Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

If Tien is disqualified for having a third eye, Krillin is disqualified for having no nose.

This leaves Yamcha holding the title of Strongest Human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Scalding Coffee posted:

The whole grade system of SSJ needlessly bloats something that simply added 50 times your power level. You have about three or four tiers of it and it can be applied to every transformation, so you might end up looking like Broly and have hair that sticks up higher than the comically large super afro you see in movies. I think Trunk's buffed form was called Ultra Super Saiyan.

That's a fan-term, the official term for the form is Super Saiyan Third Grade. Thankfully, the Grades never appear after the original Super Saiyan and the only sub-forms afterwards are Super Saiyan 4 Full Power (which is non-canon and absolutely ignorable in GT, only becoming important due to Heroes needing to bulk up Broly even more) and Vegeta's Super Saiyan 2 Quake of Rage (which is basically a mastered SS2, and even Trunks seems to reach that power in the Super manga).

Then again, the system has also gotten really weird with offshoot forms like Super Saiyan Rose and Trunks' unnamed pseudo-Blue form. And that's not even going into the messes the movies add like the False Super Saiyan and motherfucking Broly.

Warmal posted:

Didn't we state that Tien is technically a tri-clops which is separate from humans? And even so, after this point he doesn't do anything at all from what I remember. Not even in the next saga. Krillin continues on even knowing he can't do much.

Tenshinhan is a human. He's descended from the triclops race, or maybe he opened his third eye through meditation, who the gently caress knows, Toriyama is not a very consistent man. Regardless, he's always been categorized as an Earthling, even if he has a degree of possible alien blood.

Rhjamiz posted:

If Tien is disqualified for having a third eye, Krillin is disqualified for having no nose.

I refuse to live in that world. I'd rather have Zamasu kill all ningen.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Honestly the BEST part of the entire series would be the tournament at the start of the Buu saga. Because it honestly just shows how much stronger EVERYONE is compared to regular people. Saiyans and #18 aside, all of the Z fighters are just a class of their own. The tournaments in the Dragon Ball series were always high tension because there was always super strong fighters, but no one can compare to any of the main guys. I imagine even Yamcha would be able to rank in the tournament if he put any effort into training. We need to keep in mind that Yamcha was never really a fighter. He could fight because he was a bandit, but he mostly just did it to steal and survive. He trained afterward but was already behind everyone else. Goku, Krillin, Tien, and Chiatsu were actual martial artists from the start.

I'll never back down from Krillin being the strongest human. He's just been powered up much more than any of the others. Even if Tien has his super ending move, it drains him too much. If he were to miss it would end him. And Chiatsu's strongest move just kills himself literally. Krillin has had his potential opened by Guru and has never really stopped training.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Rhjamiz posted:

I don't know what this "Yamcha" is,but it sounds disappointing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Warmal posted:

Honestly the BEST part of the entire series would be the tournament at the start of the Buu saga. Because it honestly just shows how much stronger EVERYONE is compared to regular people. Saiyans and #18 aside, all of the Z fighters are just a class of their own. The tournaments in the Dragon Ball series were always high tension because there was always super strong fighters, but no one can compare to any of the main guys. I imagine even Yamcha would be able to rank in the tournament if he put any effort into training. We need to keep in mind that Yamcha was never really a fighter. He could fight because he was a bandit, but he mostly just did it to steal and survive. He trained afterward but was already behind everyone else. Goku, Krillin, Tien, and Chiatsu were actual martial artists from the start.

I'll never back down from Krillin being the strongest human. He's just been powered up much more than any of the others. Even if Tien has his super ending move, it drains him too much. If he were to miss it would end him. And Chiatsu's strongest move just kills himself literally. Krillin has had his potential opened by Guru and has never really stopped training.
I thought Krillin stopped training now that he knows Toei doesn't need him for anything. It doesn't matter how many times Krillin unlocked his potential, since losing inner strength is now a thing that happens if you don't train for several months.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Having watched the video now, I need to make a correction: Mr. Satan's students (and Pizza) do appear again. Not in Z, they reappear in Super during a slice-of-life part. Apparently they're still under him, and hell, why not? He is the champion. And not quite a correction but worth pointing out, Vegeta's Final Flash takes only a third of Cell's body because Vegeta purpousefully moves the blast, it would've completely obliterated Cell if he had shot straight. The problem is that it would've also completely destroyed the Earth, and by this point Vegeta had started caring about the Earth even if he'd never admit it.

