Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Firestarter also makes updating Kodi easy as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Also you should seriously be using Firestarter by now instead of loving around with Llama. Double tap home to open Kodi is a million times better than an icon on the front page.

Yeah I suppose now is the time to stop being lazy and do the deed.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I need to update Kodi on my FTV, still running 14.2. Been too lazy to upgrade >< might as well install firestarter now too since I use it on a stick and it works great

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

thebushcommander posted:

I need to update Kodi on my FTV, still running 14.2. Been too lazy to upgrade >< might as well install firestarter now too since I use it on a stick and it works great

I just did the same thing and it's dead simple. And now I can just hit "exit" on our Harmony remote and it launches right into Firestarter which shows our main programs, or double click and right into Kodi. Super easy and works for the in-laws or anyone to use as is.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Fire OS 5 is rolling out for gen 1 Fire TVs

http://www.aftvnews.com/fire-tv-software-update-5-0-5-begins-rolling-out-to-1st-gen-devices/

I'll rewrite the OP in a little bit.

- edit And there's this.

quote:

The addition of a dedicated Prime Video section through an early update, as well as Photo and Music sections, has steadily grown the Fire TV’s main menu over time. With the introduction of Amazon’s new Prime Add-on Subscriptions, the menu was expected to grow even larger, but instead, Amazon has gone a different route and decided to consolidate multiple parts of the main menu into a new “Your Videos” section. The new section, included in the new 5.0.5 software update, merges together the “Prime Video”, “Watchlist”, and “Video Library” sections together. It’s also where you’ll find your add-on subscription content, as well as other free content from third party apps like Crackle. The new “Your Videos” section is essentially a central place to find all the content you don’t have to pay extra for and is a welcomed new addition where you’ll likely spend most of your time browsing for the next video to watch.

The new “Your Videos” section is now the second option in the main Fire TV menu, directly under the “Home” section. There is no longer separate dedicated “Prime Video”, “Watchlist”, or “Video Library” sections. All of the content rows from the old “Prime Video” section are now at the top of the new “Your Videos” section, so finding Prime content is just as easy as it has always been. Rows highlighting recommended, recent, popular, and other Prime content are still present.

Scrolling down the “Your Videos” section you’ll find a row for your watchlist, which includes content you’ve manually flagged for later viewing. Just under the watchlist row is a row labeled “Your Video Library,” which includes a list of all the videos you’ve purchased or rented from Amazon Video.

The “Your Videos” section also highlights content from free third party services like Crackle. You don’t need to have the third party apps installed for this row to appear since the content does not require a subscription.

Lastly, you’ll also find a “Your Subscriptions” row which will list the Prime Add-on Subscriptions you’ve added to your account, which the Fire TV now fully supports.

It seems Amazon’s intention with the new “Your Videos” section is to give customers a single place to find all of the movies and TV shows that are either free or have already been paid for through a subscription of some sort. While I would have loved to see the option to customize the section to my liking, it’s still a welcomed effort to consolidate the Fire TV’s growing selection of free or included content in one place.

http://www.aftvnews.com/new-your-videos-section-on-fire-tv-combines-prime-video-subscriptions-library-watchlist-and-more-into-one-screen/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 3, 2016

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
It would be nice if there was a way to force the update, getting frustrated waiting. Really want the updated Hulu app and the CBS app being released this week that will let you stream the super bowl.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Gunslinger posted:

It would be nice if there was a way to force the update, getting frustrated waiting. Really want the updated Hulu app and the CBS app being released this week that will let you stream the super bowl.

The app launched but I don't know if it's Fire OS 5 exclusive http://www.amazon.com/CBS-Interactive-Sports/dp/B00EOUGFNS

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Anyone else having trouble with the HBO Go app lately? Not sure if there was a recent update to it or not, but every time I launch it the menus hang and then when I finally select a video to play it sits loading and then the app crashes and I am back at the dashboard. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it and it's still doing it. Initially I thought maybe connection was timing out and causing a problem, but wireless signal on the firetv is excellent and other devices in the same room get around 80mbps wireless from my router, also amazon videos etc run without issues or buffering etc. It's just HBO go stuff

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Does anyone think 24p will make it to the Gen 1 FTV? I saw some posts about OS 5 having an official secret menu for switching to 24p but it seemed like it didn't actually do anything. I'm sure there's a bunch of other hurdles before you can get Kodi in 24p mode.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

el_caballo posted:

Does anyone think 24p will make it to the Gen 1 FTV? I saw some posts about OS 5 having an official secret menu for switching to 24p but it seemed like it didn't actually do anything. I'm sure there's a bunch of other hurdles before you can get Kodi in 24p mode.

