Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue's Clues

circ dick soleil posted:

oh my god lmao

drat, you're cold circ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil

by zen death robot
i like me a curvy goon what can i say :bigtran:

Blue's Clues

circ dick soleil posted:

i like me a curvy goon what can i say :bigtran:

:wink:

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back

The X-man cometh posted:

You can get a bike shop to move those gearshift levers, or even replace them, for pretty cheap.

Just got back. Here's my set for chest and arms

Biked there
Warmed up with burpees & lunges
Dumbbell press, Dumbbell wide press
Dumbbell flies, Dumbbell inside grip press
Dumbbell curls, Dumbbell hammers
Dips
Tricep extensions using bands
Abs - situps, flutter kicks, leg raises.
Biked home.

Any suggestions?

how many sets/reps are you doing?

11 different exercises seems a bit much. It might be worth focusing on fewer exercises with more volume.

On my chest/triceps days I do 6 total, focusing on compounds, with 5 sets of 6-8 reps of: barbell bench, incline db bench, db flyes, close-grip barbell bench, lying db tricep extensions, and dips. If I still have time I will do skullcrushers or something.

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back

circ dick soleil posted:

oh my god lmao

this thread is a judgement-free safe zone. Please don't be mean.

K. Flaps

by Athanatos
Sprained my ankle during rugby practice because some douchebag football players probably played on our field on the weekend and left huge gaping holes in the lawn!! :negative:

The X-man cometh

Tipps posted:

how many sets/reps are you doing?

11 different exercises seems a bit much. It might be worth focusing on fewer exercises with more volume.

On my chest/triceps days I do 6 total, focusing on compounds, with 5 sets of 6-8 reps of: barbell bench, incline db bench, db flyes, close-grip barbell bench, lying db tricep extensions, and dips. If I still have time I will do skullcrushers or something.

3x12 for pretty much all of them. Dips I did 3x10. It takes me about an hour, which is why I fell into that routine. I feel weird only doing biceps or triceps, instead of both. My shoulders are messed up, so I can't do barbells right now. Yoga is fixing that, though.

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back

The X-man cometh posted:

3x12 for pretty much all of them. Dips I did 3x10. It takes me about an hour, which is why I fell into that routine. I feel weird only doing biceps or triceps, instead of both. My shoulders are messed up, so I can't do barbells right now. Yoga is fixing that, though.

There is bro-science floating around that says that sets of <5 build strength, 6-8 build muscle, and >9 build endurance. I ain't a scientician so I don't know how much truth there is to that, but I've always stuck to the 6-8 range. Assuming this to have some vague truth to it, what you do depends on your goals I guess.

Re: doing both biceps and triceps separately, in a typical split, the idea is that you are working one or the other with compounds from your other exercises. Compound chest exercises also work triceps (bench press and its variations, wide-grip dips, etc.). Compound back exercises also work biceps (bent-over rows, pull/chin-ups, etc.). You split your workouts so that you work complementary muscle groups together on the same day for max effectiveness, rather than spread throughout the week when you might not perform fully if you are still recovering from the strain from the compounds.

That being said, i'm sure there are 5-day splits that have a specific "arms day" for 2x the curls for gurls - once with compounds along with chest/back, and again later with isolated exercises. Sun's out, guns out bro.

The X-man cometh

Tipps posted:

Sun's out, guns out bro.

Sounds good. :byob1:

Spiderjelly

Sign of evil.
did a set of 15 chin ups today, I'm pretty stoked

Drunk Driver Dad

Spiderjelly posted:

did a set of 15 chin ups today, I'm pretty stoked

hell yeah, those are pretty much my favorite exercise these days.

just wanted to bump the thread, really. I'm going to workout in a few hours.

K. Flaps

by Athanatos
My ankle still hurts!!! :mad:

Diqnol

Quick fitness tip - do NOT go for a 3 mile run a day after leg day, you will be sore and mad about it.

Drunk Driver Dad
I want to eventually add cardio of some sort because I still get gassed pretty quickly, to the point whatever exercise I do last I fall a rep or two short than if I did it first. However I sort of want to put on a bit more weight and strength first a bit longer. I was thinking of HIIT of some sort, maybe sprinting up my stairs 2 at a time. It would be a small little compliment for my legs as well I think.

