Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TRON JEREMY posted:

But what kind of a person would you have to be to think this would be a cool thing to brag about?

Probably one proving the long held belief that D&D is the easiest sub-forum on SA to troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

TRON JEREMY posted:

But what kind of a person would you have to be to think this would be a cool thing to brag about?

Dorks? I submit the userbase of TVTropes.com as Exhibit A

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

forkboy84 posted:

Probably one proving the long held belief that D&D is the easiest sub-forum on SA to troll.

Probably, but there's plenty of people who talk tough like that online so it's not exactly a stretch. See: people who post on news articles about the death penalty offering to shoot them to save time, freepers, gun nuts posting feverish fan fiction about rahowa "Zombie Uprisings", etc.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah the final solution quote should be a dead giveaway that he's shitposting and loving the attention right now but on the vanishingly remote chance that he genuinely doesn't see anything wrong with what he said he should see a therapist because a crucial part of his brain isn't firing correctly.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Precambrian posted:

Dorks? I submit the userbase of TVTropes.com as Exhibit A
I wonder how many pencils Low Energy has broken.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TRON JEREMY posted:

You know, to tie this in the loosest imaginable way back to the thread topic, this is kind of an interesting example of how internet userbases, and by extension internet companies, mature. Because SA absolutely used to be a place that thought hobo-stabbin' was a cool thing to brag about. Many a GBS superstar career was made on psychotically violent STDH story threads. But now that SA's userbase is mostly depressed IT workers in their thirties, internet toughguyism doesn't go over so well.

I think a similar thing is coming down the pipe for internet companies that manage to survive long enough for their workforce to age enough to stop thinking ping pong tables are cooler than dental coverage. The entire industry culture of working insanely long hours and handing every aspect of your personal life, even feeding and grooming yourself, over to the company will collapse as the web 2.0 generation ages. Even if workers delay or opt out of starting families, as many tech employers make it almost mandatory they do, simple physical aging is going to make a life of conference room power naps and forced brodown socializing events unsustainable. Sure, they can churn through new batches of young workers, but turnover is expensive and limits long-term potential for a business.

More than any other industry I can think of except maybe the MIC, silicon valley is adamant about employing exactly one type of person and no one else, but this type of person only exists until about age 35, 40 tops. For that to work you've really got to rely on new generations still thinking you're the cool career to have, and that's a very hard thing to guarantee.

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You hoped he would get aggressive. Why did you hope that? Do you think it's normal to hope people give you a reason to stab them? Do you feel that's healthy? Is thinking that way making your life better or worse?

I'm offended by this ableist slur. There is no "normal," only different frequencies of various personality traits and preferences.

I feel a well developed and controlled self preservation mechanism is both healthy and making my life better by increasing the chance that my life continues when the next crazy homeless person is even more crazy.

TRON JEREMY posted:

A goon?

Precambrian posted:

Just want to stress, he wrote this unironically, and yet we're supposed to believe that Cool McGoon here actually pulled out his switchblade all badass like and scared off that dangerous vagrant. STDH.txt

It was a simple clasp knife, not a switchblade. Just clips inside your pant pocket. When he followed me I just removed it, opened it, and pointed it at the ground until he stopped following me and I put it away. Like i said, I'm not sure he even noticed it was in my hand.

Bushiz posted:

It's weird I live in a city where I interact with like two dozen homeless people a day just out and about and I've never felt the need to pull a knife on any of them.

I didn't pull a knife on him. And I didn't interact with him at all. I never made eye contact, never spoke to him, never made any move towards him.

Stanos posted:

Next time a homeless guy/gal tries to hit me up for change or a subway ticket I'm going to twirl a pistol around and hope they the idea.

No officer, I wasn't brandishing. I just took it out and hoped that they would try to make a move. Excuse me, Am I Being Detained?

Holding and brandishing are different things.

TRON JEREMY posted:

Son, you're the one who's saying it's the other guy's fault you were ready to stab him, because he yelled at you. You're the one who's saying that if homeless people don't want to get hurt, they should give up any basic human dignity. You're the one laying the blame for your own psychotic nature squarely on your almost-victim's feet.

I'm saying if they don't want to get hurt they shouldn't attack me. He didn't attack me, so he didn't get hurt. If he does want to attack me, he probably shouldn't yell like a crazy person to put me on my guard. But all turned out well, except for the people walking towards us who had to wonder why a 6' 3" guy was carrying a knife towards them and looking into the distance with a presumably focused expression.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Why did you hope he would get aggressive?