Can't find anything specific to OS5 on the first gen, but the command on the remote seems to be holding Reverse and UP for 10 seconds to bring up the resolution cycling menu, so if that works then yes?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Has anyone successfully activated the HGTV app on a Fire? I swear the page used to activate it does not recognize *any* cable providers. I've tried in different browsers so I am mildly certain it isn't just me?

http://hgtv.com/firetv

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Has anyone successfully activated the HGTV app on a Fire? I swear the page used to activate it does not recognize *any* cable providers. I've tried in different browsers so I am mildly certain it isn't just me?

http://hgtv.com/firetv

Even my poo poo for brains ISP is on there...

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Why are there so many apps like that that seem to work with every provider except Charter? I'd expect that poo poo out of Comcast, but not Charter.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

So, I got a FireTV2 and stick for Black Friday for a momTV and have had it running Kodi since. Firestarter and Kodi like to crash, on default settings or the "v4" buffering settings, but it's not constant. Every once in a while I lose my entire library and have to rebuild, but I've gone through and renamed everything so that it actually picks up during the scan.

Silly me, when I got the drat thing I thought "It streams from the internet! HD! And accepts a KB/M! Of course it will come with a full-featured browser!"... as that is a thing she needs. Put android firefox on it, install USB hub... the loving mouse cursor is an open circle, the mouse binds tend to be poo poo, and any time you go to use the keyboard you still have to gently caress with an infuriating onscreen keyboard. Anyone have a fix for KB/M functionality? Typing out an email in gmail is an exercise in futility.

Has anyone gotten HEVC/x265(?) working at decent playback speed? Sometimes if I go into the video menu and disable post-processing it will get smoother, but usually still hitches. Running latest Isengard, will Jarvis fix this?

I recently have tried to set up PseudoTV Live to make it easier to just leave going sometimes, and it runs like poo poo, but seems cool. Any better solutions?

(Oh, in case anyone else wonders, I got CoolReader to work, with KB/M, albeit fiddly. It does not, however, see books on the network.)

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

PuTTY riot posted:

Even my poo poo for brains ISP is on there...

It works for me too, now. I swear the list of providers was not present last week.

lol@cable

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

The Gunslinger posted:

I got the OS update while I was on vacation, is there an actual announcement about an updated Hulu app or something, because I'm not seeing anything, and the one on there still appears to be terrible?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
No clue and I still don't have the update anyway. I hate these staggered OTA releases.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

My stick upgraded itself

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Kodi doesn't work now. Constantly buffering. Great.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

PuTTY riot posted:

Kodi doesn't work now. Constantly buffering. Great.

It's primetime. Drop the quality or choose a different source.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Videos crap out after 30 seconds. Wonderful. Guess I'll throw these in the garbage.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

PuTTY riot posted:

Videos crap out after 30 seconds. Wonderful. Guess I'll throw these in the garbage.

lol. The update didn't do anything to Kodi.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's primetime. Drop the quality or choose a different source.

Is this some streaming thing? I'm connecting to a share off of my Windows desktop. Videos that work fine now freeze 30 seconds in. Just tried my other stick and this one works fine. At first it was saying the files didn't even exist. Guess I'll have to figure out what the difference is. So excited.

E: I thought kodi was supposed to show up in the apps library page now?

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 20, 2016

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Hey cool it also changed the screen saver from the album we selected to some stock landscape photos or some poo poo. I love janitoring my tv!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

PuTTY riot posted:

Is this some streaming thing? I'm connecting to a share off of my Windows desktop. Videos that work fine now freeze 30 seconds in. Just tried my other stick and this one works fine. At first it was saying the files didn't even exist. Guess I'll have to figure out what the difference is. So excited.

Oh sorry, thought you were talking about illicit add-ons. Try looking under the expert options and messing with the hardware acceleration. Newest Kodi disabled one of them (or maybe it's getting disabled in 16, can't remember) Regardless, one of them should be on for smooth local playback over the network (mediacodec?)

Which version do you have? 15.2?

PuTTY riot posted:

E: I thought kodi was supposed to show up in the apps library page now?

If you "bought" Kodi from Amazon before Amazon deleted it from the app store, you have to delete it out of your library on the site and hit Settings > Account > Sync Content on the box.

It's a weird thing where the box detects it as on your account so it doesn't show as a sideloaded app.

PuTTY riot posted:

Hey cool it also changed the screen saver from the album we selected to some stock landscape photos or some poo poo. I love janitoring my tv!