Also Trunks' evasion line is so goofy. "Hi there". I know it's meant to sound cool but it just makes him look like a dork.

And yes, "character regression" if done with a reason is absolutely character development. Character development does not need to be positive, it just needs to make sense, and considering Mr. Satan truly becomes a good character thanks to his interactions with Buu, I'd say it was done well.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

With Hercule out of the way, we can actually start hitting things for real

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Goku vs Cell is indeed the first time Goku uses the Warp Kamehameha. That said, comparing what it did with what the Final Flash did is heavily underestimating it: the Final Flash destroys around 1/3 of Cell's body, without touching his head, which meant that even Piccolo could've regenerated easily, so it's unsurprising Cell does. Here, though? Goku's Kamehameha completely annihilates Cell's entire upper body, head included. Piccolo's regeneration only works if his head is intact, so Cell actually coming back from that is a shock, since it shows his regeneration abilities are far stronger than the ones he should logically have from his Namekian DNA. It's never explained either (beyond the "from a single cell" thing the dub created, but that honestly makes sense to an extent), though my personal theory is that it's a combination of Piccolo's regeneration ability + Freeza's absolute survival skills, considering how we've seen he was stilll alive after being cut to pieces by Trunks. A single eye could still move, so that might be why, but I doubt Toriyama thought that hard about it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I did always think it was odd Cell could regenerate from a blow that devastating

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Gero somehow made a single cell with an armored casing that would survive a mortal hit. There was only one way to beat that kind of defense.

After Goku gave up, he tossed Cell a Senzu Bean since he would not provide a challenge for Gohan. Worst father of the year.

There are some amazing fan videos of the Gohan versus Cell fight. A shame we didn't get to see Bio-Androids in Xenoverse 2. We most likely will never see it unless that series leaps a century or so in the timeline.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
One of my favorite moments of the anime happens around here, when Piccolo tells Goku "Hey idiot! Your son doesn't crave fighting like you do! The only thing going through his head is wondering why his father is letting him die!"

Goku's reaction and realization that Piccolo is right (and knows his son better than he does) makes a poignant scene.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"I don't think I can. I know I can" is a much better way to interpret that line than Xenoverse's incredibly anticlimactic "Yes I can!" in Perfect Cell and SS2 Gohan's pre-battle dialogue.

On the Vegeta thing, I feel the need to point out that Krillin calls him out on it. Vegeta reacts with rage at seeing his son get killed, basically the first time we get to see Vegeta actually care for someone else, and he gets smacked down for it...and Krillin points out that it was a stupid thing to do because they can just revive Trunks with the Dragon Balls anyways. I think it's the first time even the characters point out just how meaningless death actually is in this show.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Yamcha got super hosed over by Super Perfect Cell. The whole final battle had everyone not Gohan, shooting Cell in the back and failing at it, because Cell flapped his wings at them.

Cell blew himself up by inflating himself into an enormous fattie, like that immortal guy from Big Trouble in Little China popping himself like a balloon. The whole segment was hilarious and of course, the three characters living on Kai's planet were dead and very angry at Goku, who couldn't think of teleporting to the sun. Cell blowing himself up did trigger the Zenkai boost and was almost as strong as Gohan at that point. According to the wikia, going SSJ2 has double the number of an SSJ, so Cell basically got about six times stronger from his Zenkai boost. If you are annoyed at how broken that ability is, Dragon Ball Super makes it non-canon.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 6, 2016