Edit: Haha I like that you just had to make sure we knew you're really for-true super duper tall, you guys. Tell us about your rippling muscles and huge dick next.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 20, 2016

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

You know, to tie this in the loosest imaginable way back to the thread topic, this is kind of an interesting example of how internet userbases, and by extension internet companies, mature. Because SA absolutely used to be a place that thought hobo-stabbin' was a cool thing to brag about. Many a GBS superstar career was made on psychotically violent STDH story threads. But now that SA's userbase is mostly depressed IT workers in their thirties, internet toughguyism doesn't go over so well.

Yeah, I think this is the problem, we're coming from very different cultures. My critics are presumably cubicle nerds or :lol: social workers who think the idea that my expression could be more scary than a knife is "internet toughguyism," which is just a symptom of your sadly limited cultural experience. If you're used to carrying around guns and knives and doing it around others similarly armed then you realize that capability without intent isn't (or shouldn't) be scary, and it's the look in their eyes that displays that intent.

One of my section sergeants once took a wrong turn and got my platoon stuck in this poo poo hole Mosul neighborhood once that was infamous for throwing rocks at our sister platoon who ordinarily patrolled that area. I was extraordinarily pissed and had to get out of my MRAP to lead a squad on foot and navigate us out over the course of an hour and a half. No one threw a single rock at us, probably because I looked like I'd shoot anyone who did.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Low Energy posted:

Yeah, I think this is the problem, we're coming from very different cultures. My critics are presumably cubicle nerds or :lol: social workers who think the idea that my expression could be more scary than a knife is "internet toughguyism," which is just a symptom of your sadly limited cultural experience. If you're used to carrying around guns and knives and doing it around others similarly armed then you realize that capability without intent isn't (or shouldn't) be scary, and it's the look in their eyes that displays that intent.

One of my section sergeants once took a wrong turn and got my platoon stuck in this poo poo hole Mosul neighborhood once that was infamous for throwing rocks at our sister platoon who ordinarily patrolled that area. I was extraordinarily pissed and had to get out of my MRAP to lead a squad on foot and navigate us out over the course of an hour and a half. No one threw a single rock at us, probably because I looked like I'd shoot anyone who did.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looking like you're going to shoot someone is rather irrelevant unless you are holding a gun.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I can not stop laughing about Duluth knifebro.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hahaha, I bet you people who were whining about the cooking derail wish we could go back to that innocent time!

I'm on the side of "Low Energy is a nut" myself.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Let me open a trading company... of your guts.

*stabs duluthbum*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think a similar thing is coming down the pipe for internet companies that manage to survive long enough for their workforce to age enough to stop thinking ping pong tables are cooler than dental coverage. The entire industry culture of working insanely long hours and handing every aspect of your personal life, even feeding and grooming yourself, over to the company will collapse as the web 2.0 generation ages. Even if workers delay or opt out of starting families, as many tech employers make it almost mandatory they do, simple physical aging is going to make a life of conference room power naps and forced brodown socializing events unsustainable. Sure, they can churn through new batches of young workers, but turnover is expensive and limits long-term potential for a business.

More than any other industry I can think of except maybe the MIC, silicon valley is adamant about employing exactly one type of person and no one else, but this type of person only exists until about age 35, 40 tops. For that to work you've really got to rely on new generations still thinking you're the cool career to have, and that's a very hard thing to guarantee.

The other alternative is that it hires on the next generation of socially inept turbonerds who are annoying in even more stupid ways.

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

OwlFancier posted:

Looking like you're going to shoot someone is rather irrelevant unless you are holding a gun.

Are you stupid? Of course I was holding an M4, and I had half a dozen guys behind me holding either one of those or a SAW. Plus the armored truck with a .50 cal turret behind them.

Edit: Haha I like that you just had to make sure we knew you're really for-true super duper tall, you guys. Tell us about your rippling muscles and huge dick next.

People who have normal testosterone levels get a warm glow at the idea of hurting people who provide an unprovoked threat. People with normal self control don't act on those desires until violence is actually committed or imminent. Maybe I'm the only completely normal guy here.

And no, I'm not particularly strong. Just tall, broad shouldered, and capable of looking at you like I'm perfectly willing to stick a knife in you (or shoot you) without feeling bad about it.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 366 days!
So, Low Energy, your story is that you brushed past a homeless man, and after he shouted, you kept walking down the street with a knife out, a look on your face that read "I'm absolutely ready to murder somebody right loving now," and a heart leaping with joy at the idea you'd get to hurt someone. Without actually looking at the man, so I guess it was just a kind of unfocused murderface.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Low Energy posted:

I'm offended by this ableist slur. There is no "normal," only different frequencies of various personality traits and preferences.

