Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I've not played in years (since the weird acetate-sheet vehicle hits - 2e?), and came across this thread... I always knew GW was over-priced-and-rising, but I hadn't realised... Wow.

The main weird thing to me is that, if the company is being run (into the ground) by Suits, surely you'd expect them to be on top of buzzwords like 'internet' and 'reputation'? I can understand short-term planning, and raising the prices as high as you can, but the way GW seems to shy away from the internet reeks of grognard.

The reason I found the death-thread was 'friend says he spends fridays chilling in the local GW painting'. Cool, I think, not been into that in years, lets see what SA says is up with it: DOOM, shanking customers for spare change, etc.

:raise: Think I might give that a miss. How can you fail to sell WAR+METAL+ANGST to teens?!

I heard they don't play nirvana over the sound system either.

Feb 9th, '15

e: GW Death Pool: Failing to sell angst to middle-class teens.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

petrol blue posted:

:raise: Think I might give that a miss. How can you fail to sell WAR+METAL+ANGST to teens?!

Make the hobby so expensive they can't buy into it?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Sure, but why would anyone do that? :downsgun:

e:

vs.

:colbert:

e: Spoilersfor the new noise marines.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 13, 2014

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

petrol blue posted:

Sure, but why would anyone do that? :downsgun:

The strategy is to make people think you have a monopoly on table top war games when you actually don't.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm not a wargamer, but gently caress it this should be good.

Birthday Crew represent!
April 1st, 2015

Burn baby, burn.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

petrol blue posted:

I've not played in years (since the weird acetate-sheet vehicle hits - 2e?)

are you talking about the 1992 Vehicle Manual that used silhouettes of the various vehicles and bikes and you use the transparency (which had a crosshairs on it), rolled some dice to move it around and it told you where you hit? All the locations then had an armor value and I think their own damage chart. That was still technically Rogue Trader (1st edition) but it did come out right before 2nd edition, I think I used it exactly one time.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

petrol blue posted:

Japan - Even our death metal is hyper-adorable.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Lakedaimon posted:

are you talking about the 1992 Vehicle Manual that used silhouettes of the various vehicles and bikes and you use the transparency (which had a crosshairs on it), rolled some dice to move it around and it told you where you hit? All the locations then had an armor value and I think their own damage chart. That was still technically Rogue Trader (1st edition) but it did come out right before 2nd edition, I think I used it exactly one time.

That's the one! Even clouded by nostalgia, that was a terrible idea.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

petrol blue posted:

They would make better noise marines (Noise Sisters of Slaneesh?) than the current ones. Why did they lose the guitars when their defining feature is "kills enemies with noise"?

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Randalor posted:

They would make better noise marines (Noise Sisters of Slaneesh?) than the current ones. Why did they lose the guitars when their defining feature is "kills enemies with noise"?

Not grim dark enough.

Remember when the original 40k miniatures were based off genres of music? That's far too silly.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Randalor posted:

WUBWUB

Germ
May 7, 2013

petrol blue posted:

Only Babymetal could save GW. Only Babymetal.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/04/40k-6th-edition-is-being-pulled.html?m=1

I bid all new entrants and betters greetings!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

To add for anyone who reads this thread but not the main 40K one, it has been corroborated for us by poster serious gaylord that 7E is coming, so it's not just inference/rumorsite bullshit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

JerryLee posted:

To add for anyone who reads this thread but not the main 40K one, it has been corroborated for us by poster serious gaylord that 7E is coming, so it's not just inference/rumorsite bullshit.

This edition is only two years old, AFAIK? That's an accelerated turn-around, to say the least.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This edition is only two years old, AFAIK? That's an accelerated turn-around, to say the least.

Normal turnaround before this was ~4 years, so this is very accelerated. The Orks codex is now the oldest, at 2 3 editions behind the main (current) rulebook.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 29, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If 7th edition is due out relatively soon (May 24th?) then boy howdy do I not expect it to sell since I doubt it'd be a total overhaul and rather a touchup which I can't fathom will sell great.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Normal turnaround before this was ~4 years, so this is very accelerated. The Orks codex is now the oldest, at 3 editions behind the main rulebook.

It was really nice seeing all of the old books revamped but if they're gonna start puking out $80 rulebooks every two years we might as well just pack it in now.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
It's a shame that I just caught the buying-minis bug whenever I talk to older players.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Barudak posted:

If 7th edition is due out relatively soon (May 24th?) then boy howdy do I not expect it to sell since I doubt it'd be a total overhaul and rather a touchup which I can't fathom will sell great.

Every edition since third has been a touchup. Every Fantasy edition since sixth has been a touchup. GW doesn't radically alter the game between editions because that would upset their codex/army book model.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
September 30th, 2015

This is the day when the galaxy will burn!

