Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I love lightning weapons/powers in games but I just can't enjoy the Arc stuff in Helldivers. They feel kinda anemic. What I want is a railcannon skin that turns it into a big loving lightning bolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

johnny park posted:

I love lightning weapons/powers in games but I just can't enjoy the Arc stuff in Helldivers. They feel kinda anemic. What I want is a railcannon skin that turns it into a big loving lightning bolt

I've been running the arc thrower for the past week and I've gotta say I'm completely converted.
I was topping kills on bug 7s with my buddy by a WIDE margin simply because I could circle around a crowd and melt through a line of them routinely. It won't kill a charger outrtight but you can work it down after a railcannon strike.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

arc thrower owns on bugs, you can kill a charger with seven taps to the head. easily doable if the area isn’t swarming

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

in the first post quoted you were complaining that a PTS being released (which there has been no announcement or even rumors of afaik) was bad because people paid for the game. therefore... ?

in the second post quoted you spoke about how you spent money you didn't have to on this game while spouting in-game fascist catchphrases in all caps

this is ironic and therefore amusing because of the contrast of these incompatible statements

Eh, I guess I should have communicated it better, but yeah it's unfortunate IMO that they are unable to do the testing in-house for a full priced game as successful as HD2, yes. There have been discussions on their official discord about the possibility of a PTR and Evil-Bosse has chimed in on it just days ago, which is where the rumors come from. There's no outright definitive statement on it as of yet. My post was simply intended to spur discussion on the topic.

As for the second post that was quoted; it was self-deprecating humor and not related at all, even ironically.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

hey mom its 420 posted:

arc thrower owns on bugs, you can kill a charger with seven taps to the head. easily doable if the area isn’t swarming

I've tried to love it as much as my Blitzer but it seems so inconsistent by comparison. Like I'm only getting like 1/4 shots to actually connect with my target. There are a LOT of blocked shots. I assume it's the same terrain/clutter interference that bricked the cluster rocket launcher, and will probably make vehicles borked in similar ways (though I am looking forward to my APC being launched into space by a supply box). Granted I haven't tried it on bugs in a little while, so I will reserve total judgement until then. But is there a trick getting shots to connect a little more consistently?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

I've tried to love it as much as my Blitzer but it seems so inconsistent by comparison. Like I'm only getting like 1/4 shots to actually connect with my target. There are a LOT of blocked shots. I assume it's the same terrain/clutter interference that bricked the cluster rocket launcher, and will probably make vehicles borked in similar ways (though I am looking forward to my APC being launched into space by a supply box). Granted I haven't tried it on bugs in a little while, so I will reserve total judgement until then. But is there a trick getting shots to connect a little more consistently?

Aim a little above your intended target, and stay as mobile as possible since dead bodies count as valid arc targets and can cause your shots to fizzle. Kite away or move laterally to keep your field of fire clear.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GlyphGryph posted:

This game really needs a gun that is absurdly powerful but ragdolls you and maybe breaks your limbs every time you fire it.

Unlimited ammo, too, the stimpack requiremwnt for continous fire would be enough.

Point blank shoot an eruptor at the chest of a bot and have fun

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hd2 is not a full priced game and that’s why it’s amazing

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

It helps some to aim a bit above the target. The main things that block it are dead bugs and terrain features like plants or fences. Learn to fight around those things and the arc will cut down bug breeches entirely by itself. It can’t kill bile titans, and bile spewers are a bit of a problem because their big bodies block shots. You’ll want a shield gen pack.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Complete derail, but AC6 is just an absolute masterpiece. That fight is incredible. First game in a very long time I flat out could not put down until 100%, and I was sad when I had nothing left to do.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Apple Craft posted:

Eh, I guess I should have communicated it better, but yeah it's unfortunate IMO that they are unable to do the testing in-house for a full priced game as successful as HD2, yes. There have been discussions on their official discord about the possibility of a PTR and Evil-Bosse has chimed in on it just days ago, which is where the rumors come from. There's no outright definitive statement on it as of yet. My post was simply intended to spur discussion on the topic.

