Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Ned posted:

Do it! Fukuoka is not too expensive and we have an extra room.

Seriously? Hmm, if I can't get cheap HK tickets this week and these ferry prices are correct then I would be very tempted. I would be coming sometime between Aug. 4 and 19 if I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

GTGastby posted:

And yeah, ignore everything Kapalama says. He is literally the only person on SA that I bothered to put on my ignore list. He's a crazy person.

Did you give him that custom title because it's awesome.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kant, I'm taking that ferry to Fukuoka this weekend. It's 99k for a round trip, insanely cheap. The KTX train to Busan is something like 57,000 one-way, though, so be prepared to spend at least 200,000 won to go round-trip. You can get the train cheaper if you take a slower one, however.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madd0g11 posted:

Did you give him that custom title because it's awesome.

Yeah, I'd throw a couple bucks toward whoever did that.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Cameron posted:

Kant, I'm taking that ferry to Fukuoka this weekend. It's 99k for a round trip, insanely cheap. The KTX train to Busan is something like 57,000 one-way, though, so be prepared to spend at least 200,000 won to go round-trip. You can get the train cheaper if you take a slower one, however.

Can you find the link for that before you leave? Or kakao me.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DontAskKant posted:

Can you find the link for that before you leave? Or kakao me.

http://www.joyroad.co.kr/

Might wanna have a Korean person help you out with that one.

Do people in Japan use Kakaotalk? I know it's a Korean program but the thing is drat useful, cheaper than texting and clean. I've tried to get my stateside friends to use it as well.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cameron posted:

http://www.joyroad.co.kr/

Might wanna have a Korean person help you out with that one.

Do people in Japan use Kakaotalk? I know it's a Korean program but the thing is drat useful, cheaper than texting and clean. I've tried to get my stateside friends to use it as well.

I don't know about Kakaotalk, but lots of people use Line, which is also Korean I think. I use it to chat with people back home, too. The only drawback is that now my mom can text me at 3 AM to talk about Ichiro, that was an interesting conversation.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Cameron posted:

After being on the Korea goon group chat I wanted to suggest the Tokyo goons do a kakao group chat. Then I forgot and now you reminded me.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Madd0g11 posted:

After being on the Korea goon group chat I wanted to suggest the Tokyo goons do a kakao group chat. Then I forgot and now you reminded me.

More people have Line, I bet. Also You'd have to promise not to drunkenly spam everyone.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

More people have Line, I bet. Also You'd have to promise not to drunkenly spam everyone.

I don't understand, that's the best part of group chat. Turn notifications off of course.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

You can even turn off notifications for specific channels. One potential headache is that there seems to be no way to add new members to a conversation as it's going on. So everyone who wants to join would need to do so from the get-go.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

zmcnulty posted:

You can even turn off notifications for specific channels. One potential headache is that there seems to be no way to add new members to a conversation as it's going on. So everyone who wants to join would need to do so from the get-go.

In line? People can hop on and off in Kakao.

Edit looks like you can add people in Line to existing chats.

Madd0g11 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 28, 2012

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

DontAskKant posted:

I don't understand, that's the best part of group chat. Turn notifications off of course.

In Japan we're classy cunts who don't drink more than socially

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

Us either, we are just always social.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

LimburgLimbo posted:

Salarymen: noted purveyors of temperance.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I posted this like a page back, but I'm looking for a place to buy a noh or kabuki mask in tokyo.

I've heard that the ones in Asakusa aren't really authentic

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I posted this like a page back, but I'm looking for a place to buy a noh or kabuki mask in tokyo.

I've heard that the ones in Asakusa aren't really authentic

Look here: http://www.nohmask21.com/kakaku.html

Keep in mind that even the cheap painted ones are over 3 man.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ned, you fell asleep so we went home! The Japanese didn't win any gold medals in Judo, if you're wondering.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Cameron posted:

Ned, you fell asleep so we went home! The Japanese didn't win any gold medals in Judo, if you're wondering.

Fukumi had no business being in the olympics, it should have gone to Asami Haruna who definitely would have taken gold. It was just an extremely unlucky situation at the qualifications in May, and even then Fukimi just barely qualified. What a joke.

The rest of the judo team should fare better, I would hope.

Ghostwalker
Jul 8, 2012
Hey I'm back! My apologies for not responding sooner, I fell of the edge of the world and went without 'net access for a weekend.

