Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
It's dumb that Bricklink doesn't have an easy upload for LDD part lists. That just feels like bad business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

oneof27 posted:

It's dumb that Bricklink doesn't have an easy upload for LDD part lists. That just feels like bad business.

There are plenty of programs that will change your LDD file into xml wanted list format for an easy upload.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I have all the minifigs from the 79003 Hobit Hole set and I would be wiling to sell them cheap. I simply have no attachment to LotR or The Hobbit, I've never read the books or watched any of the movies.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't really care for much of the Hobbit adaptation when it comes to characters. The set, on the other hand, is really gorgeous.

The Rage posted:

I have a bunch of LotR sets that I'm probably never going to open, if you've got any Star Wars sets for trade PM me.

Unfortunately the only Star Wars sets I have other than what I have bought recently is Cloud City, an old Anakin Starfighter, a V-Wing, a ton of small midi things, and Yoda's hut and that X-wing. And they're all assembled.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Zodack posted:

Cloud City

:eyepop:

You should, uh, probably check our some Bricklink prices.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FadingChord posted:

Wow. Why is it so expensive? Congrats Zodack I guess you can buy whatever LOTR Lego you want.

Looking it up I found this :wtf: are these people smoking?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-10123-...SWbekALRI2heTuw

All of their other auctions seem to be normal prices too.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

FadingChord posted:

Haha yeah, I've had Boba and Lando in a display case for a while.

NESguerilla posted:

Wow. Why is it so expensive?

I've looked into it before. It's a weird combo of things. LEGO was on hard times around then, but they decided to release the set which was a) really awful b) overpriced and c) featured the first color minifig (iirc) with an exclusive cape and d) featured a minifigure with arm and leg printing, which was an expensive process and risky for them to do during that time.

Throw it all together and take into account the fact that nobody liked the set when it was released and few people bought it, and you get a weird collector's wet dream. It's pretty bizarre.

EDIT: Yeah, generally speaking Boba Fett goes for about $500 (usually less) and Lando goes for about $175 (usually less). Don't believe the rest of the lunatics trying to sell them for 8 grand or whatever.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 23, 2016

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Odd request but does anybody have a Lego Bric-Vac, set 1666, laying around for sell?

My daughter loves her Lego but not so much on the clean up side, I figure a Bric- Vac would make clean up time fun and interesting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would imagine those are going to be super rare.. if you're unable to find one, an alternative might be one of those cinch sacks. Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S9QF7QE?psc=1

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's also the one with the parrot (1874) and the bus (4144) if that helps expand your search.

The 2004 Block-o-Dile (5359) is a lot less rare though. $25-$30 on eBay.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So, uh, with a paycheck coming up, expenses and savings looking good, and a more flexible work schedule right now, I'm looking to make another big LEGO purchase. I'm thinking about the Sydney Opera House, but mostly as a source of bricks for MOCs. Is that a wise idea? It's got fewer pieces than the Tower Bridge and a higher price tag, but the Tower Bridge looks like it's got a ton of really small ones that might have limited utility as anything other than parts of a wall, despite being far better value in price-per-brick.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Unwanted pieces are unwanted regardless if the price per piece is low. For that reason, I buy the tubs when I want bulk bricks since I mainly want larger 2x and 1x bricks, then buy a few small sets to get brackets and other small pieces.

You can also buy bricks by pound off eBay but no matter what the seller says it will always be laced with Mega Blocks/Dulpo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, don't buy sets just for MOC-making purposes. If you need specific parts, get them off bricklink, and if you need large amounts of a particular color, there's sellers on Ebay who deal in bulk type/color lots(plates, panels, bricks, etc). For just pure lego piece stock, the aforementioned lego per pound lots on ebay or goodwill auctions will set you up nicely.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Light and dark grey in bulk seems to run more expensive, it's a super popular color for large builds and it keeps the supply down.

But if you want blue or red or something, have fun!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Hm. I suppose you're right; I don't especially want a Sydney Opera House or a Tower Bridge to display, but rather a bunch of pieces to make cool spaceships with. Maybe I'll play around in LDD to get a better sense of the pieces I'd want.