Low Energy posted:

People who have normal testosterone levels get a warm glow at the idea of hurting people who provide an unprovoked threat. People with normal self control don't act on those desires until violence is actually committed or imminent. Maybe I'm the only completely normal guy here.
pick one

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Low Energy posted:

Are you stupid? Of course I was holding an M4, and I had half a dozen guys behind me holding either one of those or a SAW. Plus the armored truck with a .50 cal turret behind them.

That's the point.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 366 days!

Low Energy posted:

Holy hell. No. No, normal people do not get the warm fuzzies at the idea of hurting someone. See a therapist.

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

TRON JEREMY posted:

So, Low Energy, your story is that you brushed past a homeless man, and after he shouted, you kept walking down the street with a knife out, a look on your face that read "I'm absolutely ready to murder somebody right loving now," and a heart leaping with joy at the idea you'd get to hurt someone. Without actually looking at the man, so I guess it was just a kind of unfocused murderface.

Well, I speculate about the look on my face. I suppose the couple with the baby carriage might have just been scared of the knife itself, who knows. I hadn't thought anyone could be that much of a wuss, but this thread has taught me otherwise.

Kekeke!
Nov 5, 2003

"Jesus christ man where did all these koreans come from!"
Does war turn people into psychos or does it just attract them?

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

OwlFancier posted:

That's the point.

Oh, you're unfamiliar with the concept of intimidating people being able to intimidate without a weapon. Got it.

TRON JEREMY posted:

Holy hell. No. No, normal people do not get the warm fuzzies at the idea of hurting someone. See a therapist.

I would like to introduce you to the idea that the US Army and Marine Corps actually exist. Also (alas) lots of police departments. Please don't feint.

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

Kekeke! posted:

Does war turn people into psychos or does it just attract them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIYoyvW3J9Q

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Low Energy posted:

Oh, you're unfamiliar with the concept of intimidating people being able to intimidate without a weapon. Got it.

I would like to introduce you to the idea that the US Army and Marine Corps actually exist. Also (alas) lots of police departments. Please don't feint.

stfu

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Get this guy a Patrick Bateman avatar.

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine
Well, I'm sincerely sorry to have riled you all up so much. Goonkind truly cannot bear too much reality, it seems.

To reiterate my original point, the best way to handle the homeless is to ignore them. Entropy solves most problems in the end.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Bless this thread and bless Low Energy shine on you insecure diamond.

Low Energy posted:

I'm a Testicular Cancer survivor with no nuts left so I've been able to play around with my T levels a lot because science rules.

When my T levels are high (or even extremely high) I never find myself desiring violence, hurting anyone or making victims of someone for no reason. If anything it makes me a bit more emotional and ego-paranoid, the aggro that sometimes accompanies higher levels of T usually seems to have root there. So even if you're a manly man man perhaps you should see a therapist and get yourself centered.

I like tussling with people because I'll always be a rough-and-tumble manboy and a fight is fun if in good faith and nobody gets hurt, not because I have LOTS O TESTOSTERONE in my body. Honestly I know women who are literally half my weight (235 lbs, muscular) and 3/4 my height (6') and they're more likely to start a fight with a stranger than anyone else I know. Bad justification, that.

Wanna get your violence fix then go to martial sports and video games. If you want to impress us with your cajones maybe you should have framed it in a way that doesn't expose your latent fear of the vulnerable on known proving grounds somethingawful dot com. I assure you we're all very impressed

Low Energy posted:

Maybe I'm the only completely normal guy here.

No you're a jackass and a paranoid nitwit.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

You hear that guys? Only girly-men don't salivate at the thought of hurting people who annoy them like some kind of action hero. Go back to law school you worthless cucks.

EDIT: This word filter is really interfering with my ability to mock idiots on the internet. It starts with a "c", rhymes with "duck" and is used unironically mostly by racists and MRAs

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 20, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's a lot of interesting stuff to talk about (in another thread) about military exploitation and the ramifications of what I've seen described as "moral injury," but our local big swingin' dick is lying about his veteran status as much as he is about his height, I'll bet.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Bip Roberts posted:

I can not stop laughing about Duluth knifebro.

Please don't confuse me(the Duluth goon) with low energy. Knives here would be stuck shut with frost or some poo poo anyway.

Duluth trading co didn't even have a store here until last year, the bastards.