As for the second post that was quoted; it was self-deprecating humor and not related at all, even ironically.

you are complaining that the value of the game is diminished because of an optional, voluntary test environment that does not affect the stable branch. that is inherently ridiculous, but coupled with the post in which you crowed about how much money you tossed at the devs for no reason, it's extremely funny. i'm sorry you can't see that, it's really very amusing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If I had more money to give I’d give arrowhead it for more goofy poo poo. Idc.

I only paid for 1 warbond and it was to get the sickle. I earned the detonation one myself and will probably pick up the steeled vets one when I get a thousand more credits.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Apple Craft posted:

a full priced game

it's $40

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Helldivers 2 is a great game. I appreciate the devs' efforts at Arrowhead and will continue supporting them with purchases.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Dren posted:

Since the arc thrower nerf it is still possible to fire subsequent shots a bit faster than full charge. It’s more charge time than it used to be but less than a full charge, and it can still take care of hulks. Hit the ADS button and watch the crosshairs come together for the arc, you can figure out exactly how close to “full” you need to get. The timing window on stunlocking a Hulk is tight but it can be done.

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot - glad to hear I was just missing something. The ability to bully hulks is a make-or-break trait for the arc against bots, owns that it’s still a thing.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Accounting for inflation, 40$ is what an expansion pack for something would have cost ~20 years ago.

A "full price (AAA) game" nowadays is pushing 80$ plus extra bullshit like ongoing paid battlepass tracks, cosmetic MTX, etc, which is ridiculous and disgusting, and one of the reasons I haven't been a console gamer since the XBONE era.

HD2 is both a good game and cheaper than AAA titles, which is why I upped to the founder pack and spent a bit on SC.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I need a visual aid to understand how much $40 is

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

candide posted:

I want a stim pistol so I can make my fellow helldivers feel good from a distance

I want a tranq pistol so if my fellow Helldivers are in trouble I can make them play dead.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Black Noise posted:

Imagine 61 bananas in a pile.

Also, I am eating banana bread right now with some coffee. It's amazing :colbert:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Black Noise posted:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Black Noise posted:

Imagine you have $20. It's two of those.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Black Noise posted:

Imagine four :10bux: on the edge of a cliff...

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you are complaining that the value of the game is diminished because of an optional, voluntary test environment that does not affect the stable branch. that is inherently ridiculous, but coupled with the post in which you crowed about how much money you tossed at the devs for no reason, it's extremely funny. i'm sorry you can't see that, it's really very amusing.

The game has grossed easily over $400MM so the answer to QA should not be unpaid labor by the community. And maybe they’re gonna improve internal QA too or compensate players in some way but they suck at optics, that would track.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I just played a blitz mission to knock out bot fabricators and the gunship fabricator wiped us out completely. How close does a hellbomb need to be to the fabricator to destroy it? I had one no more than 20 feet away and it didn't do jack poo poo when it went off except kill me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

I just played a blitz mission to knock out bot fabricators and the gunship fabricator wiped us out completely. How close does a hellbomb need to be to the fabricator to destroy it? I had one no more than 20 feet away and it didn't do jack poo poo when it went off except kill me.

Was there a wall between the bomb and the fab? Hellbombs don't do walls good.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

Was there a wall between the bomb and the fab? Hellbombs don't do walls good.

