Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Vegetable posted:

I guess it's kind of a plot twist. They set you up for something ominous but it turns out to be mostly ridiculous. I wish they had littered the way with hints of his superhumanness because that'd make the reveal more cool.

I was going to watch through the whole movie again before commenting (watching it for the second time in preparation for showing it to someone else) but:

First shot of the film: David running on a dirt road in the country. Title card appears over ominous musical sting.
2 minutes later: Mom is getting David some water.
"How did you get here?"
"I ran. Needed the exercise...from the bus station, I mean...in town."
"You ran that whole way??"
"Yes ma'am."
"Here you go."
"Thank you ma'am. *drinks entire glass of water in 5 seconds*"
:cmon:

e: (Rhyno beat me to this one)
David settles into his room the first night and zones out into nothingness, staring straight ahead.
The next night: Dad and David drinking together; they both have a beer in their hand, there is an empty bottle on the table in front of David, and two on the table between Dad and David.
Dad: "Let's have a couple more of these to celebrate, and then I gotta get off to bed. God, you can put your liquor away." At this exact moment, the camera pans over to show two more bottles on the table by David, and it becomes obvious that not only is David ahead of Dad (the ones on the table between them may be Dad's, or even could be David's as well), he is basically unfazed.
David: "I guess so. *chuckles to himself*"
Dad: "[I'm] tired, are you tired?"
David: "Nah, I don't need much sleep." He looks at his watch and looks up and away menacingly, probably planning another long night of creepy staring.

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He also shows that he can drink a half dozen beers, claims it doesn't affect him, that he barely needs sleep and then carries two full kegs like they weigh nothing. Dude is obviously not normal.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

VROOM VROOM posted:

David: "Nah, I don't need much sleep." He looks at his watch and looks up and away menacingly, probably planning another long night of creepy staring.

I think this is actually when he kills the dad's boss/girlfriend off screen

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It says something about how we view movies that a third act that involves a couple dozen brutal murders is described as 'ridiculous'

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

weekly font posted:

I think this is actually when he kills the dad's boss/girlfriend off screen

I had a feeling I was missing something, been a while since the first time I saw it.
In any case, I'll stop at the point I'm at: cinnamon schnapps & tabasco.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Rhyno posted:

He also shows that he can drink a half dozen beers, claims it doesn't affect him, that he barely needs sleep and then carries two full kegs like they weigh nothing. Dude is obviously not normal.

The dude is Captain America

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

millenial cowardice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Captain America probably only drinks lite beer.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Ironic because the only millenials in the movie shoot and stab a supersoldier to possible death. :v:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This was one of my most anticipated movie of last year, but I couldn't find a single theater that played it. Or maybe I just missed it. Redbox only had it on DVD, and I'm a huge snob so I had to wait.

Finally got to see it. Did not disappoint. This is the kind of movie that hits all my buttons. It's dark, it's funny, it's loving cool looking, it has a totally cool synthy score and one badass insane, but incredibly charming and fun to watch character brilliantly played by Dan Stevens. It's not a perfect movie, but it's basically my perfect movie. I smiled way too much when Vengeance started playing. I was incredibly obsessed with the Hotline Miami score for a while, so that was a nice surprise. The ending cracked me up pretty hard. Everyone knew exactly what they were doing. I can't wait to watch this again.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This movie is a fantastic recommendation to all your family members who can't shut the gently caress up about American Sniper.

"You know what's a really good movie about a vet returning home from the Middle East?"

*cues up For David mix*

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It was watching it the second time that I really noticed how early they set up things aren't right. Like the poster above says, as soon as he meets the mother it hints that there's *something* about David. The first two thirds just keep going down the inevitable road. It makes a point of showing that the father is drunk and the drinks haven't touched David at all.