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I'd say its less about death not mattering. Originally someone could only be revived by the dragon balls once and only once. So Krillin, Chiatsu, and Master Roshi couldn't die anymore or else they wouldn't be able to be brought back. Had Picollo not been killed by Vegeta and Nappa, they could have used the dragon balls to revive Yamcha and Tien. Going to Namek meant knew dragon balls. A reset of those that had already died. While it's a bit of a cop out, it still fits in their rules. The same is said for when little green Dende makes new dragon balls for Earth. So yeah, it's a moot point when Trunks dies since he can be brought back, but any death just means that they can't be brought back again. Unless we find a new way after they're wished back once. Something we haven't done yet.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The original Dragon Balls were made by a weakling and were very limited in their power, probably due to Kami being inexperienced/no mentor. Dende had help, could make stronger wishes, and have a second wish from the new balls. I guess if you are very old, you learn to make larger balls and get the same power as the Porunga balls.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Scalding Coffee posted:

Cell blew himself up by inflating himself into an enormous fattie, like that immortal guy from Big Trouble in Little China popping himself like a balloon. The whole segment was hilarious and of course, the three characters living on Kai's planet were dead and very angry at Goku, who couldn't think of teleporting to the sun. Cell blowing himself up did trigger the Zenkai boost and was almost as strong as Gohan at that point. According to the wikia, going SSJ2 has double the number of an SSJ, so Cell basically got about six times stronger from his Zenkai boost. If you are annoyed at how broken that ability is, Dragon Ball Super makes it non-canon.

Goku can't teleport to the Sun though. Instant Transmission requires locking onto a Ki signature to be used. And apparently's Goku first thought there was "oh hey, King Kai, the guy who trained me and who I owe my victories from the fight against Nappa onwards, I'm sure no one will care if he dies!". In his defense, it really didn't affect him (or Bubbles or Gregory) much since they were already in the Otherworld but it was still kind of a dick move and I'm glad Super made it clear that King Kai never forgave him for that, and even less for not reviving him despite having several opportunities to do so.

This is the second mentor Goku kills too. He's an awful student.

Also the Zenkai is still very much canon in Super, considering how Black keeps spamming the everloving poo poo out of it to gain even greater power. If anything, it's gotten even more canon in Super after being entirely forgotten from Buu onwards (and also completely forgotten after Freeza, apart from Cell using it).

Also also the Earth Dragon Balls under Kami are the only ones with the "can only revive a person once" limitation. The Namekian Dragon Balls lack that (Porunga outright points it out, although the price to pay there is only being able to revive a single person at a time) and Dende fixes that flaw (at the cost of having one less wish than the Namekian Dragon Balls, something he fixes as well later on because Dende is scarily competent for such a minor character).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Zenkai works if you got the poo poo kicked out of you or recovered from a mortal wound. African American Goku is playing Final Fantasy II rules where any damage you take makes you stronger. He gets hit once in the chest and got stronger from that. He continued to get stronger from each little beating he got that were far from anything serious. Now the good guys have constantly got the actual poo poo beaten out of them in Super, where half of them may be mortal. None of them got any boosts at all. Gohan got two of them fighting Freezer and he didn't get stronger at all. Couldn't even stand against new Ginyu after that, when he certainly got stronger fighting the one-sided fights with Freezer, back on Namek. The acceptable power boost in Super is now getting angry. Just not the kind of angry where you transform, it's the same rage that Vegeta had when Gohan took his Dragon Balls back on Namek. Super is a mess.

The Dende Dragon Balls also only ever had two wishes.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 6, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Scalding Coffee posted:

The Dende Dragon Balls also only ever had two wishes.

They have three, but due to Dende's own limitations, reviving a bunch of people at once reduces the number to two. Resurrection "F" was mistaken in having Shenlong only grant two wishes, Super fixes this (by having Mai waste the third wish after Shu wastes the second). I don't think the third wish is ever avaliable apart from that one time though, since Shenlong is constantly used for mass revivals (or gets scared and runs when Beerus appears).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
When did Dende's balls grant three wishes? That sounds like more Super retcons.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

And a dig on Trump out of nowhere! Better check for connections between Dr. Gero and Clinton.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's embarrassing that this game has way more expressive models than Tenkaichi 2

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Honestly. This is the best what if story and DBZ game has had and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.
I love that it's just a recoloured cell jr. The only weird thing is that Yamcha is there, and that absorbing Krillin somehow made Cell weaker. It should be that Krillin's power is just added to his own. But it's a nightmare so I'll let it slide.
It's also a nice testament to show how Cell is different from all the other villains in the series. He literally just sat around and waited. Last time a villain was asked to wait was when Vegeta and Nappa were told to wait for Goku, and Nappa went on a killing spree during it. All Cell does is literally wait for the fight. For over a week! I'd say give him the award for "Most Patient DBZ Character."

