Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Phoenixan posted:

Superfish comes with Lenovo consumer products only and is a technology that helps users find and discover products visually. The technology instantly analyzes images on the web and presents identical and similar product offers that may have lower prices, helping users search for images without knowing exactly what an item is called or how to describe it in a typical text-based search engine.

is that for non-english markets or have they correctly assumed that people who purchase lenovo products are functionally retarded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

"this product is fine because i can work around all the ways it is broken" are always my favourite posts

*immediately does clean reinstalls of windows on every new pc*

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
will this scandal make their cool lappys cheaper for the price conscious consumer like me?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
price conscious consumers are encouraged to purchase bootstraps to lift them selves up by, so that they can afford to purchase not-poo poo computers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

*not poo poo computers being any of those in the macbook product lines, since IBM no longer makes laptops

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Smythe posted:

will this scandal make their cool lappys cheaper for the price conscious consumer like me?

no

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pram posted:

The Mac value add is having premium, tasteful hardware paired with the most powerful and advanced operating system ever conceived

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

pram posted:

The Mac value add is having premium, tasteful hardware paired with the most powerful and advanced operating system ever conceived

they ship with ChromeOS now?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

pram posted:

Go back to gbs moron

only if you come with me.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

WSJ: Do you do due diligence on software you pre-install on Lenovo machines to make sure it’s secure?

Hortensius: Yes, we do. Obviously in this case we didn’t do enough. The intent of loading this tool was to help enhance our users’ shopping experience. The feedback from users was that it wasn’t useful, and that’s why we turned it off. Our reputation is everything and our products are ultimately how we have our reputation.
he's still trying to sell the software as a value-add :xd:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

he's still trying to sell the software as a value-add :xd:

lol if u ever purchase a lenovo product ever again after that interview

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
"we dont want to get into an agrument with the security guys, they're working on theoretical stuff' l m b o

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

steve :)

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Smythe posted:

lol

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmao now computer janitors have no choice but to buy macbooks. theres literally nothing else u can buy

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

they will buy lenovo cremnob

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
windows cj's like to flatten and reinstall all the time anyway

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

standard practice for anyone that isn't a mom and pop shop or some twee as gently caress startup is to just flatten and install a standard image made for that hardware

plus nobody's deploying ideapads anywhere because even windows cjs aren't that stupid

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

"this product is fine because i can work around all the ways it is broken" are always my favourite posts

standard practice for anyone that isn't a mom and pop shop or some twee as gently caress startup is to just flatten and install a standard image made for that hardware

plus nobody's deploying ideapads anywhere because even windows cjs aren't that stupid

lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
the T450 appears to have a lovely M.2 SSD crammed into it for the sole purpose of being able to advertise it as an ultrabook

pram
Jun 10, 2001
microdrive

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

a queue for ultrabooks

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

atomicthumbs posted:

the T450 appears to have a lovely M.2 SSD crammed into it for the sole purpose of being able to advertise it as an ultrabook

When SSDs were first released and very expensive I could understand poo poo like that but now there's no excuse.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, you'll note i never said it was fine, just that no one uses it like that

i'm not defending this poo poo

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

lol more like stuporfish

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

pram posted:

microdrive

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

atomicthumbs posted:

ultrabooks get promotional assistance (aka money) from Intel if you meet their spec, so putting in a joke SSD just to hit the bare minimum makes sense

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

whats an NGFF SSD
not good for fuckin anything?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo im so sorry for ever, ever defending or praising lenovo

this is loving atrocious. there's literally zero windows laptops now that i can recommend to anybody when they ask me "what's a good non-apple laptop?". i literally have no answer for them lmbo

"buy a macbook and install windows if you really need to " will be my default answer i guess

it was kind of interesting to see their laptops get gradually worse and worse every year since IBM stopped making them. it was like every year one little thing would be obviously lower quality, just enough so you didn't notice. i bought a t420 because i had a sinking suspicion it would be the last acceptable Lenovo.

there's literally zero major companies i can actually recommend to friends and family now. maybe American Express and Costco? that's about it at this point rofl

just saw this from the other thread, too:

:cripes:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Management posted:

ultrabooks get promotional assistance (aka money) from Intel if you meet their spec, so putting in a joke SSD just to hit the bare minimum makes sense

because let's face it; nobody is going to buy a $1000 laptop without an Apple logo

gotta make that money back from somewhere

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

holy poo poo im so sorry for ever, ever defending or praising lenovo

this is loving atrocious. there's literally zero windows laptops now that i can recommend to anybody when they ask me "what's a good non-apple laptop?". i literally have no answer for them lmbo
yeah, not even last week, i recommended Lenovo to a coworker. now i feel terrible.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Gregopolis

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I have a t440s now and it's def overall worse than my t61p was but it's still suiting for Linux laptop purposes

Still has dedicated pgup/pgdn/home/end keys at least, was p much the entire reason for getting the t440s

What else is there now? I imagine it's p much just the for-business dells/hps left at this point and even that is probably a minefield

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
As usual the clear answer is to install Linux on a Chromebook. Ideally one of the cute HP ones

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

What else is there now? I imagine it's p much just the for-business dells/hps left at this point and even that is probably a minefield

business line dells. not that they're good, they're sort of middling build quality, but they have the best warranty out of anyone and so that basically covers you

on-site four hour or next-business-day and accidental damage protection, it's crappy but at least you get a replacement when it breaks

or if it's something you're buying for yourself stop being a turd and just buy a macbook

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

business line dells. not that they're good, they're sort of middling build quality, but they have the best warranty out of anyone and so that basically covers you

on-site four hour or next-business-day and accidental damage protection, it's crappy but at least you get a replacement when it breaks

or if it's something you're buying for yourself stop being a turd and just buy a macbook

do any of them come with a trackpoint? i know someone who had a dell with a blue nub trackpoint and it was a business-line dell but this was like 3 years ago

i tried to check dell's website but it's a complete mess and most pages just tell me to "find a retailer"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

good on MS for swift decisive action

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Smythe posted:

good on MS for swift decisive action

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

do any of them come with a trackpoint? i know someone who had a dell with a blue nub trackpoint and it was a business-line dell but this was like 3 years ago

i tried to check dell's website but it's a complete mess and most pages just tell me to "find a retailer"

the latitude 5000 series and up do, yes

i don't know what the gently caress is telling you to "find a retailer" stop looking at the laptops for poors, the business line is online only

• Locked thread