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
So a woman named Talia who worked for Yelp posted an open letter of her own to the CEO of Yelp about how she couldn't afford to make ends meet.

https://twitter.com/jeremys/status/701091286325985280

https://twitter.com/jeremys/status/701091664174010368

https://twitter.com/jeremys/status/701092317046812672

https://twitter.com/jeremys/status/701092914483503104

https://twitter.com/jeremys/status/701094909072150528

I wish everybody who was struggling to make ends meet, Lyft drivers, Postmates delivery guys, Yelp customer service employees, I wish that if they would all at once go on a 3 day strike. See how well these tech capitalists do without people to do the actual labor. Sure there's guys who deserve to get paid a lot to do really smart guy grinding what makes Apple, Google and Intel what they are. But this town is bursting at the seams with people who have a ton of money because they created some app that makes them a ton of money by making others do a lot of lovely work. Before you jump in and say hey, these people don't have to work for postmates or Uber. You're right. But Uber plays this game where they entice the drivers in and offer them good money but they keep taking more for themselves. It used to be hey Klik I can't believe you still take taxis and Uber costs half as much, that's not the case any more and that extra money you're paying sure as hell isn't going to the drivers

https://twitter.com/NeilAnAlien/status/627873374505562112

Once you get a critical mass of these shittiest of capitalists concentrated in a region or city, you start to see that normalization of deviance whereby white guys making six figures see themselves not only as a victim for having to see homeless people but see themselves as saviors because they're disrupting the daily commute or classifying all of their workers as independent contractors which allows them to pay their workers less than minimum wage, all while they themselves rake in money, drive up rents and act like assholes all over town. Guys like Low Energy who'll brandish a knife and wishing he had an excuse to use it believing it's the homeless guys causing the problems in the area.

kliksf fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 21, 2016

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

No you're a jackass and a paranoid nitwit.

I'll accept half of this.

There's a lot of interesting stuff to talk about (in another thread) about military exploitation and the ramifications of what I've seen described as "moral injury," but our local big swingin' dick is lying about his veteran status as much as he is about his height, I'll bet.

:lol: The biggest moral injury I saw was infantryman upset they never got the opportunity to shoot at anyone. They did actually feel exploited.

Low Energy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 21, 2016

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Halman posted:

Please don't confuse me(the Duluth goon) with low energy. Knives here would be stuck shut with frost or some poo poo anyway.

Duluth trading co didn't even have a store here until last year, the bastards.

Oh poo poo, sorry. Duluth has enough rust belt feel that I could see this going down by the filthy casino downtown. Wouldn't be very Minnesota nice tho.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Please take a moment to note Low Energy's regdate.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Jesus loving christ, how can anyone with blue collar/service industry job afford to live in San Fransisco? I've been googling rent prices in the Bay Area and :psyduck:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Low Energy posted:

Maybe I'm the only completely normal guy here.

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re loving dead, kiddo.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Low Energy posted:

I'll accept half of this.

:lol: The biggest moral injury I saw was infantryman upset they never got the opportunity to shoot at anyone. They did actually feel exploited.

Go away.

kliksf posted:

I wish everybody who was struggling to make ends meet, Lyft drivers, Postmates delivery guys, Yelp customer service employees, I wish that if they would all at once go on a 3 day strike. See how well these tech capitalists do without people to do the actual labor. Sure there's guys who deserve to get paid a lot to do really smart guy grinding what makes Apple, Google and Intel what they are. But this town is bursting at the seams with people who have a ton of money because they created some app that makes them a ton of money by making others do a lot of lovely work. Before you jump in and say hey, these people don't have to work for postmates or Uber. You're right. But Uber plays this game where they entice the drivers in and offer them good money but they keep taking more for themselves. It used to be hey Klik I can't believe you still take taxis and Uber costs half as much, that's not the case any more and that extra money you're paying sure as hell isn't going to the drivers

I don't know as much about labor organization as I'd like to - can 1099 workers even legally form unions? I mean nobody could legally form unions until they fought and died for the right, so I'm not saying that should stop exploited people from organizing, but what are the logistics?

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 21, 2016

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

Small Frozen Thing posted:

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re loving dead, kiddo.

Were you that guy in Mosul with the stutter? I thought you were pretty cool.

I'm about to go see a movie. Have fun saving the poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Eel hovercraft posted:

Jesus loving christ, how can anyone with blue collar/service industry job afford to live in San Fransisco? I've been googling rent prices in the Bay Area and :psyduck:

If you want to spend an hour+ on BART you can live in Concord or Richmond for less than infinite rent.

• Locked thread