That one's easy. Hit the lines button when the screensaver is on and select the album you want.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 20, 2016

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Call Me Charlie posted:

Oh sorry, thought you were talking about illicit add-ons. Try looking under the expert options and messing with the hardware acceleration. Newest Kodi disabled one of them (or maybe it's getting disabled in 16, can't remember) Regardless, one of them should be on for smooth local playback over the network (mediacodec?)

Which version do you have? 15.2?

If you "bought" Kodi from Amazon before Amazon deleted it from the app store, you have to delete it out of your library on the site and hit Settings > Account > Sync Content on the box.

It's a weird thing where the box detects it as on your account so it doesn't show as a sideloaded app.

That one's easy. Hit the lines button when the screensaver is on and select the album you want.

Ok cool, I think medicodec turned itself off? Working now.

Re: kodi from the App Store, yeah. I did buy it. I guess if I delete it from Amazon then it won't show up on my 'recent apps' anymore on my other fire tv? Maybe I should just bite the bullet and deal with it being under 'apps'

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I don't think I'm ever going to get this update for my gen 1 Fire TV.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Amazon is selling their 4K FTV for $84.99, and it looks like they're selling a FTV with HDTV antenna now for $109??

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Sendo posted:

I don't think I'm ever going to get this update for my gen 1 Fire TV.

I'm stuck on the August 2015 update as well.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I finally got it last night, new Plex app is wonderful. Whole unit in general is much snappier.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Augh, I feel like an idiot. Trying to push the update to jarvis, so I had to update adbFire. After I do so, even after triple checking the IP, it's not connecting to my (online, functioning) FTV2.

Anyone have a guess at what I'm missing? Different port besides the default 5555?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jon Do posted:

Augh, I feel like an idiot. Trying to push the update to jarvis, so I had to update adbFire. After I do so, even after triple checking the IP, it's not connecting to my (online, functioning) FTV2.

Anyone have a guess at what I'm missing? Different port besides the default 5555?

I always start with the obvious so check that ADB Debugging didn't get turned off on your FireTV. Did you just install the newer adbFire over top of the old version? I had to manually uninstall it then install the latest update, installing over top broke stuff. Kill the server, uninstall, reinstall then check.

Also next time I suggest just using Firestarter, it has the ability to install/upgrade Kodi for you and will retain settings & addons.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

I always start with the obvious so check that ADB Debugging didn't get turned off on your FireTV. Did you just install the newer adbFire over top of the old version? I had to manually uninstall it then install the latest update, installing over top broke stuff. Kill the server, uninstall, reinstall then check.

Also next time I suggest just using Firestarter, it has the ability to install/upgrade Kodi for you and will retain settings & addons.

everything in this post is very true, firestarter hooked me up; i forgot it even did that.

will have to scrap my adbfire install, thanks

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I have a first gen Fire TV which had Kodi set up using the old method via IkonoTV. Now that after the update it just launches the actual Ikono app instead of Kodi, do I just need to load Fiestarter and that will figure everything out or do I need to reinstall Kodi as well?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

visuvius posted:

I have a first gen Fire TV which had Kodi set up using the old method via IkonoTV. Now that after the update it just launches the actual Ikono app instead of Kodi, do I just need to load Fiestarter and that will figure everything out or do I need to reinstall Kodi as well?

Just Firestarter. Ctrl-F the first post in the thread and you can find instructions on how to do everything.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I like the Plex app but is there any way to have the cool screensaver that goes through your library art like the PC version had?

Also, why does the icon for the Youtube App look so terrible? Is it even official?

I just noticed my Fire TV is listed as a castable device in Chrome? Does that mean I don't need a Chromecast hooked up to my TV? Hows the performance.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
The latest update hosed up my Utility app from linking with the FireTV. Also, my remote mouse app doesn't click anymore. Anyone else?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rurutia posted:

The latest update hosed up my Utility app from linking with the FireTV. Also, my remote mouse app doesn't click anymore. Anyone else?

Both work for me. Did you check to see if the IP address changed?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

Both work for me. Did you check to see if the IP address changed?

Yeah. I use Remote Mouse for Fire TV and that connects fine (mouse works, just no clicking), Wukong refuses to find it entirely even with IP address submitted. AFTv says it's connected but then doesn't DO anything. The remote doesn't work, the uninstall user apps list is not populated, sideloading an app just brings up the cmd prompt for half a second. I don't remember how to get the cmd prompt to stay up so I can see what's going on.

I also tried to then connect my bluetooth mouse to it and it couldn't discover it either. I'm super annoyed right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I don't know anything about the those apps, but can you update them from within the app? After the update on my FTV Stick, I had to open Firestarter and make it check for an update because it kept crashing and restarting itself over and over.

• Locked thread