Some people can argue the final third comes out of nowhere, but it doesn't really. And David doesn't have to conceal his actions any more because he's out in the open. His mission has been exposed and so he goes into clean up mode.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

It was watching it the second time that I really noticed how early they set up things aren't right. Like the poster above says, as soon as he meets the mother it hints that there's *something* about David. The first two thirds just keep going down the inevitable road. It makes a point of showing that the father is drunk and the drinks haven't touched David at all.

Some people can argue the final third comes out of nowhere, but it doesn't really. And David doesn't have to conceal his actions any more because he's out in the open. His mission has been exposed and so he goes into clean up mode.

Yeah I definitely agree. It's extremely obvious if you're looking for it on a second watch but it came across in my first as well. I don't know if that's a result of going in knowing the basic premise of the movie on my first watch or if those details are just there and a lot of people simply missed them, but at no point did I feel like David was this regular dude and they flip a switch on him in the second act somewhere. His cadence, his dead stare, etc screamed Patrick Bateman or Luc Deveraux at least to me.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I watched it for the first time with a group of friends and we all knew something was off and then he came in carrying two kegs like they were bags of rice. I think above all else that makes it th e most obvious. Kegs are loving heavy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Doesn't a horror movie "the killer's behind you" type of sound effect literally play when David first shows up? I thought the setup was pretty obvious so the question was more who, how and when he's going to murder, not if.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

This was a pretty cool Bourne spinoff.

Didn't dawn on me that the main character was played by the foppish lawyer/cousin/husband/corpse from Downton Abbey. :psyduck:

Rhyno posted:

Both my girlfriend and I expected him to turn out to be a Terminator in the end.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Yep. I don't think people are getting the full impact of the OP''s observation. "David" doesn't just act like Captain America; he literally is Steve Rogers with a different face, and this film is a direct sequel to Captain America 1. Remember that the film ended with Steve Rogers waking up in a hospital, trying to escape, and being recaptured by black-clad shadowy figures. What if he tried breaking out again?

The joke is then that The Guest gets you siding with supervillain organization HYDRA for a large chunk of the film.

The way to read the film is to see "David" as a tragicomic figure, because he's as much a nice guy programmed to kill than he is a killbot programmed to act nice. As a result, he ends up embodying the contradictions of the entire nation, where this average small town is revealed to be (with a quick shift in perspective) dominated by military contractors and private security forces. Their lifestyle can only be sustained through brutal violence. "David" is entirely a product of this system, which is ultimately why he's unable to die.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 5, 2015

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

There's a brooding menace to it all, then he's throwing grenades into a diner with a big goofy grin and the two kids are getting trapped in a spooky maze. The last third is meta as hell, the first two thirds hint at something original.
Can you expand on what you mean by original?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The way to read the film

Thank God you have arrived to show us the way to read this film. I look forward to 80+ pages of unmedicated exposition on the glaringly obvious connections between The Guest, The Phantom Menace, Kurosawa, and Zizek/Marxism/postmodernist thought.

yeah, I'm actually serious. At least that poo poo is more interesting than pages of "I saw The Guest, and The Guest is a pretty cool guy"

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 6, 2015

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Thank God you have arrived to show us the way to read this film. I look forward to 80+ pages of unmedicated exposition on the glaringly obvious connections between The Guest, The Phantom Menace, Kurosawa, and Zizek/Marxism/postmodernist thought.

Me too.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Zizek isn't a postmodernist, and I am not God, but you're welcome I guess.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Zizek isn't a postmodernist, and I am not God, but you're welcome I guess.

Didn't claim either of those things, its clear your skills of misinterpretation extend to reading posts.

Oh dear I'm getting sucked in how do you do this :ohdear:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Didn't claim either of those things, its clear your skills of misinterpretation extend to reading posts.

Oh dear I'm getting sucked in how do you do this :ohdear:

How about talking about the movie The Guest rather than threadshitting.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I know I am walking on eggshells posting in cineD but I wanted to share this bit of info to you guys:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3330991/adam-wingard-heads-woods/

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Get us on the inside, Jst0rm.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like its a horror movie, but so was the Guest so I think we can be safe to assume its going to be a lot more twisted than that. Can't wait for it. This guy's output in both quality and quantity is starting to remind me of Carpenter.