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Krillin being small is a detriment. That is probably why Cell got weaker. They made him about a foot shorter in Super, so he is a little taller than Chou tzu.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I suppose height being a part to strength would explain why the hair gets bigger each transformation up to SS3.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The rubber came off my control stick from playing DBZ too hard. This post is a dedication to that hard-working rubber from an official Sony controller. You took the painful march to your inevitable death without complaint.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, I guess we'll have to go search for the Dragon Balls and wish for a new controller.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The sticks always broke in mine or the console itself. RIP

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Can you really call it a playthrough of a Tenkaichi game until the rubber of a controller has failed?

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The majority of my broken controllers over the years have been due to Dragonball Z games.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

All the rest of Tenkaichi 2 is currently recorded and sitting on my hard drive, from Super Android 13 to Omega Shenron and a few extra videos for the game's other features. I probably won't start uploading till the start of February but I wanted everyone to know that the broken controller did not kill the thread, quite the opposite.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would have immediately ordered a replacement. Not like it would take long to ship.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

No talk about Super Android 13 can be complete without this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBbeloUlQwc

That shown, beyond being unreasonably repetitive (although I guess understandably so, having one out of three characters means it can't have much variety), this adaptation entirely fails to show the actual ending to the movie. Here it just says Goku used a Spirit Bomb, destroyed Super Android 13 and we got a happy ending. That's not the case in the movie, which, for all its flaws, has a pretty epic finale: Goku creates the Spirit Bomb as a Super Saiyan, despite Krillin pointing out that it's pointless because it can only be used by someone pure of heart and Super Saiyan taints the heart with evil. Goku then proceeds to absorb the Spirit Bomb, beating Super Android 13 in a single Spirit Bomb Super Saiyan punch.

Not only is this cool as hell, but it became one of the two basis for Super Saiyan and upwards Goku's finishing move in the Budokai series: the Super Dragon Fist, where Goku creates the Spirit Bomb, absorbs it, then uses a super-powered Dragon Fist. And it is awesome. Furthermore, the Spirit Bomb absorbing became canon in Super, with Trunks doing it in Super Saiyan Rage for his Final Hope Slash, which was another awesome moment.

...But this did keep the Piccolo and Vegeta on an iceberg scene, and I guess that's what truly matters.

Also very important:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGJDecsf5Uk

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Spirit Bomb needed people to power it up, yet Trunks automatically summoned one. It is becoming a Super thing to be able to absorb your energy in order to become stronger. Law of Conservation of Energy be damned.

I imagine they had a somewhat different view of Android 15 when there was some sort of awareness about American stereotypes, that made him less so.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It is pretty remarkable how they consistently manage to leave out relevant information and make the battles seem way more dull or confusing than they were in the source material. This gets especially bad with things like Wrath of The Dragon.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

You mention that the movies sort of take place in a separate time line. And while I'm sure Toei never expects to really explain what the movies are meant to be I came across an interesting video a while back.

MasakoX, in case you don't know him he's the voice actor for Goku in TeamFourStar's Dragonball Z Abridged, did a video where he explains how the movies could fit into the regular timeline and the little changes that would make. If anyone is interested in checking it out you can just click this.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Warmal posted:

You mention that the movies sort of take place in a separate time line. And while I'm sure Toei never expects to really explain what the movies are meant to be I came across an interesting video a while back.

MasakoX, in case you don't know him he's the voice actor for Goku in TeamFourStar's Dragonball Z Abridged, did a video where he explains how the movies could fit into the regular timeline and the little changes that would make. If anyone is interested in checking it out you can just click this.

I'm interested, so I'll bookmark it, but I have no idea when I'll get around to it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Justice is swift but also may take up to several years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can think of at least one god and his time-displaced version who very much do not agree with this.

Trunks will never be happy. Never.

• Locked thread