*edit*

Birthday pool of course

Shrieking Muppet fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 29, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's no way it is not bought out in the next year I think, this years numbers are supposedly abysmal.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 6, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I'll be joining the birthday pool with Oct. 9th 2015. There's no way it is not bought out in the next year I think, this years numbers are supposedly abysmal.

But but but they're about to release a new book and that's an airtight strategy especially when you've already alienated your customer base into largely not buying the book one way or another.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

PeterWeller posted:

Every edition since third has been a touchup. Every Fantasy edition since sixth has been a touchup. GW doesn't radically alter the game between editions anymore because that would upset their codex/army book model.

My wife is still annoyed they made Daemon/Beastmen armies illegal in 6th; she was in the process of building a Beastmen of Slaanesh list when GW decided 'Nope, can't have that anymore.'

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Little_wh0re posted:

GW will not die in the timeframe listed has anyone else bet that yet?

Just going to quote this for posterity. :smug:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Someone spoiled the entire Wood Elf release because GW loaded all of the images onto the website 5 days before they were supposed to come out and 2 people from Warseer just guessed at the product codes.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Gonna bet May 7th, 2015. Birthday, of course.

It'll actually be shortly after Q4 2015 but gently caress if I know when that is.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Business Gorillas posted:

Someone spoiled the entire Wood Elf release because GW loaded all of the images onto the website 5 days before they were supposed to come out and 2 people from Warseer just guessed at the product codes.

Hahaha, so that's what happened.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Totally coincidental that this new edition goes on sale a month before the full year report is due, the full year report everyone is predicting to be even more dire reading than the half year report. One final cash grab to turn the numbers around, is totally what this isn't, not at all.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Totally coincidental that this new edition goes on sale a month before the full year report is due, the full year report everyone is predicting to be even more dire reading than the half year report. One final cash grab to turn the numbers around, is totally what this isn't, not at all.

I went on Dakka, Warseer, and a couple other places, just to see what people outside of SA might think about this news. It was pretty much the exact mix of people going "told ya so", "GW is fine, everything is fine" handwaving, and Bitcoin-esque "this could actually be good for GW in general/40k in particular because :words:" that I was expecting. :laugh:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I went on Dakka, Warseer, and a couple other places, just to see what people outside of SA might think about this news. It was pretty much the exact mix of people going "told ya so", "GW is fine, everything is fine" handwaving, and Bitcoin-esque "this could actually be good for GW in general/40k in particular because :words:" that I was expecting. :laugh:

I'm honestly surprised by that. I would have expected the internet at large to be in the grasp of an even more histrionic meltdown than us. Not that it isn't relatively more justified when dealing with GW.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

JerryLee posted:

I'm honestly surprised by that. I would have expected the internet at large to be in the grasp of an even more histrionic meltdown than us. Not that it isn't relatively more justified when dealing with GW.

The news just came out on the 28th, didn't it? Maybe it hasn't hit some people yet. The big thing in the Dakka thread (IIRC) was a couple of guys arguing about how GW will/won't fudge the books by releasing 7th edition prior to their next financial report.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Wow, genuinely shocked to hear the 7th ed 40k rumour... so er.. that's a bit soon isn't it? 6th ed was the first release of a new edition of 40k that I didn't bother to buy and I've not really looked back since. So many other companies out there and so many other games that better suit my gaming budget and my lack of time to paint (Malifaux is high on the list.. small skirmish sized games with interesting 'one off' minis to paint? Yes please)

So we'll see whereabouts this goes..

pucapuca
Sep 24, 2002

Lucca: "All right! Now what's your name?"
Robot: "Name? Ah, my serial number. It is R-66Y."
July 31 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

JerryLee posted:

That's what you get when you have an entire customer base entrenched in Stockholm Syndrome and denialism.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What's all this about another earnings report? Is GW bound for some more bad news and trouble in a couple months?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
On the contrary, they should be in solid earnings territory after the last few months releases and a whole new edition for 40k a month before fiscal year's end.

(they're doing this by upping the release schedule and dropping a new edition a month before fiscal years end.)

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

koreban posted:

On the contrary, they should be in solid earnings territory after the last few months releases and a whole new edition for 40k a month before fiscal year's end.

(they're doing this by upping the release schedule and dropping a new edition a month before fiscal years end.)

So when does this blow up in their faces and people stop buying products with abusive pricing and releases?

Next quarter? My birthday?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

stoutfish posted:

So when does this blow up in their faces and people stop buying products with abusive pricing and releases?

Next quarter? My birthday?

My understanding is that they're already experiencing diminishing returns from their business model and that's exactly why we're seeing this :derp: from corporate trying to prop the numbers up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Short term profits rule everything around me.

• Locked thread