EDIT: Twisted as in blending other genres. Not a fan of straight horror.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm really excited to see how Wingard/Barrett can take the most bland/cliche horror movie synopsis in history and make it dope.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

weekly font posted:

I'm really excited to see how Wingard/Barrett can take the most bland/cliche horror movie synopsis in history and make it dope.

Cybernetic GHOSTS.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
There's an awesome synthie piece that plays several times throughout the movie (I specifically remember it playing before they enter the bar), but it seems like it's not on the official soundtrack :(

That's the only bad thing I can say about this movie.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

FeastForCows posted:

There's an awesome synthie piece that plays several times throughout the movie (I specifically remember it playing before they enter the bar), but it seems like it's not on the official soundtrack :(

That's the only bad thing I can say about this movie.

You're right! I have the OST and it's not on it. :(

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Is it the same one that plays when David first arrives and is having the conversation with the mother in the bedroom? If so, I think that's Steve Moore, but I don't know the name of the track.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah it's definitely one of his. I can't open this site at work but I'd bet it's up here somewhere.
http://stevemoore2600.tumblr.com/

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

There isn't an official release of Moore's score yet, but he's stated on twitter that one is in the works. Hopefully soon.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
This was pretty entertaining, although it would have been hard to sit through if I didn't know it would go crazy at the end. Although it was technically more accomplished and had better overall acting than You're Next, I thought the first half hour or so was kind of dramatically inert, JUST LIKE YOU'RE NEXT. It'd be cool if Wingard's next movie started the tension a little earlier.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Spatula City posted:

This was pretty entertaining, although it would have been hard to sit through if I didn't know it would go crazy at the end. Although it was technically more accomplished and had better overall acting than You're Next, I thought the first half hour or so was kind of dramatically inert, JUST LIKE YOU'RE NEXT. It'd be cool if Wingard's next movie started the tension a little earlier.

I don't even get this argument. How is having a total nutbar who's clearly unhinged and a ticking timebomb dropped into the middle of a suburban household not tense? Was his craziness too subtle? Should he have murdered people every five minutes or glared a little harder?

Not trying to be a jerk, I've just seen people bring this up and I thought the movie was perfectly tense before David started just openly murdering people.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I can't believe Adam Wingard also directed A Horrible Way to Die. I love both this and You're Next, but that might be the worst movie I've seen in a long long time.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

User-Friendly posted:

I can't believe Adam Wingard also directed A Horrible Way to Die. I love both this and You're Next, but that might be the worst movie I've seen in a long long time.

Maybe he learned from it.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Just got around to watching this and goddamn. I never watched Downton Abbey and didn't really have high expectations for Dan Stevens acting ability but the little emotions he pulls off with his face alone are loving phenomenal. You can just see the menace slowly growing on his face while the brother reveals he knows he's not who he says he is. And he's looking steadily more and more like he's about to murder this kid in the middle of a fully occupied highschool. And then all that menace just vanishes in a second when the brother says he won't tell anyone. or that tiny little double take he does when he sees the KPG soldier brings out the LMG.

This movie is so drat good.

ruddiger posted:

This movie is a fantastic recommendation to all your family members who can't shut the gently caress up about American Sniper.

"You know what's a really good movie about a vet returning home from the Middle East?"

*cues up For David mix*
I think this is precisely how I'm going to start recommending it to friends.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I loved this film (can you tell?).

It restores my faith in watching new movies based on goon-recommendations. It's very rare that SA steers me the wrong way with movies to see or to avoid.

It hits all the right notes, and is very in keeping with my own sense of humor.

I recommend everyone see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Clan of Xymox over the credits?! No one ever talks about Xymox! This movie rules.

• Locked thread