The real issue is that I didn't get any LEGO after about 1997, so I have almost no gray or tan bricks.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Got tricked into having to buy the full Avengers game just to get my stupid Iron Man today. I was trying to get the polybag just from the pre-order, and the clerk played it that way until I had paid and then followed up with a "you can get your guy when the full game comes out".

Guess I'm going to have to do the awkward "I'm returning this game because I just wanted a silly LEGO man" walk in a few days.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
My local Target just got restocked with Jurassic World sets. What the hell?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

A Bad Poster posted:

Mine too, that was strange to see.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Chris Pratt's destiny is forever entwined with that of the LEGO Group.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
So I spent 2-3 hours last night Bricklinking parts for the Ichiban Blade Runner Spinner. Oh man is THAT a fun time. Is there a faster way to do it than printing off a parts list and hoping to hit upon a store that has most of what you need?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

GlenMR posted:

So I spent 2-3 hours last night Bricklinking parts for the Ichiban Blade Runner Spinner. Oh man is THAT a fun time. Is there a faster way to do it than printing off a parts list and hoping to hit upon a store that has most of what you need?

If you have an LDD of it you can convert it to an xml, which you can upload onto your wanted list.
Alternatively, you can add the pieces to your wanted list one at a time if you have them written down.

After they're on your wanted list, you can search for stores that contain some or all of your wanted list in them, although the prices won't always be the best.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They should really just do an official Blade Runner set.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Zodack posted:

If you have an LDD of it you can convert it to an xml, which you can upload onto your wanted list.
Alternatively, you can add the pieces to your wanted list one at a time if you have them written down.

After they're on your wanted list, you can search for stores that contain some or all of your wanted list in them, although the prices won't always be the best.

Huh, I didn't think to use the wanted list. Thanks.

I was lucky enough to find most parts in 2 stores, and get the rest 1 or two at a time. Minimum buy rules make that really hard, although I guess I understand why it's the case.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

A Bad Poster posted:

They got another print run a little bit ago. I guess they sold pretty well.

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?
Is there a historical/political/other reason to avoid BrickOwl for project purchases that I'm unaware of?

I've used Bricklink for years when I was doing bulk purchasing (x of this brick, buying wheels and tires for Technic stuff, etc), and while I'm familiar with and can wrangle getting stuff from LDD into an XML format and then integrating that to a wanted list then managing that and tracking down stuff by number of lots in shops, etc etc etc, it's a pain.

I gave Brickowl a try on two recent projects (building 2 different takes on a Seaduck from Talespin, a proper "stairs in your house"-level geek task) and was impressed - direct LDD import to wanted list, pretty slick dynamic shop selection process and cost estimates, order processes, wanted list updates, tracking, etc. It was night and day, and I actually saved quite a bit (even though some of the brick prices seemed slightly higher, the ability to shuffle purchases between shops, sub in parts, etc, ended up with parts from way fewer shops). The interface for looking at parts availability, what sets it was in, etc - seemed to pull together functions I was jumping all over BL/Peeron/etc for.

Just trying to see if there's something I'm missing (beyond "bricklink was first", which is legitimate), since I know most of the sellers populate their inventory in both (saw all the familiar names) and Bricklink is no longer tied to the creator directly (RIP).

One of the planes is complete - suffers from the normal "virtual build" stability issues with single stud or single beam connections, but works fine on a baseplate, I'll post up some pics later.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think it's mostly that people already know bricklink.

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?

Dogen posted:

I think it's mostly that people already know bricklink.

That's what I figured - just didn't know if there was an elephant in the room I wasn't supposed to mention.

In other news, managed to correct my oversight on picking up Red Five before it disappeared - lucked into one complete and previously assembled, shipped, with a box for under the original retail + tax. I'll finish breaking it down before reassembling from scratch - I have other UCS stuff but the size of this blew me away.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Oh, nice. I got an unopened one at what I considered an acceptable premium, but saving money is always good. It's a really awesome model, and quite a big one. Just a bit too big for minifigs, though R2 doesn't look bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

R2 looks too drat small to me.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
The engines are the really too small part, unfortunately, but to be honest the minifig-scale X-Wings just look hideous to me. The exception IMO is the newest one from TFA where I think the got the proportions right. A big part of that is the new canopy piece, of course.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Visited a third party Lego store in the Seattle area today and scored the Star Destroyer. Place was amazing, finally got to see a UCS Destroyer and drool.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

The Rage posted:

Visited a third party Lego store in the Seattle area today and scored the Star Destroyer. Place was amazing, finally got to see a UCS Destroyer and drool.

