China.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Shitttttt looks like the Facebook thread was deleted right before I was going to effort post. gently caress!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Imagine if instead of investing time and money in a gun and firearms training, you invested in an AED and CPR certification.

Statistics show that carrying a gun correlates to riskier behaviors, possibly because that gun makes that dark alley seem like a less dangerous path.

I don't think they've done a similar study on people who carry an AED, I'm guessing that it wouldn't increase risky behavior and would probably end up in an email about wasteful government spending.

Guns are huge risk factors for suicide, the availability of an effective suicide method greatly increases the likelihood that someone will kill themselves. They won't necessarily seek out some other means, usually the feeling passes and life goes on.

I'm pretty sure that an AED won't work unless you're actually having a heart attack. I don't think there have even been any injuries from people trying.

Firearms can dramatically increasing the likelihood that a domestic dispute becomes a murder. A firearm can turn your drunk teenager trying to come in through a window because he lost his keys into a dead teenager.

Maybe I should work on this and make a left wing email forward.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/07/12/men-new-second-class-citizens/

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

There's...really nothing to say to a person like that. If you honestly believe men are existentially persecuted, you have long since cut ties with reality.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

quote:

In 1977, a group of women at Yale used Title IX to claim sexual harassment and violence constitute discrimination against women.

Oh no, discrimination against women was classified as discrimination against women!

Also, whether it's a man or a woman referring to it, Men Going Their Own Way (which I can only presume she's referring to) will never not be funny.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

lousy hat posted:

Oh no, discrimination against women was classified as discrimination against women!

Also, whether it's a man or a woman referring to it, Men Going Their Own Way (which I can only presume she's referring to) will never not be funny.

Sexually Going Galt

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Phone posted:

"Yes, I'm sure China is going to call in the debt against their biggest trade partner and annihilate their own economy just to be petty"

:laffo:

White males don't have to organize or form groups, they're already in charge of most everything

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

There are certain things about being male that suck: the vast majority of homeless are male, at least in the US; divorce law and custody cases are biased to favor women without any evidence-based rationale, etc. Systemic misandry is so ingrained into so many cultures that trying to point out the mere fact that it exists gets you shouted down, even here at SA; men are the biggest pushers of misandry in western culture, which is bizarre. This guy is going way over the top, of course, but it's not all beer and blowjobs for men.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

lousy hat posted:

The funny thing is that case basically did nothing because Yale just had to settle with the feds for covering up sexual assualt.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

EightBit posted:

Systemic misandry is so ingrained into so many cultures that trying to point out the mere fact that it exists gets you shouted down...
You're welcome to try to prove it. It's wrong, but you're welcome to try. :allears:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

You're welcome to try to prove it. It's wrong, but you're welcome to try. :allears:

We men, who control the entire loving world, have, out of our own stupidity, rigged the system against ourselves. QED

Checkmate, Feminazi :smuggo:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

EightBit posted:

There are certain things about being male that suck: the vast majority of homeless are male, at least in the US; divorce law and custody cases are biased to favor women without any evidence-based rationale, etc. Systemic misandry is so ingrained into so many cultures that trying to point out the mere fact that it exists gets you shouted down, even here at SA; men are the biggest pushers of misandry in western culture, which is bizarre. This guy is going way over the top, of course, but it's not all beer and blowjobs for men.

I've heard that while women usually get custody, it's because men tend to not fight for it. When men actually push to get custody the results are much fairer.

Men suffer from sexism and patriarchy too. There's a general belief that violence against men isn't a big deal. Under what circumstances is it appropriate for a man to hit a man? Under what circumstances is it appropriate for a man to hit a woman? Under what circumstances is it appropriate for a woman to hit a man? Ideally the answer would be something like "self defense, to prevent someone from being seriously injured, while sparring in a boxing match" in all cases but for a lot of people there's a difference.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Imagine if instead of investing time and money in a gun and firearms training, you invested in an AED and CPR certification.

Statistics show that carrying a gun correlates to riskier behaviors, possibly because that gun makes that dark alley seem like a less dangerous path.