Or even just a small bump in the ground. :argh:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dren posted:

The game has grossed easily over $400MM so the answer to QA should not be unpaid labor by the community. And maybe they’re gonna improve internal QA too or compensate players in some way but they suck at optics, that would track.

public test environments exists for multiplayer games because it's very hard to simulate actual real-world server load edge case scenarios without real live connections. it does not replace internal QA, it serves a different purpose. it's entirely voluntary and most players don't know they're there and don't ever touch them. only those who are curious about the beta build and want to play around with it will seek them out. it doesn't detract from the value of the game in any way whatsoever. arguably it adds to it.

i don't know how you've spun up the idea that having a PTR means they're literally replacing their internal QA, but there's no evidence for it and it doesn't make any sense. stop being angry at strawmen.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah this is the first time I've heard someone railing against PTRs, they've been a thing for decades at this point.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

public test environments exists for multiplayer games because it's very hard to simulate actual real-world server load edge case scenarios without real live connections. it does not replace internal QA, it serves a different purpose. it's entirely voluntary and most players don't know they're there and don't ever touch them. only those who are curious about the beta build and want to play around with it will seek them out. it doesn't detract from the value of the game in any way whatsoever. arguably it adds to it.

i don't know how you've spun up the idea that having a PTR means they're literally replacing their internal QA, but there's no evidence for it and it doesn't make any sense. stop being angry at strawmen.

ok

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im told they had their internal QA department killed...........

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Im told they had their internal QA department killed...........

Arrowhead, a subsidiary of Boeing

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Lobok posted:

I want a tranq pistol so if my fellow Helldivers are in trouble I can make them play dead.

I'd use this on the pubbies that throw SOS beacons then steal my support weapon when I show up. The hunt them down and disconnect method sends a message but isn't very satisfying.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Black Noise posted:

I'd use this on the pubbies that throw SOS beacons then steal my support weapon when I show up. The hunt them down and disconnect method sends a message but isn't very satisfying.

That's when you use the disconnect the host exploit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Primary weapons are kind of a bummer on this patch. I used to run around with an eruptor, EATS, and a laser dog on bugs, but now the TTK on mediums is too high and I don't know what to take instead. I need a primary that can do acceptable damage to mediums if I'm going to keep bringing EATS.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Arglebargle III posted:

Primary weapons are kind of a bummer on this patch. I used to run around with an eruptor, EATS, and a laser dog on bugs, but now the TTK on mediums is too high and I don't know what to take instead. I need a primary that can do acceptable damage to mediums if I'm going to keep bringing EATS.

Slugger, Dominator, Plasma Punisher, DCS?

Honestly the Eruptor still works even with the nerf. Nice to have that bug hole closing ability.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 12, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I keep getting a reload animation bug with the slugger where it's rapidly reloading even when i try to fire, it fires but doesnt hit anything, but still uses ammo. Only fix seems to be swapping weapons. Very annoying.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Slugger, Dominator, Plasma Punisher, DCS?

Honestly the Eruptor still works even with the nerf. Nice to have that bug hole closing ability.

Scorcher is also viable against bots (because they're less likely to get close enough that self-damage is a serious danger). The explosive effect makes up for the light AP.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Arglebargle III posted:

Sickle works decently, notable problems are hive guard and bile spewers. Otherwise each sickle reload is good for 2 brood commander heads, 2-3 stalkers (3 good aim), 2 nursing spewers, 1 bile spewer (legs), 2 hive guardian if you can flank or shoot under the armour. You probably want a better solution for bile spewers, could be senator or impact nades, and you can just run away from hive guardians or flank them. Or you can just accept bile spewers are an issue and use eagles on them.

I personally use Sickle, Nade pistol, Impact nades, and EATs on helldive which works good enough.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Risky Bisquick posted:

each sickle reload is good for 2-3 stalkers

doubting this hard but happy to be proven wrong. are you aiming for legs or something? head and torso need more than a clip per and I'm using stun nades to freeze them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The eruptor for some reason still does ok damage to bile Titan weak spots, brood commanders, and the medium size spiky bugs, but it takes a whole mag to bring down spewers. It was the only primary that could pop spewers in one or two shots before, and now I'm kinda lost. Do I just have to bring impact grenades or just expect to run away or die when I see three or more spewers?