Diqnol

You should probably try jogging a decent distance and throw some short sprints in there. Hate yourself but get through it twice a week for a month and you'll be surprised how much better you are

Drunk Driver Dad

anime gently caress pillow posted:

You should probably try jogging a decent distance and throw some short sprints in there. Hate yourself but get through it twice a week for a month and you'll be surprised how much better you are

the only thing bad about that is i live off in the woods with a lot of rednecks and there are a couple of aggressive dogs not far up the road(my dad has actually been bitten), so I'd have to use a treadmill or just deal with the dogs somehow

Diqnol

Treadmill is okay if you've got good knees and don't mind that changing gradually but it's beautiful outside. Be the alpha.

bwatts

Top Twitter Tranny posted:

the only thing bad about that is i live off in the woods with a lot of rednecks and there are a couple of aggressive dogs not far up the road(my dad has actually been bitten), so I'd have to use a treadmill or just deal with the dogs somehow

fight the dogs that's gotta work some muscles

Harime Nui

The New Insincerity
Have you tried meeting the dogs?

Drunk Driver Dad
honestly i figure the dogs aren't that dangerous or anything, just generally a pita

Harime Nui

The New Insincerity
Sorry I missed that they'd already bitten your dad. That sounds awful, maybe you should consider taking a drive to a park or even urban area to jog? (I've just never been a fan of treadmills tbh).

Drunk Driver Dad
yeah. there's a nice park at the lake a few miles away with bike trails and a good swimming area. definitely going to hit that place up soon since its getting swimming weather

GEExCEE

just do burpees until you throw up

GEExCEE

also I do 3x5 so I know basically nothing about high volume stuff but it seems to me like if you're doing high-volume workouts thats a good amount of cardio/conditioning already and it would be totally normal do be kind of gassed at the end and not be able to achieve quite the same amount of volume as you would earlier in the workout? can tipps confirm/denY?

PIGEOTO

8-12 reps isnt cardio, hth

Drunk Driver Dad

GEExCEE posted:

also I do 3x5 so I know basically nothing about high volume stuff but it seems to me like if you're doing high-volume workouts thats a good amount of cardio/conditioning already and it would be totally normal do be kind of gassed at the end and not be able to achieve quite the same amount of volume as you would earlier in the workout? can tipps confirm/denY?

i think the fact i wait very shortly between sets helps to keep my heart rate up a bit the whole time, so i imagine i get a little from that but probably not the boost actual cardio would give

Diqnol

GEExCEE posted:

Do more reps, bitch. Also do real cardio or you don't lift and will die young.

Top Twitter Tranny posted:

i think the fact i wait very shortly between sets helps to keep my heart rate up a bit the whole time, so i imagine i get a little from that but probably not the boost actual cardio would give

Exerting and cardio are very different things. You should wait like a minute between sets tho!!

GEExCEE

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Do more reps, bitch. Also do real cardio or you don't lift and will die young.

Exerting and cardio are very different things. You should wait like a minute between sets tho!!

I walk a bunch i thought that was fine?? liss4life

GEExCEE

PIGEOTO posted:

8-12 reps isnt cardio, hth

noted

Diqnol

Only if you're really fat.

satsui no thankyou
broscience itt

satsui no thankyou
my limbs are starting to regain functionality after 4 hours of high intensity cardio yesterday. i hate and love life. work out you fags

GEExCEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ai6DzKqtIo actual video of me, irl fatty

GEExCEE

cardio is anything where i'm exerting for more than 5 seconds

PIGEOTO

every exercise science is broscience

literally this big

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
so I've figured out that, even though I drink a fair bit of water as it is, I'm way more inclined to drink water if it's from a bottle or container, so I got myself a 900mL bottle and will soon be hydrated as all hell.

also gonna try a work out of warming up by running with my dog, running 1 mile five times, running .1 miles ten times, and then some anaerobic exercises. trip report soon.

Peanut and the Gang

by exmarx

Illegal Carrot posted:

so I've figured out that, even though I drink a fair bit of water as it is, I'm way more inclined to drink water if it's from a bottle or container, so I got myself a 900mL bottle and will soon be hydrated as all hell.

I bought a bunch of SmartWater bottles. They're more than a liter each, and they have little fishes and ducks on the inside of the bottle :3:. You can also buy a 2 liter of soda, dump out the soda, and fill it with water. I've done that too.

The X-man cometh
Just set a new PR for a 5k, 28:24. It was a color run for a local high school, so the distance wasn't exact, but Runkeeper clocked me at a 9:20 pace, which is also a PR.

For cardio, has anyone tried Sabata(Tabata?) sets? It's 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, for 5 minutes straight, 2 minutes rest, and then the same thing with a complementary exercise.

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back
I am sitting here eating a loaf of cheese bread I made and getting fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birds

yeah i lift...hell, just got back from lifting

• Locked thread