Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Marvin Harrison has nearly identical stats as Tim Brown with 4 less years of playing time to accrue those stats. Why are people devaluing Marvin just because he was drafted into an organization with a good quarterback? Are Jerry Rice's stats somehow devalued because he had two of the best QB's of all time passing to him? Tim Brown is a good player, he shouldn't be given brownie points for his team's incompetence in finding a good QB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
My main memory of Harrison is running really nice routes, and falling down immediately after catching the ball

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Polian was a pretty great executive I don't think there's anything wrong with him being in. Pace not getting in is really dumb but they're always way too slow with linemen.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Tim Brown got in because he's been on the ballot longer than Marvin, and they're trying to clear out the logjam

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MourningView posted:

they're always way too slow with linemen.

:raise:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I don't know why thats confusing? They've always overlooked deserving offensive linemen in favor of borderline skill position players. Will Shields waited way too long too and that's the position that probably has the most deserving players still waiting to get in.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

tanglewood1420 posted:

I don't see why Bettis deserves it over someone like Corey Dillion, who put up better numbers, on worse teams AND he even won a ring too.

Hall of Fame, not Hall of Stats, bruh.

You say "The Bus" to a football fan and they know who you're talking about. You say "The...." uhm..Cory Dillon doesn't even have a snappy nickname. CASE CLOSED.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

korrandark posted:

Marvin Harrison has nearly identical stats as Tim Brown with 4 less years of playing time to accrue those stats. Why are people devaluing Marvin just because he was drafted into an organization with a good quarterback? Are Jerry Rice's stats somehow devalued because he had two of the best QB's of all time passing to him? Tim Brown is a good player, he shouldn't be given brownie points for his team's incompetence in finding a good QB.

i think its cause he murdered all them dudes.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MourningView posted:

I don't know why thats confusing? They've always overlooked deserving offensive linemen in favor of borderline skill position players. Will Shields waited way too long too and that's the position that probably has the most deserving players still waiting to get in.

It's weird because Pace was part of the Big Three LTs with Ogden and Walt, and both guys sailed in on the first ballot no questions asked. He was just as good as those two, why does he have to wait a year?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Benne posted:

It's weird because Pace was part of the Big Three LTs with Ogden and Walt, and both guys sailed in on the first ballot no questions asked. He was just as good as those two, why does he have to wait a year?

I dunno man, I always thought Ogden and Walt were on a tier above guys like Pace and Roaf

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SA2K posted:

I dunno man, I always thought Ogden and Walt were on a tier above guys like Pace and Roaf

Maybe it's that "eye test" thing again but I watched a shitload of Seahawks/Rams games in the 2000s and Pace and Walt were always the two best men on the field

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Pace was totally un-gently caress-with-able before age and injuries set in, but his rep always seemed to suffer because he was such an athletic freak that people almost took his ability for granted. Like, he was enough of an athlete that he once ran down Champ Bailey on an interception return.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Put Tom Brady in right now, imo

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Benne posted:

I read this earlier today:

quote:

“Obviously there was a lot of support for Warner and Pace, or they wouldn’t have made it to the final 10,” said Post-Dispatch columnist Bernie Miklasz, who represents St. Louis in the voting and took part in a selection meeting that took almost nine hours.

“And when it came time to reduce the list to the final five, which is never easy, the voting trends shifted in favor of the candidates that have waited so long to get in. It isn’t that voters were against Kurt or Orlando, who were first-time eligibles. But Bettis, Brown, Haley and Shields had been Hall of Fame finalists for several years. And this was their time.

“The late Junior Seau made it as first-time eligible, but he was the one slam-dunk choice on this ballot. Pace and Warner are going to make it soon. But with all things relatively equal between so many deserving candidates, it makes sense to lean in the direction of great players who have waited so patiently for this honor.”

So the voters took a stance of clearing the decks in this year’s class. This was Haley’s 11th year of eligibility. Brown waited six years, Bettis five years and Shields four.

Doesn't suck any less, but there you have it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, you can't just put in a first ballot LT every single year.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

SA2K posted:

Ogden was amazing but I think Pace at his peak might have been the best tackle I have ever seen. Might just be because I saw a lot more Rams games during their respective careers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

warcrimes posted:

Put Tom Brady in right now, imo

If this means he has to retire immediately I support this.

• Locked thread