Bricks R 4 Kidz?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

featurecreep posted:

Bricks R 4 Kidz?

Bricks and Wheels down in Kent, they opened a second store in Factoria recently too, gonna go check it out tomorrow during lunch.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Lotsa Seattle dudes up in here.

I stumbled across that Factoria store a little while ago. Sort of surprised such a thing could stay in business, much less operate in multiple locations. Seemed nice enough, but I didn't see too much that I couldn't get at retail for much the same price. Although, to be fair, I wasn't really looking at any opened sets in ziplock bags. And I was mostly looking for older Ninjago sets.

I guess it's a good place to pick up the odd minifigure, if you don't want to bother hunting it down online. Easy to take your kids in there and let them pick a few out, which is what I saw happening while I was there.

I'd be glad to hear a more informed opinion, though. I haven't been able to pick up a lot of Lego lately, so I really wasn't in a hunting mode.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah both of the sets I picked up today were retired sets, and the markup wasn't enormous by any means. I wouldn't go there just for new stuff since both stores are farther away than the Bellevue Lego store from me, but was still a cool place with bricklink-esque prices w/o shipping on older stuff.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

First Order Tie Fighter (75101) is pretty darn cool for a Star Wars set. Especially at the Amazon price of $56 rather than MSRP of $70. Lots of neat techniques especially on the wings and how they connect, and only a few stickers, with the cockpits being really nice printed pieces. Of course since it's a tie fighter, the wings are duplicate builds (and each in separate bags). At least the main body skips some symmetry since it has that red stripe down one side.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/First-Order-Special-Forces-TIE-fighter-75101

Here's the previous Tie Fighter for reference: http://brickset.com/sets/9492-1

I'm not sure how they managed to use 100 more bricks in the new set, but they also added $15 to the price. :(

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

First Order Tie Fighter (75101) is pretty darn cool for a Star Wars set. Especially at the Amazon price of $56 rather than MSRP of $70. Lots of neat techniques especially on the wings and how they connect, and only a few stickers, with the cockpits being really nice printed pieces. Of course since it's a tie fighter, the wings are duplicate builds (and each in separate bags). At least the main body skips some symmetry since it has that red stripe down one side.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/First-Order-Special-Forces-TIE-fighter-75101

Here's the previous Tie Fighter for reference: http://brickset.com/sets/9492-1

I'm not sure how they managed to use 100 more bricks in the new set, but they also added $15 to the price. :(

I'm on the fence about this set because I want the UCS version, and I'm a scale queen, but I do have the older smaller X-Wing that needs an enemy....

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I don't think the UCS TIE is to scale with the UCS Red Five either, though.

BTW in Star Wars news, from Brickset I learned that a white/blue TFA X-Wing will be coming out this year, with a few new features to distinguish it from the black/orange one that's already out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man I really did well when I caught a fresh S15 Minifigure shipment at Target. I felt the bags a little but didn't go crazy. I have 14/16.

Will just need Farmer and Native American Woman.

I have 2 extra (unopened) Shark guys and 1 extra (unopened) Winged Cyborg guy.

(in case anyone needs a trade at some point...)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I think the minifigures finally broke me, and I am going to no longer try to be a completionist. I'll just get the 2-4 best ones I like most each time.

I missed all of S14 already, bah.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

BTW in Star Wars news, from Brickset I learned that a white/blue TFA X-Wing will be coming out this year, with a few new features to distinguish it from the black/orange one that's already out.

Yeah, apparently they were at some toy fair thing. Sounds like there's a lot of interesting stuff coming out soon, not just Star Wars.

Including more Nexo Knights. That's quickly catapulted up to being my second favourite original lego theme. Mixels being the top of course, can't get enough of those goofy chaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Maybe I'm a boring person, but despite my interest in LEGO having recently been reignited I'm not very interested in the original themes and find the more mundane stuff like City and Creator to be more my tastes. Also Star Wars of course.

OTOH the Temple of Airjitzu looks awesome; maybe I can find a way to get it without minifigs for a discount, since while I don't care for the Ninjago theme I think the buildings are cool.