LimburgLimbo posted:

I don't see any reason you couldn't take them on the train if they're in kennels, for all that it would be a hassle. Did you read a rule to that effect somewhere?

Yes, I was specifically warned that only service animals may be taken on the trains.
Though that was from a private write-up of Military Arrival briefs. Sofar I had not seen anything to offer so much as the suggestion they may have been full of the brown sticky stuff.

kapalama posted:

lots of good stuff

WOW! Thank You for this!
Yes the wee beasties are currently working through the Pet Immigration stuff.
I anticipate a pain and quarantine-less arrival.
One of them was chipped with a non-ISO compliant chip so we will be bringing our own chip reader along.

The shipping of luggage is an amazing thought, so far I had caught no hints of this. Not having to lug all that stuff around would be great.
And as far as our sponsor paying out of pocket, well he might but more likely he'd be using a Duty Vehicle and the Navy generally provides things like toll stickers/tags and gas.

I can't wait till we have orders in hand and an assigned Sponsor to coordinate with over there.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Cameron, that site is difficult. It looks like the ferry is part of a package that starts 8/20 and is only for 3 days 2 nights. Can you give me a little more direction on it?

Ned, HK and Taiwan tickets are looking out of my price range. If you are still offering up a room that would be amazing.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kant, what's your e-mail? Let's take the conversation there. Mine is somewhere in the last few pages of this thread, search for "gmail" on the page.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
How is camping in Japan? Also, could I potentially couchsurf for most of a 2-3 week trip?

Great thread, thanks guys.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Spatule posted:

I'll be spending 5.5 days / 5 nights in Japan begin January with the wife.
I plan on being around 2, maybe 3 days in Tokyo. Is the skytree building nice or should I just go visit another high building ?
Given the time of the year, are there specific things I should absolutely do / avoid ? Which other place besided Tokyo should we visit ?
Note: I've been there before for business, but always around summer time.

Nobody ?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Which 5 days in January? This makes a big difference. If it's the first week or so you're coming right when the entire country is on vacation, New Years is basically Japan's equivalent of Christmas holidays. So expect delays/crowds.

Kyoto is pushing the envelope with just 5 nights, would be a tight schedule. Consider Kamakura and Nikko as alternatives.

Sky Tree is obviously tallest and nice but having been to both now, I still recommend Roppongi Hills. The roof will be cold and windy as hell in January but that's part of the fun.

crooked llama
Mar 7, 2012

this one prefers English Breakfast tea
Full-time 3rd year university student here in Japan(Kansai region, Shiga to be exact) and will soon be facing 就活(job-hunting) in December.

Any goons going through/been through the job-hunting process in Japan? I need all the advice I can get 'coz I have zero clue on what I'll be facing. I'm in Computer Science btw, if it helps.

Also, feel free to put me up as a Shiga goon as I'll be here for the long run ;)

llbdtiberio
Mar 27, 2010
I hate having to ask here but I'm planning a 7 day trip to Tokyo around April time next year (cherryblossoms woo!) and I'm quite frankly confused when looking for hotels. I'm not planning on going high end as all I need is a bed and a bathroom with the place being near a JR line station for easy access but I seem spoiled for choice. For example there is a IBIS hotel in Shinjuku which is just under my budget of £500/61,000yen but then I see other cheap places in areas like Asakusa. So my question is this, is there a particular ward or area that is best for easy transport?

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

llbdtiberio posted:

I hate having to ask here but I'm planning a 7 day trip to Tokyo around April time next year (cherryblossoms woo!) and I'm quite frankly confused when looking for hotels. I'm not planning on going high end as all I need is a bed and a bathroom with the place being near a JR line station for easy access but I seem spoiled for choice. For example there is a IBIS hotel in Shinjuku which is just under my budget of £500/61,000yen but then I see other cheap places in areas like Asakusa. So my question is this, is there a particular ward or area that is best for easy transport?

Asakusa is fine as the G and A metro lines run there. I stayed there when I visited Tokyo and had no trouble getting around. Just make sure you are within walking distance to one of the metro stops in the area.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

zmcnulty posted:

Which 5 days in January? This makes a big difference. If it's the first week or so you're coming right when the entire country is on vacation, New Years is basically Japan's equivalent of Christmas holidays. So expect delays/crowds.