I don't think they've done a similar study on people who carry an AED, I'm guessing that it wouldn't increase risky behavior and would probably end up in an email about wasteful government spending.

Guns are huge risk factors for suicide, the availability of an effective suicide method greatly increases the likelihood that someone will kill themselves. They won't necessarily seek out some other means, usually the feeling passes and life goes on.

I'm pretty sure that an AED won't work unless you're actually having a heart attack. I don't think there have even been any injuries from people trying.

Firearms can dramatically increasing the likelihood that a domestic dispute becomes a murder. A firearm can turn your drunk teenager trying to come in through a window because he lost his keys into a dead teenager.

Maybe I should work on this and make a left wing email forward.

Dahlberg et al (2004), Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home, 935:

quote:

The findings of this study add to the body of research showing an association between guns in the home and risk of a violent death. Those persons with guns in the home were at significantly greater risk than those without guns in the home of dying from a suicide in the home relative to other causes of death. This finding was particularly the case for males, who in general have higher rates of completed suicide than females do. The findings showing an increased risk of homicide in homes with guns are also consistent with previous research (14, 20, 23, 24), although, when compared with suicide, are not as strong. Studies that have examined the risk of either violent victimization or perpetration at the individual level show relative risks between 1.4 and 2.7 (14, 20, 23, 24). Our findings are also in this range.

Our findings also suggest that the presence of a gun in the home increases the chance that a homicide or suicide in the home will be committed with a firearm rather than by using other means. Victims of suicide living in homes with guns were more than 30 times more likely to have died from a firearm-related suicide than from one committed with a different method. Guns are highly lethal, require little preparation, and may be chosen over less lethal methods to commit suicide, particularly when the suicide is impulsive. Suicidal persons may also be more likely to acquire a gun to commit suicide and, given the lethality of the weapon, are more likely to complete suicide, although the evidence on this point is mixed (20–22).

For victims of homicide, there was also a strong association between guns in the home and risk of dying from a firearm related homicide, but this risk varied by age and whether the person was living with others at the time of death. These deaths may have been related to domestic violence or to other interpersonal disputes either involving them or someone else in the household. The majority of victims knew their assailant, suggesting that the assailant was either a family member or was acquainted with the victim or victim’s family and less likely to be an unknown intruder.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full

On top of that, in 2011 in the United States there were 5,595 murders by someone the victim knew versus just 1,481 by a stranger (discounting the 5,588 unknowns), which means that of known offenders just 21% are committed by a stranger. And justifiable homicide statistics are pretty staggeringly low, at just 260, 201 of which were with firearms.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-10

So if we analyze that data combined with the journal article above, we find that you're a) way more likely to kill yourself with a gun than someone else; b) more likely to be killed by a gun if you own one than if you don't; c) way more likely to be killed by someone you know than by some random stranger where your CCL would help you; and d) extremely unlikely to ever actually use your gun for its intended purpose, i.e. justifiable homicide in self-defence.

This of course is all discounting the fact that you're most likely to never need your gun at all, and your time and money would be better spent slip-proofing your bathtub, buying healthier food, and getting rid of your car, because any one of those three things is more likely to save your life and the lives of your loved ones than owning a gun is.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've heard that while women usually get custody, it's because men tend to not fight for it. When men actually push to get custody the results are much fairer.

This is true. 30% of men off the bat don't seek any custody(compared to 3% of women) Most custody cases don't even go to court or some kind of mediation.
http://www.divorcepeers.com/stats18.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Men suffer from sexism and patriarchy too. There's a general belief that violence against men isn't a big deal. Under what circumstances is it appropriate for a man to hit a man? Under what circumstances is it appropriate for a man to hit a woman? Under what circumstances is it appropriate for a woman to hit a man? Ideally the answer would be something like "self defense, to prevent someone from being seriously injured, while sparring in a boxing match" in all cases but for a lot of people there's a difference.

Honestly, I wish it were socially acceptable for men to wear makeup. I would if it were.