I'll arrive on the 3rd early in the morning, and leave the 8 afternoon.

quote:

Kyoto is pushing the envelope with just 5 nights, would be a tight schedule. Consider Kamakura and Nikko as alternatives.
Sky Tree is obviously tallest and nice but having been to both now, I still recommend Roppongi Hills. The roof will be cold and windy as hell in January but that's part of the fun.

Thanks !

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Whelp, you can put me down as a Yokohama goon. :toot:

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

So I know this is probably a stupid question, but have they finished the construction in Shinjuku station? Going to have to go through there a few times next week with a pram (and son), and last time it was a total nightmare and I ended up just picking it up and carrying it up various stairs, as station staff and security people looked on apologetically.

Any better or should I just pack the lighter pram :)

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Wibbleman posted:

So I know this is probably a stupid question, but have they finished the construction in Shinjuku station? Going to have to go through there a few times next week with a pram (and son), and last time it was a total nightmare and I ended up just picking it up and carrying it up various stairs, as station staff and security people looked on apologetically.

Any better or should I just pack the lighter pram :)

That loving station has been under construction for ever. I'll probably leave, Japan, come back in 10 years and it still wont be done. They loving built Sky Tree in less time than the stupid bus station side, even Tokyo Station is almost complete. It's like they hired a bunch of retards with hammers to put the drat thing up.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Madd0g11 posted:

That loving station has been under construction for ever. I'll probably leave, Japan, come back in 10 years and it still wont be done. They loving built Sky Tree in less time than the stupid bus station side, even Tokyo Station is almost complete. It's like they hired a bunch of retards with hammers to put the drat thing up.

I guess that's why it was a stupid question :) Trying to transfer trains and needing the lifts is a exercise in futility, some of them have lifts up to the south exit thingy, and others only go down to the main prominade thingy. And even then its all hosed up when trying to navigate it.

llbdtiberio
Mar 27, 2010

teddust posted:

Asakusa is fine as the G and A metro lines run there. I stayed there when I visited Tokyo and had no trouble getting around. Just make sure you are within walking distance to one of the metro stops in the area.

Thanks a lot for the info teddust, I've already found a few places that are quite close to either metro. I'm still trying to decide if I want to visit Kyoto while I'm there as the OP post lists it as a good idea if I'm staying for 7 days but as always these things depend on whether or not I have enough in my budget.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
So I retardedly left my bag on the train when I got off at Yokohama station on friday. I was on Keikyu ltd. express for Oshiage. Had my nice running shoes, headphones, gym clothes, and most importantly keys to my apartment. When I signed my lease agent warned me not to lose my keys as I will have to pay for an entire new lock (20,000 yen).

I talked to the station staff immediately afterwards but they gave me a piece of paper with phone number and told me to call it. Is there any hope of getting my back back? Doesn't help that I don't speak a lick of Japanese.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

So I retardedly left my bag on the train when I got off at Yokohama station on friday. I was on Keikyu ltd. express for Oshiage. Had my nice running shoes, headphones, gym clothes, and most importantly keys to my apartment. When I signed my lease agent warned me not to lose my keys as I will have to pay for an entire new lock (20,000 yen).

I talked to the station staff immediately afterwards but they gave me a piece of paper with phone number and told me to call it. Is there any hope of getting my back back? Doesn't help that I don't speak a lick of Japanese.

There's always a chance that you'll get your stuff back in Japan. Is there anything else written on the paper? Do you have anyone that can make the call for you?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

LimburgLimbo posted:

There's always a chance that you'll get your stuff back in Japan. Is there anything else written on the paper? Do you have anyone that can make the call for you?

I got the train number, where it was headed, and what time it stopped at Yokohama. Also sent you a pm.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I wonder if the recent discovery that all pin and tumbler locks can be defeated by a bump key, thus meaning there are few actual secure locks in America, makes it any easier to swallow the seemingly outrageous key fees charged in Japan.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Me and my lady are heading to Japan for 3 weeks, September - October. We're staying in Shibuya for a bit, then to Kyoto/Nara for a while, and then Ishagaki for a few days.

We're looking to stay in an onsen ryokan at some point, but not sure where to find one. Hopefully something in the Kyoto/Nara/Osaka area?

We're also trying to figure out if getting a JR rail pass for that week would be worth it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
How long does it take to get the white postcard back re: visa? It's been 7 days... :(

• Locked thread